ADVERTISEMENT

Public closed the gap on Privates

En4cr

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
Public schools in Sacramento/ Nor Cal area have closed the competive gap that has existed for years. Sac versus the bay also very competitive. Woodcreek and Sheldon 1 -2 seeds in Open Division, Del Oro, Burbank, Vista De Lago all competing at high levels. I will say that Sheldon seems to be the one public school who has been able to keep the highest competitive level after elite athletes have graduated.

Are privates not able to get the athletes they once were sure to get? With the opening of new schools in the suburbs maybe parents don't feel they need to send their student athletes to a private to get the quality education, with the best training equipment.

Public schools in Sacramento/ Nor Cal area have closed the competive gap that has existed for years. Sac versus the bay also very competitive. Woodcreek and Sheldon 1 -2 seeds in Open Division, Del Oro, Burbank, Vista De Lago all competing at high levels. I will say that Sheldon seems to be the one public school who has been able to keep the highest competitive level after elite athletes have graduated.

Are privates not able to get the athletes they once were sure to get? With the opening of new schools in the suburbs maybe parents don't feel they need to send their student athletes to a private to get the quality education, with the best training equipment.

At the risk of starting a new privates vs. publics flame war (which seems to come up once a year), did you not see that a private school won every single NCS division? That 6 of the 8 schools in the Open were private schools? That, at least based on seeding, at least one private school is expected to be in each of the Division 1 through 6 Norcal finals? Is that closing the gap?

Reactions: BadBucks
Oh, my, and then there are the NorCal girls: All 8 Open Division squads were private/parochials.

Times have changed. At least in the SJS. Most of the people with money live in areas where the public schools are generally considered better than the privates. Plus the area is so large, there are tons if publics and very little privates to choose from. Most of the "rich" schools in the Sierra Foothill League area are public and not private.

I do believe this to be semi unique to portions of the SJS though.

Go and check out Vista Del Lago and their facilities. It will blow your mind for a public school.

Agree with folsombulldog. Go to Oak Ridge, Folsom, Vista, Whitney, etc and look at there academic test scores and campuses and then take a look at the 1hr commute to Jesuit and Christian Brothers and you wonder why would anybody do that? Trust me I'm living and breathing it. The schools are arguably better academically and have more than caught up on the playing field. I think that situation is totally different in places like Stockton, Oakland, SF, and San Jose.

Reactions: 131Pressman
You are correct. The situation in Silicon Valley is a different academic/athletic animal entirely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT