ADVERTISEMENT

Rewarding Teams that shouldn’t have been in Section open

H.E.A.T.

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2010
HMB lost 3 games by 26, 19, and 24
Branham played nobody all year
Lost in open by 16 and 17 and beat HMB and got #1 seed in D2

Bellarmine 10-17 lost 6 of 7, 11 of last 15, 7 of those by double digits. 0-3 in open including 47 point lost to Riordan .
The reward is a #5 seed home game a 28-4 montgomery. Larry gotta be heated

Reactions: larry legend33
Heat, its so bad. How in the world is sheldon, WR, Inderkum, Franklin sitting at home.
This has to be fixed.

Reactions: ayalar09
Heat, its so bad. How in the world is sheldon, WR, Inderkum, Franklin sitting at home.
This has to be fixed.
Inderkum isn’t sitting at home. But yes the system is a disgrace. Whoever runs the SJS should be canned immediately. Makes it as hard as possible on all our teams.

Reactions: ayalar09

Bellarmine 10-17 lost 6 of 7, 11 of last 15, 7 of those by double digits. 0-3 in open including 47 point lost to Riordan .
The reward is a #5 seed home game a 28-4 montgomery. Larry gotta be

I don’t like pure competitive equity. Luck of the draw on seeds. Actively rewards mediocre WCAL/ large publics. Hurts smaller schools, especially small publics.

I see one first round upset. Montgomery over Bellarmine.

Not really sure that would be an upset at all? I’d say Monty would be the favorite in that one.
I saw Bellarmine lose to Monte Vista earlier this year, and was not impressed. I was surprised to see they made it to NorCals, much less being the #5 seed in D2 and hosting. Maybe they had some early injuries or a transfer that wasn’t eligible yet? I have not seen Monty play this year, but I know they lost to both Campo and Benicia. Could be a good matchup.

Not really sure that would be an upset at all? I’d say Monty would be the favorite in that one.
Yeah agree. Still have a long drive down to a SJ school and have to play an away game when clearly they earned a home game.

Why 16 teams per division? Makes zero sense, honestly there are not that many good teams that deserve to continue playing. I believe the sections and CIF have a difficult puzzles to put the seeds together. I'm not sure that there is a committee of folks that have enough knowledge of high school girls basketball, so without any personal knowledge or being close to the entire season it forces them to use Max Prep for information. my suggestion is Maybe the coaches need to get back involved in the seeding process. Cut the teams in half and it will immediately make the seeding process much easier and most importantly more accurate. Why do we need to seed teams without winning overall records, its a false sense of success, we're sending the wrong message, not everyone needs a ribbon. Seems simple, two really easy changes and the process will become much more accurate overnight. Or we can make all kinds of accuses why it won't work!

I saw Bellarmine lose to Monte Vista earlier this year, and was not impressed. I was surprised to see they made it to NorCals, much less being the #5 seed in D2 and hosting. Maybe they had some early injuries or a transfer that wasn’t eligible yet? I have not seen Monty play this year, but I know they lost to both Campo and Benicia. Could be a good matchup
no team that goes 10-17 and loses 11of last 15 and 5 of last 6 once by 47 should be playing. There are teams like 26-4 Weston Ranch whose losses were to St Joseph , a 29 win juggernaut from louisiana and Inderkum.
Sheldon was only 20-10 but won Delta League , beat NCS champ DV as well as Clayton Valley , and every team they played outside of league won 20+ games and still in playoffs. They also had best SoS in section.
It’s not states fault but more on SJS for not implementing An Open that rewards mediocrity to some teams in other sections while punishing some good teams having them all in D1. This Year i probably would have only rewarded Riordan, Mitty an open bid . Teams shouldn’t be able to lose 3-4 games in a row and advance while others have a great season and lose once and be done. Even a 26-4 Monterey trail needed an at large to get in .

no team that goes 10-17 and loses 11of last 15 and 5 of last 6 once by 47 should be playing. There are teams like 26-4 Weston Ranch whose losses were to St Joseph , a 29 win juggernaut from louisiana and Inderkum.
Sheldon was only 20-10 but won Delta League , beat NCS champ DV as well as Clayton Valley , and every team they played outside of league won 20+ games and still in playoffs. They also had best SoS in section.
It’s not states fault but more on SJS for not implementing An Open that rewards mediocrity to some teams in other sections while punishing some good teams having them all in D1. This Year i probably would have only rewarded Riordan, Mitty an open bid . Teams shouldn’t be able to lose 3-4 games in a row and advance while others have a great season and lose once and be done. Even a 26-4 Monterey trail needed an at large to get in .
The CCS, OAL and whatever the San Francisco section is should merge. They are all tiny and undeserving or their own section. On the other hand you the SJS and NCS that are huge and competitive.

Agree with everyone on my comment of Montgomery over Bellarmine being an upset. I was merely basing that on the #5 vs # 12 seeding.

Reactions: bella123
The CCS, OAL and whatever the San Francisco section is should merge. They are all tiny and undeserving or their own section. On the other hand you the SJS and NCS that are huge and competitive.
San Joaquin Section has 184 teams. North Coast Section has 165 teams. Central Coast Section has 134 teams.
I don't think you can truthfully say the CCS is tiny compared to the NCS and the SJS, and neither of those are huge compared to the CCS. The SJS and NCS are larger than the CCS.

Most CCS teams were NCS teams prior to the formation of the CCS. Only schools formed after 1968 might never have been a member of the NCS.

San Joaquin Section has 184 teams. North Coast Section has 165 teams. Central Coast Section has 134 teams.
I don't think you can truthfully say the CCS is tiny compared to the NCS and the SJS, and neither of those are huge compared to the CCS. The SJS and NCS are larger than the CCS.

Most CCS teams were NCS teams prior to the formation of the CCS. Only schools formed after 1968 might never have been a member of the NCS.
Fair enough on the size of the CCS I didn’t know it had that many teams. When you just see the open year after year with then entire WCAL in it plus maybe a Sacred Heart prep it’s not really an open.

Unfortunately, the prevailing mindset at a lot of the public schools on the Peninsula is to complain about the private schools and transfers but do little to try to close the gap and compete with them. There are a few schools that try to run with the best. But many others don't set their sights so high.

ccs has 134 but nowhere near the athletic ability overall as SJS or NCS regards to basketball.

Reactions: CoachDViks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT