ADVERTISEMENT

Paradise - Anyone Surprised?

pantera-cat

Sports Fanatic
Nov 9, 2005
I was just checking scores and noticed Paradise beat East Nicolaus 35-28. By the looks of their schedule they could possibly go 10-0. I'm glad coach Prinz stuck it out for the boys up north. I've read he's a legend up there, but this might turn out to be something very special. Being they are considered Freelance, will they have the option for the post season? Either way, good luck Bobcats!!

Was at the Paradise/East Nic game. They were bigger, faster, stronger then EN. I say a 10-0 season for them is very likely given their schedule. The Northern Section placed them in D3, so they will have a shot at a section title. D3 also has Sutter and West Valley. I would say they would have a shot, but but Sutter & WV are probably a bit better.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
The biggest question will be how they determine playoff points since 1/3 of the points are derived from league record and finish, but since Paradise isn't in a league not sure how that will be determined.

Another thing, the Bobcats snapped EN's 42-game in section win streak. Pretty impressive.

I'd imagine Paradise might be in line for an at-large birth? They certainly aren't the first to play a freelance schedule. Admittedly IDK what the NS rules are for that sort of thing.

Another thing, the Bobcats snapped EN's 42-game in section win streak. Pretty impressive.

I'd imagine Paradise might be in line for an at-large birth? They certainly aren't the first to play a freelance schedule. Admittedly IDK what the NS rules are for that sort of thing.
NS rules are a little different. That's why EN was a #3 seed last year, undefeated, and beat a team that the #1 seed lost to.

Playoff points are based upon 3 separate but equal portions: Overall record, League Record & Finish, and SOS.

Overall record points are awarded by multiplying the record by 10. 9-1 = .900 X 10 = 9 points

League Record is the same as above. 4-1 = .800 X 10 = 8
League Finish is 10 points for 1st, 8 for 2nd, 6 for 3rd.
Add both together and divide by 2. 8+8=16 /2 = 8

SOS is where it gets tricky based upon opponents division and win/loss record. If opponent is in the same division you get .75 per the number of games won if you win, 0 of you lose. If opponent is 1 division higher than you, you get 1.0 per the number of wins if you win, and .25 if you lose. If they are 2 divisions higher than you, you get 1.25 if you win, and .50 if you lose. If they are 1 division lower than you, you get .25 if you win and 0 if you lose. 2 divisions down gets you 0 points win or lose. And if you are placed in a league where everyone else is a lower division than you, if you win league you get .50 if you win instead of .25. So if Paradise goes 10-0, EN will get .25 X 10 = 2.5 points. Then divide that # by 2 and you get your SOS points. It gets tricky when you play OOS teams, because you can never be really sure how the Section will determine the multiplier.

Add all 3 together and that's how you get the points. Seeds can be flipped if head to head matchups from regular season were played and the difference in points is around 1 point, but can never be seeded outside of league finish.

So League record and finish are very important to determine the playoff points, so with Paradise being independent I have not heard how their points will be tabulated.

Reactions: ThunderRam

Overall it was a smart choice for Paradise to go this route. It is possible the Section could take all that has transpired into consideration. Most of the Kids commute up the hill to go to school and deal with all that it in-tales.
Another thing about playing up there. That field has always tough on visiting teams.:)

Here's wishing you great football

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT