ADVERTISEMENT

Norcal Top 5 1/13/20

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
1) Sheldon (11-2/1-0) - After last weeks name-calling, controversy, as well as a Mitty loss, Sheldon is now the clear cut No. 1 team in Norcal. They could easily sit back, play their league schedule and rack up wins...but that's not Sheldon. They are challenging themselves with amazing non-league games against Mayfair, Vashon and Memphis East. From what I've heard Bagley isn't back yet, and if anyone has an update on his injury status, it would be greatly appreciated. Overall right now Sheldon is doing everything it can to lock up the No. 1 Spot in Norcal.

2) Dublin (13-2/3-0) - Dublin has played 3 league games and have won by an average of a whopping 43 points. They still have challenging games against league foe, De La Salle as well as a nice non-league matchup against Modesto Christian. Dublin's only two losses are too Rancho Christian and Fairfax. Dublin is a lengthy team that plays hard-nosed defense, as well as some great shooters. Their spot at No. 2 is most shocking of all the teams in the top 5, but they have played a difficult schedule and have earned this type of ranking.

3) Mitty (11-2/2-1) - Mitty suffered a loss to last week's no. 3 Bellarmine. Bellarmine suffered a rough loss to St. Francis. I thought about moving Mitty down further, but the talent they have is still gelling. I think even with the loss to Bellarmine they deserve to stay in the top 3. The WCAL is a very competitive league that will surely push Mitty to it's limits before CCS and States. This is a team capable of winning an Open or D1 state title.

4) Riordan (11-2/2-1) - Similar to Mitty and Sheldon, this is a team that has all the pieces to make a nice long run into the Open or D1 State Championship. Je'Lani Clark has been playing phenomenal lately and looks like the runaway POY for the city of SF. Mor Seck, has some maturity issues, but still like I have said previously, he oozes potential. Hubbard, Ngot, Riny and Vaihola make up one of the best benches in Norcal. Bryce Monroe is currently out nursing an injury.

5) Salesian (12-3/2-0) - You can usually find Salesian at the top of the list. This is more a testament to other teams trying to field more competitive teams. Salesian, after a tough loss to Etiwanda, has now won six games in a row and they seem to have a pretty strong grasp on the Tri-County (Rock) League. Bell, Sawyer, and Johnson Jr.are a very talented trio that is capable of beating any team on any night.

DROPPED OUT: Bellarmine
CONSIDERED: Branson, Bellarmine, Serra, Dougherty Valley, De La Salle

1) Sheldon (11-2/1-0) - After last weeks name-calling, controversy, as well as a Mitty loss, Sheldon is now the clear cut No. 1 team in Norcal. They could easily sit back, play their league schedule and rack up wins...but that's not Sheldon. They are challenging themselves with amazing non-league games against Mayfair, Vashon and Memphis East. From what I've heard Bagley isn't back yet, and if anyone has an update on his injury status, it would be greatly appreciated. Overall right now Sheldon is doing everything it can to lock up the No. 1 Spot in Norcal.

2) Dublin (13-2/3-0) - Dublin has played 3 league games and have won by an average of a whopping 43 points. They still have challenging games against league foe, De La Salle as well as a nice non-league matchup against Modesto Christian. Dublin's only two losses are too Rancho Christian and Fairfax. Dublin is a lengthy team that plays hard-nosed defense, as well as some great shooters. Their spot at No. 2 is most shocking of all the teams in the top 5, but they have played a difficult schedule and have earned this type of ranking.

3) Mitty (11-2/2-1) - Mitty suffered a loss to last week's no. 3 Bellarmine. Bellarmine suffered a rough loss to St. Francis. I thought about moving Mitty down further, but the talent they have is still gelling. I think even with the loss to Bellarmine they deserve to stay in the top 3. The WCAL is a very competitive league that will surely push Mitty to it's limits before CCS and States. This is a team capable of winning an Open or D1 state title.

4) Riordan (11-2/2-1) - Similar to Mitty and Sheldon, this is a team that has all the pieces to make a nice long run into the Open or D1 State Championship. Je'Lani Clark has been playing phenomenal lately and looks like the runaway POY for the city of SF. Mor Seck, has some maturity issues, but still like I have said previously, he oozes potential. Hubbard, Ngot, Riny and Vaihola make up one of the best benches in Norcal. Bryce Monroe is currently out nursing an injury.

5) Salesian (12-3/2-0) - You can usually find Salesian at the top of the list. This is more a testament to other teams trying to field more competitive teams. Salesian, after a tough loss to Etiwanda, has now won six games in a row and they seem to have a pretty strong grasp on the Tri-County (Rock) League. Bell, Sawyer, and Johnson Jr.are a very talented trio that is capable of beating any team on any night.

DROPPED OUT: Bellarmine
CONSIDERED: Branson, Bellarmine, Serra, Dougherty Valley, De La Salle

If I am not mistaken unless something has changed, but if you don’t win the open in CCS you fall back to your enrollment division in which unless something has again changed, Riordan has never played in anything other than D3 except back in the days.

If I am not mistaken unless something has changed, but if you don’t win the open in CCS you fall back to your enrollment division in which unless something has again changed, Riordan has never played in anything other than D3 except back in the days.
The new state format ranks teams regardless of enrollment size 1-64? (not sure how many total teams qualify for NorCals).
in previous 2 years, NorCal Open Division are the top 8 teams and I believe the seedings are determined by the rankings from MaxPreps, Cal-Hi Sports, etc. Please correct me if I am in error re how seedings are determined.

Reactions: ayalar09
The new state format ranks teams regardless of enrollment size 1-64? (not sure how many total teams qualify for NorCals).
in previous 2 years, NorCal Open Division are the top 8 teams and I believe the seedings are determined by the rankings from MaxPreps, Cal-Hi Sports, etc. Please correct me if I am in error re how seedings are determined.

Correct, all NorCal teams are seeded 1-64 after the Open teams are removed. 1-16 play in D1, 2-32 in D2, 3-48 in D3 and everyone else in D4. I’m not sure how much they use MaxPreps or Cal-Hi Sports rankings to seed them, as the committee makes some interesting decisions. Serra played in D2 last season where they lost to eventual state champ Campo.

Reactions: jordan24
you did your homework and put down the pipe this week i see.

Appreciate it. Going to try and do one of these every week. I think it’s important to keep track and see how things are now as opposed to when the season ends.

Also going to try and do a better job this year of going to more games other than my beloved Hall.

Reactions: jordan24
Correct, all NorCal teams are seeded 1-64 after the Open teams are removed. 1-16 play in D1, 2-32 in D2, 3-48 in D3 and everyone else in D4. I’m not sure how much they use MaxPreps or Cal-Hi Sports rankings to seed them, as the committee makes some interesting decisions. Serra played in D2 last season where they lost to eventual state champ Campo.

Out of curiousity does the south do the same. And as for Serra, if I recall back in the day they were always D2. They played Newark Memorial when they had Devon Hardin and knocked them out. I was at that game. One of the games I will never forget.

Did CIF do away with division 5 this year?

Riordan was in Division 1 last year, losing to Folsom in first round of Norcals.

Reactions: HSWIZARD73
Riordan was in Division 1 last year, losing to Folsom in first round of Norcals.
So I have been out of the loop but try to recall what i read over the last few years. I see Logan played Branson before they played Chino Hills. Not sure how that makes sense. Branson D1, guess the rules have changed for sure

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT