ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan's Caston

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
What happened to him? Highly touted early in his career, he got little or no mention on 2015 all-WCAL lists as a senior. Is he heading to college? Does he have prospects?

What happened to him? Highly touted early in his career, he got little or no mention on 2015 all-WCAL lists as a senior. Is he heading to college? Does he have prospects?
Not sure what prospects he has. Was having a very good season up to the Serra game where he forced several fumbles/scored on a 70 yd kickoff return as an "up" receiver and shut down SHP in their 1st encounter and forced a game-turning fumble vs Mitty. Had several injuries after the Padre shootout and really limited his playing time and effectiveness the remainder of the season.

From looking at recruiting sites he looked to have plenty of interest, albeit no offers. Depending on which site you look at, his 40 time ranges from 4.63 to 5.4. His height is a little less than desirable, but I'm surprised he didn't get at least a 1AA offer Maybe his grades are lacking?

Last I heard he was going to City and from what I know grades were a big problem with him. If I'm not mistaking, he missed a lot if not all of his Sophomore year becauae of grades. A lot of those close to him have told me he hangs out right around a 2.0 GPA.

To be honest, he never really impressed me. He's as physically put together as any player I've ever seen in high school which is nice but he is inconsistent as hell and kind of just stands out because of his size and leveling hits rather than for being good.

I really used to like the kid. I mean, you don't get that big without busting your ass for it. But he let his physique and all the USA Football Camps get to his head. He took a lot of unofficial visits to schools that never showed an ounce of interest in him nor had the grades for. USC, Texas, OU, Cal just to name a few. For his sake, I hope his lack of offers or even looks humble him. ****, if Miami took Willie Williams with 9 felonies I'm sure a small school should have took a flyer on him if he was as good as he believe he is.

The other issue with Caston.....he's as close to being a finished product as there is. Which isn't a bad thing but if he isn't dominant as he is there isn't much more growing for him to do.

Last I heard he was going to City and from what I know grades were a big problem with him. If I'm not mistaking, he missed a lot if not all of his Sophomore year becauae of grades. A lot of those close to him have told me he hangs out right around a 2.0 GPA.

To be honest, he never really impressed me. He's as physically put together as any player I've ever seen in high school which is nice but he is inconsistent as hell and kind of just stands out because of his size and leveling hits rather than for being good.

I really used to like the kid. I mean, you don't get that big without busting your ass for it. But he let his physique and all the USA Football Camps get to his head. He took a lot of unofficial visits to schools that never showed an ounce of interest in him nor had the grades for. USC, Texas, OU, Cal just to name a few. For his sake, I hope his lack of offers or even looks humble him. ****, if Miami took Willie Williams with 9 felonies I'm sure a small school should have took a flyer on him if he was as good as he believe he is.

The other issue with Caston.....he's as close to being a finished product as there is. Which isn't a bad thing but if he isn't dominant as he is there isn't much more growing for him to do.

Thanks for the detail, Leche. There's a lot to be said for upside or lack there of. I had a feeling grades were a barrier. Recruiting letters aren't worth the paper they are written on and when I see interest from only big programs with no offers, I get a little suspicious. I know with my own son's recruitment I only reported interest to recruiting sites from schools that called and/or visited him at school.

Not one to bash a teenager...but let's hope he understands he needs to put the same time and effort that he does in conditioning and football and applies it to the "books". CCSF is a great place to make this happen. Look at all the local "HS stars" on its recent rosters - Terra Nova QB Anthony Gordon, SI's Elijah Dale, Bells Kris Olugbode. Former Riordan lineman Elliot Baker had the physical tools, but needed to work on his grades and now he has PAC-12 and SEC offers!

Not one to bash a teenager...but let's hope he understands he needs to put the same time and effort that he does in conditioning and football and applies it to the "books". CCSF is a great place to make this happen. Look at all the local "HS stars" on its recent rosters - Terra Nova QB Anthony Gordon, SI's Elijah Dale, Bells Kris Olugbode. Former Riordan lineman Elliot Baker had the physical tools, but needed to work on his grades and now he has PAC-12 and SEC offers!

It always bums me out when I see a great athlete held back due to grades but at the end of the day it's on them to prioritize what's most important.

I have zero idea about the player in question and my words below are not meant to speak on his subject but this does seem like the right place to post about possible similar situation I ( a Inderkum H.S. football coach) come across more times than not.

I think there are a lot more young players more excited about the attention they get from Twiiter or outside peolple/platforms than really putting in all the hard work to actually play college football.

We tell all of our kids, all that outside stuff is FAKE, Twiiter is fake, 7 on 7 is fake and all other social media and rankings are fake and don't matter. Our kids play 7 on 7 and play with a coach we respect and trust but that's just icing, it's not the cake.

The classroom is the truth, the weight room is the truth, your character is the truth and friday night between lines with pads is the TRUTH!

What a lot of these young adults don't realize is that you can hit the reset button when you get to JC and leave high school grades in the past. It's easier said than done but it's up to the player to drop the habits that held them back from a full ride. Take into consideration Chabot College ATH/WR/QB Tahir Rashed-Mills. Was AMAZING at Chabot in 2014 and could go on and play at any school in the country. He sat out 2015 because of grades and who knows what 2016 and the future holds. Just watch his hudl highlights, if he could focus on grades for 1-3 more years he has a NFL skill set

Reactions: Bubba3000
Nice list of fakes mistark -- number one truth is the classroom. Sad....playing on Saturday over a lifelong education -- very twisted thinking.

What's impressive is he's doing this against Juco competition, mshNASTY. It's not the typical high school highlight reel we see. These kids aren't required to take AP classes, just standard courses designed to get a high school diploma with decent GPA and test scores to be in position to accept scholarship offers and some can't seem to get it done in the classroom.

Reactions: mshNASTY

Jamarian was certainly no slouch when fully healthy as he came out the #3 LB from the Nike Open combine last Summer behind only a 5star and 4 star players. Wish him success in the classroom and field @ CCSF.
http://www.scout.com/player/189581-jamarian-caston

Right, at a camp. Even those highlights Rivals posted of him were not all that. He's got a tackle where he fails to shed and makes a play 5 yards down field and a play where he is unblocked off the edge and damn near has his tackle broken.

Again, he's very good as you stated. But lacks consistency.

Was on campus today and heard he is not even at Riordan any more...I'll leave it at that ;)
A few of the seniors are not on campus...I understand if you turn 18, tuition assistance goes away ? So they may be at CCSF? They typically come back for graduation. I could be wrong

A few of the seniors are not on campus...I understand if you turn 18, tuition assistance goes away ? So they may be at CCSF? They typically come back for graduation. I could be wrong
That was not the reason he was no longer there I was told.

Agreed. I like Jamarian, was always respectful towards me and my family when I saw him at practices or postgame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT