#3 Union Mine vs. #11 Bradshaw Christian
#2 Notre dame vs. #10 Placer

Division V:

#1 University vs. #9 Chowchilla
#4 Lowell vs. #5 Lassen
#3 Argonaut vs. #6 Durham
#2 Clear Lake vs. #10 Modoc

Reactions: coachlittle
Miramonte on a collision course to meet the 1 seed powerhouse in the semi's!!!....... that they beat by 30 last time. Pleasant Valley may go on and Win the D2 bracket after leading for less than a minute in opening game? basketball is cool

Right. im sure you meant 13 beat the 4 seed.
But as observer said that doesnt justify the brackets. At the end of the day the brackets are suppose to get better. Im sure there are some good teams that lost last night to better teams but those teams are probably better some of the other teams still playing.

ex: Would Pleasant Valley still be playing if they got the 13/14 seed in D1?

Reactions: Genethia
I agree that the seeding was less than optimal ... to be polite.

But they did get at least a little something right ...

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
Miramonte on a collision course to meet the 1 seed powerhouse in the semi's!!!....... that they beat by 30 last time.
Point well-taken, but I think you may have your teams mixed up. Presentation is the #1 seed, Miramonte beat Eastside Prep by 28 earlier this season.

Point well-taken, but I think you may have your teams mixed up. Presentation is the #1 seed, Miramonte beat Eastside Prep by 28 earlier this season.
Correct. Meant the team at the bottom of bracket. MM on top. a lot of teams to keep track of my fault. I just think it is funny MM not the #1 or #2 seed in this bracket.

Somewhat misleading -- four of those public schools were the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th seeds.

One public school was knocked out by a private, but another was knocked out by another public school.

Of course, there's private school dominance, but that particular stat doesn't reflect that dominance. Three of the final eight are public, which isn't great, but is respectable.

Somewhat misleading -- four of those public schools were the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th seeds.

One public school was knocked out by a private, but another was knocked out by another public school.

Of course, there's private school dominance, but that particular stat doesn't reflect that dominance. Three of the final eight are public, which isn't great, but is respectable.
Yes, there is private school dominance, guess why lots of comments keep referring to apples and oranges. 7 out of the 8 Open teams are private. 5 out of the 8 D1 teams left are private. Only private school that lost was #12 seeded SI, and they were leading the entire game against Antelope on the road until fourth quarter. #10 and #11 both private school seeds won. Only 3 publics left in CO, Antelope and Miramonte-bottom half of bracket no public schools left.

#1 Presentation vs. #9 Cosumnes Oaks
#4 Miramonte vs. #5 Antelope
#3 St. Joseph vs. #11 St. Francis
#2 Eastside Prep vs. #10 Sacred Heart Cathedral

Yes, there is private school dominance, guess why lots of comments keep referring to apples and oranges. 7 out of the 8 Open teams are private. 5 out of the 8 D1 teams left are private. Only private school that lost was #12 seeded SI, and they were leading the entire game against Antelope on the road until fourth quarter. #10 and #11 both private school seeds won. Only 3 publics left in CO, Antelope and Miramonte-bottom half of bracket no public schools left.

#1 Presentation vs. #9 Cosumnes Oaks
#4 Miramonte vs. #5 Antelope
#3 St. Joseph vs. #11 St. Francis
#2 Eastside Prep vs. #10 Sacred Heart Cathedral
I guess if you even look more closely at these schools then, really the only public school that doesnt recruit here might be Cosumnes Oaks? MM and Antelope are both public schools, but have major impact players from each of the coaches AAU clubs they run (Cal Stars and JBS).
Just curious, but does anyone know if this at all is considered CIF violations? I know that Cal Stars and JBS aren't necessarily feeders to their schools, but I'm sure it has to help. When middle school kids are playing for those AAU organizations, wouldnt that influence them to want to play for those coaches in high school? I don't know what rules are in place for that.

MM has the advantage of open enrollment, so yes, CalStars is a feeder program for MM. I know first hand girls that lived outside Lamorinda attending MM solely for sports.

yes, my daughter's "05 MM team had two freshmen, one from Moraga (although MM attendance boundaries include parts of Moraga) and one from Livermore. both were studs, in primary playing rotation, finished with DI scholarships, mid major. team average without them, ended up losing Norcal final to SMS. the lure was a great coach (Hirashima), who did not have an AAU team. many of the kids played for Xplosion, and they may have known each other from there.

open enrollment applies to all the AUHSD high schools, but there's gotta be empty seats. Campo couldn't enroll Ayla Elam, their loss, MM gain. why empty seats? head-scratcher--MM has the best test scores in the district, near the top in the state. that's why I moved here, kids only started sports after arriving. my only explanation is that there's so much money in Orinda that niche privates appeal more than one of the best public educations available.

a good question would be--are there more applicants from out-of-district than seats? I don't know. is preferential admission granted to girl basketball players? I don't know. as far as I know, any kid who wants to go there can. transportation is a downside, possibly outweighed by a good education plus a sports team. the school wants those seats filled for state $, not for the girls basketball team. if attendance is any measure, there are a bunch of boys' teams that would be ahead in line for preference. please, please do research before you allege conspiracy.

MM has a big advantage over publics without open enrollment, and a coach that kids want to play for. I'd want my daughter to play for him. this will only be remedied when a flood of families with non-athletic kids in academically underperforming public districts flood Orinda. price of admission about $1.6 million (zillow=maxpreps). if you got the money, I highly recommend it for the education.

Last edited:
Right. im sure you meant 13 beat the 4 seed.
But as observer said that doesnt justify the brackets. At the end of the day the brackets are suppose to get better. Im sure there are some good teams that lost last night to better teams but those teams are probably better some of the other teams still playing.

ex: Would Pleasant Valley still be playing if they got the 13/14 seed in D1?

In the North section Pleasant Valley is Div 2 or 3, depending on the year.
Here's wishing you great hoops

In the North section Pleasant Valley is Div 2 or 3, depending on the year.
Here's wishing you great hoops
And Will run the D2 table thanks to a gift from the committee. "Competitive equity" had Logan ranked as a better team than PV. Laughable

PV will lose to #8 Silver Creek tomorrow, the dark horse in D2.
AND watch out for #10 seed Del Oro who will beat #2 Eureka.
March Madness!!!

Alwayslearning, you've got predictions for 2 of the 4 in D2, what about Valley Christian/Montgomery and SRV/Whitney?

PV will lose to #8 Silver Creek tomorrow, the dark horse in D2.
AND watch out for #10 seed Del Oro who will beat #2 Eureka.
March Madness!!!
Silver creek is going to travel 3 hours north and win on PV court? Wow thats bold

And Will run the D2 table thanks to a gift from the committee. "Competitive equity" had Logan ranked as a better team than PV. Laughable

So im pretty sure PV is happy with were they are. Logan yes lost by 15 to Presentation but was only down 5 at half. Each quarter was competitive. I believe Presentation won all quarters by 1, 4, 5, 5 yes that equals a double digit win but both schools know it was competitive.

It's a Saturday which makes it much easier to travel. Maybe they leave tonite after practice and sleep overnight and have a shootaround at a local school and come in very loose? Those Augmon sisters are playing well.

Northern Section teams are way over rated. Silver Creek and SHP could take down Pleasant Valley and Enterprise. I have no idea who did the seeding for these divisions, but #1 seeds for Northern Section Teams is a stretch. Go Raiders and Go Gators

The Northern Section representative did a great job at the meeting -- but remember, Pleasant Valley did beat Folsom.

The fact that top seeds win doesn’t justify poor seeding. That’s a fallacy. Top seeds get home games against weaker opponents. There are a lot of 9 or 10 seeds that lose that would win had they been a 3 seed.
I keep hearing "poor seeding" this yr in both the boys & girls regional brackets and yet I've yet to read a post on how to come up with a better formula for the various CIF commissioners to use for seeding?? There's always going to be teams that don't get "favorable" seeding?? But here's my take, once ur respective "team" gets to this point of the season, it's pretty much ELITE vs ELITE, as witnessed in the boys NorCal open last night as Folsom pulled off a so called UPSET of Salesian, or how about #1 seed Mater Dei going down in that SoCal open, my point here is you better bring ur "A" game regardless of what seed u may be bcuz pretty much every team is a BEAST!!

I just think CIF should list the criteria the committee for seeding in order so everyone knows how the seedings are determined. Doesn't seem like much to ask ...

And if they feel it's necessary to deviate from the criteria on occasion (which is fine), let us know that too.

Norcal Championship

OPEN
SMS (SJS) OVER Mitty (CCS)
D1
MM (NCS) over SHC(CCS)
D2
Pleasant Vallley (NSC) over Valley Christian ((CCS)
D3
West Campus (SJS) over Christian Brothers (SJS)
D4
Woodside (CCS) over Bradshaw Christian (SJS)
D5
University (SF) over Durham (NSC)

NORCAL CHAMPIONS BY SECTION
SJS 2
CCS 1
NCS 1
NSC 1
SFAA 1

WHO HAS THE BEST DIVISION?
LOOK BACK THE LAST 8 YEAR THE SJS WON THE MOST NORCAL AND STATE CHAMPIONSHIP BUT NEVER GET CREDIT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Norcal Championship

OPEN
D1
MM (NCS) over Presentation (CCS)
D2
Pleasant Vallley (NSC) over San Ramon Valley ((NCS)
D3
West Campus (SJS) over Sacred Heart Prep (CCS)
D4
Woodside (CCS) over San Joaquin (SJS)
D5
University (SF) over lowell (SF)

SJS 2
CCS 1
NCS 1
NSC 1
SFAA 1

LOOK BACK THE LAST 8 YEAR THE SJS WON THE MOST NORCAL AND STATE CHAMPIONSHIP BUT NEVER GET CREDIT!!!!!!!!!!

University is in the NCS, and PV is in the Northern Section.

Norcal Championship

OPEN
D1
MM (NCS) over Presentation (CCS)
D2
Pleasant Vallley (NSC) over San Ramon Valley ((NCS)
D3
West Campus (SJS) over Sacred Heart Prep (CCS)
D4
Woodside (CCS) over San Joaquin (SJS)
D5
University (SF) over lowell (SF)

SJS 2
CCS 1
NCS 1
NSC 1
SFAA 1

I changed it but same results how wins Norcal Championships !!!!!

SJS IN THE PAST 10 YEARS HAVE WON THE MOST NORCAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND STATE TITLES.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT