ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Predictions for 2/26

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Little different take on predictions. Here are 5 road teams (one from each division) that I think could pull the "upset" on Tuesday.

Division I: 12 Bishop O'Dowd over 5 San Leandro

Division II 11 St. Ignatius over 6 St. Joseph

Division III: 10 Liberty Ranch over 7 Fortuna (hard to find one in D3)

Division IV: 13 Brookside Christian over 4 Carlmont

Division V: 14 McClymonds over 3 Clear Lake

Reactions: sachoopcoach
Interesting way to look at predictions... I'll play along here...

D1: 13 SJM could pull the shocker at 4 Dublin (I like your pick, too)
D2: 10 Albany knocks off 7 Sacramento (Not gonna let my Pilots get SI'd, even tho I'll be at Campo!)
D3: 15 Foothill surprises 2 Las Lomas (I like your pick, too)
D4: 11 West Valley over 6 Wood (No idea, really, hadda say *something*...)
D5: 10 Paradise over 7 Argonaut (zero clue, just guessin')

What are your thoughts on the Oak Ridge vs. Campo game? That looks very intriguing to me. Oak Ridge plays in a very good league and had to go through a tough SJS D1 before losing to Sheldon. Then again Campo hit the #1 team in CA facing Salesian. I've seen Campo a couple times and OR a handful+. OR has beaten a good DLS team and Jesuit as of recent. Its crazy a school of OR size to be downgraded to D2 though. Anyway this will be a tough #15 seed for campo to bounce.

Kiddmann you should go to this game. I think you are pretty close if I recall. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
My NorCal Upset Tuesday List:
Open
: (6) Weston Ranch over (3) DLS - The Cougars haven't lost since a November game vs. Mitty
D1: (11) Bellarmine over (6) Moreau - If Bellarmine dictates pace of play and keeps it close, look out!
D2: 2 Games !
(11) St. Ignatius
over (6) St. Joseph Notre Dame - SI was playing very well up to last week losing a close one to the Bells. 'Cats big 2 scorers Robinson and Begovich will need to outscore the Pilots wing Vaughns and big Campos.
AND
(10) Albany
over (7) Sacramento - No team will intimidate Albany after already playing Salesian twice.
D3: (12) Palo Alto over (5) Sonora
D4: (9) West Campus over (8) Mission
D5: (9) Hoopa Valley over Pierce - I just really like Hoopa Valley's story!

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the Oak Ridge vs. Campo game? That looks very intriguing to me. Oak Ridge plays in a very good league and had to go through a tough SJS D1 before losing to Sheldon. Then again Campo hit the #1 team in CA facing Salesian. I've seen Campo a couple times and OR a handful+. OR has beaten a good DLS team and Jesuit as of recent. Its crazy a school of OR size to be downgraded to D2 though. Anyway this will be a tough #15 seed for campo to bounce.

Kiddman you should go to this game. I think you are pretty close if I recall. Any thoughts?

This game has been my choice since the brackets came out... I pretty much had two steps to my decision:

1) Find the Campo game.
2) Go there. :)

Reactions: damim and ayalar09
Anyway, here's my lil "pick the upset" idea...

Regardless of bracket, name the lowest seed you think will make it to the NorCal Final (in other words, win 3 games starting tomorrow).

My pick to make it that far, shocking the world.... #10 Liberty Ranch in D3.

Reactions: hustlinal
D5: (9) Hoopa Valley over Pierce - I just really like Hoopa Valley's story!

I actually really like this game. Both of these teams are undersized high scoring teams. If nothing else it would be a fun one to watch in the lower divisions.

Another good D5 matchup is Argonaut vs Paradise. Argonaut is extremely well coached and Paradise has the emotional story w the Camp Fire. They’re also a pretty damn good team.

One more intriguing D5 matchup is Clear Lake hosting McClymonds. Oakland city school vs the small county country school. I like how playoffs can bring 2 teams from completely different backgrounds together.

OPEN . Salesian
D1 Dublin too much talent and best player in section/Clovis West very good
D2 Serra my sleeper
D3 anyone could win this one. Redwood #1 seed. Wow!
Palo Alto is D1 the last two years and in finals. WHy are they in D3 ???
Palo Alto could win it!
D4 . All of these teams are very average. Anyone could win

Anyway, here's my lil "pick the upset" idea...

Regardless of bracket, name the lowest seed you think will make it to the NorCal Final (in other words, win 3 games starting tomorrow).

My pick to make it that far, shocking the world.... #10 Liberty Ranch in D3.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a double digit seed made the finals in D1. There is so much parity after the top 4 or 5 teams. I’ll take Moreau at 11 to make a NorCal final if we are shooting darts at the bracket board :)

OPEN . Salesian
D2 Serra my sleeper
Palo Alto could win it!

D3 is the wild west. I've liked that Redwood team all year though. They've had some tough games against a very good Branson team. Nobody screwed themselves worse than Newman. They smashed Redwood by 22 earlier in the year to win Rose City. Then they get bounced by Las Lomas in round 1. In hindsight LL proving to be pretty good.

OPEN . Salesian
D2 Serra my sleeper
Palo Alto could win it!

D3 is the wild west. I've liked that Redwood team all year though. They've had some tough games against a very good Branson team. Nobody screwed themselves worse than Newman. They smashed Redwood by 22 earlier in the year to win Rose City. Then they get bounced by Las Lomas in round 1. In hindsight LL proving to be pretty good.

OPEN . Salesian
D2 Serra my sleeper
Palo Alto could win it!

Have to agree about D3 being the Wild Wild West. It makes me wonder had Stuart Hall won against University, I think University would have been the 4, Lomas the 3, Stuart Hall the 2, and Redwood probably remains at 1.

Leland, Stuart Hall's first round opponent, could give them some problems, especially since size wise they matchup with the Hall pretty well.

I think one of the top 4 seeds will come out of D3. Always a possibility that we get a Record-Breaking 5th game between Stuart Hall and University.

When's the last time a basketball team played another 5 times in one season?

Have to agree about D3 being the Wild Wild West. It makes me wonder had Stuart Hall won against University, I think University would have been the 4, Lomas the 3, Stuart Hall the 2, and Redwood probably remains at 1.

Leland, Stuart Hall's first round opponent, could give them some problems, especially since size wise they matchup with the Hall pretty well.

I think one of the top 4 seeds will come out of D3. Always a possibility that we get a Record-Breaking 5th game between Stuart Hall and University.

ARHS Stats will need to confirm, but if I'm not mistaken SHC and Riordan played 5 times in the 2002 season where Riordan took State. They played 2 WCAL games, 1 WCAL Playoff Title game; CCS Title game and NorCal Final. The Crusaders swept in league. The Irish countered and took the WCAL and CCS games. Riordan broke the tie in the NorCal Final.

Reactions: ayalar09
OPEN - Sheldon (fast and furious shocks Salesian)
D1 - Dublin (but watch out for little Branson)
D2 - Serra (love their coach; and have enough talent)
D3 - Redwood (solid D and senior leadership; a lot of parity in D3. Close games every night).
D4 -St. Mary’s (just better than the rest).

Pleasant Valley against Enterprise, five times. Two times in league, two times at tournaments, and then in playoffs. Early 2000s
That's the way it is in the deep hills and Hollow's of the North Section.

Here's wishing you great hoops

This game has been my choice since the brackets came out... I pretty much had two steps to my decision:

1) Find the Campo game.
2) Go there. :)

I don't blame you Kidmann32. Going to be a good one. Oak Ridge has 2 really good players (both are ranked in NCP) and a solid supporting cast. They are only 1 of 3 teams that beat DLS this year. Middleton is a 6'6 lefty wing who is more of a shoot first kid out to 20+ feet. Brown is a 6'5 slasher who has a nice mid range game and can finish well around the rim. You stop 1 or both of them and you guys will win. I bet they were 75% of the scoring in the jesuit game. OR hurt Jesuit on the boards a lot because they have some 6'4-6"6 kids that bang. I know Campo is on the smaller side but there guard play is legit. OR wan't score in the 55-60 range. If it gets in 70's Campo will run away.

ARHS Stats will need to confirm, but if I'm not mistaken SHC and Riordan played 5 times in the 2002 season where Riordan took State. They played 2 WCAL games, 1 WCAL Playoff Title game; CCS Title game and NorCal Final. The Crusaders swept in league. The Irish countered and took the WCAL and CCS games. Riordan broke the tie in the NorCal Final.
That was a great competitive series of games.

After looking at all the games listed at NFHS to be streamed tonight... I have a new prediction.

I'll probably be still up at 3am. :)

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT