ADVERTISEMENT

San Leandro knocks off O'Dowd

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
San Leandro didn't lead until there was 25 seconds left, but earned a 58-56 win over Bishop O'Dowd for its most impressive win of the season.

After an Elijah Hardy three pointer gave Bishop O'Dowd a 56-52 lead, the Pirates scored the next six points in a frenetic final couple of minutes on Wednesday.

The Pirates were balanced in the scoring department led by Elijah Jones-Haley with 18 points. Austin Harris had 12 points and Jahari Kay finished with 10.

A close game early was blown open by the Dragons with a 20-4 run to take a 14-all tie to a 34-18 advantage. San Leandro got back into it with a 9-0 spurt and holding Bishop O'Dowd to 14 points in the third quarter with a zone defense.

Hardy, who was the best player in this contest, had 23 points and four made three pointers. Senior BJ Shaw had 12 points and junior Naseem Gaskin had 11 points. 18 of Shaw and Gaskin's 23 points came in the first half.

Bishop O'Dowd went 6-for-17 from beyond the arc to counter its ability to get to the rim. San Leandro did most of its work around the basket and went 8-for-18 from the foul line. The Pirates went 6-for-8 in the second half.

Scoring Breakdown

San Leandro (58):
2-Pointers: 44 Points
3-Pointers: 6 Points
Free Throws: 8 Points

Bishop O'Dowd (56):
2-Pointers: 34 Points
3-Pointers: 18 Points
Free Throws: 4 Points

That should most definitely take them out of any open discussion leave them in d2
and give them a chance at getting to a state title game.

If O'Dowd is not a "Open" team then who is? They have 5 maybe 6 legit Division 1 players and a Team USA player in Hardy. They are good enough to win the "Open" title this year. One bad lose does not sum up an entire season where they played arguably the toughest schedule in the history of NorCal basketball. If not "Open", then might as well put them in DVI and guarantee a State Championship.

If O'Dowd is not a "Open" team then who is? They have 5 maybe 6 legit Division 1 players and a Team USA player in Hardy. They are good enough to win the "Open" title this year. One bad lose does not sum up an entire season where they played arguably the toughest schedule in the history of NorCal basketball. If not "Open", then might as well put them in DVI and guarantee a State Championship.

According to Max Preps, Mitty this season has a stronger Strength of Schedule.
Toughest preseason schedule perhaps.

Still a lot of basketball to be played. BOD should not be relegated to the NIT just yet.

For a team like O'Dowd with 9 total losses on the season it will depend on how they fair in the NCS D2 Bracket and that will determine if they should be in Open or not.

They don't fall into the "automatic lock" category from the NCS in my opinion;
Salesian and St. Joe's to me no matter how they fair in divisional NCS play will be in.

There is a group of other (mainly private) schools that depending on how NCS goes could in the open mix;

ODowd- If they run through NCS and win it while beating the likes of Cardinal Newman, Las Lomas and Moreau then I think they should be at min considered and probably should be in.

De La Salle- If they continue to lock down on defense and win a really competitive NCS D1 Bracket beating teams like Dublin, San Leandro, Freedom, and James Logan then I think they should also be considered and probably should be in.

St. Pats- If they beat Salesian again in the NCS D4 Championship then I think they should probably be considered also.

Sometimes its not about your SOS, or wins and losses, but about getting hot at the right time, who you beat on the way to the championship and your personnel. BOD has a 6'9 center and 2 Pac 12 Guards with some other mid to low D1 guys.

As I have always said other then woodcreek,sheldon,salesian,st joe's,ncs d1 winner
and CCS winner (Bellarmine most likely) we have at best 6 teams worthy of the open
anybody else other then capital christian who beat o'dowd handily is taken into
the open they are being sacrificed.

Reactions: Fentons Cream
As I have always said other then woodcreek,sheldon,salesian,st joe's,ncs d1 winner
and CCS winner (Bellarmine most likely) we have at best 6 teams worthy of the open
anybody else other then capital christian who beat o'dowd handily is taken into
the open they are being sacrificed.

Bones I dont think they care about sacrificing teams as long as they can fill a bracket. Remember the really good St. Francis team that lost to Serra in the CCS Open finals and they drew a 8th seed that year and played O'Dowd with a Rabb on their team.

Imagine a 8th seed (who will probably be a section winner) who would have to drive up to Sheldon and get that beat down. The sections could care less if they loose a probable state champ.

How does a team with 5 or 6 D1 players lose to San Leandro who probably doesn't have a kid who will play at any level next year? I don't see ODOWD as an open team this year. No way. I watched them get throttled by Capital Christian who is maybe an open team. (Maybe) All the talent in the world but not much on the results side. So what they played a great schedule. They have a good win in Bishop Monty but I would argue they would lose bye 20+ if they played today. Bishop Monty was without one of their D1 studs that game.

Hardy is on my all no look pass team when you don't need to do one. Guy throws no look passes all game when its totally unnecessary. I don't get it....

And the fact that BOD and DLS are the last 2 NorCal Open champs won't hurt their chances of being selected to the Open.

For a team like O'Dowd with 9 total losses on the season it will depend on how they fair in the NCS D2 Bracket and that will determine if they should be in Open or not.

They don't fall into the "automatic lock" category from the NCS in my opinion;
Salesian and St. Joe's to me no matter how they fair in divisional NCS play will be in.

There is a group of other (mainly private) schools that depending on how NCS goes could in the open mix;

ODowd- If they run through NCS and win it while beating the likes of Cardinal Newman, Las Lomas and Moreau then I think they should be at min considered and probably should be in.

De La Salle- If they continue to lock down on defense and win a really competitive NCS D1 Bracket beating teams like Dublin, San Leandro, Freedom, and James Logan then I think they should also be considered and probably should be in.

St. Pats- If they beat Salesian again in the NCS D4 Championship then I think they should probably be considered also.

Sometimes its not about your SOS, or wins and losses, but about getting hot at the right time, who you beat on the way to the championship and your personnel. BOD has a 6'9 center and 2 Pac 12 Guards with some other mid to low D1 guys.

Salesian is D3 won't play SPSV in NCS. They will probably play for TCAL championship. SPSV would play St Joes for D4 championship

Reactions: Fentons Cream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT