ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Cathedral WCAL Soccer Champions - 2020

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Mitty tied St. Ignatius 1-1 to prevent a three-way tie for first place in the WCAL.

Irish scored a goal at the 4 minute mark of the first half and took a 1-0 lead into the break.

Sacred Heart Cathedral then scored early in the second half at the 5:30 mark, again at the 8:14 mark, then again at the 14:40 mark to win going away 4-0, which is like 28-0 in football. To score like that against a top-ranked team is incredible.

This is the first-ever league championship in Varsity soccer in school history.

SHC Frosh finished undefeated and won their second WCAL title.

Go Irish!

Last edited:
Mitty tied St. Ignatius 1-1 to prevent a three-way tie for first place in the WCAL.

Irish scored a goal at the 4 minute mark of the first half and took a 1-0 lead into the break.

Sacred Heart Cathedral then scored early in the second half at the 5:30 mark, again at the 8:14 mark, then again at the 14:40 mark to win going away 4-0, which is like 28-0 in football. To score like that against a top-ranked team is incredible.

This is the first-ever league championship in Varsity soccer in school history.

SHC Frosh finished undefeated and won their second WCAL title.

Go Irish!

I was under impression SH were co-champs. WCAL updated their standings and it only says SH as league champs. I wonder if there was a head-to-head tiebreaker applied so Bellarmine wasnt awarded co-champs. If you can confirm that would be great. This title would be sweeter as our own and not shared.

I was under impression SH were co-champs. WCAL updated their standings and it only says SH as league champs. I wonder if there was a head-to-head tiebreaker applied so Bellarmine wasn't awarded co-champs. If you can confirm that would be great. This title would be sweeter as our own and not shared.
Yes, it was an outright title.

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye on it. The first game was a tie, so maybe this game decided it.

Per the WCAL SOCCER BY LAWS:

This only applies on the Varsity level.

1. If a team wins both contests between the teams, that team will be declared champion.

2. If teams split, they will be crowned co champions.

3. If one of the contests results in a tie, the team who won the contest will be declared the league champion.

So in this case scenario 3 applies and SHC is sole champion of the WCAL on the Varsity level

Last edited:
This is super cool to be able to claim a WCAL title!! Sounds like the soccer team is up and coming...Hopefully some of these players can help out in other sports:)

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
This is super cool to be able to claim a WCAL title!! Sounds like the soccer team is up and coming...Hopefully some of these players can help out in other sports:)
The Frosh won the title also. They were undefeated and knocked out SI from first place on the last game of the season.

Reactions: Scott2138
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT