ADVERTISEMENT

Scoreboard 10/5-10/7

What do you mean? They switched punt return man?

With the black jerseys it’s impossible to tell jersey numbers apart. But regardless, it’s clearly in the teams head. You can see it. Doesn’t matter if they switched out returners. Just let the ball go at this point and live for another game.

Also, the stubbornness with the run game is also perplexing. Where are the short run play action passes? To one dimensional in the early going.

Now Folsom is teeing off because they know they gotta air it out.

Yep! 3 muff punts. Folsom gets great field position without really working for it and then score to take back that 14pt lead (21-7).

Rocklin is shooting themselves in the feet big time. They really shouldn’t be losing this game.

They should at least be in the game.

Can’t turn it over this much against a really good team. Also can’t be too run heavy in between the tackles against this defense.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Dominating win by Folsom tonight. Hats off.

Perhaps RHS will get another shot at these guys in the postseason and be a little more diverse offensively all while not gifting Folsom with 2 unforced turnovers and a blocked punt resulting in 3 short fields. IIRC Folsom only drove the field twice.

But 34-21 don’t lie. Nice win for Bulldog Nation.

Last edited:
Turlock 58 Pitman 0. Turlock at Downey next Friday, should be interesting.

Rio Americano beats CB 31-13. I really thought the Raiders undefeated season was coming to an end tonight, shows what I know. Rio really hadn’t played any decent teams, and I thought their weak schedule was going to catch up to them. Hats off to them. Was an ugly, choppy and slow game. Lots of flags. I’m guessing Falcons had at least 10 holding calls against them, many at very inopportune moments.

From the Elk Grove Citizen:

Laguna Creek 68
Burbank 6

Bradshaw Christian 53
El Dorado 7

Elk Grove 51
Sheldon 0

Jesuit 34
Franklin 6

Foothill 52
Florin 7

Monterey Trail 62
McClatchy 0

Dominating win by Folsom tonight. Hats off.

Perhaps RHS will get another shot at these guys in the postseason and be a little more diverse offensively all while not gifting Folsom with 3 unforced turnovers and a blocked punt resulting in 4 short fields. IIRC Folsom only drove the field twice.

But 34-14 don’t lie. Nice win for Bulldog Nation.
Bulldogs came to play, Rocklin immediately falling behind by 14 against that improv sideline darts (plural), getting behind the zone. Now chasing points all game, you end up punting for crap yards. Notice the difference when Folsom punts its sailing for 40 yds. Then you miss a field goal, get a punr block, muff two punts returns, and expect your defense to get stops all game. Not the recipe for success. Good job Folsom and good job nor quitting by Rocklin. Rocklin needs to fix special teams as this is a good test of deep playoff teams. See it, spend time on it, get it fixed. 34-21, hurts.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Bulldogs came to play, Rocklin immediately falling behind by 14 against that improv sideline darts (plural), getting behind the zone. Now chasing points all game, you end up punting for crap yards. Notice the difference when Folsom punts its sailing for 40 yds. Then you miss a field goal, get a punr block, muff two punts returns, and expect your defense to get stops all game. Not the recipe for success. Good job Folsom and good job nor quitting by Rocklin. Rocklin needs to fix special teams as this is a good test of deep playoff teams. See it, spend time on it, get it fixed. 34-21, hurts.
None of these local teams have been been able to put together 4 qtrs against Folsom. OR was dead locked into the 4th and then wheels came off bus. Sounds like Rocklin really had self imposed issues and otherwise this game could have been a lot different. Folsom goes into the easier part of the SFL which I think they will dominate. Rocklin vs OR should be a great game however. I would give slight edge to Rocklin from what I’ve seen.
Pinnick made tons of plays to keep DO alive vs OR.

Reactions: THEOC89
None of these local teams have been been able to put together 4 qtrs against Folsom. OR was dead locked into the 4th and then wheels came off bus. Sounds like Rocklin really had self imposed issues and otherwise this game could have been a lot different. Folsom goes into the easier part of the SFL which I think they will dominate. Rocklin vs OR should be a great game however. I would give slight edge to Rocklin from what I’ve seen.
Pinnick made tons of plays to keep DO alive vs OR.
I agree, this season no league team has put 4qtrs of football together against Folsom. Folsom is a very good team, and you just can't gift a team like that possessions. It was always going to be hard sledding and I thought Rocklin did fairly well to make plays. They got a handful of defensive stops and put together a few really nice drives. Their line play was better than I thought but their lack of speed at WR was noticeable. I Think I covered special teams already, and that kinda of play can't be hidden, so fix it.

Rocklin really didn't play Folsom any closer than the score. Folsom had better players everywhere except on the lines. I would also say that Folsom didn't play there best game either.

I don't want to pile on a 6-1 team that was in my opinion overhyped. They played a better team and lost and will still be a relevant playoff team.

Some positives I saw from Rocklin.

The beef package is legit in short yardage
The qb using his legs more, like to see more true qb pull out of pistol. Sloan is a weapon
#11 on defense, what a motor.
Interior line play

Rocklin should play Del Oro well and Granite Bay better, however I can't say they will definitely win those games. Oak Ridge will be a tough matchup for the Thunder but I see both teams pretty equal.

Folsom will go undefeated in SFL and will likely win D1. Good game for the Bulldogs, no more noise on who's better in the SFL.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
I agree, this season no league team has put 4qtrs of football together against Folsom. Folsom is a very good team, and you just can't gift a team like that possessions. It was always going to be hard sledding and I thought Rocklin did fairly well to make plays. They got a handful of defensive stops and put together a few really nice drives. Their line play was better than I thought but their lack of speed at WR was noticeable. I Think I covered special teams already, and that kinda of play can't be hidden, so fix it.

Rocklin really didn't play Folsom any closer than the score. Folsom had better players everywhere except on the lines. I would also say that Folsom didn't play there best game either.

I don't want to pile on a 6-1 team that was in my opinion overhyped. They played a better team and lost and will still be a relevant playoff team.

Some positives I saw from Rocklin.

The beef package is legit in short yardage
The qb using his legs more, like to see more true qb pull out of pistol. Sloan is a weapon
#11 on defense, what a motor.
Interior line play

Rocklin should play Del Oro well and Granite Bay better, however I can't say they will definitely win those games. Oak Ridge will be a tough matchup for the Thunder but I see both teams pretty equal.

Folsom will go undefeated in SFL and will likely win D1. Good game for the Bulldogs, no more noise on who's better in the SFL.
What we can say though is the gap between Folsom and the rest of the SFL has narrowed to such a point where at least three of the teams have/had a legit chance of knocking them off had things gone their way just a bit more. Teams are going in thinking they can get a result where in the past that wasn’t the case.
Oak Ridge holds DO off 42-35. I guess pinnick put on a show and was just amazing.
he did but he was on the run and felt pressure most of the night. Line play for DO on O and D was suspect last night. Seems like there might have been some changes in personnel just based on the numbers I saw. Injury/illness. OR line is very good and has good size.

DO Achilles heal all season is the defense. It has not been anywhere close to the defenses of old. Not sure if it simply comes down to personnel or something else but it has been the weakness of the this years squad even though it has had decent games against inferior teams.

What I love about the SFL is the commitment and toughness of the kids, across the league. If DO can sort out their D, they’d be much more competitive in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: remc and THEOC89
What we can say though is the gap between Folsom and the rest of the SFL has narrowed to such a point where at least three of the teams have/had a legit chance of knocking them off had things gone their way just a bit more. Teams are going in thinking they can get a result where in the past that wasn’t the case.
100% agree. That gap has narrowed. I think there was a healthy bit of fear in years past facing Folsom, that ship has sailed. It's also a familiarility thing, meaning lunderstanding what Dougherty wants to do/scheme that really marginalized their running game. Wish Rocklin had that game to do over. Oh well.

100% agree. That gap has narrowed. I think there was a healthy bit of fear in years past facing Folsom, that ship has sailed. It's also a familiarility thing, meaning lunderstanding what Dougherty wants to do/scheme that really marginalized their running game. Wish Rocklin had that game to do over. Oh well.
Folsom offensively back in day would score 45-55 points like it was no big deal. I wouldn’t say they struggle to score now but it doesn’t come that easy and compared to the past it’s not even in same conversation. Folsom punting for years might have occurred against DLS. But 99% they were so good they never had to punt (every down was 1st or 2nd) or they just got it on 4th.

I don’t see them losing in SFL and I’m going to say Central Catholic probably is their next nearest team which they could meet in SJS.
Granite Bay will be a tough game for OR this week. I’m not looking past them.

Curious about Clovis North and how that plays out. They play Clovis west this week.

Folsom offensively back in day would score 45-55 points like it was no big deal. I wouldn’t say they struggle to score now but it doesn’t come that easy and compared to the past it’s not even in same conversation. Folsom punting for years might have occurred against DLS. But 99% they were so good they never had to punt (every down was 1st or 2nd) or they just got it on 4th.

I don’t see them losing in SFL and I’m going to say Central Catholic probably is their next nearest team which they could meet in SJS.

Curious about Clovis North and how that plays out. They play Clovis west this week.
I’m still sticking to my guns that Folsom runs the SFL and goes unblemished in league.

From an optimist view, 34-21 ain’t bad considering 3 muffs (2 turnovers) and the punt block (1 turnover). When you play a team the caliber of Folsom and turn it over 3x giving them short fields each time and don’t cause any turnovers yourself — losing by 13 surely isn’t the worst outcome.

Clean that stuff up and I think the Thunder are primed for a rematch.

The importance of special teams

Folsom 13 possessions
7 punts
5 scores
Every drive started inside rocklins 50
3 Folsom TDs - started the drive on Rocklins 25
Three turnovers recovered by Folsom

From an optimist view, 34-21 ain’t bad considering 3 muffs (2 turnovers) and the punt block (1 turnover). When you play a team the caliber of Folsom and turn it over 3x giving them short fields each time and don’t cause any turnovers yourself — losing by 13 surely isn’t the worst outcome.

Clean that stuff up and I think the Thunder are primed for a rematch.
Would they possibly meet in the playoffs or is Rocklin now in D2?… I remember a couple years ago they met in the section title game but I thought that changed this year….

Would Luv to see a rematch, I agree with you, I think the Rocklin mistakes are fixable and they would have the best chance to beat Folsom since ST Mary’s is in D2 now…..

Would they possibly meet in the playoffs or is Rocklin now in D2?… I remember a couple years ago they met in the section title game but I thought that changed this year….

Would Luv to see a rematch, I agree with you, I think the Rocklin mistakes are fixable and they would have the best chance to beat Folsom since ST Mary’s is in D2 now…..
Teams are locked into divisions at the beginning of the season now. Rocklin is D2. Folsom is D1, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT