ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan-SHC

What happened after the FG miss?

It was near the end of the game so I guess time just ran out. I was following on MaxPreps. Three long runs (80, 70 and 50) really inflated the score but still. Irish really have to work on that offense.

One more game and then hoops.

SH better work on a lot more than their offense, I didn't see much from them, although they have improved in band.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I am surprised at how many parents are dissatisfied

they can right their wrong...

Last edited:
It was near the end of the game so I guess time just ran out. I was following on MaxPreps. Three long runs (80, 70 and 50) really inflated the score but still. Irish really have to work on that offense.

One more game and then hoops.
They have been working on "that offense" for three years and it is as bad as it was DAY 1 and that's with seniors Murphy, Sheppard and the D1 offensive lineman. What will it be like next year without them?
"Three long runs inflated the score". It wasn't the runs, it was the touchdowns at the end of the runs. That is not inflating, that is scoring through domination.
The SHC WCAL losing streak is now 21 straight games over four seasons. Their non-San Francisco WCAL team losing streak is 7 years.

Honestly, the KO return was beautiful right out the gate by Riordan and the On side Kick caught SHC completely unprepared. !$ points before SHC ties their shoes.

Basically, SHC was unprepared and un manned in regards to being a FB team and program.

Hey, I love the coaches at SHC. but as I said to the after the game. " you guys gotta start fielding competitive teams?

We Are One....We R Riordan

Maybe the Irish should consider practicing at the Polo Fields like the 60s and 70s. Oh wait those teams didn't win either. Never mind. Just curious what can possibly highlighted at end of year team dinner. Do teams still these dinners. We beat Terra Nova? Toast up.

I wouldn't talk fool-bo (or J2 (RG) for that matter). You know what's on the way.

Proverbs 29:9
If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.

Last edited:
I am surprised at how many freshman parents are asking about transfer rules.

Isn't there a free transfer after 9th grade?
You mean about the 12+ Riordan players who quit their frosh team because they got tired of giving up 60 ppg??

(If that isn't true, Fu... why were there only 32 or so players out there when 46 are listed on their roster?)
Update, Dec. 11, 2021: Irish CCS D-III Champs; Irish Norcal 4-A Champs; Irish 4-A State Champs.

Last edited:
Parents look at Varsity W/L and how they see their children's future. And more importantly how each game goes...Additionally, I heard from parents what new direction they wanted...

Talk about having a program that is just headed in a bad direction....

Last edited:
Going to school in the Tenderloin or going to school in the Ingleside. Hmmmmm....

Nothing about SHC's season should come as a surprise to anyone who read the WCAL Football thread from the start.
I projected SHC to come in last and also that SI would be near the bottom of the heap. Riordan had lots of good skill players and with a new head coach had to be better than last season - which they were, by miles - same players, but entirely different results [so obviously, what changed?].

Its said that at the lower levels of football [HS then college, then pro] the coaching factor is the most important key to a team's success. As the talent levels increase such as at the pro level the coach has less influence on the game itself [ie: talented pro players can take over a game and ovecome bad/ineffective coaching to a degree]

The SHC program is mired in a program that is not competitve in its league and has a recent tradition of losing. The players change season to season, but the results do not change. Its not rocket science and SHC's admin needs to take a close look in the mirror and decide if they want to field a competitive team any time in the near future. The first step is to make a change at the top and work your way down from there. Unless SHC makes wholescale changes then its businees as usual and these types of season's will unfortunately continue.

Wow! Read the scoring on MaxPreps. Huge mistake by the SHC coaching staff to kick to AVH. His returns for TDs must be a league record? ARHS Stats, can you confirm? Also, appears from the scoring that Riordan went to run game more than the passing? Can 1DNA, J2, ARHS Stats, Irish Cheers provide some more color on the game?
HUGE game vs. St. Francis next week for the Crusaders, not necessarily just for final league standings, but more importantly seedings for CCS /SBG regionals if they should advance.

Wow! Read the scoring on MaxPreps. Huge mistake by the SHC coaching staff to kick to AVH. His returns for TDs must be a league record? ARHS Stats, can you confirm? Also, appears from the scoring that Riordan went to run game more than the passing? Can 1DNA, J2, ARHS Stats, Irish Cheers provide some more color on the game?
HUGE game vs. St. Francis next week for the Crusaders, not necessarily just for final league standings, but more importantly seedings for CCS /SBG regionals if they should advance.

I was following on MaxPreps but SHC could really use a kicker who could knock it out of the end zone. It would have made the score more respectable without those three long TD runs.

I think Realtors now call the areas lower Pacific Heights and lower St. Francis Wood. Lol!
The district Sacred Heart Cathedral is in is "Cathedral Hill". Riordan is in "Westwood Park".

RE: "The SHC program is mired in a program that is not competitve in its league and has a recent tradition of losing. The players change season to season, but the results do not change. Its not rocket science and SHC's admin needs to take a close look in the mirror and decide if they want to field a competitive team any time in the near future. The first step is to make a change at the top and work your way down from there. Unless SHC makes wholescale changes then its business as usual and these types of season's will unfortunately continue."

Update: December 11, 2021: Sacred Heart CCS D-III; NorCal D-III and California 4A State Champions. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:
Video highlights are posted on MaxPreps and AVH's KO TD return to start the game was actually from a short kick to the up back and he passed it backwards at least 20 yards across the field to AVH for his amazing TD run. Great game planning again from Coach Fordon.

RMBR, sorry but its mainly about talent. Go back and look at records from freshman year to senior year. I don't care how great your coaching staff is, you cannot win without talent. Riordan seniors dominated as freshman. As juniors, they lost many close games. Sure the coaching helped some, but it is mostly about talent. It has changed at the lower level at SHC.

Nothing about SHC's season should come as a surprise to anyone who read the WCAL Football thread from the start.
I projected SHC to come in last and also that SI would be near the bottom of the heap. Riordan had lots of good skill players and with a new head coach had to be better than last season - which they were, by miles - same players, but entirely different results [so obviously, what changed?].

Its said that at the lower levels of football [HS then college, then pro] the coaching factor is the most important key to a team's success. As the talent levels increase such as at the pro level the coach has less influence on the game itself [ie: talented pro players can take over a game and ovecome bad/ineffective coaching to a degree]

The SHC program is mired in a program that is not competitve in its league and has a recent tradition of losing. The players change season to season, but the results do not change. Its not rocket science and SHC's admin needs to take a close look in the mirror and decide if they want to field a competitive team any time in the near future. The first step is to make a change at the top and work your way down from there. Unless SHC makes wholescale changes then its businees as usual and these types of season's will unfortunately continue.

Amen

RMBR, sorry but its mainly about talent. Go back and look at records from freshman year to senior year. I don't care how great your coaching staff is, you cannot win without talent. Riordan seniors dominated as freshman. As juniors, they lost many close games. Sure the coaching helped some, but it is mostly about talent. It has changed at the lower level at SHC.

I think Rmbr has a perfect example...at Riordan this year. A whole sale revision of the program has changed the degree of success.

I don't want to get on a RANT here but the Brain Trust of the "Three Amigos" of Joe C. Vic A. & Mike G wanted an new direction for Riordan FB program. "They appreciated a new approach by young coach Fordon". and his vision is paying off.

As posters have commented, did you see the first 30 seconds of the Riordan vs. SHC game last night?

Bold direction that out coached the opposing team....

We Are One...We R Riordan

IrishCheers and RIkfran are the last two believers on moron island. The uncomfortable fact is the hype that followed the new coaching regime change three years ago has resulted in three years of no league wins and extended the seven year streak of losses to non San Francisco WCAL teams. There is not the abundance of talent at the lower levels that will change things. With so many Catholic schools to choose from who in their right mind would send their football talented sons to SHC. The archaic offensive formations and philosophy have resulted in what will be 21 straight league losses. They are the most boring team in the league to watch too.

I am out of date... I still call it Fillmore and Ocean Ave (lol)
Fillmore would be closer to Japantown. Western Addition would be farther west from St. Mary's Cathedral. Also, the school is not in a bad area in spite of what some choice fools would have you believe.
Really, where these miserable, empty-headed, bigoted freaks find room for all their hate is unfathomable.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pile on SHC that much. The kids are just trying their best and Riordan teams have been on the losing side of many lopsided games the past few years. Enjoy this good season and hope for more success in the CCS. It would be awesome if the Crusaders can win a CCS title!

jay-z-1732493-png.jpg

Three years in a row over the little green goblins from the Western Addition. City Champs! Marching into the playoffs!!

jay-z-1732493-png.jpg

Three years in a row over the little green goblins from the Western Addition. City Champs! Marching into the playoffs!!

Purple Haze and FUBO we will see in the next few years...Crusader70 is completely right, don't bang on SHC too much. Also, I will agree SHC has much to improve on in football. The years' prior, SHC beat Riordan like 8 years straight in football owning the Stanfel cup with Coach John Lee. It wasn't until Coach John Lee went to Riordan that SHC lost games to Riordan allowing the purple boys to use the phrase, "If you can't beat them, join them," attitude...Lots of Rumors that Coach Peralta may not be the varsity football coach in 2016. We will see what develops, the truth also is SHC Frosh and JV look much better than the Riordan and some of the other WCAL schools coming up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Purple Haze and FUBO we will see in the next few years...Crusader70 is completely right, don't bang on SHC too much. Also, I will agree SHC has much to improve on in football. The years' prior, SHC beat Riordan like 8 years straight in football owning the Stanfel cup with Coach John Lee. It wasn't until Coach John Lee went to Riordan that SHC lost games to Riordan allowing the purple boys to use the phrase, "If you can't beat them, join them," attitude...Lots of Rumors that Coach Peralta may not be the varsity football coach in 2016. We will see what develops, the truth also is SHC Frosh and JV look much better than the Riordan teams coming up.
Agree and disagree. Turn the tables around and Coach Peralta fielded competitive Riordan teams every season leading up to his WCAL title squad and built a strong program that led to a SBG appearance at Marin Catholic.. Unfortunately, he has not had a single Varsity league win in 3 seasons for the Irish, despite having a terrific D1 RB, WR and Lineman...There are several Riordan seniors that were not star frosh - but really grew with Coach Fordon last season and have made significant contributions this season in the play of Crusaders like Jack Luavasa (he was not even the starting qb for the Frosh), Daniel Norman, Cedric McAfee and half of the O/D lineman. The entire team is making contributions - gotta love that Finnegan kid (smallest player on the field) in recovering that onsides from Serra and absolutely getting pummeled and still held on to the ball! Lol! Football is the one sport that players can significantly change from incoming Frosh to Senior players both physically as some kids are late bloomers and is further nurtured by good coaching. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Agree and disagree. Turn the tables around and Coach Peralta fielded competitive Riordan teams every season leading up to his WCAL title squad and built a strong program that led to a SBG appearance at Marin Catholic.. Unfortunately, he has not had a single Varsity league win in 3 seasons for the Irish, despite having a terrific D1 RB, WR and Lineman...There are several Riordan seniors that were not star frosh - but really grew with Coach Fordon last season and have made significant contributions this season in the play of Crusaders like Jack Luavasa (he was not even the starting qb for the Frosh), Daniel Norman, Cedric McAfee and half of the O/D lineman. The entire team is making contributions - gotta love that Finnegan kid (smallest player on the field) in recovering that onsides from Serra and absolutely getting pummeled and still held on to the ball! Lol! Football is the one sport that players can significantly change from incoming Frosh to Senior players both physically as some kids are late bloomers and is further nurtured by good coaching. Time will tell.

This is true too...I think if Coach Peralta won the SI game by one point this year, none of this would even be in discussion...The Bruce Mahoney game was definitely winnable this year by this IRISH team. But I can see it both ways, they can "talk" to replace him but with average support from the admin on football, it will just be talk. SHC has to change a lot of things other than just the coaching staff, like working on getting better practice facilities. I also believe Coach Peralta has a little longer leash if necessary, I don't see the school replacing a alumnis after only three years with a record of winning other than at SHC. Yes, Jordan, football is a team sport, and Riordan did something special, you know the team is playing well when no one wants to be the weak link. Good players make everyone better.

Last edited:
Scott,

I don't think anyone is disrespecting SHC on the surface, but they have certain posters who have ridden the Hate Riordan Bandwagon and they are being served Crow?

am not buying the whole successful Frosh teams argument. If one would look back at the 2007 CCS champs....they lost every game freshman year.

My point is that just like the Langridge era: the Fordon era brought in a new attitude and approach. Riordan needed to throw out the baby with the bath water on Sweeney/Lee and it sounds like posters are recommending the same with SHC. Personally I disagree and like the leadership of FB at SHC...just saying?

Meanwhile, back on the farm parents are dissatisfied for their boys and building of success and self esteem within the football program. My point is, the CIF allows "redos" after 9th grade with no penalty and they only mandate 4 game loss after that. Is it worth it to a player to lose 4 games and join a progressive program after that...knowing they will be behind the curve? Pretty simple answer to me....

Purple Haze and FUBO we will see in the next few years...Crusader70 is completely right, don't bang on SHC too much. Also, I will agree SHC has much to improve on in football. The years' prior, SHC beat Riordan like 8 years straight in football owning the Stanfel cup with Coach John Lee. It wasn't until Coach John Lee went to Riordan that SHC lost games to Riordan allowing the purple boys to use the phrase, "If you can't beat them, join them," attitude...Lots of Rumors that Coach Peralta may not be the varsity football coach in 2016. We will see what develops, the truth also is SHC Frosh and JV look much better than the Riordan and other WCAL schools coming up.

Scott,

It's going to be a stumbling block next year for the Crusaders when this years Sr class graduates. There's pretty good talent coming up for SHCP. They've been recruiting well the last couple years. But that will be coming to an end. If you're a pretty good football player, are you gonna join Ken Peralta and play that boring a$$ 1950's football or would you go to Riordan and play for an aggressive, imaginative young coaching staff that have played at a high level and legitimately develop players? Ken Peralta is only getting players ready to play for Army or Navy.

If you're a Sacred Heart Freshman.....RUN! You and your parents need to jump into the Delorean and get back to the future on Phelan!!

Scott,

I don't think anyone is disrespecting SHC on the surface, but they have certain posters who have ridden the Hate Riordan Bandwagon and they are being served Crow?

am not buying the whole successful Frosh teams argument. If one would look back at the 2007 CCS champs....they lost every game freshman year.

My point is that just like the Langridge era: the Fordon era brought in a new attitude and approach. Riordan needed to throw out the baby with the bath water on Sweeney/Lee and it sounds like posters are recommending the same with SHC. Personally I disagree and like the leadership of FB at SHC...just saying?

Meanwhile, back on the farm parents are dissatisfied for their boys and building of success and self esteem within the football program. My point is, the CIF allows "redos" after 9th grade with no penalty and they only mandate 4 game loss after that. Is it worth it to a player to lose 4 games and join a progressive program after that...knowing they will be behind the curve? Pretty simple answer to me....

I can definitely say FOOL-boo has made many points to hate SHC, ask anyone who reads these boards. I like a good rivalry but I don't go posting every loss Riordan has etc. If you stop and think about it, most SH fans hate SI not Riordan and I believe that is still the case even with the current crop of students. Coach Fordon has brought a new attitude, no argument there. Regarding the 2007 CCS champs, that is CCS, WCAL is always a different animal. We all know that even the worse team in the WCAL can make it far in CCS generally speaking. I don't disagree with the topic if Peralta should be the 2016 coach or not because his current record makes it a topic and I am sure he will admit that. However, I think the man is a winner everywhere he goes and everyone loves him. From my understanding, if he is not the varsity coach he will still be involved one way or another with the school. Again, this is talk that has been filtering, just like I am sure many people didn't like Coach John Lee because of his record or his boring offense. So far, Peralta has shown he is just as conservative with his offense which is 89% running the ball even when we are down 28-0. Maybe we just don't have enough athletes to throw the ball but this is my only complaint of the Peralta Era, if we are losing by 28-0, the playbook should be wide open or more aggressive. I am talking about the whole SHC football philosophy, starting with the freshman, they could definitely do more to start passing the ball to change the culture.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Scott,

It's going to be a stumbling block next year for the Crusaders when this years Sr class graduates. There's pretty good talent coming up for SHCP. They've been recruiting well the last couple years. But that will be coming to an end. If you're a pretty good football player, are you gonna join Ken Peralta and play that boring a$$ 1950's football or would you go to Riordan and play for an aggressive, imaginative young coaching staff that have played at a high level and legitimately develop players? Ken Peralta is only getting players ready to play for Army or Navy.

If you're a Sacred Heart Freshman.....RUN! You and your parents need to jump into the Delorean and get back to the future on Phelan!!

Maybe Purple, it always goes in cycles it seems regarding the football basketball, or baseball. But if I was a betting man, I would say the 2019 class looks pretty good at SHC and if they get some good seasons together, it will be a competitive spirit coming up. If you ask me, there is no question which school I would go to..lol:) But in the end, a competitive rivalry is good for SF, so let the traditions continue.

Maybe Purple, it always goes in cycles it seems regarding the football basketball, or baseball. But if I was a betting man, I would say the 2019 class looks pretty good at SHC and if they get some good seasons together, it will be a competitive spirit coming up. If you ask me, there is no question which school I would go to..lol:) But in the end, a competitive rivalry is good for SF, so let the traditions continue.
This is not a "cycle". Consecutive WCAL loss streak over four seasons. Seven years of not beating a non San Francisco WCAL opponent and now you are projecting some success for the class of 2019! By the way, the coaches not the players picked the offense, the plays calls and decided to keep kicking the ball to AVH. I don't hate SHC. I just don't understand why they keep throwing the kids out there to get physically beaten down without much of a chance to win a game when there are alternatives. They have great BB and women's VB programs and their Arts (dancing, singing, solioquy) program is good too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT