ADVERTISEMENT

Sac State !

Bennett was the game changer. He made a few poor decisions that resulted in costly INTS (one at Stanfords goal line to keep Sac St from scoring, and another in the 4th Quarter that set up The Cardinal to take a brief lead 23-20), but he also picked up a number of key first downs with his feet extending plays, and the scramble TD pass to win it was all heart and athleticism. If he continues to mature and gain confidence as the season progresses, the Hornets can make alot of noise in the playoffs.

StingersUp!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMann08
Stanford is no longer a P5 team. They are more like a high school.

Stanford is no longer a P5 team. They are more like a high school.
That’s a bad loss but it was Taylor’s team at Sac State so shows you what he can build. I’m sure Stanford will get some de-committed players from class next year. Taylor has a very tough job ahead of him.

Stanford will be fine, he got highly rated recruiting class coming in he needs 2 years to get them back to a bowl

Reactions: StateFarmShaman
He’s got 26 commits and most important commits there that’s a huge class and in the top 25 he will be fine

Reactions: THEOC89
That’s a bad loss but it was Taylor’s team at Sac State so shows you what he can build. I’m sure Stanford will get some de-committed players from class next year. Taylor has a very tough job ahead of him.
I agree. If they don't start accessing the transfer portal and using NIL more, he has a few years to go before he puts a highly competitive team on the field.

I'm going to split the middle on this LOL. I think the deck is stacked against Stanford being competitive in the new world of college football. But I think Troy Taylor and Co. are well equipped to have the Cardinal reach their ceiling.

What college programs run into issues with is thinking they are all Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, USC, etc. So they try to build like them and fall on their faces. When you are the underdog, you sometimes have to zig when others are zagging.

Hornets big road win against Troy Taylor and Stanford 30-23. Lots of local Kids on Field.

Another great 'W' for the Hornets program. These are the types of wins that are needed to keep the program ascending. The more benchmark wins and Big Sky titles they can get, they easier recruiting becomes.

Hell, the Hornets beat essentially the same CSU team Colorado struggled to beat this weekend by 31 points last season!

Quite honestly, I didn't think they played super well on Satuday, but still found a way to win.

If Kaiden Bennett continues to develop and improve in this offense, they could become a bigger threat than they've been the past couple seasons. Bennett could become the Hornets version of UIW's Lindsay Scott.

Reactions: MC415
Taylor has a very tough job ahead of him.

That was my stance when he decided to take that job.

First, I didn't really expect him to leave unless it was for CAL. For obvious reasons. Going to Stanford is still a surprise to me.

That said, even before the drastically changing landscape of the college football, Stanford is just a tough situation to win. I know Jim Harbaugh was successful there, but we also know that the now suspended Harbaugh doesn't necessarily play by the rules. And David Shaw simply piggybacked the playbook Harbaugh put in place. But eventually the tank went dry.

USC, UCLA, and Oregon leaving the PAC12 helps, but I still don't ever see that program ever really competing for anything significant. I don't see CAL doing either, but still.

Reactions: larry legend33
I'm going to split the middle on this LOL. I think the deck is stacked against Stanford being competitive in the new world of college football. But I think Troy Taylor and Co. are well equipped to have the Cardinal reach their ceiling.

What college programs run into issues with is thinking they are all Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, USC, etc. So they try to build like them and fall on their faces. When you are the underdog, you sometimes have to zig when others are zagging.
It's true that Stanford faces unique challenges in this "new world" of college football. While they've chosen a path less focused on the high-stakes world of big-money sports and have been hesitant about NIL deals, there's no denying their potential to be successful at it. Hopefully the Pac12's collapse and their Big10 rejection letter served as a wake up call to join the party or collapse! They'll have another shot to get things together in the ACC.

And yes, it will do them no good to emulate Georgia, Bama, Michigan, USC...

In Stanford's case, they have a wealth of intellectual/financial resources to draw upon.

For starters, it is imperative that they develop a degree program centered on the business of sports. It not only aligns with the changing landscape of college sports, especially with NIL deals on the table, but it also provides a platform to attract top athletes and become leaders in sports business education. (Sports Business is a multi-billion dollar industry) This will also provide a pathway for a greater number of athletes to graduate and become successful in the classroom....

Embrace proximity: By leveraging their unique position to Silicon Valley and embracing the sports world's creativity, Stanford has the potential to introduce countless athletes to the ($$$$) opportunities in this tech-driven world. Hopefilly they seize it to enhance their competitiveness in college football.

Reactions: laidbackcoach
Another great 'W' for the Hornets program. These are the types of wins that are needed to keep the program ascending. The more benchmark wins and Big Sky titles they can get, they easier recruiting becomes.

Hell, the Hornets beat essentially the same CSU team Colorado struggled to beat this weekend by 31 points last season!

Quite honestly, I didn't think they played super well on Satuday, but still found a way to win.

If Kaiden Bennett continues to develop and improve in this offense, they could become a bigger threat than they've been the past couple seasons. Bennett could become the Hornets version of UIW's Lindsay Scott.
Man I still have nightmares about Lindsay Scott! AKA the Sac State Killer!!!! That guy should be outlawed from ever stepping foot back in Sacramento! hahahahaha

I believe the reports of Stanford's death are a bit exaggerated here. Give Taylor time to get his type of guys in there. They will not be able to quickly reap the benefit of the portal or the Juco market since they will probably not bend the admission requirements. Turnarounds at Stanford just take longer than at other programs because of it.

Taylor has built programs from less in the past. I believe the allure of Stanford is almost unbeatable for that segment of very bright athletes and when he finds them he will land them.

I believe the reports of Stanford's death are a bit exaggerated here. Give Taylor time to get his type of guys in there. They will not be able to quickly reap the benefit of the portal or the Juco market since they will probably not bend the admission requirements. Turnarounds at Stanford just take longer than at other programs because of it.

Taylor has built programs from less in the past. I believe the allure of Stanford is almost unbeatable for that segment of very bright athletes and when he finds them he will land them.

I don't doubt Taylor at all. He will build a good team/program. My contention is that there's a low ceiling for Stanford at the FBS level, more so now than ever before.

I can't ever seen them (or CAL) ever contending for a Nat'l title. And if USC, UCLA and Oregon wasn't leaving their conference, I saw that as long odds too. Now going over to the ACC? Taylor will make them competitive. But a legit threat to become a conference power? I think those are long odds too. Although Clemson has really come down to earth so who knows.

If Taylor went to a program that wasn't such a academic monster and had a richer history of success in football, I'd like his chances better.

I don't doubt Taylor at all. He will build a good team/program. My contention is that there's a low ceiling for Stanford at the FBS level, more so now than ever before.

I can't ever seen them (or CAL) ever contending for a Nat'l title. And if USC, UCLA and Oregon wasn't leaving their conference, I saw that as long odds too. Now going over to the ACC? Taylor will make them competitive. But a legit threat to become a conference power? I think those are long odds too. Although Clemson has really come down to earth so who knows.

If Taylor went to a program that wasn't such a academic monster and had a richer history of success in football, I'd like his chances better.
Thunder, I absolutely agree that neither Stanford or Cal will ever compete for a Nat'l title. Heck I didn't believe they would have if the Pac12 hadn't imploded either. I just want high caliber legit D1 football in NorCal that is accessible for us to enjoy.

The absurdity of two schools on the west coast competing in the Atlantic Coast Conference is not lost on me. I do not believe the current alignment of the B1G and the ACC will last. This will be turned upside down again in the coming years. My only hope is that in this chaos these two programs stay at a relatively high level so we don't have to travel to see top tier D1 football. It may be a pipe dream but it is my dream

Thunder, I absolutely agree that neither Stanford or Cal will ever compete for a Nat'l title. Heck I didn't believe they would have if the Pac12 hadn't imploded either. I just want high caliber legit D1 football in NorCal that is accessible for us to enjoy.

The absurdity of two schools on the west coast competing in the Atlantic Coast Conference is not lost on me. I do not believe the current alignment of the B1G and the ACC will last. This will be turned upside down again in the coming years. My only hope is that in this chaos these two programs stay at a relatively high level so we don't have to travel to see top tier D1 football. It may be a pipe dream but it is my dream

Well, perhaps Sac State has a window of opportunity to fill the void?

FWIW, I'm also skeptical that the current landscape has long term viability.

College football has a history of programs making remarkable turnarounds, and if Colorado can do it, Cal and Stanford certainly have the potential, too! It's an exciting time for the sport, and we may see changes in the qualifications for head coaches as more non-traditional hires like Prime find success.

College football also thrives on the personalities of head coaches. Currently, a host of P5 head coaches excel in their roles as Offensive/Defensive Coordinators but struggle with recruiting or have personalities that come across as dry and not relatable to the players, media, and fans. I think we may see an evolution of changes in how Head Coaches are hired.

Hypothetically Speaking: What would Cal's Ceiling be with Aaron Rogers (HC)? What would Stanford's ceiling be with Richard Sherman at the helm? Both of these guys are exceptional leaders who have out-of-this-world personalities!

These two guys would turn Bay Area football upside down!!!!!

College football has a history of programs making remarkable turnarounds, and if Colorado can do it, Cal and Stanford certainly have the potential, too! It's an exciting time for the sport, and we may see changes in the qualifications for head coaches as more non-traditional hires like Prime find success.

College football also thrives on the personalities of head coaches. Currently, a host of P5 head coaches excel in their roles as Offensive/Defensive Coordinators but struggle with recruiting or have personalities that come across as dry and not relatable to the players, media, and fans. I think we may see an evolution of changes in how Head Coaches are hired.

Hypothetically Speaking: What would Cal's Ceiling be with Aaron Rogers (HC)? What would Stanford's ceiling be with Richard Sherman at the helm? Both of these guys are exceptional leaders who have out-of-this-world personalities!

a rod doesnt have much of a personality and he probably wouldnt want to deal with what it takes to coach in this era. guy is pretty aloof.

and as much as a good story colorado is... they will now face oregon, sc, ucla and utah... they wont survive

a rod doesnt have much of a personality and he probably wouldnt want to deal with what it takes to coach in this era. guy is pretty aloof.

and as much as a good story colorado is... they will now face oregon, sc, ucla and utah... they wont survive
If you get A Rod, you get Marshawn Lynch. If you get Marshawn Lynch, you win the NorCal recruiting territory!

Colorado: I like their chances a lot more with a healthy Travis Hunter on the field. But if the Buffs manage to pull off an 8-4 season, I’d say that they more than survived.

Colorado doesn’t have the same challenges as Stanford and Cal.

Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, etc. may not be Ivy League, but they still have a harder time filling out an 85 man roster with stud athletes than most other P5 programs.

Also, I‘m not so quick to label Colorado as a remarkable turnaround. They’ve beaten nobody yet. TCU isn’t remotely close to the team they were last season and the Buffaloes nearly lost to a CSU team not too drastically different from last seasons’s squad that lost to Sac State by 31 points.

USC and Oregon linger on the horizon and I don’t suspect those games will be pretty. I can see up to 5-6 losses in their future. Better than last season? Sure. But not worthy of all the hype they’re getting due to Sanders name.

Last edited:

It might be an absurdity for Cal and Stanford to be competing in the ACC but the alternative(s) are not acceptable. And aside from the travel I think it will be a good thing for them competitively. Look at the Pac 12 this year; 8 teams in the Top 25. Cal needs 4 wins to be bowl eligible, and in their remaining 9 games they play 7 of these eight. The ACC does not compare with this; after Clemson and Florida St., and North Carolina and Miami to a lesser extent, the quality drops off and does not compare with the Pac 12 depth. I am a lifelong Cal fan and graduate and season ticket holder for over 45 years so I'm not overly concerned about Stanford's problems but since Cal and Stanford are joined at the hip for future realignments it would be good in general for them to improve. Yes, Harbaugh turned them around by focusing on good lineman and massive tight ends, some of which ended up as linemen. They also had a mysterious and controversial program to strengthen the linemen, and when the coach who implemented it left the team declined. Shaw inherited what Harbaugh started and even did better but eventually the tides of change caught up and the physical brand of ball they played just didn't work when they were no longer getting the type of player needed. Taylor's offense is totally different. And yes, It's not likely that Cal or Stanford will ever compete for the national championship. But it's possible for both teams to reach a much higher level. In the early Jeff Tedford days Cal was a top program. In 2004 they outplayed USC totally but lost due to turnovers and not being able to punch in a touchdown at the end of the game. Had Cal won, and gone undefeated for the rest of the regular season as they did, it's not inconceivable they could have been in the national championship game instead of USC. And to top it off, they got cheated out of the Rose Bowl by Mack Brown of Texas lobbying other coaches to change their voting. In 2006 Cal was upset by Arizona which cost them the Rose Bowl. In 2007 they were 6-0 and were on the verge of being ranked Number 1 when they lost by a notorious blunder with their back up quarterback to Oregon St. They went on to lose more games but it would have been great to be ranked Number One for at least one week. Unfortunately Tedford flamed out and they haven't recovered. Stanford had a series of Rose Bowls and top teams not that long ago. But things are different now, with NIL and transfers, and Cal and especially Stanford will always be limited in who they can recruit. Stanford has to go nation-wide and Cal also has made significant inroads into Texas and other states. They would love to get the top-level local talent and do recruit them but if they don't have the grades they are not even considered. Not the problem at many other schools.

Colorado doesn’t have the same challenges as Stanford and Cal.

Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, etc. may not be Ivy League, but they still have a harder time filling out an 85 man roster with stud athletes than most other P5 programs.

Also, I‘m not so quick to label Colorado as a remarkable turnaround. They’ve beaten nobody yet. TCU isn’t remotely close to the team they were last season and the Buffaloes nearly lost to a CSU team not too drastically different from last seasons’s squad that lost to Sac State by 31 points.

USC and Oregon linger on the horizon and I don’t suspect those games will be pretty. I can see up to 5-6 losses in their future. Better than last season? Sure. But not worthy of all the hype they’re getting due to Sanders name.
I agree Colorado, Stanford, and Cal each have unique challenges, and it's not easy for them to recruit top players.

Coach Prime appears to have changed Colorado's misfortunes, as their recent success is undeniable. They've beaten the odds and shattered them with sold-out games, soaring TV viewership, merchandise sales through the roof, and a remarkable economic boost for their local community. They also held the #1 portal transfer ranking. This team has truly turned things around, from a 1-11 record last year to impressive victories over #17 TCU, Nebraska, and in-state rival Colorado State. The PAc 12 schedule will be daunting, and it just got tougher losing the best athlete in the entire conference. But by all accounts, PRime appears to be bringing in top recruits over the next few seasons. I got to give him his props.

Stanford/Cal: I agree that Stanford and Cal's high academic standards present challenges when recruiting top talent. Building a roster with exceptional athletes can be difficult but achievable. This is what makes the recruiting trail so fun and rewarding!
But let's be real, Stanford and Cal, can't recruit! They have not mastered the craft! I've experienced it firsthand and have personally witnessed their lackluster recruiting efforts over the years. A team that can't win recruitment in their own backyard (hotbed) will always struggle.

Speaking of Academic standards/ top athletes: Stanford has a national brand! I'm appalled that they have not recruited all of those Nigerian defensive linemen coming out of the South, specifically Texas. These dudes are prime candidates for Stanford! They are highly educated and ferocious!

(Taylor may want to consider hiring someone like Chidera Uzo-Diribe from the University of Georgia, who is not only a California native but also has strong ties to California, Texas, the Midwest, and the South. Additionally, he has a solid track record as a recruiter and position coach. Publications suggest that he is a big reason why the University of Georgia's defense is so stout. He could be their way into the Nigerian community down South! I'm 100% sure that their families would send those kids to Stanford in droves! It's all about creativity!

This team has truly turned things around, from a 1-11 record last year to impressive victories over #17 TCU, Nebraska, and in-state rival Colorado State.

In no way are these impressive victories. TCU is nowhere near the same team as last season (a team that lost by 58 to Georgia btw). Disregard preseason rankings, as they are meaningless.

FWIW, TCU poured it on in Q4 against Nicholls State 10 days ago and ended up scoring a whopping 3 more points against the Colonels than Sac State did the week before.

Nebraska hasn't been seriously relevant in over 20 years and also has a new HC that isn't going to be successful, at least this season anyway.

As I already stated, CSU is largely the same team from last season that Sac State beat by 31 points. They are a bottom tier FBS program.

If Stanford had Colorado's schedule and performed exactly the same, nobody would be talking about it. We're being beaten over the head by this only because of Sanders name and media agendas. It's a blatant attempt to artificially drum up interest. They do this kinda stuff all the time. It'll likely slow down drastically once Colorado has a few losses. And they were super, super lucky to avoid their first one against a really bad team this past weekend.

But by all accounts, PRime appears to be bringing in top recruits over the next few seasons. I got to give him his props.

Not me. IMO he's emblematic of everything gone wrong with college football (and the transfer portal) and now coaching. I'm not going to list the numerous reasons why and further derail this thread. I'll just leave it at that.

In no way are these impressive victories. TCU is nowhere near the same team as last season (a team that lost by 58 to Georgia btw). Disregard preseason rankings, as they are meaningless.

FWIW, TCU poured it on in Q4 against Nicholls State 10 days ago and ended up scoring a whopping 3 more points against the Colonels than Sac State did the week before.

Nebraska hasn't been seriously relevant in over 20 years and also has a new HC that isn't going to be successful, at least this season anyway.

As I already stated, CSU is largely the same team from last season that Sac State beat by 31 points. They are a bottom tier FBS program.

If Stanford had Colorado's schedule and performed exactly the same, nobody would be talking about it. We're being beaten over the head by this only because of Sanders name and media agendas. It's a blatant attempt to artificially drum up interest. They do this kinda stuff all the time. It'll likely slow down drastically once Colorado has a few losses. And they were super, super lucky to avoid their first one against a really bad team this past weekend.

Not me. IMO he's emblematic of everything gone wrong with college football (and the transfer portal) and now coaching. I'm not going to list the numerous reasons why and further derail this thread. I'll just leave it at that.
coach norvell or coach rhule.. is that you?

I agree Colorado, Stanford, and Cal each have unique challenges, and it's not easy for them to recruit top players.

Coach Prime appears to have changed Colorado's misfortunes, as their recent success is undeniable. They've beaten the odds and shattered them with sold-out games, soaring TV viewership, merchandise sales through the roof, and a remarkable economic boost for their local community. They also held the #1 portal transfer ranking. This team has truly turned things around, from a 1-11 record last year to impressive victories over #17 TCU, Nebraska, and in-state rival Colorado State. The PAc 12 schedule will be daunting, and it just got tougher losing the best athlete in the entire conference. But by all accounts, PRime appears to be bringing in top recruits over the next few seasons. I got to give him his props.

Stanford/Cal: I agree that Stanford and Cal's high academic standards present challenges when recruiting top talent. Building a roster with exceptional athletes can be difficult but achievable. This is what makes the recruiting trail so fun and rewarding!
But let's be real, Stanford and Cal, can't recruit! They have not mastered the craft! I've experienced it firsthand and have personally witnessed their lackluster recruiting efforts over the years. A team that can't win recruitment in their own backyard (hotbed) will always struggle.

Speaking of Academic standards/ top athletes: Stanford has a national brand! I'm appalled that they have not recruited all of those Nigerian defensive linemen coming out of the South, specifically Texas. These dudes are prime candidates for Stanford! They are highly educated and ferocious!

(Taylor may want to consider hiring someone like Chidera Uzo-Diribe from the University of Georgia, who is not only a California native but also has strong ties to California, Texas, the Midwest, and the South. Additionally, he has a solid track record as a recruiter and position coach. Publications suggest that he is a big reason why the University of Georgia's defense is so stout. He could be their way into the Nigerian community down South! I'm 100% sure that their families would send those kids to Stanford in droves! It's all about creativity!
csu vs colorado did 9.3 million viewers. pac 12 after dark draws 2 million.
men lie women lie numbers dont......

i was at the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills and the whole restaurant was watching the game.

i was at the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills and the whole restaurant was watching the game.

Yup so many of my friends who aren’t huge college football fans all stayed up watching this game, Prime got people excited that’s what he has always done

Reactions: BigMann08

Prime is just doing what he does. Stir the pot, grab the spotlight, and makes waves. While many of us old-schoolers may be turned off by his grandstanding and the self-promotion by him and his kids - the reality is that its 2023, and the quickest way to get shit done, drum up interest, and make some money is though self-promotion and social media. So in that vein, he's a genius. As a coach? meh

Reactions: remc
If you win in tough to win places like he’s done so far and bring in energy I think your coaching skills are just fine………..also his support staff who he hired and delegates too has been really good that makes you a good coach

To you, the wins may not be impressive. Thats understandable. But to the Colorado staff, players, fans, and supporters, they are significant. Although they will lose games this season, this turnaround was not expected.

Ready or not, college football has changed! The transfer portal is a blessing! The days of exploiting athletes are over! And believe me, they have been exploited.

What I am interested to see is how long Deion actually sticks around….. Shilo is a Sr and Shadour is a Jr, both will be eligible for the NFL draft…. He does have a daughter there who I think is a Sophomore playing Basketball….

He really does seem like he is into it for the kids, I am sure though if he stays in College Bigger name schools will come calling…. Time will tell how this all unfolds and whether he is really committed to Colorado or not….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT