ADVERTISEMENT

Oakdale vs Folsom Predictions

Slow the game down. Do what Oak Ridge does. Run, take time in between snaps. You want long drawn out drives. Lots of 3rd down and 2's. (I know easier said than done). I'm sure Oakdale will have some success on the line. They have big strong kids.

As for Oak Ridge I never underestimate a rivalry game. Throw out all you know. Those games are often played with emotions that can't be rationalized.

I agree Oakdale will show up much better than Jesuit. BTW, did Jesuit get the memo the game was changed? Did they even show? ha ha ha. I say Folsom 42 and Oakdale 21.

Oakdale will get to that QB I promise you that. Oakdale's line will put the pressure on.

I'll take that bet! It's one of the most common misconceptions that has bitten people for years. A belief that stopping Folsom begins with "getting to the QB" has left a lot of very good D lineman looking silly. Jake Browning was the WORST running QB Folsom has had in over a decade and people still couldn't get to him in time to slow down the O. The offense is predicated on the QB making his reads and working through his progressions WITH a 7yd head start on anyone rushing him. By all early impressions, Bennet has speed and running ability like Trosin or Dano. If you send a guy across the line of scrimmage in pursuit, he has to not only fight off a block, close a 7 yd gap and have the speed to catch the QB but he has to have the open field tackling ability to catch someone who is usually >100lbs lighter and faster.

A good D line stops the run. But you can't cover 5 receivers in man and send D lineman chasing a QB with a 7yd head start and the speed of most schools best receiver and expect them to be successful.

Slow the game down. Do what Oak Ridge does. Run, take time in between snaps. You want long drawn out drives. Lots of 3rd down and 2's. (I know easier said than done).

I say Folsom 42 and Oakdale 21.

Totally agree, hence my comment about how Oakdale is usually adept at grinding out 1st downs and shortening the game. That will be a big key for them.

I was also thinking around a 3 score difference, unless Oakdale is able to do all the things we're saying they need to do.

I'll take that bet! It's one of the most common misconceptions that has bitten people for years. A belief that stopping Folsom begins with "getting to the QB" has left a lot of very good D lineman looking silly. Jake Browning was the WORST running QB Folsom has had in over a decade and people still couldn't get to him in time to slow down the O. The offense is predicated on the QB making his reads and working through his progressions WITH a 7yd head start on anyone rushing him. By all early impressions, Bennet has speed and running ability like Trosin or Dano. If you send a guy across the line of scrimmage in pursuit, he has to not only fight off a block, close a 7 yd gap and have the speed to catch the QB but he has to have the open field tackling ability to catch someone who is usually >100lbs lighter and faster.

A good D line stops the run. But you can't cover 5 receivers in man and send D lineman chasing a QB with a 7yd head start and the speed of most schools best receiver and expect them to be successful.

Exactly. The only thing I'd add is to design your rush to contain any escape by the QB. Contain him in the pocket. He's 5'10" at best. Make him throw intermediate passes over a taller line of scrimmage where timing and accuracy are important. Make solid tackles on his runs and escape attempts. Coverage has to take away the first read in his progression - particularly the vertical first reads. Lack of immediate success may frustrate him....not a QB who has had to deal with much adversity.

I'll take that bet! It's one of the most common misconceptions that has bitten people for years. A belief that stopping Folsom begins with "getting to the QB" has left a lot of very good D lineman looking silly.

Folsom has also shown an ability to counter with different types of screens to take advantage of an overaggressive front.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Not from me. Its exactly the same. But there were some additional thoughts offered by some folks that are pretty good ideas. I wish it was televised.
Oh not to worry. I'm not calling you out. I enjoy your breakdowns. I wish it was televised so I could record. I will be there posting updates though just for IndianPride so he can root against us! Lol

How long is the drive to Oakdale? I'm thinking of going unless something else locally is more intriguing.

This is fun, all the strategizing and all. I like all the input from everyone. Truth is, in the end it probably will not matter. Folsoms QB can throw and is pretty mobile, not to mention just a GREAT team overall. Oakdale already knows this. We might need a lot of prayers this coming Friday...

@larry legend, Oakdale is about 2 hours from Folsom. I'm originally from Oakdale, all of my family and friends and kids live there, but I live in Auburn now. I'm leaving around noon to beat the traffic and stop in at H bar in Oakdale for a drink before the game. I have a feeling I'm going to need one!!

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Ha ha... I might hit that place for a cold one as well. This sounds like a good game to go to. Drive safe.

If you can't match Folsom athlete for athlete you have no shot cause it's gonna be hard to win the chess match. The only team I've seen run zone against them with great success was dls but it was a big talent gap between the two I don't know if Oakdale has the athletes on the perimeter to man press Folsom but that's probably the best way to mess up the timing like sac high did...

Reactions: playsomeball
I have been reading all these posts, and honestly i do not see this one being close. I want it to be close, but i have seen many Folsom games and i honestly see this one going Folsom's way handily.

56-14 Folsom

The only team I've seen run zone against them with great success was dls but it was a big talent gap between the two

But let's be real, DLS overwhelmed Browning and the Folsom offense with immediate and consistent pressure from the snap. In the 2012 game, Austin Hooper dominated and overwhelmed an inexperienced SOPH Cody Creason. Hooper was a one man wrecking crew who was often in Browning 's face before he even finished his drop. No pass oriented offense can succeed when that happens.

In those 2 games in 2012 and 2013, it was the line play that drove the Spartans success. Folsom has clearly improved in that area over the past 4 years so they'll generally pick apart a zone with the time the line allows their QB's these days. IMO, the best recipe for success is being able to man up on them, but the vast majority of teams don't have the personnel to do that. Sacramento did last year and look what happened. Even then, the tactic doesn't always work.

But let's be real, DLS overwhelmed Browning and the Folsom offense with immediate and consistent pressure from the snap. In the 2012 game, Austin Hooper dominated and overwhelmed an inexperienced SOPH Cody Creason. Hooper was a one man wrecking crew who was often in Browning 's face before he even finished his drop. No pass oriented offense can succeed when that happens.

In those 2 games in 2012 and 2013, it was the line play that drove the Spartans success. Folsom has clearly improved in that area over the past 4 years so they'll generally pick apart a zone with the time the line allows their QB's these days. IMO, the best recipe for success is being able to man up on them, but the vast majority of teams don't have the personnel to do that. Sacramento did last year and look what happened. Even then, the tactic doesn't always work.
Ya if I remember correctly watching that 2012 and 2013 game, DLS ran 2-man and dared Folsom to run. And Hooper was a BEAST, its no wonder he is in the NFL on the Falcons. But ya those games were not even close. DLS whooped em both years.

Ya if I remember correctly watching that 2012 and 2013 game, DLS ran 2-man and dared Folsom to run. And Hooper was a BEAST, its no wonder he is in the NFL on the Falcons. But ya those games were not even close. DLS whooped em both years.
Browning was under siege. Hopper killed them. It almost looked like it did last year when they played Alabama. He was either getting hammered or running for his life. Our offensive line was still young and relatively inexperienced. That's why I really wished they would have played in 2014. While I wouldn't predict a victory for either side, I believe this was the big chance for the best possible game.

I don't have such a lopsided score. I think it will be 42-28. I see Folsom perhaps jumping out to a lead because no one has been disciplined enough to avoid 2-3 long balls for TDs. And, even if Oakdale is, I see Folsom with a few double move plays that will score. And I see a screen pass or two scoring.

I think its possible that Folsom won't leave their starting group on the field to get beat up again like they did last week. The "love" for Jesuit shined right through to the very end of that game....that might have given Folsom a momentary shot in the arm.....but could easily have led to a long term problem.

That said, I think Oakdale will just do what they always do....keep right on scoring in the running game and it will just get stronger as the night progresses.

I think the combination of the above two factors means Folsom doesn't get into the 50s but the game ends up closer than it would have been if they just went balls out for 4 quarters.

I think its possible that Folsom won't leave their starting group on the field to get beat up again like they did last week. The "love" for Jesuit shined right through to the very end of that game....but that might have given Folsom a momentary stroke and a long term problem.
I kind of laughed at this comment...Unless they have changed their ways...I remember Browning throwing streak routes up 50+ in the 4th quarter a few years ago. Not sure they take their guys out when up big.

I kind of laughed at this comment...Unless they have changed their ways...I remember Browning throwing streak routes up 50+ in the 4th quarter a few years ago. Not sure they take their guys out when up big.

Well, in this type of game where there is mutual respect between the coaches and its not a recurring opponent, I think its more likely.

Well, in this type of game where there is mutual respect between the coaches and its not a recurring opponent, I think its more likely.
The first two games, we could have put 80 on the board. Most starters were out the whole 4th quarter, it not longer. Even after halftime, it was mostly runs to keep the clock moving.

That's usually what makes zone effective when you have a good d line that don't allow the WRs to get in those open areas...I don't think Folsom lines has gotten better it all depends on the talent they got blocking I watched that 2014 hold their own against grant but that was possibly one of the best area teams so we will get a better gauge when we (grant) get into the sfl next year
Not this crap again. lol
lol if you feel it's disrespectful then just out score em

It's funny. Everyone still looking for the Buster Douglas knockout on Folsom.

No, everyone is HOPING for one.....including myself but having seen them play many times and having had to match-up against them, you can plan to defend them with the best of intentions and creativity but the talent gap is too much to overcome (I think this year it is even greater than last year), even with great coaching. I don't expect this to be close at all. Folsom are really good at hiding what they are doing on offense.

Folsom year in and year out gets the best talent in the area, on the whole, and they have a really well run junior program, have excellent coaches and a loyal following in Folsom. They will continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.

Oakdale has no shot. As has been suggested, the only way Oakdale can keep this game close is to keep the Folsom defense on the field or there is an inordinate amount of turnovers and penalties in Oakdale's favor.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
@TheFolsomBulldog I do not know how Folsom does things now. But whether it was Browning chasing the TD record or something ... Between 2012-2014 they would throw streaks and deep balls up 50+ in the 4th quarter. Its fact.

But ya those games were not even close. DLS whooped em both years.

They surely did. It's a shame we all got cheated out of the match up in 2014, though, which was the one season Folsom legitimately had a chance to compete. Not saying they would have won, but I liked their chances of protecting Browning pretty well, even against Devin Asiasi, with a line anchored by Jonah Williams and the SENIOR version of Cody Creason. It would have been interesting to see how the Spartans back 7 would have held up when Browning had adequate time to sling it to a very talented bunch. Too bad we will never know.

@TheFolsomBulldog I do not know how Folsom does things now. But whether it was Browning chasing the TD record or something ... Between 2012-2014 they would throw streaks and deep balls up 50+ in the 4th quarter. Its fact.
Fair enough. You stated it's a fact. Every one of their games is on YouTube from those 2 years. Show me where it happened. I only need once. 4th qtr, up 50. Browning throwing a "streak" lol

Last edited:
That's usually what makes zone effective when you have a good d line that don't allow the WRs to get in those open areas...I don't think Folsom lines has gotten better it all depends on the talent they got blocking I watched that 2014 hold their own against grant but that was possibly one of the best area teams so we will get a better gauge when we (grant) get into the sfl next year

lol if you feel it's disrespectful then just out score em
Their line is top notch. Skill positions are awesome. Sac High is going to get destroyed this year.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ;);););)

They do
No, everyone is HOPING for one.....including myself but having seen them play many times and having had to match-up against them, you can plan to defend them with the best of intentions and creativity but the talent gap is too much to overcome (I think this year it is even greater than last year), even with great coaching. I don't expect this to be close at all. Folsom are really good at hiding what they are doing on offense.

Folsom year in and year out gets the best talent in the area, on the whole, and they have a really well run junior program, have excellent coaches and a loyal following in Folsom. They will continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.

Oakdale has no shot. As has been suggested, the only way Oakdale can keep this game close is to keep the Folsom defense on the field or there is an inordinate amount of turnovers and penalties in Oakdale's favor.
not have the best talent in the area lol but they do have good players that fit their system they are a well oiled machine from youth to high school...they win because a combo of talent and coaching

Yeah, they've been kind of inconsistent in that regard IMO. For example, in 2010, Dano Graves only played into Q4 like 3 times all season. Twice against Grant Union and once against Serra, if memory serves. And he often got pulled at half or after the 1st series of the 2nd half. But the same didn't happen with Browning near as often. That's the only way it's possible to end up with 10 TD's in a single game. I think they may have had depth issues at QB one season, but @awood1 would probably be the best person to ask about that.

Best athletes too IMHO
It's around that time we go through this lol I was waiting for you to bite at that...we switched to spread so give us some tint to figure it out and you'll see how "athletes" are in space naw all jokes aside grant in spread can be dangerous we just need to borrow yall back up qb

It's around that time we go through this lol I was waiting for you to bite at that...we switched to spread so give us some tint to figure it out and you'll see how "athletes" are in space naw all jokes aside grant in spread can be dangerous we just need to borrow yall back up qb
You're going to need more than that! Lol. Nice to see you back future.

@playsomeball I know you already have stated that you believe Oakdale will be able to limit Folsom's offense and keep the score relatively close. I'm wondering what type of outcome/score you foresee?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT