ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Folsom fans

I keep laughing when I hear that Folsom was a completely different team in 2014 vs 2013 and 2012. Yes, they had more senior who had matured and gotten better, but you still don't improve enough to overcome a 7-8 td difference (which would have been the final score had DLS left their first string in in both Folsom games). You also have to remember that when Tagaloa and Asiasi played Folsom in 2013, they were sophmores. If Folsom players got better, what do you think those two would have done last year.

Another thing, you say Folsom's run defense was sooo good in 2014. Well, DLS had played much better run defenses. Last year I say 58-24 DLS if they had played.

I keep laughing when I hear that Folsom was a completely different team in 2014 vs 2013 and 2012. Yes, they had more senior who had matured and gotten better, but you still don't improve enough to overcome a 7-8 td difference (which would have been the final score had DLS left their first string in in both Folsom games). You also have to remember that when Tagaloa and Asiasi played Folsom in 2013, they were sophmores. If Folsom players got better, what do you think those two would have done last year.

Another thing, you say Folsom's run defense was sooo good in 2014. Well, DLS had played much better run defenses. Last year I say 58-24 DLS if they had played.
mtnjohn, your still around!?

I thought you died off after the Trinity game ;)

I honestly don't know the answer to this question...

Will Folsom again be spared a DLS drubbing at Norcal's this year?

I'd like to see Folsom at State like last year.

I keep laughing when I hear that Folsom was a completely different team in 2014 vs 2013 and 2012..

but you still don't improve enough to overcome a 7-8 td difference (which would have been the final score had DLS left their first string in in both Folsom games).

I know this is futile, because you are the least objective and educated homer on this site, but, for fun I'll see if I can lead you to water (but of course you won't drink).

If what you're suggesting was true, how did Pittsburg manage to beat DLS in 1991? In 1990, they lost by 5 TD's -- which by your gorilla math certainly would have been 7 or 8 had the Spartans really "tried". They lost by 25 the year before that.

Based upon your made up criteria, the Pirates couldn't have possibly improved enough over 1 offseason to overcome the previous seasons difference.

So, what happened? They illegally recruited?? The refs cheated DLS??? I know you'll come up with something.

Wait, I got another one for ya.

In 2003, Palma lost by 35. The very next season, they somehow managed a tie with DLS at 7-7.

That wasn't supposed to happen ....

Lastly, in 2009 and 2011, the Spartans lost by 24 to Don Bosco and Aquinas respectively. It could have been worse. Now I KNOW you wouldn't have hypocritically expected the Spartans to make up the nearly 4 TD difference the very next season had they actually played -- right?

Reactions: robbt33
It wasn't Kris responding, it was Tony Wood (me). Simply corrected the original spelling as a note. To the best of my knowledge, none of the coaching staff read or post on the board (I would assume most smart coaches don't)

I personally have done my best to not post for a couple of years. It was fun when Folsom was "improving", but I reached an epiphany somewhere along the way. I believe the younger kids summarize it best as "haters gonna hate".

I had, for years, watched as DLS was attacked for everything from quick snaps to recruiting and assumed it was just sour grapes from beaten opponents. It appeared that some DLS supporters would go to their grave in denial of any wrong doings, others were just kids spouting off. Either way the conversations weren't constructive in any way shape or form. Simply keyboard cowboys showing their machismo from the security of a fake name and a comfy keyboard.

Once Folsom started winning, I began to understand DLS's position a little better. Regardless of what you do, how much you win, how many great kids (not just football players) you turn out, people will find fault with it. And when you near the top, the shots from below just become more random, without provocation or a shred of truth. One of the keyboard cowboy's typed it, so it must be true.

I would love to find a forum full of posters that talked positively about their team. Told stories of their kid's successes and congratulated those competitors that played well, win or lose. After figuring out the "ignore" button for the worst of those posters, this forum is almost enjoyable to read. But I see a good volume of "ignored content" notes to know that the atmosphere hasn't changed, just that my rose colored glasses are working. Haters ARE gonna hate.

I don't know G61. And while I will leave it to the keyboard cowboys out there to debate and draw conclusions about and between the coaching staffs and programs, I am proud of every comparison (no matter how ridiculous) between Folsom and DLS.

There was once a time when, if DLS and Folsom were in the same sentence, it must have been a wrestling discussion! I have spent enough time around the program to know (and I have to assume the same is true of DLS based on what I see) that the kids and coaches work their tails off to have the successes that they have, playing with their neighbors and friends, whomever is put in front of them on the field. This is all new to Folsom and as the smart posters will point out, it changes every year. Folsom has built the program from the MMs through the high school and I hope that means that the trend continues for the foreseeable future but there are no guarantees.

DLS has maintained a level of excellence over a period of time that is unmatched. Like I said, it is an honor to be involved in the same discussions. They have earned that respect and unfortunately the scrutiny that comes with it. I'll leave the fault finding and criticism to others, because yes, haters ARE gonna hate.

awood1....Tony. ...Quoted your entire post, thought it worth rereading. A great post, wished I had written it myself.
Don't be a stranger; there is never an over abundance of thoughtful, contributory posts/threads that remind many of us why we read and participate on these boards.

My work requires me to drive all around the Bay Area and parts of Nor Cal. One thing most obvious is that those who honk their horns frequently and loudly are usually the worst drivers.

Folsom would have absolutely given DLS a game last season. Obviously, I would still have put DLS as a 14-pt favorite, but Folsom had a chance. Instead they both walked away with State titles, and the conversation will have to be left at....would have been, could have been, should have been.

Let's say DLS wins again last year. Imagine the uproar when Folsom doesn't get a chance at state again...

One can argue about the elimination of the Open play in game from both sides. One can also argue (and apparently many still do) about the outcome of a DLS Folsom game. There is no question it would have been a great one to watch and one that I wish could have taken place. The positive outcome was the two best teams from the North were able to play for and win state titles. My regret was that the runner up of the PAC5 was not Folsom's opponent. I may be showing my NorCal homerism but I believe Folsom could have beat anyone in California last year and it would have been nice for a clean NorCal sweep of SoCal's best last year. With the new playoff format there is a chance that we will get to see this match up this year and I look forward to it.

One can argue about the elimination of the Open play in game from both sides. One can also argue (and apparently many still do) about the outcome of a DLS Folsom game. There is no question it would have been a great one to watch and one that I wish could have taken place. The positive outcome was the two best teams from the North were able to play for and win state titles. My regret was that the runner up of the PAC5 was not Folsom's opponent. I may be showing my NorCal homerism but I believe Folsom could have beat anyone in California last year and it would have been nice for a clean NorCal sweep of SoCal's best last year. With the new playoff format there is a chance that we will get to see this match up this year and I look forward to it.
Well said 2wcats.

What about Trinity?

I'm actually rooting for your Bulldogs this year. I really do hope they avoid playing DLS again this year.

Folsom has always been the 2nd best team in NorCal in my books...Love seeing them play!

Please have your fan base contact CIF and force them do the same thing like last year...It's important that we see Folsom at State. Honestly, I feel disappointment when DLS continues to clobber your boys year in and year out....We are left without Folsom's presence at State; it's a waste...Like I said, your boys are definitely State worthy...Let's not continue down that path to utter disappointment; it's like sticking your hand down a meat grinder when you play against DLS...Why do it???....It's a no win situation for your boys...

Last edited:
What about Trinity?

I'm actually rooting for your Bulldogs this year. I really do hope they avoid playing DLS again this year.

Folsom has always been the 2nd best team in NorCal in my books...Love seeing them play!

Please have your fan base contact CIF and force them do the same thing like last year...It's important that we see Folsom at State. Honestly, I feel disappointment when DLS continues to clobber your boys year in and year out....We are left without Folsom's presence at State; it's a waste...Like I said, your boys are definitely State worthy...Let's not continue down that path to utter disappointment; it's like sticking your hand down a meat grinder when you play against DLS.
Undefeated.

Yes, you're undefeated again this year...Let's keep it that way by avoiding DLS at Norcals again like last year. I'd like to see the Bulldogs at State....That's all I'm saying.
No one is avoiding anyone. If the match up is set, they will play. If it is not, they won't.

Go Dogs!

No one is avoiding anyone. If the match up is set, they will play. If it is not, they won't.
Go Dogs!

Just have yourself and your fan base contact the AD and relay to CIF that last year's methodology was the best for NorCal overall.

Why do you insist on going heads up against DLS? You'll lose, and we (NorCal) lose out on seeing the 2nd best team play in State. It's a NO WIN situation for everyone...the team, the fans, and especially their far-off enthusiasts like me.

Go Dogs!

That's not nice, Coolio. Don't you see that G61 and the rest of the Folsom fan base have a very important task at hand???

They need to tell CIF to avoid pairing them with DLS at Norcals...They must do this at all costs to get to State.

You mocking G61 will only drive him to insanity such that he'll actually promote a fatal matchup against DLS like '12 & '13 and remove themselves from State. We don't want that!

Go Dogs!
The Internet would literally break if Folsom upset DLS in a Norcal game this year.

It would literally break.

Go Dogs! ;)

Reactions: TedSmithers
Can you imagine what would've happened though. Imagine Folsom losing last year and not getting a chance at state, the out roar it woulda caused.

The Internet would literally break if Folsom upset DLS in a Norcal game this year.

It would literally break. Go Dogs! ;)

Totally agree! That's great wishful thinking!!! I've never imagined such fantasy be put to words...

Go Dogs!

Reactions: G61

As stated before, I appreciate the praise for the Bulldogs. That said, I have always been realistic about what they are and what they are capable of. Yes, this years team is a very good HS team. Last years was a GREAT HS team. Given the match-up against anyone last year, I liked our chances. The team was experienced and healthy (rare in any season).

I believe G61 stated it well when he said we were playing with "house money" this year. Losing almost every starter from last year on both sides of the ball usually means overusing the term "rebuilding". I came in to this year expecting us to improve as the season unfolded and most likely taking a few on the chin on the way to the playoffs. We still aren't there and have 2 quality opponents in front of us. Oak Ridge and Woodcreek are very good teams AND the fact that Oak Ridge is our neighbor, rival, arch nemesis, and have lost (I believe) 9 in a row to the Bulldogs, plays to every cliche' of "throw out the record books".

I'll root for the Bulldogs against any opponent put in front of them. But I am also familiar enough with 16-18yr old boys (endured raising a few now) to know that you can't predict with any certainty what you are going to get on any Friday night. The 2015 Bulldogs are tough to beat, the 2014 Bulldogs were (based on the opponents put in front of them) unbeatable.

funnel the D-1 and "open" bracket champions to 1 final norcal game in which the winner goes to State to rep norcal as the Open north rep and the loser goes as the D-1 north team then they play with out knocking either out, do the same down south to keep everything honest and fair.

As stated before, I appreciate the praise for the Bulldogs. That said, I have always been realistic about what they are and what they are capable of. Yes, this years team is a very good HS team. Last years was a GREAT HS team. Given the match-up against anyone last year, I liked our chances. The team was experienced and healthy (rare in any season).

I believe G61 stated it well when he said we were playing with "house money" this year. Losing almost every starter from last year on both sides of the ball usually means overusing the term "rebuilding". I came in to this year expecting us to improve as the season unfolded and most likely taking a few on the chin on the way to the playoffs. We still aren't there and have 2 quality opponents in front of us. Oak Ridge and Woodcreek are very good teams AND the fact that Oak Ridge is our neighbor, rival, arch nemesis, and have lost (I believe) 9 in a row to the Bulldogs, plays to every cliche' of "throw out the record books".

I'll root for the Bulldogs against any opponent put in front of them. But I am also familiar enough with 16-18yr old boys (endured raising a few now) to know that you can't predict with any certainty what you are going to get on any Friday night. The 2015 Bulldogs are tough to beat, the 2014 Bulldogs were (based on the opponents put in front of them) unbeatable.
VERY well said awood1 :)

I am just happy that we are the most talked about team on this site. Hands down :)

DLS should just schedule Folsom first game. DLS will beat them by 28 (they won't run up the score like the 2014 Bulldogs did to their opponents), and we can go the rest of the season without G61 crying everyday on this blog.

DLS should just schedule Folsom first game. DLS will beat them by 28 (they won't run up the score like the 2014 Bulldogs did to their opponents), and we can go the rest of the season without G61 crying everyday on this blog.
I think you should be more worried about your "big" playoff game against Fort Bragg this year ;)

Folsom and DLS is way above your level in the sticks :):)

funnel the D-1 and "open" bracket champions to 1 final norcal game in which the winner goes to State to rep norcal as the Open north rep and the loser goes as the D-1 north team then they play with out knocking either out, do the same down south to keep everything honest and fair.

So.. you want to see DLS and Elk Grove go at it?

You mean "reward" teams for "losing" in the playoffs and let them move on? Total pussificstion and makes the whole point of of competing absolutely pointless. Wonder how many more Super Bowl titles the 49ers could claim if they were allowed to keep playing after losing to the Packers, Cowboys etc and getting do overs.

CCS tried this idea last year. Worked out pretty good for Serra. They saw the point of not playing a pointless game (they had already "lost" in the playoffs) and we saw how well it worked out. Just not a fan of everyone is a winner and gets a trophy and there is no such thing as competing.

And Folsom didn't have their 5* (going to Alabama) offensive and defensive lineman when they played DLS, so don't use that crap, it has no bearing on 2014.

Also, DLS's arguably best ever player, DJ Williams, didn't even come from DLS's area. He was recruited and would have went to Grant had they not given him a free ride and handed his mom a job in the area. Talk about a bunch of BS!
Don't talk about what you know NOTHING about. DJ was never going to attend Grant. I worked with his stepdad and
And Folsom didn't have their 5* (going to Alabama) offensive and defensive lineman when they played DLS, so don't use that crap, it has no bearing on 2014.

Also, DLS's arguably best ever player, DJ Williams, didn't even come from DLS's area. He was recruited and would have went to Grant had they not given him a free ride and handed his mom a job in the area. Talk about a bunch of BS!
Joke of a comment. I worked with his step dad. And know DJ way better then you or most. NEVER was he going to attend Grant. If his parents didn't bust there ass DJ would have gone to Pinole valley. So it turns out your full of BS. Facts not thoughts.

I think DLS and Folsom need to follow the Blue Mountain State format.
Call back the players and find a cornfield....

Reactions: awood1
JimmyZ and G1 THIS IS FOR YOU. DLS fans can talk all they want about their greatest player ever and who John Madden once called the ONLY high school kid ready to go straight to the NFL , one of their own. Reality is that Derwin Williams and his sons Worell (CAL and SF 49ers)and Gerwin(marshall and Sac ST) along with a couple sisters i believe Wonya and Chelsea, as well as Uncles Channing (Arizona State)and Possibly uncle Tristan all went to GRANT HIGH... DJ the son or DERWIN has this on his WIKEPDIA page

High school career[edit]
Williams, born and raised in Sacramento, California, lived with family in the Bay Area during high school. Williams did this in order to play high school football at Concord, California's De La Salle High School. He earned USA Today Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior and was regarded as the top defensive player nationally. He compiled 130 tackles (87 solo) and rushed for 1,974 yards, six sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumbles recoveries. On offense, he broke the school record for touchdowns in a season with 42 (33 rushing, five receiving, three punt return and one kickoff return).[2]

JimmyZ and G1 THIS IS FOR YOU. DLS fans can talk all they want about their greatest player ever and who John Madden once called the ONLY high school kid ready to go straight to the NFL , one of their own. Reality is that Derwin Williams and his sons Worell (CAL and SF 49ers)and Gerwin(marshall and Sac ST) along with a couple sisters i believe Wonya and Chelsea, as well as Uncles Channing (Arizona State)and Possibly uncle Tristan all went to GRANT HIGH... DJ the son or DERWIN has this on his WIKEPDIA page

High school career[edit]
Williams, born and raised in Sacramento, California, lived with family in the Bay Area during high school. Williams did this in order to play high school football at Concord, California's De La Salle High School. He earned USA Today Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior and was regarded as the top defensive player nationally. He compiled 130 tackles (87 solo) and rushed for 1,974 yards, six sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumbles recoveries. On offense, he broke the school record for touchdowns in a season with 42 (33 rushing, five receiving, three punt return and one kickoff return).[2]
Great info HEAT! Can you imagine what the DLS people would be saying if Jake Browning lived in Concord and moved to Folsom to play his high school football there!?

Oh man....The Internet would BREAK!!! ;)

DLS people- "That was a long time ago and it doesn't count!" LMFAO! :):)

DJ the son or DERWIN has this on his WIKEPDIA page

Speaking of Wiki...I love the comparisons between DLS & Folsom on their write ups:

Folsom:

Athletics

The varsity football team for the 2010 Season won the California Interscholastic Federation Division II State Championship. On December 18, 2010 the Bulldogs defeated Serra, 48-20 at the State Bowl at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. Quarterback Dano Graves was later named Max Preps National High School Player of the Year for his outstanding performance on the field.

In 2006 and 2008, the varsity cheerleading squad took second place in the Universal Cheerleading Association's High School National Championship losing to Colleyville Heritage High School in 2006 and Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in 2008.

In 2013, Folsom quarterback Jake Browning was named the 2013 California State Gatorade Player of the Year. He led his Bulldogs to another section championship and guided the Bulldogs to the California Interscholastic Federation Northern California Regional Championship, where the Bulldogs lost to De La Salle High School (Concord, California).

In 2014, the varsity football team defeated Oceanside High School 68-7 for the CIF Division I State Championship title, their second state title in four years.

Notable alumni (only football players)

DLS:

Football (Yes...DLS has a whole section dedicated to football)

De La Salle High School has long been recognized nationwide for its extraordinary football tradition. The team, when coached by Bob Ladouceur, holds the national record 151-game winning streak spanning from 1992 to 2004, more than doubling the previous record of 72. The streak ended when they were defeated on September 4, 2004, by Bellevue (Wa.) HS, outside Seattle.[4] De La Salle finished the 2007 football season 13-0 and as state champions. In 2009 De La Salle defeated Crenshaw 28-14 to win the state title again.[5]

In 2010 De La Salle defeated Servite, ranked #7 in the nation, 48-8 to win the state title game for a second straight year. De La Salle finished the season 14-0 and ranked #1 in the nation by Maxpreps. During the span of the 151-game winning streak, De La Salle was named national champion in seven different years; once by ESPN (1994), five times by USA Today (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003), and once by the National Sports News Service (1999). The Spartans have been named national champions by ESPNRISE.com (formerly Student Sports) six times, including four straight years (2000–03).[6] They have also been honored as the top team in California 12 times (1992, 1994–2003, 2007) and competed in 25 California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) North Coast Section (NCS) championship games with 23 victories (12 of which were attained during the 151-game winning streak).[6] For the 2008-2009 school year, De La Salle was ranked the 18th best high school football team in the country by USA Today, the 37th by ESPNRISE, the 19th by MaxPreps, and the 14th by Sports Illustrated.[7]

The De La Salle football team was the subject of two 2003 books. One Great Game: Two Teams, Two Dreams, in the First Ever National Championship High School Football Game, by Don Wallace, follows the undefeated 2001 season and national championship showdown withLong Beach Polytechnic High School,[8] and splits its focus between the schools. When the Game Stands Tall was written by Contra Costa Times sportswriter Neil Hayes, who followed the team for practices, games, and meetings during its undefeated 2002 season. The foreword was written by former Oakland Athletics manager Tony LaRussa. Don Wallace also wrote about De La Salle and Ladouceur in an article called "The Soul of a Sports Machine." published in the October 2003 edition of Fast Company magazine.

The 2014 movie When the Game Stands Tall follows the team after the program's winning streak.

Speaking of Wiki...I love the comparisons between DLS & Folsom on their write ups:

Folsom:

Athletics

The varsity football team for the 2010 Season won the California Interscholastic Federation Division II State Championship. On December 18, 2010 the Bulldogs defeated Serra, 48-20 at the State Bowl at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. Quarterback Dano Graves was later named Max Preps National High School Player of the Year for his outstanding performance on the field.

In 2006 and 2008, the varsity cheerleading squad took second place in the Universal Cheerleading Association's High School National Championship losing to Colleyville Heritage High School in 2006 and Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in 2008.

In 2013, Folsom quarterback Jake Browning was named the 2013 California State Gatorade Player of the Year. He led his Bulldogs to another section championship and guided the Bulldogs to the California Interscholastic Federation Northern California Regional Championship, where the Bulldogs lost to De La Salle High School (Concord, California).

In 2014, the varsity football team defeated Oceanside High School 68-7 for the CIF Division I State Championship title, their second state title in four years.

DLS:

Football (Yes...DLS has a whole section dedicated to football)

De La Salle High School has long been recognized nationwide for its extraordinary football tradition. The team, when coached by Bob Ladouceur, holds the national record 151-game winning streak spanning from 1992 to 2004, more than doubling the previous record of 72. The streak ended when they were defeated on September 4, 2004, by Bellevue (Wa.) HS, outside Seattle.[4] De La Salle finished the 2007 football season 13-0 and as state champions. In 2009 De La Salle defeated Crenshaw 28-14 to win the state title again.[5]

In 2010 De La Salle defeated Servite, ranked #7 in the nation, 48-8 to win the state title game for a second straight year. De La Salle finished the season 14-0 and ranked #1 in the nation by Maxpreps. During the span of the 151-game winning streak, De La Salle was named national champion in seven different years; once by ESPN (1994), five times by USA Today (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003), and once by the National Sports News Service (1999). The Spartans have been named national champions by ESPNRISE.com (formerly Student Sports) six times, including four straight years (2000–03).[6] They have also been honored as the top team in California 12 times (1992, 1994–2003, 2007) and competed in 25 California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) North Coast Section (NCS) championship games with 23 victories (12 of which were attained during the 151-game winning streak).[6] For the 2008-2009 school year, De La Salle was ranked the 18th best high school football team in the country by USA Today, the 37th by ESPNRISE, the 19th by MaxPreps, and the 14th by Sports Illustrated.[7]

The De La Salle football team was the subject of two 2003 books. One Great Game: Two Teams, Two Dreams, in the First Ever National Championship High School Football Game, by Don Wallace, follows the undefeated 2001 season and national championship showdown withLong Beach Polytechnic High School,[8] and splits its focus between the schools. When the Game Stands Tall was written by Contra Costa Times sportswriter Neil Hayes, who followed the team for practices, games, and meetings during its undefeated 2002 season. The foreword was written by former Oakland Athletics manager Tony LaRussa. Don Wallace also wrote about De La Salle and Ladouceur in an article called "The Soul of a Sports Machine." published in the October 2003 edition of Fast Company magazine.

The 2014 movie When the Game Stands Tall follows the team after the program's winning streak.

I like the first one ;)

Still doesn't address the DJ issue. And for the record Ted I have no dog in the fight. I will tell you I was coached by a very respected Coach who coached at DLS. I watched DLS football practice all the time and have friends who are boosters of the program.

Still doesn't address the DJ issue. And for the record Ted I have no dog in the fight. I will tell you I was coached by a very respected Coach who coached at DLS. I watched DLS football practice all the time and have friends who are boosters of the program.
HEAT- Not even worth bothering. NOBODY from there will EVER admit ANY sort of wrong doing or undue influence. Ever.

As far as they are concerned, they are on a level playing field with everyone else. Anything bad is just one big coincidence or conspiracy.

High school career[edit]

So, he was forced to go to DLS against his will?

He entered as a freshman and graduated after his senior year.

One could even say, quite reasonably, that the DLS program helped him elevate his strength, conditioning, and game to a level higher than it would have been otherwise. After all, of all the Williams kids, which one had the most athletic success?

So, he was forced to go to DLS against his will?

He entered as a freshman and graduated after his senior year.

One could even say, quite reasonably, that the DLS program helped him elevate his strength, conditioning, and game to a level higher than it would have been otherwise. After all, of all the Williams kids, which one had the most athletic success?
mvsact? Really? C'mon...

Look at it from an outside perspective. Imagine it was another school and the same thing happened with a similar prospect. What if he had gone to Folsom or Rocklin? Or Oakridge? Or Del Oro?

Would those schools simply be "elevating his game?"

C'mon dude.....

I brought this up before. Just imagine DJ Williams on the same team with Onterrio Smith and Donte Stallworth or later with Onterrio and Paris Warren. Of course, they had other outstanding players other than those NFL'ers.

Had Williams gone to Grant Union, that might have tipped the scales in the Pacers favor against Elk Grove in 1997 and 1998.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT