ADVERTISEMENT

SFL best league in NorCal

Let's hope for some SFL - WCAL matchups in the regional games. That way the fans from their respective leagues have bragging rights for the year.
SFL, IMO, will continue to be very good as quite frankly, many SF Bay Area families have settled in the Sac area because of jobs/housing availability/affordability. I personally know of at least a dozen friends who are SF WCAL High Grads who now reside in the area and their kids play football for various SFL teams. Just stating fact.
Which WCAL teams would beat Folsom?

The SFL is insane guys. Aren't they 10-0 right now in the playoffs?
Folsom- 28 game winning streak. Something obscene record like 56-2 in the last 4 years with both losses to DLS.
Oak Ridge- 2 losses with one to nationally ranked folsom and the other 2 the #2 ranked team in Nevada.
Granite Bay- Beats Grant HS who was a top Norcal team coming into that game.
Del Oro- enough said. Barely makes the playoffs and is in the semi's against Granite Bay.
Rocklin- Just smoked a 9 win Del Campo squad by 5 TD's.
Hell wood creek would win a lot of leagues around norcal.

Its not an argument this year guys. No way. WCAL. Please.

Reactions: RodneyPete45
Statement of SFL is the best case closed show the ignorance in the valley for discussion.

I get that, but it just illustrates the level of inability to understand that their league might be what others think it to be. I get that one may think it is the best, but again who do others who rank s these league don't agree?

I took a look at the rankings this AM and just because these great posters posted, it did not change....I think they found SFL at 7th.

WOW....

Statement of SFL is the best case closed show the ignorance in the valley for discussion.

I get that, but it just illustrates the level of inability to understand that their league might be what others think it to be. I get that one may think it is the best, but again who do others who rank s these league don't agree?

I took a look at the rankings this AM and just because these great posters posted, it did not change....I think they found SFL at 7th.

WOW....

Too much booze on a Sunday morning is bad for your health Gael. Someone come save this guy!

We would all love for you to explain your argument. So far- zero substantive posts backing your theory. Many posters have backed the SFL. Awaiting yours.

Last edited:
With some of the logic being used in the this thread, the Diablo Valley League is better than the SFL based on CVC one point loss vs Folsom.
That's a great point,though I still think SFL is the top league.But if you're going to bring up Bellarmine squeaking by Del Oreo,you'd also better mention Folsom squeaking out an even closer 1 point win over a D2 NCS school.And while the SFL and WCAL are the 2 best in Normal,the EBAL and BVAL are pretty good also

Folsom still has to get through St Mary's and winner of Elk Grove/Oak Ridge. Elk Grove from Delta looks like it could be really good and shouldn't be discounted. Bellarmine WCAL will probably face aaa tough Milpitas. If all goes with the projections you might just see a a WCAL / SFL game.

Because Bellarmine only defeated DelOro in close game doesn't guarantee Folsom wins big by virtue of bigger margin of victory. Match ups come into play and both programs have been in big games. Serra WCAL only lost to DeLaSalle
by 17 which lost to Bells by 8. DelOro Lost to DLS 41-3. Does this mean Bells should have won by much larger margin? They won and all that matters.

Clayton Valley which defeated in close game a Monte Vista which was defeated by 20 by Pittsburg. Is Pittsburg better than Folsom?

So why does CAl-Hi state the WCAL is is the 3-4 best league in CA. with 2-3 in SoCAL.

Antidotal observations are great and I am glad when people moved out to the Valley, they have assumed the Valley fever, but stats don't lie and Ranking systems take out the location of the messenger...

We Are One....We R Crusaders...We be the WCAL
The computer is horrible for HS comparison and only as good as who is giving it data input. You are obviously still living in the 80's if you think the WCAL is still the best football league. I'm an EBAL fan and think the best football and baseball talent is in the Sac Joaquin North area. It's simple demographics.

Folsom still has to get through St Mary's and winner of Elk Grove/Oak Ridge. Elk Grove from Delta looks like it could be really good and shouldn't be discounted. Bellarmine WCAL will probably face aaa tough Milpitas. If all goes with the projections you might just see a a WCAL / SFL game.

Because Bellarmine only defeated DelOro in close game doesn't guarantee Folsom wins big by virtue of bigger margin of victory. Match ups come into play and both programs have been in big games. Serra WCAL only lost to DeLaSalle
by 17 which lost to Bells by 8. DelOro Lost to DLS 41-3. Does this mean Bells should have won by much larger margin? They won and all that matters.

Clayton Valley which defeated in close game a Monte Vista which was defeated by 20 by Pittsburg. Is Pittsburg better than Folsom?
Agreed. But I think Larry Legend said it best when it comes to the completeness of the SFL, from top to bottom. Look at how all those teams are doing in the playoffs. Its insane!

Calprep ratings this season to date:
WCAL has 8 teams (38.6 average)
SFL has 7 teams (42.7 average)

Using Calprep ratings for match-ups:
WCAL vs SFL would have a 22-27 record this year to date.
SFL vs WCAL would have a 32-24 record this year to date.

Just another view based on data regarding both leagues.

BTW, in my opinion both leagues are very good. Settling it on the field is what counts only, if the opportunities can happen in a few weeks. Computers and Mark Tennis opinion means very little.

Funny, but as I left the Grant Union-Granite Bay game last night -- I actually expected to see a thread like this. :)

I think everyone can agree that the WCAL and SFL are both tremendous leagues. In the past 7-8 years, both have consistently been among the top 2-3 leagues in all of NorCal (along with the EBAL and the defunct DRL) and top 10 in the entire State. There have seen several seasons when either or both have been in the top 3.

In a given season, one may be a bit deeper than the other. But both are supremely tough. I'm obviously an SFL guy, but I have the utmost respect for the WCAL.

A couple things to consider. The WCAL has been a top league for a longer, much more consistent period of time. However, the SFL is a public league and the fact that it's even in contention with an all-private catholic league says a lot. There are some really good public leagues in SoCal, but none of them rival the all-private catholic Trinity League. Not even close.

The most important thing is, both the WCAL and SFL are as good as any league in CA, generally speaking, sans the Trinity. And that's pretty damn good.

I see a lot of references to the Bellarmine @ Del Oro game earlier this year. Regardless of DO's record or where they finished in the SFL I still think it was a great road win for the Bells even if it wasn't pretty. San Jose to Loomis is a lengthy bus ride in 105+ degree heat, several schools postponed their games that day. I doubt a private school like the Bells are riding a old yellow school bus who no AC with all their resources but still not a short trip. My point doesn't settle the argument of which is the better league but I'd disagree that you can point at that game and say it really means much as far as margin of victory between the two leagues.

I see a lot of references to the Bellarmine @ Del Oro game earlier this year. Regardless of DO's record or where they finished in the SFL I still think it was a great road win for the Bells even if it wasn't pretty. San Jose to Loomis is a lengthy bus ride in 105+ degree heat, several schools postponed their games that day. I doubt a private school like the Bells are riding a old yellow school bus who no AC with all their resources but still not a short trip. My point doesn't settle the argument of which is the better league but I'd disagree that you can point at that game and say it really means much as far as margin of victory between the two leagues.
All valid points. It must also be stated that Del Oro is a 4th place team in the SFL. The Bells are the best team in the WCAL. I think that is the most valid point of all. But I agree that was a solid win by the Bells, despite being sort of a "mini miracle." A win is a win.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
San Jose to Loomis is a lengthy bus ride in 105+ degree heat, several schools postponed their games that day. I doubt a private school like the Bells are riding a old yellow school bus who no AC with all their resources but still not a short trip.

I don't buy into the length of the trip thing. Besides, a trip to SJ is much shorter than the one these kids have been making down to Carson the past 10 years.

Del Oro had to travel to San Jose to face Serra in the playoffs a couple years ago. They had to go to Berkley to play Punahou. Travel is part of the game, especially for the top tier programs that often travel far out of their area for better games.

Fresno, LA, SD, Redding. This is par for the course nowadays. I don't think it's a big deal.

As I said earlier, both leagues are great. The SFL has probably been better than past couple of seasons. The WCAL has been better in others.

At this point, it's kind of like arguing over who is hotter -- Scarlett Johansson or Jennifer Love Hewitt. You can't go wrong with either answer.

Reactions: bella123
Let's hope for some SFL - WCAL matchups in the regional games. That way the fans from their respective leagues have bragging rights for the year.
SFL, IMO, will continue to be very good as quite frankly, many SF Bay Area families have settled in the Sac area because of jobs/housing availability/affordability. I personally know of at least a dozen friends who are SF WCAL High Grads who now reside in the area and their kids play football for various SFL teams. Just stating fact.
Where the kids come from is not the point at the end of the day. What does matter is that the SFL is the strongest league/division in Nor-Cal. The WCAL teams are good but on a yearly basis the SFL teams are normally better. That's why the SFL leads in Regional play against the WCAL.

wcal has been able to keep games closer against DLS relative to SFL. I would go with the DLS test. LOL

wcal has been able to keep games closer against DLS relative to SFL. I would go with the DLS test. LOL
How about this test- which WCAL team would beat Folsom? I have put this question out there multiple times today. Still haven't received an answer.

I don't buy into the length of the trip thing. Besides, a trip to SJ is much shorter than the one these kids have been making down to Carson the past 10 years.

Del Oro had to travel to San Jose to face Serra in the playoffs a couple years ago. They had to go to Berkley to play Punahou. Travel is part of the game, especially for the top tier programs that often travel far out of their area for better games.

Fresno, LA, SD, Redding. This is par for the course nowadays. I don't think it's a big deal.

As I said earlier, both leagues are great. The SFL has probably been better than past couple of seasons. The WCAL has been better in others.

At this point, it's kind of like arguing over who is hotter -- Scarlett Johansson or Jennifer Love Hewitt. You can't go wrong with either answer.[/QUOTE

+1.

Arguing abut something the can never be proven unles you line up 1-7 in both leagues and they all play. Other than that it's pure opionin and speculation usually hinged by a one or two game sample and a ton of diary chains!

Just reminds me of SEC banter (minus Bama and Aubbie fans who are real). Who roots (front for a a whole league? Support your team and root against your rivals. Doesn't matter who Bellarmine is playing, a real St. Francis fan would never root for them, same as a DO fan rooting for GB! It keeps things healthy in life lol.

Last edited:
How about this test- which WCAL team would beat Folsom? I have put this question out there multiple times today. Still haven't received an answer.
Bellarmine, St. Francis, Serra and Valley Christian would be formidable opponents to Folsom. This year's Riordan squad could possibly compete too.

The argument that Folsom would beat every WCAL school doesnt mean the SFL is better. That is a terrible argument. I dont think any of the them would beat Folsom but that doesnt make the whole league better. You continue to point to the DO/Bells game. Bells barely beat DO who is the 4th place team in SFL. Bells was the co champ of WCAL. The WCAL #6 team beat Bells so does that mean the WCAL 6th place team would beat your 4th place team?

Fun thread, but impossible topic to get a concrete answer on. Pointing to single game results are meaningless. As has been said on this board, it is all about matchups in the present time.

I would say the SFL and WCAL have separated themselves as the top leagues in NorCal with the SFL as the best. However, that is just an opinion that can be argued against.

Who on here is arguing that the WCAL is better than the SFL, just one guy, the Riordan guy. Geeze, pipe down fellas, you're over their thumping your chests over a bunch of kids in shoulder pads that live out in the Valley, take it easy.

Top WCAL teams would probably play Folsom as good as Granite Bay.WCAL teams play good defense see DLS scores compared to Ebal and SFL. Not like Folsom dominated Granite Bay and Not like Granite Bay dominated DelOro. Again all about matchups and WCal defenses and speed at the top probably match up well. Wcal offenses at top have good control offenses with playmakers as well. Looks like in my opinion that the games would be some good ones.

Hey everyone...CAL-Hi listed the WCAL at the 3rd best team in CA. I stated that and the Valley posted wanted antidote proof.

I should have answered...,call CAL-Hi rankings?

I have not seen Flosom, so I can't give an antidote example of who they would beat.

How about we all agree that what ever league is most represented in the State Match ups with SoCal wins this race.

You can't give excuses..."play to stay". Otherwise you have to own your league. Honestly I predict 3 WCAL teams playing in the State Games. How many will SFL have?

If Flosom is there good for them....but that only counts as one...I still don't see them there? No way the get by De La?

Arguing abut something the can never be proven unles you line up 1-7 in both leagues and they all play. Other than that it's pure opinion and speculation usually hinged by one or two game sample and a ton of horrible daisy chains!

Just reminds me of SEC banter (minus Bama and Aubbie fans who are real). Who roots for a whole league? Support your team and root against your rivals. Doesn't matter who Bellarmine is playing, a real St. Francis fan would never root for them, same as a DO fan rooting for GB! It keeps things healthy in life lol

The argument that Folsom would beat every WCAL school doesnt mean the SFL is better. That is a terrible argument. I dont think any of the them would beat Folsom but that doesnt make the whole league better. You continue to point to the DO/Bells game. Bells barely beat DO who is the 4th place team in SFL. Bells was the co champ of WCAL. The WCAL #6 team beat Bells so does that mean the WCAL 6th place team would beat your 4th place team?
If the topic is the best league in NorCal I don't think a good measuring stick is your best team beat our 4th best by a small margin. If it's the best league in NorCal by detention the quality of teams is deep and that means the 4th place team has gotta be a good team. #6 team beating the #1 also goes to show the depth of the league. All this tells me is the SFL and WCAL are both crazy deep with talent. I do think Folsom would run the table on both.

I'd put my money on wcal in matchups down the line this year. Just because GB beat Grant doesn't mean jack for comparing to other sections. SFL is a good league but they are a little full of themselves. There's four teams in wcal this year that could give Folsom all they could handle, and all Clayton Valley in NCS could handle. .

Last edited:
If Flosom would run the table, they will be in the State Game.

But the question is "what is the best league in NorCal"

It seems like every poster from the Valley is going with their strong horse. Congrats...you have a great team. But that does not make a league...

I am cheering for any SFL team to make section championships to actually see the proof of the pudding. Otherwise, all u am going to here is about how great Flosom is and how they could wipe the floor. I sure hope they care of business in their section and don't slip in the green grass of SpartanNation.

If the topic is the best league in NorCal I don't think a good measuring stick is your best team beat our 4th best by a small margin. If it's the best league in NorCal by detention the quality of teams is deep and that means the 4th place team has gotta be a good team. #6 team beating the #1 also goes to show the depth of the league.

I would think the fact that SFL #4 team couldnt beat WCAL #1 team but the WCAL #6 team could beat the WCAL #1 team would show that the WCAL could potentially be better. It doesnt prove that the WCAL has better top teams but it does hold the argument that from top to bottom the WCAL is stronger.

Reactions: RiordanGael
I'm a metro guy so I got no dog in the fight. But I have seen most of the teams play from both leagues, multiple times.

I'm a huge fan of Oak Ridge. I have enjoyed watching them the most this year. SFL is superior to the WCAL and I don't really think it's close.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
I'd put my money on wcal in matchups down the line this year. Just because GB beat Grant doesn't mean jack for comparing to other sections. SFL is a good league but they are a little full of themselves. There's four teams in wcal this year that could give Folsom all they could handle, and all Clayton Valley in NCS could handle. .
The SFL is not a good league. It is a great league. If you haven't seen these teams play, I encourage you too. I made the drive up from West Sacramento many times this year just to see it myself. I am sold.

Everyone gets a trophy mentality.

This is rich. Exactly what is the SJS D-II bracket about this year? A bunch of second-place and lower teams not only getting a chance at a sectional championship, but a state title.

The only thing that the SFL has proven is that it's the best league in the SJS. Maybe it just means it was a down year overall for the section. You've got a semifinalist in D-I that lost to a team that got handled easily in the first round of CCS D-II (actually, that team lost to two WCAL teams).

Also, asking who in the WCAL could beat Folsom as if it means anything is the same as asking who in either the WCAL or the SFL could be Corona Centennial this year. Probably no one, but that doesn't make the Big VIII better overall than either of the NorCal leagues.

I'm a metro guy so I got no dog in the fight. But I have seen most of the teams play from both leagues, multiple times.

I'm a huge fan of Oak Ridge. I have enjoyed watching them the most this year. SFL is superior to the WCAL and I don't really think it's close.

Based upon what? Because you have seen most of the teams play? Are you some kind of expert? I find it funny that someone who has seen all these team play barely created an account a couple weeks ago. G61 is that you? lol

I really dont think you can say one is better then the other unless they were all to matchup. To say the SFL is superior and its not close just shows that you havent seen enough WCAL play.

This is rich. Exactly what is the SJS D-II bracket about this year? A bunch of second-place and lower teams not only getting a chance at a sectional championship, but a state title.

The only thing that the SFL has proven is that it's the best league in the SJS. Maybe it just means it was a down year overall for the section. You've got a semifinalist in D-I that lost to a team that got handled easily in the first round of CCS D-II (actually, that team lost to two WCAL teams).

Also, asking who in the WCAL could beat Folsom as if it means anything is the same as asking who in either the WCAL or the SFL could be Corona Centennial this year. Probably no one, but that doesn't make the Big VIII better overall than either of the NorCal leagues.
The section seems to be fairing very well so far. Only time will tell.

There seem to be some very negative sentiments on this board. I apologize if I offended anyone. I am just offering my opinion.

There seem to be some very negative sentiments on this board. I apologize if I offended anyone. I am just offering my opinion.

I don't think anything you've written here has been offensive. I find the question about "who could beat Folsom" a little illogical, but definitely not offensive. This board would be a lot weaker without people like yourself.

I don't think anything you've written here has been offensive. I find the question about "who could beat Folsom" a little illogical, but definitely not offensive. This board would be a lot weaker without people like yourself.
I just use that since they have been at the top of the SFL. I am more personally interested in the success of Oak Ridge and GB in the playoffs. I am really excited to bring the fam bam to the Elk Grove game next Friday.

God bless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT