ADVERTISEMENT

SFL - Friday Night Week 2

Santa Ball

Sports Fanatic
Dec 7, 2017
Here’s a quick recap of week 1 action in league play.

Folsom at Oak Ridge - Folsom Wins 36-33

• It took 4 qtrs, the legs of Ngata and the immaculate reception by Badger to put down this Oak Ridge team
  • Tested early, and late the dogs show no panic in this competitive match up
Granite Bay at D.O. -Del Oro Wins 28-10
  • D.O. O-Line and ground game with Conde comes up big
  • Key pick six by lunders defense adds to the one sided affair
Rocklin at Whitney- Rocklin Wins 27-14
  • Rocklin defensive performance put this game on ice early.
  • Offense led by Watts, Gomes and key special teams play was just enough to seal the victory against a tough Whitney crowd.
Here are the matchups this week along with the Calpreps projections

Rocklin vs. Oak Ridge

- Rocklin overall 4-1, League 1-0
PF 188
PA 96
Variance +92
Rocklin is coming of a two game win streak of Rio Americano and Whitney

- Oak Ridge overall 3-1, League 0-1
PF 121
PA 62
Variance +59
Oak Ridge is coming off a close loss to Folsom, most competitive game in several seasons.

Calpreps projection= Oak Ridge 38-17

Granite Bay vs. Grant
- Granite Bay overall 2-3, League 0-1
PF 97
PA 89
Variance +8
Granite Bay is coming off a two consecutive loss (12 pt defeat to Vac/18 pt to DO).

- Grant overall 1-3, League 0-0
PF 64
PA 141
Variance -77
Grant enters the game after a week of rest following a victory vs. Franklin.

Calpreps projection= Granite Bay 21-13

Del Oro vs. Whitney
- Del Oro overall 4-1, League 1-0
PF 144
PA 114
Variance +30
Del Oro is riding a 3 game win streak against Spanish Springs, Sac and Granite Bay

- Whitney overall 2-3, League 0-1
PF 132
PA 138
Variance -6
Whitney is coming off a 3 game losing streak to Central Fresno, Lincoln and Rocklin

Calpreps Projection Del Oro 28-27

Folsom vs. Menlo Atherton
- Folsom overall 3-1, League 1-0
PF 164
PA 100
Variance +64
Folsom coming off a close road win at Oak Ridge

- Menlo Atherton overall 1-2, League 0-0
PF 84
PA 101
Variance -17
Menlo Atherton is coming off a 2 game losing streak to Serra and East Salt Lake City

Calpreps Projection Folsom 48-22

Liked what I saw in this game. Nothing fancy, DO just ran the ball down GB’s throat. Same 3 running plays with same RB over and over and GB could not stop it. Also saw improvement in DO’s D. Seemed the learned from the Inderkum game how to contain sweeps. Granted GB does not have the speed Indy has but saw DO made adjustments with LB’s making quick penetration out side of tackles to contain the jet sweeps and reverses.

Liked what I saw in this game. Nothing fancy, DO just ran the ball down GB’s throat. Same 3 running plays with same RB over and over and GB could not stop it. Also saw improvement in DO’s D. Seemed the learned from the Inderkum game how to contain sweeps. Granted GB does not have the speed Indy has but saw DO made adjustments with LB’s making quick penetration out side of tackles to contain the jet sweeps and reverses.

I liked the 4-2 single high look D.O. presented, the linebackers looked great. Likewise, nothing fancy on offense just mauling down the field. Del Oro may be the quietest 4-1 team around. ;)

I have a feeling Rocklin is going to give OR a good game but OR will pull away after halftime 35-21. Both teams are much improved over last year but more talent on OR side especially at Skill positions. I don’t see OR losing another league game.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I have a feeling Rocklin is going to give OR a good game but OR will pull away after halftime 35-21. Both teams are much improved over last year but more talent on OR side especially at Skill positions. I don’t see OR losing another league game.

I would agree Larry, running the ball on O.R. will be very difficult. Oak Ridge is going to score alot in this game but this Thunder team is getting better week by week. I give Rocklin a shot to make this competitive.

That said, this team just looks different with Adam's, lots of swag and distinct joker mentality all over the field. This is also Rocklins homecoming game so they should be hyped.

The Del Oro matchup with Whitney should be a good indication of where the middle is for SFL, right now we have Folsom and OR on top, DO with either Rocklin or GB in the middle and Whitney and Grant near the bottom.

The Del Oro matchup with Whitney should be a good indication of where the middle is for SFL, right now we have Folsom and OR on top, DO with either Rocklin or GB in the middle and Whitney and Grant near the bottom.

Pretty much how I see it also:
Tier-1 Folsom & OR(clear separation from T2)
Tier-2 Rocklin, DO & GB (Whitney?)
Tier-3 Grant (Whitney?)

Answer to Whitney question this Friday. DO & Whitney have played 5x with DO winning 5x with a cumulative score of 180 to 48. We will see if the Wildcats reverse this trend.

Reactions: Santa Ball
I liked the 4-2 single high look D.O. presented, the linebackers looked great. Likewise, nothing fancy on offense just mauling down the field. Del Oro may be the quietest 4-1 team around. ;)

I think this happens after a loss in a marquee early season game. Del Oro plays Inderkum. Loses by a wide margin. Kind of get moved off teams to watch, but they can improve in the shadows and end up being a good team come playoff time.

I expect DO should do no worse than 3-3 in league but have a decent shot at making playoffs. At the least Folsom and OR will be in D1 playoffs so if DO reaches D1 playoffs it could be short lived. Hope they make it to at least to give the Jr’s some experience. I always like their chances once they sniff the path to section.

Pretty much how I see it also:
Tier-1 Folsom & OR(clear separation from T2)
Tier-2 Rocklin, DO & GB (Whitney?)
Tier-3 Grant (Whitney?)

Answer to Whitney question this Friday. DO & Whitney have played 5x with DO winning 5x with a cumulative score of 180 to 48. We will see if the Wildcats reverse this trend.
One thing is for sure, if a team does not come in 100% prepared in any given SFL game....they're screwed regardless of which Tier they are categorized in. The football programs are just really solid from top to bottom.

I expect DO should do no worse than 3-3 in league but have a decent shot at making playoffs. At the least Folsom and OR will be in D1 playoffs so if DO reaches D1 playoffs it could be short lived. Hope they make it to at least to give the Jr’s some experience. I always like their chances once they sniff the path to section.

Agreed. HC has adjusted the offense to fit the personnel. DC got a chance to work on covering the edges against Sac a bit more. Better on Friday as you stated.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
One thing is for sure, if a team does not come in 100% prepared in any given SFL game....they're screwed regardless of which Tier they are categorized in. The football programs are just really solid from top to bottom.

Couldn’t agree more. You got overconfident or don’t prepare/practice well it’s going to be a long night.

Grant vs granite bay should be a good game. Central and East Catholic(wa) are legit programs this year and they have provided my Pacers with valuable experience. Plus tons of film for a young and talented squad to study over the bye week. Granite Bay has always played Grant tough so i expect for them to come out and play physical. Mistake free football while waiting to capitalize on Grant's youth and the traditional self inflicted wounds. Granite bay cant afford an 0-2 start in league play and fight like grizzles but Grant overcomes with too much horse power to pull out a close victory in the Heights 17-16.

Tough loss last week, bro. Tremendous effort! Another break or two and you guys win that game.

Reactions: MCIC
I would agree Larry, running the ball on O.R. will be very difficult. Oak Ridge is going to score alot in this game but this Thunder team is getting better week by week. I give Rocklin a shot to make this competitive.

Rocklin can pull the upset if they win at the LOS. They have a few guys capable of helping them do that.

I don’t doubt that all. Rocklin is very capable of winning and OR better not have a letdown.

Don’t get me wrong, I think OR is the clear favorite to win. And if I was participating in the pick’em, that’s who I would take. But if Rocklin does somehow pull out the W, it’ll start up front.

...But if Rocklin does somehow pull out the W, it’ll start up front.

Holy mackerel what are the Thunder lineman eating!? Must be all those taters we are shipping down from Idaho.:) Rocklin definitely has size in the pits, here are some of the weight numbers: 245, 222, 275, 257, 235, 240, 270, 285, 300. If their skill and football IQ is proportional to their weight then yes I get what TR is saying.

Holy mackerel what are the Thunder lineman eating!? Must be all those taters we are shipping down from Idaho.:) Rocklin definitely has size in the pits, here are some of the weight numbers: 245, 222, 275, 257, 235, 240, 270, 285, 300. If their skill and football IQ is proportional to their weight then yes I get what TR is saying.

One of those kids is a talented Sophomore, Bobby Piland, who was the first freshman to make the all-metro team last season. The kid is a pancake block master.

The Thunder also have good depth of talent at the skill positions.

Last edited:
Here’s a quick recap of week 1 action in league play.

Folsom at Oak Ridge - Folsom Wins 36-33

• It took 4 qtrs, the legs of Ngata and the immaculate reception by Badger to put down this Oak Ridge team
  • Tested early, and late the dogs show no panic in this competitive match up
Rocklin at Whitney- Rocklin Wins 27-14
  • Rocklin defensive performance put this game on ice early.
  • Offense led by Watts, Gomes and key special teams play was just enough to seal the victory against a tough Whitney crowd.
Here are the matchups this week along with the Calpreps projections

Rocklin vs. Oak Ridge

- Rocklin overall 4-1, League 1-0
PF 188
PA 96
Variance +92
Rocklin is coming of a two game win streak of Rio Americano and Whitney

- Oak Ridge overall 3-1, League 0-1
PF 121
PA 62
Variance +59
Oak Ridge is coming off a close loss to Folsom, most competitive game in several seasons.

Calpreps projection= Oak Ridge 38-17

Granite Bay vs. Grant
- Granite Bay overall 2-3, League 0-1
PF 97
PA 89
Variance +8
Granite Bay is coming off a two consecutive loss (12 pt defeat to Vac/18 pt to DO).

- Grant overall 1-3, League 0-0
PF 64
PA 141
Variance -77
Grant enters the game after a week of rest following a victory vs. Franklin.

Calpreps projection= Granite Bay 21-13

Del Oro vs. Whitney
- Del Oro overall 4-1, League 1-0
PF 144
PA 114
Variance +30
Del Oro is riding a 3 game win streak against Spanish Springs, Sac and Granite Bay

- Whitney overall 2-3, League 0-1
PF 132
PA 138
Variance -6
Whitney is coming off a 3 game losing streak to Central Fresno, Lincoln and Rocklin

Calpreps Projection Del Oro 28-27

Folsom vs. Menlo Atherton
- Folsom overall 3-1, League 1-0
PF 164
PA 100
Variance +64
Folsom coming off a close road win at Oak Ridge

- Menlo Atherton overall 1-2, League 0-0
PF 84
PA 101
Variance -17
Menlo Atherton is coming off a 2 game losing streak to Serra and East Salt Lake City

Calpreps Projection Folsom 48-22
Any serious injuries for MA going into this game? They're going to need to be healthy to have a chance to compete against Folsom. Pretty tough first three games for them (Serra, East of SLC, and Folsom)

H
Any serious injuries for MA going into this game? They're going to need to be healthy to have a chance to compete against Folsom. Pretty tough first three games for them (Serra, East of SLC, and Folsom)

Haven’t heard much but it sounds like a key 2way lineman is out for sure. Here’s a little more from the coach this week courtesy of the SJ Mercury.

From the SJ Merc...

It definitely helps that M-A is coming off a bye week, with two-way lineman Uate Uhila still a no-go for Folsom but nearing a return after suffering an injury in the season opener.

“We have obviously been playing a lot of stiff competition and this bye week gives us a little bit of time to recuperate, kind of recover,” Posthauer said. “And now we’ve gotten a taste of what the postseason will look like, and we’re kind of just slowing it down, we’re getting more focused on the small things.”

“We’re definitely wounded in a lot of places that we need,” Anderson said. “But it was a good week to heal up, talk about a lot of things that we need to work on and just keep our heads up.”

After tonight here is how I see the SFL:
Tier-1:
Folsom
Rocklin(beat Oak Ridge)
Oak Ridge

Tier-2:
Whitney(beat DO and lost to Rocklin by 2TD’s)
DO
Granite Bay(beat Grant at Grant 17-3)

Tier-3:
Grant

I said it earlier I thought grant would go winless in league. Looks like a 1 win season for pacers.

What a huge win for the Whitney Wildcats. From going 0-10 to 3-3 and playing that tough of a schedule. Program changing win for the Wildcats vs Del Oro. I believe first time they have ever beat an SFL team other than Rocklin in the history of the school. Kudos to the turnaround there. Very good for the SFL as a whole! I think someone said it earlier, but if you do not prep or have a bad week of practice anyone can lose to anyone. Loving high school ball this year!

OR is a real bad spot at 0-2 but they had the toughest 2 games. All about character now. They need to comeback this week and smash Grant and get some momentum again. Sometimes coming off an emotional game like Folsom is tough to rebound from and Rocklin is a dangerous team. I though it would be a good game but OR would prevail. Nope, Rocklin won the line and was better team.

With that coaching staff and their tradition Oak Ridge will bounce back just fine. The only difference this year is their is honestly NO gimme games in the SFL, so every week needs to be a great week of preparation. Even Grant I think may surprise 1-2 teams this year due to their sheer size and talent. What a year.

Any thoughts on how Rocklin matches up againt Folsom? I know Rocklin has great line play but can they score enough to beat Folsom? Gotta get confidence early by getting on the board. OR was able to do this and kids started to believe. If it’s 14-0 8 min into the first qtr Rocklin is in for a night.

Any thoughts on how Rocklin matches up againt Folsom? I know Rocklin has great line play but can they score enough to beat Folsom? Gotta get confidence early by getting on the board. OR was able to do this and kids started to believe. If it’s 14-0 8 min into the first qtr Rocklin is in for a night.

Larry great observation on the unfolding of OR v Folsom. It was almost indistinguishable from the Rocklin v OR get off. It appeared the kids started to believe early, stayed by “the within one score” mantra and the weight shifted to OR.

I’m hoping this game is competitive but I don’t know. The pathway for Rocklin staying in this game is if Folsom continues to spin it and QB has a very bad game. Don’t get blown out in the first half, roll the dice a lot and hope for 10 pt boost to come from special teams alone. This Thunder team is really good so I could see them showing well and yes a win is possible. Can Rocklin score 40 on Folsom? Can Rocklin hold Folsom under 40?

I think all the weight of this game shifts to Folsom, having been all but eliminated from the open and darn near getting knocked off by OR. The bulldogs are hosting, transfer reinforcements all over the place and have to....not only beat Rocklin, but win by a country mile as if their SFL credibility depends on it because it does.

Agree. I think Rocklin has nothing to lose. Gamble “smart” and play your game. Folsom line isn’t great by any means. Rocklin will more than hold there own in trenches. You can’t let badger go bananas. He is so tough after the catch. Folsom kicking game is also very good. You never hear about it but it’s a great weapon.

I don’t have any predictions yet. Ball is going to have to bounce Rocklins way all night and like you said QB needs to have a bad game. He’s tough so I wouldn’t count on it.

Here is my working theory right now looking at the top three teams in SFL (Folsom, Oak Ridge, Rocklin)

Folsom was coming off a very physical game against DLS and travels to Oak Ridge the next week with a close win.

Oak Ridge was coming off a very physical game against Folsom and then travels to Rocklin (Loss)

Rocklin has the big win over Oak Ridge and now travels to Folsom.

That is a long way of saying the game after a "big game" can be very tough to navigate

Streak OR was coming off 2 weeks rest also when they played Folsom and a lot to prep for. They were more than ready. It was an emotional game and having to play the next best team in SFL back to back proved too much. Some teams never recover from a loss like that too Folsom. I’m not saying that will happen but it’s tough to rebound from in HS. It’s not like pros where you have mentality to move on quickly.
I don’t see Rocklin keeping it close against Folsom. I think OR will be biggest scare until playoffs.

Yup.. I certainly hope it’s close because I will be there and watching a good game beats a bad one. But I just have a hunch it’s going to be tough for Rocklin. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT