ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan 48 SHP 21 Final

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Complete game played by the Crusaders! Offense, defense and special teams contributed. Line play took over in second half . SHP appeared to run out of gas n 2nd half.

Hello, history buffs. When was the last time Riordan scored 48 digits in a varsity football contest? And the Phelan Phenoms did so vs. a quality outfit.

Reactions: jordan24
Wow! This one hurt a bunch of Pick'em entries, like mine. But, not Jordan24 or PAL95. Nice! Congrats to Riordan (my cousin's alma mater)!

Key to the victory was the dominating play of both the O and D lines as they wore down the Gators as the game went on...Crusader offense spread the ball around to at least 5 different receivers, each converting on third down throughout...Sanders had a great game on the ground with probably just 12 carries. Jason Greene and Jamarian Caston also ran for some key yardage. Caston had a 47 yard gain with at least 4 Gators hanging on to him. Luavasa led the team - some bumbled exchanges, but minimal damage. Can't complain much as this was the first game. Will be tough to key on any single player on offense. Looking forward to a competitive year!

Reactions: rabbit5
That was a nice game by Riordan...really nice....very few can say they saw that coming. SHP is not for real or Riordan is for real, time will tell.

[QUOTE="Scott2138, very few can say they saw that coming. SHP is not for real or Riordan is for real, time will tell.[/QUOTE]

I will give credit where credit is due Scott. Riordan just took down one of the highest ranked teams in CCS who was the defending CCS Open Champ & did so convincingly. SHP rolled Leland 47-7 in week #1 so Yes, Riordan is legit to answer your question.

Reactions: rabbit5
I knew Prep wouldn't be as good as last year but I didn't expect this result. I know you'll have a good weekend Jordan..

You are the only one who thinks that Cheers. How was the arse kicking at Kezar tonight.

I did say.... Riordan had a real nice game as a first statement so I am acknowledging it was a great win, even you didn't predict a win yourself...so stop misquoting me.

SHC is not for real, they are all banged up and have tons of injuries.

I will give credit where credit is due Scott. Riordan just took down one of the highest ranked teams in CCS who was the defending CCS Open Champ & did so convincingly. SHP rolled Leland 47-7 in week #1 so Yes, Riordan is legit to answer your question.[/QUOTE]

For the Rambling Person: Leland is extremely weak. A win over Leland, even by a large margin, is pretty much ho-hum. Ask Burlingame.

For the Kernal - any 47-7 win is nothing to sneeze at. So suddenly the naysayers are indicating SHP was not all that good so Riordan's win is not all that impressive? Wow, you guys are certainly missing the boat on this one IMO.

Congrats to Riordan & its fans on the biggest victory to their program in years!

No. Riordan is strong. Should be a factor in the WCAL in 2015. SHP not what it was in 2014. The coaches know it. The eyeball test doesn't lie. Still, Riordan has some horses.

Complete game played by the Crusaders! Offense, defense and special teams contributed. Line play took over in second half . SHP appeared to run out of gas n 2nd half.

Riordan is one of the few teams with a returning O line from last year - huge difference maker. While it is nice to taste victory, one game does not make a season. SHP was not what they were last year and were mismatched athletically. Riordan faster on the edges stronger up the middle. It will be interesting to see when they play better talent - this has been a class with promise so let's see how they deliver. 1 - 0, 9 to go.

Riordan is one of the few teams with a returning O line from last year - huge difference maker. While it is nice to taste victory, one game does not make a season. SHP was not what they were last year and were mismatched athletically. Riordan faster on the edges stronger up the middle. It will be interesting to see when they play better talent - this has been a class with promise so let's see how they deliver. 1 - 0, 9 to go.
I agree with the line returning and that was a major factor in me picking them to win. Be on the look out for Mitty as they return their O line and they are doing quite well as of now.

Agree with Mr. Direct's post on a related thread on how it is incredibly apparent of the difference between this year's Crusader squad and season's past - the utterly atrocious coaching of Lee and Sweeney before him. Riordan has the same "horses" as last season, but Lee never took advantage of the talent, rather he remained rigid and was not open to changing his thought process and schemes...
Alumni, parents, students and friends are extremely pleased with the AD, coach Fordon and his coaching staff (all on-campus full-time faculty/staff)

Impresed. Wasnt expecting this score when I looked for the final this morning. Kids buy into Fordon. Maybe its because he relates better to the kids, but also because this class does have talent. Time will tell how good a coach Fordon is, but happy my alma mater was able to get a "W" on opening day. Hoepfully they can build on it and picm another up vs M-A. Regardless if SHP is down its a win, something that shouldnt be taken for granted on Phelan! Have a good weekend Boys. Now to the misery coming Monday Night

Did FORDON really play for Coach Lad? His quotes to the newspaper reporter were ridiculous. Walsh is a former Lad guy but in his 13 years at Serra I am not sure he has ever given quotes to and about a game like Fordon did. Sure Fordon was enthusiastic, but he needs - in print - to start speaking like a coach and not some State of Texas Pop Warner coach.

Fordon: "The Boys were unleashed"
Fordon: "Riordan is back on the map and not just a pushover. I think we made the point loud and clear"
Fordon: "Yes, I think this was a statement game"
Fordon: "The bad news is I don’t think we’re going to sneak up on anyone."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Riordan-impressive-in-win-over-Sacred-Heart-Prep-6500121.php

Last edited:
Coaching at a City school and at perennial winners are 2 different things. Attitude reflects Leadership and Fordon is just trying to "change the culture", the proverbial cliché for new coaches. Ive met him personally and he is very humble. I dont think there is anything with those quote other than "being back on the map", as that hasnt been the case since they won CCS and theyll have to win a few more to justify that. Lets see what they bring to the table next week and how him and his team react after a loss.

Did FORDON really play for Coach Lad? His quotes to the newspaper reporter were ridiculous. Walsh is a former Lad guy but in his 13 years at Serra I am not sure he has ever given quotes to and about a game like Fordon did. Sure Fordon was enthusiastic, but he needs - in print - to start speaking like a coach and not some State of Texas Pop Warner coach.

Fordon: "The Boys were unleashed" and
Fordon: "Riordan is back on the map and not just a pushover. I think we made the point loud and clea"
Fordon: "Yes, I think this was a statement game"
Fordon: "The bad news is I don’t think we’re going to sneak up on anyone."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Riordan-impressive-in-win-over-Sacred-Heart-Prep-6500121.php
BKWRD also known as Mr Negative is never happy and this diatribe is as petty as it gets. Reapply for the Riordan frosh baseball job and get busy.

Fordon's comments should not be taken out of context. This program for almost a decade has been the laughingstock of the league. Lack of support starting at the administration level all the way down to the coaches was prevalent and it weighed heavily on the players/parents who invested their time and effort in playing football.
Kevin Fordon saw this firsthand last year as a newly hired DC under former coach John Lee and was determined to change the culture and the defeatist attitude and bring back the Riordan tradition of always being competitive in the WCAL as seen in decades past.
Fordon addressed the team after the game yesterday on the field (with parents, alumni, administration and students gathered) and the things he said were stay humble, respect your opponent, tell your parents, coaches and staff "thank you" ...and this is just one step in the journey and there is still a lot of hard work (players and coaches) to be done...
Raymone Sanders responds to reporter's questions - notice the last thing he says...
http://www.tout.com/m/ser88j

FACT CHECK - Kevin Fordon @ DLS: http://articles.latimes.com/1999/sep/26/sports/sp-14444

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleHaze13
This result shouldn't surprise anyone who's watched Riordan closely the last couple years. The talent, especially on offense, was used so poorly that one would think Lee was TRYING to screw it up. These kids are finally being put in position to succeed. Riordan snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last season against SHP. Riordan got next to nothing in terms of upgraded talent from last years JV team. This is essentially the same team from last year. A win over SHP is nice, but it doesn't excite me. I'll need to see the Crusaders beat St. Mary's and win against a quality WCAL team. Riordan is definitely trending up though. Good job boys!

Jordan24 on point and as much as I hate to say it, PurpleCraze is too.

Fordon used his ENTIRE roster yesterday. He was subbing frequently, though the heat had a lot to do with it, but there was no drop-off. Newcomers up from JVs that contributed - soph FB/LB Lasa Tofi who was in a few tackles, Donny Bendo who played most of the game @ DB, qb Xavier Character who had to come in when Luavasa got dinged late first half and almost scored on a read option to end the first half. Lastly Josh Boone caught some clutch third down conversions and also caught the 2 pt try after the first Crusader score.

BKWRD also known as Mr Negative is never happy and this diatribe is as petty as it gets. Reapply for the Riordan frosh baseball job and get busy.

I expected more from you FUBO. I'm not negative - I must have touched one or all of your nerves.

Coaching at a City school and at perennial winners are 2 different things. Attitude reflects Leadership and Fordon is just trying to "change the culture", the proverbial cliché for new coaches. Ive met him personally and he is very humble. I dont think there is anything with those quote other than "being back on the map", as that hasnt been the case since they won CCS and theyll have to win a few more to justify that. Lets see what they bring to the table next week and how him and his team react after a loss.

Thanks OneDNA - so does FORDON have the same acumen as Mike Langridge did during his first years?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/hssports/2006/09/04/riordan-football-a-new-adventure/

Only time will tell. Cant make a judgement after 1 game for gods sakes. Like mentioned previously, he was blessed with some talent and experienced line play. Lets let it play out. I like what Ive heard from his assistants who played at the school and now what Ive seen. But this is only game 1. Will be intersting to see how he develops players/the program after this group graduates. But to come up big on his coaching debut at the defending CCS Open champion, regardless if the said team is down it is still well coached and was a hood win. Could the same be said if it was last year's staff still running the program? Im not so sure. Again, any non-league win over anyone but a AAA team is a good win to hang your hat on for the boys from Phelan.

Fordon used his ENTIRE roster yesterday. He was subbing frequently, though the heat had a lot to do with it, but there was no drop-off. Newcomers up from JVs that contributed - soph FB/LB Lasa Tofi who was in a few tackles, Donny Bendo who played most of the game @ DB, qb Xavier Character who had to come in when Luavasa got dinged late first half and almost scored on a read option to end the first half. Lastly Josh Boone caught some clutch third down conversions and also caught the 2 pt try after the first Crusader score.

Not sure what game you were watching, but over half the roster (team) didn't play more than 4 plays (many on Special Teams). It was hot (90 at kickoff) and too many going both ways. This is a mistake that will kill opportunities in WCAL play. Remember he is the 6th coach since 2007 CCS champs. We keep hoping for change. At least he brings a different perspective and much better play calling.

Surprised as the win over SHP was the biggest in YEARS for the Crusader program & yet still some negativity, incl from Riordan fans[??].
Comments such as "not getting excited over 1 win" baffle me.. BTW you can make a judgement from 1 game if you truly follow the game and teams season to season. In this case a Riordan team that was projected to go winless this season & finish last in WCAL beat a top rated CCS team with one of the best QB's and a good returning cast in a game where almost no one though they could win [AND the win was by 27 points!]. So far I'm impressed with both the coaches and players from the brief interviews and quoted comments I've seen & read. Everyone appears composed and knows what their job is this season and the challenges they face.

Last edited:
Good news for the Phelan Phanatics. M-A is way down this year. A 2-0 start appears to be eminently possible for the Crusaders, if not likely.

Comments such as "not getting excited over 1 win" baffle me.. BTW you can make a judgement from 1 game if you truly follow the game and teams season to season. In this case a Riordan team that was projected to go winless this season & finish last in WCAL beat a top rated CCS team with one of the best QB's and a good returning cast in a game where almost no one though they could win [AND the win was by 27 points!]. So far I'm impressed with both the coaches and players from the brief interviews and quoted comments I've seen & read. Everyone appears composed and knows what their job is this season and the challenges they face.

Riordan optimism will get you crucified around here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT