ADVERTISEMENT

Serra vs St Francis for CCS Div I Championship

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
Some interesting posts re: Serra vs SF and the Padres chances of winning the rematch.
I've had some thoughts regarding the rematch, but will attempt to stick to facts

In the last several years when WCAL opponents have met for the 2nd time in playoffs, the winner of the first meeting was the winner of the 2nd meeting and in most cases the scores were similar to the first meeting - ie: the WCAL if nothing else is very consistent.

In SF's 3 toughest contests their adversaries of DLS, Serra & Aptos - none were able to stop the SF run game of minimum 3-4-5- yards per carry or more.

Vs Serra the SF RB Teu "Ju ju" broke the school record for rushing yards with 344 in a single game. Vs Aptos the 2 SF RB's who are both downhill RB's helped break the 29-year old school record for yards rushing in a single game with 438 yards on 40 carries [sounds like 10+ yards per carry to me]. Of more importance the DLS game in which DLS with a couple of excellent RB's avg 5.5 yards per carry while SF avg over 7.0 yards per carry.

Conclusion: What it comes down to is no opponent this season has been able to slow down the 2 bruising SF RB's behind their massive O-line [and oh yes its quite large BTW]. One other item - did anyone realize that in the De La Salle game the Lancers went with their back-up QB Dougherty? Not sure the issue, but stats show that as his only full game as the Lancer QB this season. On the other hand Serra had difficulty running vs the SF D-line which isn't encouraging for a 2nd meeting. All things said this looks to be a rerun of the first game with SF coming out on top by 2-3 scores as the Padres on paper do not match up well with the Lancers. SF 41-27

Last edited:
Some interesting posts re: Serra vs SF and the Padres chances of winning the rematch.
I've had some thoughts regarding the rematch, but will attempt to stick to facts

In the last several years when WCAL opponents have met for the 2nd time in playoffs, the winner of the first meeting was the winner of the 2nd meeting and in most cases the scores were similar to the first meeting - ie: the WCAL if nothing else is very consistent.

In SF's 3 toughest contests their adversaries of DLS, Serra & Aptos - none were able to stop the SF run game of minimum 3-4-5- yards per carry or more.

Vs Serra the SF RB Teu "Ju ju" broke the school record for rushing yards with 344 in a single game. Vs Aptos the 2 SF RB's who are both downhill RB's helped break the 29-year old school record for yards rushing in a single game with 438 yards on 40 carries [sounds like 10+ yards per carry to me]. Of more importance the DLS game in which DLS with a couple of excellent RB's avg 5.5 yards per carry while SF avg over 7.0 yards per carry.

Conclusion: What it comes down to is no opponent this season has been able to slow down the 2 bruising SF RB's behind their massive O-line [and oh yes its quite large BTW]. One other item - did anyone realize that in the De La Salle game the Lancers went with their 2nd string QB Dougherty? Not sure the issue, but stats show that as his only full game as the Lancer QB this season. On the other hand Serra had difficulty running vs the SF D-line which isn't encouraging for a 2nd meeting. All things said this looks to be a rerun of the first game with SF coming out on top by 2-3 scores as the Padres on paper do not match up well with the Lancers. SF 41-27
Padres will pull it off, 2nd time is a charm. 31-28

Reactions: remc

Conclusion: What it comes down to is no opponent this season has been able to slow down the 2 bruising SF RB's behind their massive O-line [and oh yes its quite large BTW]. One other item - did anyone realize that in the De La Salle game the Lancers went with their 2nd string QB Dougherty? Not sure the issue, but stats show that as his only full game as the Lancer QB this season. On the other hand Serra had difficulty running vs the SF D-line which isn't encouraging for a 2nd meeting. All things said this looks to be a rerun of the first game with SF coming out on top by 2-3 scores as the Padres on paper do not match up well with the Lancers. SF 41-27
For the first half of the season or longer the Lances were rotating each QB every other series. I really like Dougherty. He’s a junior and will be back next year

I’m not sure if Dougherty got hurt or if they finally decided on Perry as their starter

For the first half of the season or longer the Lances were rotating each QB every other series. I really like Dougherty. He’s a junior and will be back next year

I’m not sure if Dougherty got hurt or if they finally decided on Perry as their starter
I was looking at SF's stats for the season which unless not accurate show Dougherty as the starter for 2 games and Perry for all other games. SF averages only about 10 pass attempts per game completing just over 55%. of the Lancer QB's 60 pass completions they have just 1 INT. If a team could force the Lancers to pass it would improve their odds greatly, however that would mean containing their run game - easier said than done.
As good as Perry has been as QB directing the Lancer offense it was Dougherty who engineered the huge win over DLS. Looks like SF is in good hands with either of the 2 QB's they're lucky to have.

Here's a 5 min. clip of the SF win over DLS with Doherty looking very good passing against the Spartans.

Reactions: aztecpadre
I read in the paper that SF ran and threw all over the Menlo school last Friday. Maybe they were keeping passing game under wraps for the playoffs?

Reactions: Adam007
As much as I am rooting for SF to finish the deal, beating a Patrick Walsh team twice in a season is a tall task. If I am Serra, I am watching how Aptos and Menlo Atherton got off to fast starts against SF. Whatever the Padres did in the first game, I’m shaking up that game plan. Seems like SF can be gashed in the air for big plays at times. If I am SF, I am probably looking how to get Arquette involved And likely not expecting Teu to set another school record. I honestly feel like SF has an ace up your sleeve in their passing game. We have seen glimpses of it when they run their two minute trail or when they had to come back against de la Salle, but they’re passing game is pretty potent when they need it. I’m curious what kind of packages they will utilize in the second match up.

even though I know what the outcome will be, I am so hopefully anxious about a Mater Dei versus SF matchup. Going to the open will be so historic for the WCAL and I think it’s good for football overall to get someone new in there other than DLS. I’m hoping that the success this SF team is having will eventually open doors to larger matchups pitting WCAL teams versus more southern California powers, out of state teams and so on.

Reactions: remc and ararar
As much as I am rooting for SF to finish the deal, beating a Patrick Walsh team twice in a season is a tall task. If I am Serra, I am watching how Aptos and Menlo Atherton got off to fast starts against SF. Whatever the Padres did in the first game, I’m shaking up that game plan. Seems like SF can be gashed in the air for big plays at times. If I am SF, I am probably looking how to get Arquette involved And likely not expecting Teu to set another school record. I honestly feel like SF has an ace up your sleeve in their passing game. We have seen glimpses of it when they run their two minute trail or when they had to come back against de la Salle, but they’re passing game is pretty potent when they need it. I’m curious what kind of packages they will utilize in the second match up.

even though I know what the outcome will be, I am so hopefully anxious about a Mater Dei versus SF matchup. Going to the open will be so historic for the WCAL and I think it’s good for football overall to get someone new in there other than DLS. I’m hoping that the success this SF team is having will eventually open doors to larger matchups pitting WCAL teams versus more southern California powers, out of state teams and so on.
Mater Dei would win by 42 points, not a matchup anyone would want to see. MD has elite D1 WR’s that would be impossible to contain.

As much as I am rooting for SF to finish the deal, beating a Patrick Walsh team twice in a season is a tall task. If I am Serra, I am watching how Aptos and Menlo Atherton got off to fast starts against SF.
Unless Serra decides to run the Wing-T for this game, I don't think watching Aptos is going to do anything for them.

Matthew Dougherty became the First Team QB during the De La Salle, after the DLS he came up with an injury and was lost for the season the week of the Valley Christian game, this is why Aaron Knapp was promoted to the Varsity that week.

Matthew Dougherty has been on the St. Francis sideline each game this season, after the De La Salle Game.

Since Matthew Dougherty was out injured for the St. Ignatius, Josh Perry became the First team QB by default.

Josh Perry has led the team to a WCAL Championship and to the CCS Division 1 Championship, passing when it was needed by the St. Francis team. There are more than a few Viliami Teu runs, right after a completed pass that went for 20 or more yards.

Josh Perry did play vs. both Oak Grove and De La Salle, switching each series with Matthew Dougherty, until Matthew Dougherty won the job during the De La Salle Game. Josh did not complete a pass vs. Oak Grove, he did not attempt a pass vs. De La Salle.

Josh Perry had completed passes in the 2020 season played in March and April 2021.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Matthew Dougherty became the First Team QB during the De La Salle, after the DLS he came up with an injury and was lost for the season the week of the Valley Christian game, this is why Aaron Knapp was promoted to the Varsity that week.

Matthew Dougherty has been on the St. Francis sideline each game this season, after the De La Salle Game.

Since Matthew Dougherty was out injured for the St. Ignatius, Josh Perry became the First team QB by default.

Josh Perry has led the team to a WCAL Championship and to the CCS Division 1 Championship, passing when it was needed by the St. Francis team. There are more than a few Viliami Teu runs, right after a completed pass that went for 20 or more yards.

Josh Perry did play vs. both Oak Grove and De La Salle, switching each series with Matthew Dougherty, until Matthew Dougherty won the job during the De La Salle Game. Josh did not complete a pass vs. Oak Grove, he did not attempt a pass vs. De La Salle.

Josh Perry had completed passes in the 2020 season played in March and April 2021.
You’re an awesome encyclopaedia! We’re you doing Stats for SF

Reactions: concrete17
So simple question as to SF’s massive O-Line opening holes for their RB’s you could drive a mack truck thru.
While SF is the consummate heavy fav in this game do the underdog Padres have even a slim chance of victory in this anticipated rematch?
With SF a 2-3 score fav what game plan will Coach Walsh devise for Serra?
All good questions and maybe as simple as Serra’s run game & play calling. Since the Lancers are a run heavy team it becomes a game of “keep away” and who can have the most possession time.
I believe Serra to have any chance must devise a game plan based on: 1) stacking the box on D possibly using an extra LB (?) as SF only passes avg 10 times per game & uses 1-2 primary WR’s & Serra to blitz on obvious passing downs. 2) Serra must be able to run & control possession & therefore use counter plays, run options & whatever is in Walsh’s trick playbook. Stick to short high percentage pass plays rather than long bombs into multiple coverage.
The one obvious thought being Serra cannot come in with same game plan as last meeting.
I know - if only it were that simple. What I do think is SF will come in with their same game plan they’ve used entire season as they’re undefeated. Coach Walsh has been a bit of gambler in past & this game I think he’ll be goin’ all in for the upset.
Be prepared fans!

Reactions: MC415
At least on paper (and after watching the debacle earlier this month in San Mateo), Serra's Number One task seems quite clear: Calm down that Lancers' running game. If the Padres permit the SF RBs to plow up and down the field again, forget about it. We'll say it one more time: All indications are that the only thing that can defeat the Lancers in this matchup are the Lancers themselves. Turnovers, bonehead decisions, key penalties, lousy punts, etc. might do it for the Padres. We'll see.

At least on paper (and after watching the debacle earlier this month in San Mateo), Serra's Number One task seems quite clear: Calm down that Lancers' running game. If the Padres permit the SF RBs to plow up and down the field again, forget about it. We'll say it one more time: All indications are that the only thing that can defeat the Lancers in this matchup are the Lancers themselves. Turnovers, bonehead decisions, key penalties, lousy punts, etc. might do it for the Padres. We'll see.
A key point I neglected to mention as in turnovers/penalties such as the 5 turnovers in the VC game 2 weeks ago [will be lights out vs the Lancers if this happens]. For Serra to win QB Lampkin will need his "A" game with no INT's and both he and RB's securing the ball. Serra will need to slow down Lancers' run game early to maintain any control of possession time. If the Lancer RB's are gashing Serra's D for 4-5-6 yards every play and breaking into the secondary it will be another long day for the Padres. When SF controls possession their massive line wears out the opposing D in the 2nd 1/2 as has happened all season long.

SF offensive line will be too much again for Serra to handle.
Agreed, unless they totally sell out against the run, and play strict man to man pass defense. And even then I still like SF. Serra has some athletes on the perimeter, but I think selling out to stop the run and playing man in the secondary is their best chance.Serra's offense needs to show up in a big way too. But when you can't control the LOS........

Will the Padres have their best coverage DB on SF's Andrew Adkison? Last game he got loose for 2 TD's incl one wide open and had over 100 yards in receptions - their "go to" WR.

I didn't watch the blowout Serra loss to SF three weeks ago but I have seen some livestreams of the Padres this season. I noticed how comparatively small they are on the defensive line. I wondered if they might flip one of those big OL to defense for last night's game and I think maybe that was the case. Was this the biggest upset victory in Serra football history?

I didn't watch the blowout Serra loss to SF three weeks ago but I have seen some livestreams of the Padres this season. I noticed how comparatively small they are on the defensive line. I wondered if they might flip one of those big OL to defense for last night's game and I think maybe that was the case. Was this the biggest upset victory in Serra football history?

I think Serra showed up and exposed SF as a one trick pony. I watched the live stream and the SF running game was no where to be found, seemed like SF had no plan on offense when they couldn't run the ball.

Did SF have a bunch of seniors on their team?

Serra was clearly the better team last night.

Reactions: THEOC89
You are correct. Walsh used an extra 300-pound tackle on the DL, depending on down, distance, yard line, etc. It worked. In fact, the Serra defense played its best game of the season overall. The final score might have been a bit deceptive. The Padres had a 65-yard TD on a fumble recovery called back. The refs said the SF ball carrier's knee was down when he fumbled. We had a good look at the play. Let's just say the call was highly debatable. The crowd was immense, far too many folks for the Westmont venue. The estimate ranged from 7,000 to more than 8,000. It was SRO around the entire sunken field. The parking lot, scene of a shooting incident late in the game, was packed; so was the surrounding neighborhood. The men's crapper had a grand total of five toilets. The snack shack was overwhelmed too. The line to get into the 7 p.m. contest was so long many customers didn't even see the first quarter. All in all, the evening was rather chaotic and confused. But, in the end, Serra rose to the occasion with an outstanding performance, certainly one of the best during Walsh's long tenure on West 20th Avenue. Oh, and by the way, it's a crying shame that the Lancers don't move on. They now stay home after a standout 2021 season which saw them overcome DLS and rout Serra earlier this month for the WCAL crown. They deserve some measure of congratulation as their memorable campaign came to a stark conclusion.

Last edited:
Yup I was at westmont and we got in line which was the longest line I ever been in for anything and we got in line at 6:40pm and didn’t get into the stadium till Exaclty the end of the 1st quarter it was insane, they only had one gate entry………they also had the parking closed except for one entrance and no parking ushers so people getting to the end not finding a spot and having to perform an 18 point turn to turnaround……I saw one police officer at the entrance and maybe 2-3 security people there besides that nothing……..we stood on the fence on the Serra side and the young kids were smoking weed the entire game and concealed White Claws no one was there to enforce any kind of order I was sitting there with my 2 year old getting a strong whiff of the Chronic

btw had no clue Westmont had such a big stadium didn’t even know they had a football team

You are correct. Walsh used an extra 300-pound tackle on the DL, depending on down, distance, yard line, etc. It worked. In fact, the Serra defense played its best game of the season overall. The final score might have been a bit deceptive. The Padres had a 65-yard TD on a fumble recovery called back. The refs said the SF ball carrier's knee was down when he fumbled. We had a good look at the play. Let's just say the call was highly debatable. The crowd was immense, far too many folks for the Westmont venue. The estimate ranged from 7,000 to more than 8,000. It was SRO around the entire sunken field. The parking lot, scene of a shooting incident late in the game, was packed; so was the surrounding neighborhood. The men's crapper had a grand total of five toilets. The snack shack was overwhelmed too. The line to get into the 7 p.m. contest was so long many customers didn't even see the first quarter. All in all, the evening was rather chaotic and confused. But, in the end, Serra rose to the occasion with an outstanding performance, certainly one of the best under Walsh's tenure on West 20th Avenue. Oh, and by the way, it's a crying shame that the Lancers don't move on. They now stay home after a standout 2021 season which saw them overcome DLS and rout Serra earlier this month for the WCAL crown.

That sounds crazy! CCS should rethink where and how these games are being played.

It didn't seem like SF made any adjustments to what Serra was doing on defense.

That sounds crazy! CCS should rethink where and how these games are being played.

Actually, the Lancers did adjust. They threw the ball a bit more, not a lot but more. SF did not play poorly, although two shanked PATs were a surprise. Serra was simply better. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

SF should have made adjustments. But if I could speculate, I believe everyone on the SF side believed that their power run would finally work in the 4thQ. After all, it has worked that way all season. The mistake - the unforgivable error, was to under-estimate Walsh's coaching team.

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc
Actually, the Lancers did adjust. They threw the ball a bit more, not a lot but more. SF did not play poorly, although two shanked PATs were a surprise. Serra was simply better. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.
It seemed more like a desperation move than an adjustment.

How good are the Serra DB's? Seems like Serra played man coverage all night.

Regarding the Westmont HS facility, it would have been OK if, say, 4,000 fans had shown up to view the CCS D1 affair. But the Serra vs. SF matchup was so enticing the place was bursting at the seams. There were so many Lancers' followers in attendance they spilled over onto the Serra side big-time. Quite a night there in the quiet suburb off the Lawrence Expressway (a modest two-lane road by the time it gets to the high school turnoff). As an addendum to the festivities, once the game was over and the police cars swarmed the premises, a law enforcement helicopter hovered over the surreal scene making the entire tableau something right out of "Apocalypse Now Redux." Stranger things indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: aztecpadre
I just spoke to a friend of mine from SF that was at the game last night. He said the SF fans were tailgating and drinking in the parking lot earlier in the day and that the shooting happened in that same parking lot. Lack of security and overcrowding the venue seems to be the issue. I thought drinking was not allowed at high school games or does that only apply to the public schools? My buddy said the SF parents and fans made the parking lot look like the old candlestick park type of tailgating.

Reactions: FBAddict
You are correct. Walsh used an extra 300-pound tackle on the DL, depending on down, distance, yard line, etc. It worked. In fact, the Serra defense played its best game of the season overall. The final score might have been a bit deceptive. The Padres had a 65-yard TD on a fumble recovery called back. The refs said the SF ball carrier's knee was down when he fumbled. We had a good look at the play. Let's just say the call was highly debatable. The crowd was immense, far too many folks for the Westmont venue. The estimate ranged from 7,000 to more than 8,000. It was SRO around the entire sunken field. The parking lot, scene of a shooting incident late in the game, was packed; so was the surrounding neighborhood. The men's crapper had a grand total of five toilets. The snack shack was overwhelmed too. The line to get into the 7 p.m. contest was so long many customers didn't even see the first quarter. All in all, the evening was rather chaotic and confused. But, in the end, Serra rose to the occasion with an outstanding performance, certainly one of the best during Walsh's long tenure on West 20th Avenue. Oh, and by the way, it's a crying shame that the Lancers don't move on. They now stay home after a standout 2021 season which saw them overcome DLS and rout Serra earlier this month for the WCAL crown. They deserve some measure of congratulation as their memorable campaign came to a stark conclusion.

Serra clearly has the edge in coaching.

I just spoke to a friend of mine from SF that was at the game last night. He said the SF fans were tailgating and drinking in the parking lot earlier in the day and that the shooting happened in that same parking lot. Lack of security and overcrowding the venue seems to be the issue. I thought drinking was not allowed at high school games or does that only apply to the public schools? My buddy said the SF parents and fans made the parking lot look like the old candlestick park type of tailgating.
All true. Security was inadequate at Westmont last night. In fact, we were all lucky things weren't even more dicey as the evening wore on.

I’ve actually been curious all year, how good were SF receivers? When you can play
downhill and are one dimensional it usually catches up with you at some point.

I didn’t see the game at all, I watched the MD/Servite game instead. Sounds like SF couldn’t run last night and the predictable happened? I’m guessing Serra sold out to stop the run and said beat us through the air.

Here are some game stats provided by today's SM Daily Journal: SF gained a total of 214 yards of offense; Serra had just 198. It was an old-fashioned CAL/WCAL slugfest. We will say it one more time: It's unfortunate that the Lancers now stay home as the NorCal bowl games loom. They are clearly one of the very best teams in this half of the Golden State. Serra was just a bit better Friday night.

Going into this game I felt Serra had to sell out to stop the run and play man coverage in pass defense. Surprised SF didn't pass more. Looks like they were counting on wearing down Serra's defensive front and dominating with their run game in Q4. I think SF got a little too conservative. Also should have called another QB bootleg or two. They didn't do enough to keep the Serra defense honest

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT