13) Sheldon
14) Antelope
15) Elk Grove
16) Placer
17) Yuba City
18) Bear River
19) Colfax
20) Casa Roble

On the bubble (alphabetical order): Center (8-4), Christian Brothers (5-6), Del Campo (4-6), Franklin (2-8), Lincoln (5-6), Ponderosa (7-4), River Valley (7-6), Rocklin (2-8), Roseville (3-7), Sacramento (5-6), Woodcreek (8-3).

Humorous that Vacaville has been out of the Bee's coverage area since 2008ish and now they are back in. With that...Vacaville should be in the 10-15 range.

Is St. Mary's-Stockton not included?

Humorous that Vacaville has been out of the Bee's coverage area since 2008ish and now they are back in. With that...Vacaville should be in the 10-15 range.

The SacBee's coverage of HS teams includes what used to be known as the 'SJS North' playoff bracket -- with Galt essentially being the Southern most point. All SJS schools South of Galt was part of the 'SJS South' bracket.

I don't recall the exact year off the top of my head, but prior to the mid-2000's the SJS playoff brackets were divided into two halves. This was largely done to avoid hefty travel.

In the North Division 1 bracket, the 3rd round or Semifinals was typically referred to as the 'City Championship' for the greater Sacramento area. The winner would face off against the winner of the SJS South bracket for the Section title.

All the schools South of Galt -- beginning with Lodi -- were included in the SJS South bracket with the media coverage provided by the Modesto Bee.

If you look at the history of the D1 and D2 Section title games, the match ups typically were Cordova v. Stagg, Nevada Union v. Merced, Grant Union vs. Golden Valley, El Camino v. Oakdale, Del Oro v. Sonora, etc, etc. With the current playoff setup, travel isn't really a consideration anymore and it's possible to end up with two teams from the same area or even the same league in the Final.

Additionally, the SJS North bracket also included part of the North Bay area -- from Vallejo, Crockett and Benicia in the Southern most point to Napa in the Western most point to Fairfield and Vacaville in the Eastern most point. All of those schools media coverage was provided by the Napa Valley Register, however, the SacBee still included those teams in it's rankings since they were part of the SJS North playoff bracket.

The Northern most point of the SJS North bracket essentially extended to Yuba City, Colfax and Grass Valley. Most every school North of those areas -- or further East or West -- roll up to the Northern Section.

Oddly, up to the late 90's the SacBee used to include the Northern Section in it's coverage/ranking but eventually dropped it.

Anyway, to summarize, the SacBee's prep coverage typically consists of SJS schools North of Lodi all the way up to Yuba City, Colfax and Grass Valley. The MEL schools to the West are typically also included.

The Modesto Bee covers all SJS schools South of Galt down to Merced and LeGrand -- which would obviously include St. Mary's-Stockton.

Last edited:
After Week 1
New Rank -Team - Last Ranking - W/L

1. Folsom (1) 1-0

2. Monterey Trail (2) 2-0

3. Oak Ridge (3) 2-0

4. Capital Christian (5) 2-0

5. Inderkum (7) 2-0

6. Granite Bay (9) 1-1

7. Del Oro (6) 1-1

8. Jesuit (8) 0-1

9. Davis (10) 2-0

10. Rocklin (11) 2-0

11. Vacaville (5) 0-2

12. Sheldon (12) 1-1

13. Elk Grove (13) 0-1

14. Whitney (-) 2-0

15. Placer (12) 1-1

16. Center (15) 2-0

17. Rio Linda (16) 1-1

18. Bear River (17) 2-0

19. Yuba City (14) 1-1

20. Pleasant Grove (-) 2-0

Dropped out: Antelope, Casa Roble, Colfax.

Bubble teams (alphabetical order): Casa Roble (1-1), Colfax (1-1), Cosumnes Oaks (1-1), Del Campo (1-1), El Camino (2-0), Franklin (1-1), Laguna Creek (2-0), Lincoln (1-1), Oakmont (2-0), Rio Americano (1-0), River Valley (2-0), Roseville (1-1), Sacramento (1-1), Vista del Lago (2-0), Woodcreek (1-1), Woodland (1-1).

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article234622027.html

Oak Ridge will be 3-0 going into first league game against Folsom. OR is much improved but still “on paper” not in Folsom league. I’ve seen both teams and it will be a good game I think for 2 and possibly 3 qtrs. Oak Ridge looks much crisper but talent is still in favor of bulldogs. Maybe I’m being too optimistic...

Oak Ridge will be 3-0 going into first league game against Folsom. OR is much improved but still “on paper” not in Folsom league. I’ve seen both teams and it will be a good game I think for 2 and possibly 3 qtrs. Oak Ridge looks much crisper but talent is still in favor of bulldogs. Maybe I’m being too optimistic...
I appreciate the confidence LL33. Bishop Manogue will be a hand full...best OL and DL we will face this season.

It’s too early to really know a ton about all these teams, but based upon the teams they’ve beaten through 2 games, I’d have Inderkum and Oak Ridge right behind Folsom at 2 and 3.

Yeah Bishop Manogue had to play a very good team (Desert Pines from LV.) game one.
They are a powerhouse. OR won’t have those sort of athletes but tough 2nd game at OR.

It’s too early to really know a ton about all these teams, but based upon the teams they’ve beaten through 2 games, I’d have Inderkum and Oak Ridge right behind Folsom at 2 and 3.
That's a fair assessment, but I would encourage you to watch a little Monterey Trail film, just to add to your perspective.

Whitney at #14 after 2-0 start is great for the SFL. Two quality wins too. Placer last Friday and Paraclete week 1 who just beat Chaminade 31-14. HUGE test this friday @ Central Fresno. Would be a huge upset but hey... you never know i hope its being streamed somewhere. Also on OR vs Folsom in a few weeks I feel like OR even if they have a great team always gets the Folsom jitters and just does not play a clean game. Maybe this year could be different I have not seen them play yet this year.

Whitney and Rocklin on the upswing is making following SFL, much more interesting. GB, DO, Whitney, Rocklin and a top OR are all so well coached, if Grant makes the necessary coaching changes this is the best league in Norcal.

Only a matter of time until we see closer games with Folsom I truly believe the "well you got to get better and compete Folsom factor" has accelerated the SFL.

Whitney and Rocklin on the upswing is making following SFL, much more interesting. GB, DO, Whitney, Rocklin and a top OR are all so well coached, if Grant makes the necessary coaching changes this is the best league in Norcal.

Only a matter of time until we see closer games with Folsom I truly believe the "well you got to get better and compete Folsom factor" has accelerated the SFL.

When you see grant play you’ll see again that they have the talent to be atleast a .500 ball
Club with 2 d1 players and decent talent but they’ll look like they never practice let alone scheme against a team. They really lack coaching up the little details.

Reactions: Santa Ball
The days of just showing up with better athletes are way over. Whitney will be better prepared and show much stronger than Grant did against central. Grant hasn’t gone better than .500 since 2016 and they will be lucky to win 2 games this year. Need a coaching change bad.

This should be a good game this week

Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA) at Capital Christian (Sacramento, CA), 7:00pm

I know the Boise St QB is from Vista Murrieta. Any insight on the current squad? Cap Christian may be without one of their best players in Max Rodarte who suffered an injury last week vs Patterson

The days of just showing up with better athletes are way over. Whitney will be better prepared and show much stronger than Grant did against central. Grant hasn’t gone better than .500 since 2016 and they will be lucky to win 2 games this year. Need a coaching change bad.
They’d dominate with a coaching change as bad as their coaching was last year they could’ve easily beat everyone in the sfl last year.

If you watch them you’ll see they have enough talent but if you just look at box scores you’d assume they lack players. This is a young grant team that didn’t get much experience last year not many teams will field as many athletes as grant if you watched the central game you’d know grant was on par with central and the Davis game broke away at the end it was a 1 score game for a long time

That's a fair assessment, but I would encourage you to watch a little Monterey Trail film, just to add to your perspective.

Respectfully, I don't need to be encouraged to watch any MT film. I'm very up to speed on their program. They were one of my favorites to follow last year. Coach Ewing has done a phenomenal job with that program, as it's only HC in program history. I was a fan of his back during his days at San Mateo.

My comment is less about who might be the better team, but rather more about who has had the more impressive wins through 2 weeks.

I'm not opposed to the idea that MT might prove to be better than Indy or OR by seasons end. But through 2 weeks, I don't feel they should be ranked above either of them. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballJunkie101
The days of just showing up with better athletes are way over.

Those days will never be over. Just because it may not always workout doesn't mean it can't.

Great coaching is a great equalizer. But talent still trumps all. Always has, always will.

GHS's biggest problem is that they don't have the same depth of talent as in years past. They don't even have the top end guys of yesteryear. And they lost Reggie Harris.

Trust me, if they had the same talent running through the program as they did circa 2006 - 2010, they'd still be among the best in the area -- even if not the absolute best.

This should be a good game this week

Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA) at Capital Christian (Sacramento, CA), 7:00pm

I'm not sure what to expect out of this game. My gut tells me that CC might be a couple seasons away from winning a game like this one. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is the game I'll be taking in this weekend. What's the skinny on VM, ararar? How do they look to you thus far?? I've only been able to watch some film from last season.

Whitney at #14 after 2-0 start is great for the SFL. Two quality wins too. Placer last Friday and Paraclete week 1 who just beat Chaminade 31-14.

I agree. Last season was a wake up call, for sure.

I said this when re-alignment took place, but I'll say it again. Trading Woodcreek for Whitney made the SFL much deeper. I'm happy for Woodcreek for earning their first winning season last year, but most of that had to do with departing the SFL. They just were never a good fit for football IMO.

On the other hand, Whitney has the resources and passion to build their football program into an area power or at the very least remaining competitive in the SFL. They took a big hit and a few steps back after the departure of Paul Doherty, but it now looks like they might be recovering nicely under the leadership of Zac McNally.

Considering the proximity of Whitney, Rocklin and Del Oro to each other, it just goes to show how much talent and good coaching is concentrated in the area.

Last edited:
I know the Boise St QB is from Vista Murrieta. Any insight on the current squad? Cap Christian may be without one of their best players in Max Rodarte who suffered an injury last week vs Patterson

Actually the Boise State kid played at Murrieta Valley High School.Its a winnable game for Capital Christian but they need to play mistake free

I'm not sure what to expect out of this game. My gut tells me that CC might be a couple seasons away from winning a game like this one. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is the game I'll be taking in this weekend. What's the skinny on VM, ararar? How do they look to you thus far?? I've only been able to watch some film from last season.

They are better than last year but not by much.
They won their first game over Los Alamitos by two scores and I think Capital Christian is a little better so it should be a competitive game but I like VM in this one

Reactions: ThunderRam
They are better than last year but not by much.
They won their first game over Los Alamitos by two scores and I think Capital Christian is a little better so it should be a competitive game but I like VM in this one

Yeah, w/o having seen VM this season but having some 1st hand observation from last season and also knowing their history and that they are typically a good SS program, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I'm not yet sure how much CC has improved from last season, if at all, and there's some injury concerns. But they are at home and CT is a helluva coach. Hopefully they'll be ready for the Broncos.

Respectfully, I don't need to be encouraged to watch any MT film. I'm very up to speed on their program. They were one of my favorites to follow last year. Coach Ewing has done a phenomenal job with that program, as it's only HC in program history. I was a fan of his back during his days at San Mateo.

My comment is less about who might be the better team, but rather more about who has had the more impressive wins through 2 weeks.

I'm not opposed to the idea that MT might prove to be better than Indy or OR by seasons end. But through 2 weeks, I don't feel they should be ranked above either of them. Just my opinion.
I agree with this. MT hasn't played anyone of OR or Indy's opponents caliber. Beating Sheldon and Spanish Springs are great but nothing there makes you say their better than OR and Indy. And the little bit of the film I watched I would say Sheldon out hit MT. So if coach Filan can get a solid offense going for the Huskies he may cause the Mustangs some serious problems at the end of the day. Filan has always been a coach that believe in physical play and it showed up against MT though they didn't win the contest.

After Week 1
New Rank -Team - Last Ranking - W/L

1. Folsom (1) 1-0

2. Monterey Trail (2) 2-0

3. Oak Ridge (3) 2-0

4. Capital Christian (5) 2-0

5. Inderkum (7) 2-0

6. Granite Bay (9) 1-1

7. Del Oro (6) 1-1

8. Jesuit (8) 0-1

9. Davis (10) 2-0

10. Rocklin (11) 2-0

11. Vacaville (5) 0-2

12. Sheldon (12) 1-1

13. Elk Grove (13) 0-1

14. Whitney (-) 2-0

15. Placer (12) 1-1

16. Center (15) 2-0

17. Rio Linda (16) 1-1

18. Bear River (17) 2-0

19. Yuba City (14) 1-1

20. Pleasant Grove (-) 2-0

Dropped out: Antelope, Casa Roble, Colfax.

Bubble teams (alphabetical order): Casa Roble (1-1), Colfax (1-1), Cosumnes Oaks (1-1), Del Campo (1-1), El Camino (2-0), Franklin (1-1), Laguna Creek (2-0), Lincoln (1-1), Oakmont (2-0), Rio Americano (1-0), River Valley (2-0), Roseville (1-1), Sacramento (1-1), Vista del Lago (2-0), Woodcreek (1-1), Woodland (1-1).

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article234622027.html
This Poll or Ranking system leaves a lot to the imagination. There is no way in the world Vista Del Lago shouldn't be the #12 ranked team in the Sac area. And Whitney at #14 is a farce as well. Not here to shoot the messenger but whomever is conducting this polling system for the Bee should be questioned. Especially since most teams have two games under their belts.

Its a winnable game for Capital Christian but they need to play mistake free
I normally don't disagree with you on this board but for you to say this is a winnable game for CC is a little too much. By your standards maybe it is winnable but most people with SOLID football knowledge would tell you this isn't a winnable game for CC. If CC beats VM, this game was only winnable because Casey is the better coach. Period! This game wasn't even a game most would say is winnable before the major injury to a key CC player in last weeks game. I believe coach Casey will make this game competitive for the most part but would be totally shocked if he wins it. As TR said, VM is historically a very good SS team and knowing that they are going to be better than the prior year tells me that they are going to give CC fits in all aspects of the game. They're going to challenge CC in ways they've never been challenged this year and without a key player makes things worst not better for CC. That said, I have major respect for Casey win, lose or draw for scheduling like a man or better yet a coach willing to challenge his program.

Reactions: THEOC89
I was being very sincere when I said that Indy and OR at #2 and #3 was a fair assessment. Especially with the Inderkum win over Del Oro.

Monterey Trail was ranked so high based on last year's record and the fact that the team will probably have a very good record again this season. Unfortunately, due to out of Section games and league match-ups, other teams will have more telling head-to-head games than MT during the regular season.

All of this ranking stuff will get settled in the post-season now that Inderkum is in D1 with OR and MT. However, it's all playing for 2nd place until someone challenges Folsom.

They took a big hit and a few steps back after the departure of Paul Doherty,

@ThunderRam In my honest opinion I feel like Whitney took a step back when Doherty was hired. In his 3 years he only beat 1 SFL team (Rocklin) and won no more than 6 games in a year in the CVC.... The rocklin team he did beat had a handful of players suspended. They never won a playoff game either. And in that time he also had 4 CIF violations put on him and his program. Definitely did not take a step back when he departed. Probably the best thing to happen to Whitney was him leaving.

@ThunderRam In my honest opinion I feel like Whitney took a step back when Doherty was hired. In his 3 years he only beat 1 SFL team (Rocklin) and won no more than 6 games in a year in the CVC.... The rocklin team he did beat had a handful of players suspended. They never won a playoff game either. And in that time he also had 4 CIF violations put on him and his program. Definitely did not take a step back when he departed. Probably the best thing to happen to Whitney was him leaving.
I agree with you on this. Also, coach Jimenez to me was the better fit for the Whitney Wildcats program. He did some very good things for their football program that no coach has done sense his departure.

Reactions: THEOC89
Coach Gimenez was 67-38 in his nine seasons at WHS. He made the play offs in 7 of 9 seasons and won 1 section title and runner up in another...pretty good run for a start up school.

With CVC joining the EBAL Mountain this year, they have a legitimate argument as well. DLS, CVC, MV, SRV, Cal & Foothill is a solid group.

Totally slipped my mind about CVC joining EBAL. And it is a really solid group.

I hadn’t looked at it that way. But I believe you’re right.

This Poll or Ranking system leaves a lot to the imagination.

Not here to shoot the messenger but whomever is conducting this polling system for the Bee should be questioned. Especially since most teams have two games under their belts.

I was being very sincere when I said that Indy and OR at #2 and #3 was a fair assessment. Especially with the Inderkum win over Del Oro.

Monterey Trail was ranked so high based on last year's record and the fact that the team will probably have a very good record again this season.

All of this ranking stuff will get settled in the post-season now that Inderkum is in D1 with OR and MT. However, it's all playing for 2nd place until someone challenges Folsom.

IMO, the issue with these rankings are the fact that, not only are they arbitrary and heavily weighted based off previous season’s results, teams tend to hold their positions if they win regardless of opponent. There isn’t enough consideration over level of opponent.

But to completely contradict myself, it is often difficult if not impossible to really know how good some of these opponents really are this early into the season. Perhaps beating Del Oro or Vacaville won’t look quite as impressive in a few weeks?

So I get it. As I said, my comment was just what I’ve seen through 2 weeks, which may prove wrong over time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT