ADVERTISEMENT

Scores?

Great. No doubt, the CCS suburbs are not what they were a generation or two ago. Demographics have changed them, big-time. And that's the key factor when all is said and done. Back in the day, public schools like Sequoia, Capuchino, South San Francisco, Santa Cruz, San Mateo and some others were the cream of the programs south of SF. No more. It's a different ballgame in CCS today.

Yeah, I lived in Norcal and moved to Idaho 12 years ago. There are 5-7 teams in the state that can compete with the big boys in Norcal. Doesn't sound like they are competing (keeping the game close) tonight but you know what I mean. CDA will make it to at least the quarterfinals. If any of you are BYU fans Hill and Magnum who are competing for the QB position are both Idaho kids. Boise State seems to do well with a bunch of Idaho kids. Next years CDA Folsom game should be a doozy. CDA knew they were a year away but props for searching for an awesome opponent like Folsom. I'm sure it was fun for the fans to see a team from out of state come to Folsom. Good time had by all.

Agreed about the smaller states... It is easy to overlook those interstate games with smaller states, but the top teams in smaller states can often hold their own with top teams of other larger states. This comparison can also be made between Norcal and Socal. Socal has many more larger schools, thus their volume of top teams are higher. But as we see in the state SBG games, norcal holds their own.

And of course if you caught the Bishop Gorman (Nevada) Cider Hill (Texas) game, you saw a small school in a small state (albeit a football factory) destroy a top 5 big Texas school in a huge state.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
My post was in response to PAL95 making a general statement in regards to poly's being the tough kids on Serra's team. In my opinion, this statement was inappropriate and has no merit to it whatsoever and I'm sure coach Walsh would agree. That being said, for the most part teams in the CCS plays a tough brand of football but so does the mighty SJS. So to make myself perfectly clear, the top programs in the CCS are hit by down years more so than the top programs in the SJS. For instance, Bellarmine is down this year while Folsom and Del Oro are still up. Palma and SHP are down this year while Central Catholic and Elk Grove are still up. And any given year a team like Grant, St. Mary's (Stockton), Jesuit, Granite Bay and now Sheldon with Coach Cattolico can win the SJS and the NOR-CAL Championship. The talent runs deep in the SJS and the NFL has proven that to be the case over the years. There were 3 players from the SJS that was selected in the first round of the draft in 2014 and 2 players selected in the NFL draft in the first round a year later (2015). There's a stud RS Sophomore D-Lineman at UCLA, and a stud RS Freshman LB @ USC from the SJS as well as a stud True Freshman QB at Washington all from the mighty SJS. That's just the Sacramento area of the SJS. So when the CCS defeats a power SJS team it's considered an upset not the other way around. Just being honest.

CT4L
CTFL, got it! No argument here in regards to the amount of talent emerging from the SJS over the past decade+. This has been mentioned on any post(s) re CCS/BayArea and the SJS. The insane cost of living has led to hundreds of families from the Bay Area to leave and has also resulted in change in racial demographics due to the high tech boom . I know this first hand as many neighbors/friends now live in the Sacramento suburbs. Back to football - would be a great matchup to see SMS take on Folsom this season.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
CT4L I've been a Trojan fan since i could crawl. I know of no RS Freshman from SJS. The kid from Granite bay is a sophomore linebacker. Who are you referencing

Great. No doubt, the CCS suburbs are not what they were a generation or two ago. Demographics have changed them, big-time. And that's the key factor when all is said and done. Back in the day, public schools like Sequoia, Capuchino, South San Francisco, Santa Cruz, San Mateo and some others were the cream of the programs south of SF. No more. It's a different ballgame in CCS today.
I agree and you can add perennial power's Palo Alto and Oak Grove to that list of CCS public schools. The same can be said about past SJS public schools perennial power's like Nevada Union, Napa and Lincoln of Stockton. So just as it's a different ball game in the CCS it's a different one in the SJS as well.

CT4L

CT4L I've been a Trojan fan since i could crawl. I know of no RS Freshman from SJS. The kid from Granite bay is a sophomore linebacker. Who are you referencing
I was referencing Cam Smith in which I figured he would RS after his knee injury. If he didn't RS I stand corrected. Either way, RS Freshman and true Sophomore basically means he's going on his second year in the program. I've been a Trojan fan for over four decades and I don't claim to get all the little details about the program 100% correct. Just 99% of the time. Trojans 28 Bama 24. Roll the Tide & Fight On!!!

CT4L

Reactions: remc
CTFL, got it! No argument here in regards to the amount of talent emerging from the SJS over the past decade+. This has been mentioned on any post(s) re CCS/BayArea and the SJS. The insane cost of living has led to hundreds of families from the Bay Area to leave and has also resulted in change in racial demographics due to the high tech boom . I know this first hand as many neighbors/friends now live in the Sacramento suburbs. Back to football - would be a great matchup to see SMS take on Folsom this season.
Totally agree with your spot on post. The SJS is also being rewarded major talent from the OAL as the cost of living in Oakland has been increasing for decades now. I remember when folks started moving from the Oakland/Bay area to Sacramento in the 80's because the cost to buy a home was real cheap or reasonable.

CT4L

CCS is an integral part of the Silicon Valley/Biotech bubble that skews just about everything from housing prices and ethnic influx to private school demand/tuition costs and a geezer population that is increasing. It's a very tough mix for public school athletic programs.

CT4L i never inferred you get everything right about USC. I just went fishing. I knew Cam Smith went to USC. I just don't understand the connection of how you went from PGOWNSWHITNEY to CaliTrojan4Life

CT4L i never inferred you get everything right about USC. I just went fishing. I knew Cam Smith went to USC. I just don't understand the connection of how you went from PGOWNSWHITNEY to CaliTrojan4Life
It's a long story H.E.A.T.. I personally don't feel like going over my reasoning behind changing my moniker from PG to USC "again". It's a (w)rap.

CT4L

Cardinal Newman is going to have its hands full next week against SMS. I plan on going to that game because I want to see how Brookshire does against other D1 players. Newman more than held there own last year against the Rams but this one could be different. Either way a good game for Newman to schedule and one the Rams can't lose.
Hey Legend33, I think it's actually gonna be a good game. I think it definitely help Brookshire playing 7 on 7 with TMP elite. He threw for 330 yards and 4 touchdowns in 3 quarters. With the young db's and linebacker for SMS should make things very interesting. Cant wait.

Hey Legend33, I think it's actually gonna be a good game. I think it definitely help Brookshire playing 7 on 7 with TMP elite. He threw for 330 yards and 4 touchdowns in 3 quarters. With the young db's and linebacker for SMS should make things very interesting. Cant wait.

Agree. Brookshire was a huge thorn for St. Mary's to deal with the last couple of years, especially last year. St. Mary's LB's need to be disciplined and prepared to react accordingly. I do believe St. Mary's secondary vs the pass will be better this vs last year per their play vs Serra. But, again, they too, will need to be ready should Brookshire get past the D-line and LB's. Anticipate another shootout. But, I anticipate CN defense will have a tougher time vs St. Mary's offense, unless of course, the Rams turn the ball over. St. Mary's better be more prepared for onside kicks, too.

Agree. Brookshire was a huge thorn for St. Mary's to deal with the last couple of years, especially last year. St. Mary's LB's need to be disciplined and prepared to react accordingly. I do believe St. Mary's secondary vs the pass will be better this vs last year per their play vs Serra. But, again, they too, will need to be ready should Brookshire get past the D-line and LB's. Anticipate another shootout. But, I anticipate CN defense will have a tougher time vs St. Mary's offense, unless of course, the Rams turn the ball over. St. Mary's better be more prepared for onside kicks, too.
Not to sound like a homer, but the St Mary's defense seems better than last years. Their biggest issue is their run defense. Serra was shredding St. Mary's, especially when Nunn was a qb. The junior seem to have filled some gaps left by the graduates. The game should be interesting. Hopefully big country and the O-line can impose their will on the Cardinal Newman defense.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT