ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage Week in SFL

RunningRon

Sports Fanatic
Sep 22, 2015
Scrimmage week for SFL teams on Saturday. Folsom has a practice listed (anyone know of a scrimmage?). Didn't see Oak Ridge. Should be a good one down in Stockton for Granite Bay.
  1. GB vs St. Mary’s
  2. Rocklin vs Monterrey Trail
  3. Del Oro vs Antelope
  4. Nevada Union vs Kennedy
  5. Woodcreek vs Del Campo
  6. Oak Ridge vs ??
  7. Folsom practice scheduled
Preseason schedules are interesting with GB/Folsom both having Jesuit on the schedule and GB/OR having Vacaville. Del Oro has an intriguing game against a Southern Section team in St. Paul. Woodcreek could be 4-0 heading into league, nobody stands out on their slate.

Woodcreek could be 4-0 heading into league, nobody stands out on their slate.

We've seen that story the past 2 seasons. Then the reality of SFL play hits. They've still never finished a season over .500 in the program's history. Hopefully they'll climb that mountain one day soon. As a fan of the SFL, I'd really like to see them step it up. A league is only as good as it's weakest links and they are right there at the bottom along with NU.

With regard to their non-league schedule, Sheldon might surprise with Coach C and Antelope might still be a decent opponent despite the loss of Montel Aaron.

Reactions: 131Pressman
There is something amiss at the Creek I have watched them for years. They get and have players. Always get linemen...and it's not all coaching bc they had some good guys there and they do now....I think it's up the chain there and in parent support...something above that program is holding it back...but I don't have the answer.....I suspect it's the admin....

Reactions: ThunderRam
Woodcreek could be 4-0 heading into league, nobody stands out on their slate.
Not saying Woodcreek won't go 4-0 but I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. I wouldn't take Antelope for granted. They've been producing a lot of quality victories over the past three years and beat WC 27-24 in 2014. Vintage can be a challenge if they've gotten their stuff together. Playing in Memorial Stadium will be a boost from their lost @ Woodcreek last year. And Sheldon has a championship coach and it doesn't take him long to show and prove. 4-0 is not impossible but I bet WC's coach doesn't feel as comfortable as you about their matchup in their house on August 26th. Here's some historical facts and information. During the time Coach Cat was PG's head coach they beat Coach Cunha physically tough Roseville teams in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. While WC lost to Roseville in 2008, won in 2009 and lost in 2010 and 2011. Both PG and WC lost to Roseville in 2007 by nearly the same score. Mind you PG was playing without seniors that year. Can't wait.

CT4L

No argument there - but your dream aint' happening. Woodcreek needs to move to the CVC and battle it out with Ponderosa, Bella Vista and Oakmont, not Folsom, Granite Bay and Del Oro.

And you'll get no argument from me on this point either. During the last realignment, I was really hoping Woodcreek would be swapped with Whitney. Hell, Roseville was still a much better fit for the SFL. At least they were a threat to win the league from time to time.

As far as NU goes, it's just too bad that their steep decline coincided with their move back to the SFL. How cool would it be for the league if they were still the program they used to be?

Reactions: RunningRon
CT4L, the term "could" was used for the reasons you stated, especially Coach Cat, he will cause teams fits and given the athletes he'll have at his disposal he can make a good run, and gotta be some kids transferring now because of him, he's a great football mind, gotta be the best DC around this area even though he's a former QB and knows how to win and get the most out of his kids.

Roseville probably is a better fit than Woodcreek for the SFL, although Whitney has probably beaten more SFL teams than either of those two, plus nearly beat OR last season, beat Rocklin, gave DO a scare and did beat Roseville! Having coached in both Texas and Colorado and having raised two daughters who fiercely competed and never pointed a finger, know a bit about character and what holds teams back and it's a guarantee the parents at Woodcreek have more to do with their kid's attitudes and poor performance than any administrator!

SFL schedule wise, Granite Bay will either be beat up or battle tested, they have a tough preseason schedule and will be ready for league, will be interesting how they fare against Jesuit as compared to Folsom, and Vacaville as compared to Oak Ridge, should be telling.

Roseville probably is a better fit than Woodcreek for the SFL, although Whitney has probably beaten more SFL teams than either of those two

Actually, no. They are 2-12 all-time against Rocklin, Woodcreek, Del Oro and Oak Ridge (never played GB, NU, or Folsom). The only 2 wins are against Rocklin.

Since 2010 -- when Whitney 1st started scheduling SFL programs -- Roseville is 6-7 against those same teams (sans Oak Ridge, who they haven't faced).

Woodcreek is 5-25 against the current makeup of the SFL since 2010. 4 of the 5 wins were against NU.
NU is 3-25. 2 of the 3 were against Woodcreek,

Conclusion: NU and Woodcreek can't hang and we don't know whether Whitney could fare any better since Woodcreek has a higher win% and only NU is worse. That said, I think Whitney has a better program in place and the potential to compete at a higher level down the road. I'd much rather see them in the league. Or Roseville.

Last edited:
Folsom will scrimmage Elk Grove on Sat 8/20 7pm at Folsom High School.
Should be a good test to evaluate Folsom's physicality and to see who emerges out of the backfield for EG. Should be a fun competitive look for both teams, as they seem to always meet somewhere along their playoff runs.

I think the most intriguing scrimmage this weekend in the SFL will be GB vs Saint Mary's. Both teams look loaded. GB had some big talented skill guys on their JV team last season, it will be interesting how quickly they adjust, GB might be sneaky good with attention on other SFL teams. Dewey Cotton will be fun to watch what he does for his sr. season. That kid has a man body on a 5'4' frame haha, great hs player and will be fun to track at Sac St, see if it translates. Any idea where the GB v SM scrimmage is being played at?

Last edited:
Thanks COTF for the info no Folsom/EG, great matchup there. The GB/SM scrimmage was listed as being in Stockton and agree that GB will be a sleeper for sure.

Folsom will scrimmage Elk Grove on Sat 8/20 7pm at Folsom High School.
Should be a good test to evaluate Folsom's physicality and to see who emerges out of the backfield for EG. Should be a fun competitive look for both teams, as they seem to always meet somewhere along their playoff runs.

I think the most intriguing scrimmage this weekend in the SFL will be GB vs Saint Mary's. Both teams look loaded. GB had some big talented skill guys on their JV team last season, it will be interesting how quickly they adjust, GB might be sneaky good with attention on other SFL teams. Dewey Cotton will be fun to watch what he does for his sr. season. That kid has a man body on a 5'4' frame haha, great hs player and will be fun to track at Sac St, see if it translates. Any idea where the GB v SM scrimmage is being played at?
Watch for Popo Aumavae from St. Mary's. At 6'4" 300+ he won't be hard to spot. Potential to be a great player. SM's schedule has scrimmage at GB 9am. GB's schedule has it at GB at 10am

Watch for Popo Aumavae from St. Mary's. At 6'4" 300+ he won't be hard to spot. Potential to be a great player. SM's schedule has scrimmage at GB 9am. GB's schedule has it at GB at 10am
Oops! Appreciate the schedule fix.

CT4L, the term "could" was used for the reasons you stated, especially Coach Cat, he will cause teams fits and given the athletes he'll have at his disposal he can make a good run, and gotta be some kids transferring now because of him, he's a great football mind, gotta be the best DC around this area even though he's a former QB and knows how to win and get the most out of his kids.

Roseville probably is a better fit than Woodcreek for the SFL, although Whitney has probably beaten more SFL teams than either of those two, plus nearly beat OR last season, beat Rocklin, gave DO a scare and did beat Roseville! Having coached in both Texas and Colorado and having raised two daughters who fiercely competed and never pointed a finger, know a bit about character and what holds teams back and it's a guarantee the parents at Woodcreek have more to do with their kid's attitudes and poor performance than any administrator!

SFL schedule wise, Granite Bay will either be beat up or battle tested, they have a tough preseason schedule and will be ready for league, will be interesting how they fare against Jesuit as compared to Folsom, and Vacaville as compared to Oak Ridge, should be telling.
I believe Vacaville will be a "Sleeper" as usual and they have been beaten by both GB & OR, Vacaville may be do for a break out year! I love them scheduling teams from the SFL!

I believe Vacaville will be a "Sleeper" as usual and they have been beaten by both GB & OR, Vacaville may be do for a break out year! I love them scheduling teams from the SFL!
For some reason Vacaville is always a "sleeper". You never know from year to year if the Bulldogs are average, good or made of section championship material. They always have good line play and above average RB's.

CT4L

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Scrimmage week for SFL teams on Saturday. Folsom has a practice listed (anyone know of a scrimmage?). Didn't see Oak Ridge. Should be a good one down in Stockton for Granite Bay.
  1. GB vs St. Mary’s
  2. Rocklin vs Monterrey Trail
  3. Del Oro vs Antelope
  4. Nevada Union vs Kennedy
  5. Woodcreek vs Del Campo
  6. Oak Ridge vs ??
  7. Folsom practice scheduled
Preseason schedules are interesting with GB/Folsom both having Jesuit on the schedule and GB/OR having Vacaville. Del Oro has an intriguing game against a Southern Section team in St. Paul. Woodcreek could be 4-0 heading into league, nobody stands out on their slate.
I believe Oak Ridge will scrimmage at Whitney this Saturday at 9:00am.

Del Oro scrimmage impressions:
  • Overall DO looked good on both sides of the ball... against an unranked Antelope team
  • QB Smartt looked good. Hit WR Mason on 50yrd bomb in stride for big gainer. General accuracy looked good. Looked very confident
  • RB Davis looking strong and maybe has a bit more speed than last year. Shed 1st and second hits a number of times to power for a few yards but Antelope D was not tackling well
  • Line play on both sides looked OK but disciplined
  • LB's impressed me the most. LB Luna is a stud and looks to have gained some muscle mass
  • Defense impressed me the most especially against the run
  • Hard to tell how secondary did with Antelope QB floating most of his passes over 15yrds. DO DB's had a lot of time to converge on the ball and had a lot of pics. DB's were in position most of the time regardless of pass quality
DO seems to have a good foundation to work from. Will see where they go from here

Thanks for the 1st hand observation, Rick. Nobody knows DO like you do. If they start out half way decent this season, look out.

Hey TR,

Did you get a look at the Benzel bunch today?

Opening the season against the G-men in DPH should be a great game.

Who is going to be Rocklin's breakout RB this year, Turner? Rakela?
Is Nolan going to be the starting QB?

Bummer for Rocklin that Michalet xfer'd to Folsom.

Looks like a good pre-season for Rocklin with Grant/Napa/Whitney/Clovis-West.

Can't wait for Friday Night Lights!

Any updates from the Granite Bay vs St. Mary's scrimmage? With much returning talent from the Rams, curious how they did against the Grizzlies. Especially curious on how Rams junior RB Dusty Frampton performed, and even more so the Rams defense, which hopefully has improved.

Folsom offense was effective, but not sure it is what it's been in past, Elk Grove stopped them a number of times on fourth down (Folsom still won't punt). Their #21 (Davis?) is an athlete, very skilled. EG seemed to move the ball easily, but had trouble finishing inside the 20, but did punch a couple in, think the "score" was a tie after it was all done (4 running quarters, subs in "2nd half"). Their Rocklin QB transfer was in a wheel chair, someone said he broke his leg. Also caught GB's 9am scrimmage, it would seem they are either the real deal or Saint Mary's didn't come to play, GB scored nearly every possession while shutting down SM's offense. GB has some real play makers and solid defense. Sounds like DO is very solid too, so throw in good Oak Ridge and Rocklin teams and it will be another real battle in the SFL this year!

Their Rocklin QB transfer was in a wheel chair, someone said he broke his leg.

Unfortunate, if true. Michalet is a talented player. That said, wouldn't he have had to sit out the first 4-5 games anyway (30 days), as a senior transfer? I thought that is the rule. So he should be close to healed up by the time he was eligible to play anyway, no?

Unfortunate, if true. Michalet is a talented player. That said, wouldn't he have had to sit out the first 4-5 games anyway (30 days), as a senior transfer? I thought that is the rule. So he should be close to healed up by the time he was eligible to play anyway, no?
If it was the Femur takes anywhere from 16-20 weeks to heal in most cases. Which is around 5 months. Seen players bounce back pretty fast after breaking their Patella. I've also seen them have a long healing recovery from this break. Crutches can be a hinderance if looking for a speedy recovery. The Tibia takes anywhere from 4 to 6 months to heal and sometimes longer. The Fibula can take up to 4 to 5 months to resume back to normal activity. But the healing process can take up to 2 years. (I sprained my ankle pretty bad after stepping into a pothole and it took well over a year before I was pain free).

So depending on what part of his leg he broke will determine the recovery time. That being said, open fractures or compound fractures when the bone comes through the skin usually takes the healing process longer. Hope he has a speedy full recovery and a injury free rest of the season.

CT4L

The Fibula can take up to 4 to 5 months to resume back to normal activity.

I suffered a clean break of my left fibula during a HS game and it didn't take anywhere near 4-5 months. When it happened, the Dr. told me 4-6 weeks. Well, I wasn't ready for game action after 4-6 weeks, I can tell you that. It was more around 8-10 weeks or so. But everyone is different.

I suffered a clean break of my left fibula during a HS game and it didn't take anywhere near 4-5 months. When it happened, the Dr. told me 4-6 weeks. Well, I wasn't ready for game action after 4-6 weeks, I can tell you that. It was more around 8-10 weeks or so. But everyone is different.
Pretty close to same experience. Broke it first game and was back for last two games but not 100%

You built Ford tough TR. They don't make'm like they use to. ;)

CT4L

You built Ford tough TR. They don't make'm like they use to. ;)

Apparently not since 2wcats said he had the same experience. And I'm definitely quite aware that I'm not the fastest healer either.

The kids today are in a much better situation with nutrition, supplements, and medicine in general. Look what Terrell Owens did in 2005 and Adrian Peterson just a couple years ago.

Regardless, I only commented because I had first hand experience with a fractured fibula and am well aware that it doesn't take 4-5 months. Most clean breaks are 4-8 weeks depending upon whether it is weight bearing or not. Bones heal fairly quickly in young people.

Now my ACL and meniscus recovery time? Much, much different story....

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Apparently not since 2wcats said he had the same experience. And I'm definitely quite aware that I'm not the fastest healer either.

The kids today are in a much better situation with nutrition, supplements, and medicine in general. Look what Terrell Owens did in 2005 and Adrian Peterson just a couple years ago.

Regardless, I only commented because I had first hand experience with a fractured fibula and am well aware that it doesn't take 4-5 months. Most clean breaks are 4-8 weeks depending upon whether it is weight bearing or not. Bones heal fairly quickly in young people.

Now my ACL and meniscus recovery time? Much, much different story....
In regards to a clean break you are 100% correct. It takes about 2 months to heal. A compound fracture to the fibula which is the worse case scenario can take up to a year to recover. Based the recovery time to that of Louisville Cardinals 20-year old basketball star Kevin Ware and Indiana Pacers star Paul George. Both had horrific compound fractures to the fibula and both took around 8 months to fully recover.

On another note: Do the Thunder have what it takes to get it done @ Grant? I say this because I was at the playoff game in 2009 between these two teams @ Folsom Stadium. I thought that was a great win/upset by the Thunder coaching staff and players. Love watching Benzel run up and down the sidelines during that game. The guy has a great amount of passion for the game. Gotta love it!!!:DI'm sure this will be a zero week "Pick'em" contest.

CT4L

Yeah, a compound is a whole different beast. No doubt. Same with a shatter. No comparisons.

As for Rocklin, I really have no idea what to expect. I mean, they lost a lot of firepower from last season that's difficult to replace. I haven't had a chance to see any practices or scrimmages and am behind the 8-ball with regard to worthwhile intel. I'd probably lean toward Grant having an advantage this Friday for various reasons, but I'm hopeful the Thunder can rise up and win in a tough environment to win -- and against a historic program.

The 2009 game was special. Rocklin beat a team that has 3 current NFL'ers. Quite honestly, they should have lost. But that was a phenomenal game nonetheless, as was the DO-Folsom game the night before. Best 2 games I think I've ever seen in succession.

I've often lauded the 2009 season as one of the SJS's best ever -- specifically the D2 bracket. IMO, Rocklin, Grant Union, Del Oro, Folsom and St. Mary's were ALL capable of winning State that year. Rocklin nearly did despite the loss of Jimmy Laughrea. Del Oro played 2 tough games that could have gone either way against a full strength Rocklin team. Grant Union came within a 21-yd FG of winning despite not playing well. St. Mary's only lost 1 game to Del Oro by 1 point. And Folsom choked a 35-7 halftime lead against DO and still came within an eyelash of converting a game winning FG that was tipped. As we all know, what was essentially that same Folsom team ended up winning State very next season despite losing by 35 to a healthy Grant.

Those were some stellar, stellar teams. The very best single bracket I've seen in the SJS.

Yeah, a compound is a whole different beast. No doubt. Same with a shatter. No comparisons.

As for Rocklin, I really have no idea what to expect. I mean, they lost a lot of firepower from last season that's difficult to replace. I haven't had a chance to see any practices or scrimmages and am behind the 8-ball with regard to worthwhile intel. I'd probably lean toward Grant having an advantage this Friday for various reasons, but I'm hopeful the Thunder can rise up and win in a tough environment to win -- and against a historic program.

The 2009 game was special. Rocklin beat a team that has 3 current NFL'ers. Quite honestly, they should have lost. But that was a phenomenal game nonetheless, as was the DO-Folsom game the night before. Best 2 games I think I've ever seen in succession.

I've often lauded the 2009 season as one of the SJS's best ever -- specifically the D2 bracket. IMO, Rocklin, Grant Union, Del Oro, Folsom and St. Mary's were ALL capable of winning State that year. Rocklin nearly did despite the loss of Jimmy Laughrea. Del Oro played 2 tough games that could have gone either way against a full strength Rocklin team. Grant Union came within a 21-yd FG of winning despite not playing well. St. Mary's only lost 1 game to Del Oro by 1 point. And Folsom choked a 35-7 halftime lead against DO and still came within an eyelash of converting a game winning FG that was tipped. As we all know, what was essentially that same Folsom team ended up winning State very next season despite losing by 35 to a healthy Grant.

Those were some stellar, stellar teams. The very best single bracket I've seen in the SJS.
Totally agree with you TR. 2009 was a very special year for many SJS teams. Same year PG took Folsom to the wire in a 27-26 OT lose. That was the year they had NFL'ers WR Jalen Saunders aka "Liquid" and DT Arik Armstead. The same year they were projected to win the SJS championship until they lost two critical 2-way starters FS/Flanker Josh Adam and MLB/FB Sedrick Allen in their first game against Lincoln (Stockton). The SJS has so much talent they sent three players into the 2014 NFL draft first round in wide receiver Brandin Cooks (Lincoln of Stockton), cornerback Jason Verrett (Rodriquez of Fairfield), and strong safety Deone Bucannon (Vanden of Fairfield). The very next year two SJS players went in the 2015 NFL draft first round in Defensive Tackle Arik Armstead (Pleasant Grove of Elk Grove), and Linebacker Shaq Thompson (Grant Union of Del Paso Heights). In my opinion, the SJS has more raw talent than any other section in the state.

CT4L

There is something amiss at the Creek I have watched them for years. They get and have players. Always get linemen...and it's not all coaching bc they had some good guys there and they do now....I think it's up the chain there and in parent support...something above that program is holding it back...but I don't have the answer.....I suspect it's the admin....

I can tell you it's not for lack of swag by Coaching staff, (you would think they were coach Harbaugh the way they walk around campus) each coach comes with much confidence promising to implement their system, even heard one proudly say he was investing 10k on kettle balls and "putting his name on this turning around the program" lol! then 3-4 years go by, coach resigns and the process repeats like Groundhog Day. It to love the soft preseason schedule every year, it's worked so well, why change right? Based on success of other programs there (basketball, baseball they have the athletes).

Totally agree with you TR. 2009 was a very special year for many SJS teams. Same year PG took Folsom to the wire in a 27-26 OT lose. That was the year they had NFL'ers WR Jalen Saunders aka "Liquid" and DT Arik Armstead. The same year they were projected to win the SJS championship until they lost two critical 2-way starters FS/Flanker Josh Adam and MLB/FB Sedrick Allen in their first game against Lincoln (Stockton). The SJS has so much talent they sent three players into the 2014 NFL draft first round in wide receiver Brandin Cooks (Lincoln of Stockton), cornerback Jason Verrett (Rodriquez of Fairfield), and strong safety Deone Bucannon (Vanden of Fairfield). The very next year two SJS players went in the 2015 NFL draft first round in Defensive Tackle Arik Armstead (Pleasant Grove of Elk Grove), and Linebacker Shaq Thompson (Grant Union of Del Paso Heights). In my opinion, the SJS has more raw talent than any other section in the state.

CT4L
...and there was some kid out of Stanford that went in the 2015 draft 2nd Rd from Folsom (Jordan Richards) to the Patriots. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT