ADVERTISEMENT

Sac state

I headed out to the Sacramento State game last night too and was impressed was the vibe around the game. It is fun to watch a Troy Taylor called offense.

I went to a Stanford game early in the Harbaugh era and I see a lot of similarities between the arc of Stanford during that time and what is coming for Sac State. In both places, you can see how good they are schematically, they play with a swagger and both will continue as they get more of "their guys" into the program.

Cameron Skattebo from Rio Linda committed to the Hornets yesterday.

I just created a thread topic about it. Sorry, I hadn’t yet read this thread and that you had already brought it up.

It’s hard to know how these kids will translate at the next level, but I think this might be a nice get for the Hornets program. Hopefully a name FBS program doesn’t poach him away prior to official signing day.

Just a hunch but I wouldn’t be surprised if Lamson from OR gets an offer soon from Sac State after seeing what he’s done this year and Taylor/staff at game on Friday. Personally I think he’s got a little higher ceiling but Sac State looks damn good right now.

There are so many good local 2+ Star kids that they could poach. You start seeing 15-20k at games if they continue to win and recruiting gets easier.

I haven’t checked out recruiting sites lately, so excuse my ignorance. How heavily is Lamson being recruited? I’d tend to believe he’s getting a fair amount of attention.

I read that Kaiden Bennett was seriously considering transferring to Sac State after he decided to leave Boise, but opted to play in his hometown instead.

With Taylor at the helm, I can see more FBS caliber QB’s opting to go there. Thomson transferred in from UNLV, although prior to Taylor getting the gig. But given what Coach Taylor’s system and tutelage has done for him this season, it’s easy to imagine other QBs taking notice.

Just a hunch but I wouldn’t be surprised if Lamson from OR gets an offer soon from Sac State after seeing what he’s done this year and Taylor/staff at game on Friday.

Stumbled across this HUDL highlight package tonight while on Twitter. You've been talking up Lamson since early last season. Figured you might appreciate watching it.

1:23 is pretty impressive, as he stiff arms Lynch as if he ain't 270+ pounds. :44 is a nice improvisational play too.

Thanks TR. impressive kid. Legit 6”3 200 lbs too. Brother is 6”6 290 starting lineman at UCD. Kid will have elite size next year which you can’t teach. QB recruiting puzzles me but this kid is a warrior and flat out baller. Nice to see Taylor and crew at games. Stinger up!!

Thanks TR. impressive kid. Legit 6”3 200 lbs too. Brother is 6”6 290 starting lineman at UCD. Kid will have elite size next year which you can’t teach. QB recruiting puzzles me but this kid is a warrior and flat out baller. Nice to see Taylor and crew at games. Stinger up!!

Yeah, I saw that his brother is at UCD. Seeing that Justin is also a 4.0 student, it probably puts UCD at a recruiting advantage. Just depends upon how big a factor he’s sees Troy Taylor developing QB’s to be.

Of course some large FBS program might come along to poach him. I’m actually surprised he hasn’t drawn a ton of interest already. But he’s only a JR so there’s plenty of time for things to change in that regard.

How do you feel he compares to Ian Book? He’s obviously a bit bigger.

Yeah, I saw that his brother is at UCD. Seeing that Justin is also a 4.0 student, it probably puts UCD at a recruiting advantage. Just depends upon how big a factor he’s sees Troy Taylor developing QB’s to be.

Of course some large FBS program might come along to poach him. I’m actually surprised he hasn’t drawn a ton of interest already. But he’s only a JR so there’s plenty of time for things to change in that regard.

How do you feel he compares to Ian Book? He’s obviously a bit bigger.

Ian Book really threw a nice ball in HS and it’s funny because I always liked his arm over Browning. Even watching at ND the ball just really comes out nice. As a pure passer I like Book. Lamson is a work in progress on the throwing side. Has a strong arm but a bit of a wind up release. Book is very nimble and deceptive quick runner. Lamson more of a physical runner encouraging contact. I’m sure that will change as coaches scream at him to slide. Lamson better size and gifts at this stage , but as a natural leader Book is in a special class.

That improv play when the snap went wayyyyyyyyyy over his head was amazing... Chased the ball back, calmly picked it up, spotted a man and him him right between the numbers. Long gain, first down... Just like it was drawn up :)

Reactions: ThunderRam
https://pluto.tv/live-tv/cal-poly

Sac State vs Cal Poly

Live stream

Was able to stream it directly on my new 4K Smart TV I picked up a few weeks ago. Pretty cool.

Hornets earned another huge W. 6-2 now.

Been saying this a lot this season, but the biggest game in their FCS history is upcoming this Saturday. It’s for the outright Big Sky lead.

I made it out for the Montana game and am planning to go out to this one too. Might attract 20K. We’ll see.

Was able to stream it directly on my new 4K Smart TV I picked up a few weeks ago. Pretty cool.

Hornets earned another huge W. 6-2 now.

Been saying this a lot this season, but the biggest game in their FCS history is upcoming this Saturday. It’s for the outright Big Sky lead.

I made it out for the Montana game and am planning to go out to this one too. Might attract 20K. We’ll see.

Yeah, the stream wasn't half bad! Watching on a big Screen certainly beats my laptop! Lol That was definitely a nice road win! I'll unfortunately miss this weeks game.

Should be an exciting affair! Tough games ahead! Hopefully the buzz continues to grow around town! Great to see good football being player in the region!

not to take anything away from Sac State but that’s the worst Cal Poly game I’ve seen in 5 years a great example of opposite ends of the coaching spectrum

Yeah Cal Poly didn't look too hot. I know that they've had some good teams in the past. It seems like Sac States coaching staff has caught a ton of teams off guard this year.

Weber State game should be a good one. 10 Northern California guys on the roster. With the way the Hornets are playing hopefully they can keep some of those type guys in state.

Weber State game should be a good one. 10 Northern California guys on the roster. With the way the Hornets are playing hopefully they can keep some of those type guys in state.

winner of that game wins the Big Sky Conference title

not to take anything away from Sac State but that’s the worst Cal Poly game I’ve seen in 5 years a great example of opposite ends of the coaching spectrum
Should’ve gone to Wazzu! Life lessons from Leach

They’ve actually recruited quite well locally since Sperbeck took over the program. Sears continued recruiting well locally and Taylor and staff are hoping to continue to do the same, while also broadening their footprint.

There’s somewhere around 25 players from the SJS on the current roster.

Reactions: BigMann08
Yeah Cal Poly didn't look too hot. I know that they've had some good teams in the past. It seems like Sac States coaching staff has caught a ton of teams off guard this year.

Thing is, Cal Poly has been competitive with pretty much everyone else. Arguably could have or should have won 3 of their 4 previous games prior to playing the Hornets.

Even played Weber State tough for 3 quarters.

Thing is, Cal Poly has been competitive with pretty much everyone else. Arguably could have or should have won 3 of their 4 previous games prior to playing the Hornets.

Even played Weber State tough for 3 quarters.

that’s been the pattern the past three years not able to win close games very frustrating

Lost the starting QB in the Weber game. Was a close game when he went down. Not quite the same without him

Looks like they ended up getting smoked by Weber State and barely beat a now 4-6 NAU team.
Lost the starting QB in the Weber game. Was a close game when he went down. Not quite the same without him

Agree with Mellencamp. The Weber game got away from them once Thomson went down. They essentially lost the game on 3 plays. One was a terrible coverage scheme on a 3rd and 16 that resulted in a TD for Weber. The other two plays were inaccurate throws by the backup QB that cost them a pair of TD's offensively. In both cases, the WR was wide open at the goal line but he sailed throws right over their head. Throws I see HS QB's make every week. That's a 21-point swing.

The NAU game was a bit of the same. The Hornets jumped out to a 14-0 lead, but an extremely poor coaching decision at the end of the half cost them 3 points while inaccurate throws by the QB cost them several first downs and other opportunities to score.

Their near downfall occurred early in Q4 when Dunniway threw a ball up for grabs while driving inside NAU territory and the Hornets holding a 7-point lead. It was a throw a QB only makes when trailing late and needing to make something happen on a 4th down situation or with almost no time left. It was an inexcusable throw to make when in scoring range and holding a TD lead in Q4 (if you didn't see the play, skip to 3:07 in the video at the bottom)

Of course NAU scored the next play after the INT to tie the game. After that huge momentum swing, Sac State completely fell apart until mounting their unlikely comeback in the final 2 minutes.

IMO, if a near-healthy Kevin Thomson plays against NAU the game never would have been close. If Thomson was able to play the entire Weber game, I think the game would have ended up being close. Not sure the Hornets win, but they would have had a chance.

Circling back to Dunniway, I don't mean to trash the kid -- as he does deserve credit for the plays he did make, including taking advantage of the situation once the Hornets recovered the onside kick against NAU -- but I also believe in telling the truth as I see it. His inaccuracy and decision making has really cost the Hornets in both games. Hopefully he'll get better. I like the kid and do believe he has potential to be pretty good. But he's wildly inaccurate at times. And he can't ever make the throw described 3 paragraphs above (and viewable at 3:07 in the video below).

Last edited:
Ive been watching FCS football for five years now and have watched the overall caliber of play improve dramatically. One thing I have noticed though is quarterback passing inaccuracy, even the best quarterbacks at this level have moments when they can't seem to hit a wide open receiver.

Ive been watching FCS football for five years now and have watched the overall caliber of play improve dramatically. One thing I have noticed though is quarterback passing inaccuracy, even the best quarterbacks at this level have moments when they can't seem to hit a wide open receiver.

Honestly, watching Dunniway play made me appreciate Kevin Thomson a lot more than I did. He doesn't miss those throws a lot. Too bad the kid gets hurt every single season.

Hopefully Jake will improve with more time, coaching and confidence.

Accuracy, decision making, how you see the field. Are things that rarely get better than they were in High School. Elite level QBs throw no more than 3-4 picks a year in high school.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Accuracy, decision making, how you see the field. Are things that rarely get better than they were in High School. Elite level QBs throw no more than 3-4 picks a year in high school.

Northbay- I would love to see a kid like Pavitt go to sac state from Newman. He has 28TD passes this year with zero picks. He’s very good. It would be school where he could play. Happy for the hornets. It’s been a long time.. coaching matters

Reactions: northbayfb
And easily 1-2 are deflections and 1-2 are blown routes.

Northbay- I would love to see a kid like Pavitt go to sac state from Newman. He has 28TD passes this year with zero picks. He’s very good. It would be school where he could play. Happy for the hornets. It’s been a long time.. coaching matters
Would love to see them stay local. Unfortunately they offered a QB from SoCal yesterday

depending on his grades UC Davis is also a QB friendly system

I’m thinking they are very good. Polished kid.
Might take a year at JC to get recognition. Look at what the kid at wash state is doing with no offers out of Pacifica

I’m thinking they are very good. Polished kid.
Might take a year at JC to get recognition. Look at what the kid at wash state is doing with no offers out of Pacifica
Know a little about the kid from SoCal. Couldn’t get the starting gig at Cathedral so transferred down to Division 13 school where they tore up their competition before losing in Semifinals. Have a couple of stud receivers though. One that reminds me of Badger at Folsom. That could be the play they are going for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT