ADVERTISEMENT

SHC over University

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Irish breeze through the Red Devils 73-45. SHC is 3-0.

Irish play Lincoln (SF) next on Tuesday, Dec. 11 at Lincoln. Game time is 6:30pm.

S.I. plays University at the cat box on Saturday, Dec. 8th at 4:00pm.

SH is a good team this year. Will be interesting, but they are in a very difficult tournament in Socal where they will play St. Augustine( Great Basketball School in San Diego) and Harvard-Westlake as well.

1/10 is the SH game that everyone should go to. @Riordan....everyone here knows why that game will be very unique.

Reactions: Scott2138
SH is a good team this year. Will be interesting, but they are in a very difficult tournament in Socal where they will play St. Augustine( Great Basketball School in San Diego) and Harvard-Westlake as well.

1/10 is the SH game that everyone should go to. @Riordan....everyone here knows why that game will be very unique.

I think this game will be closer than some realize. Monroe is still nursing a nagging injury and the Crusaders based on last weeks play haven't been able to play to their potential. They have all the parts but not cohesive at this point. Im sure they will be better by 1/10. Watching the Crusaders play in last weeks' championship game against St. Francis, it looks like every player is waiting for the other person to step up rather than the team step up. Its early and just what I saw. I like the way the IRISH are playing and doing their business with little fanfare building the team and slowly becoming a better team gaining confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Thats usually the case with SI too, but it will be interesting the first game being played at Haas Pavilion for the Bruce Mahoney this year. Maybe a change in Venue will help.

This game may be more like a scrimmage with neither school having much fan support. Unless the schools both provide transportation for the students. Bad move by the administration

This game may be more like a scrimmage with neither school having much fan support. Unless the schools both provide transportation for the students. Bad move by the administration
I would bet it is a one year issue. USF's gym was not conducive for it this year since the upper left side of the gym is out of commission while they build special club suites. I would be next year, the game will be at the Chase Center.

Have to love the 3-0 start even if two of the opponents arent on the same level. Stuart Hall probably not on same level either. Coach MacKay this year and last year building early season success and confidence going into a brutal league season. Irish definitely playing team inspired ball on both ends.

As for the games vs Riordan, I anticipate Bryce not having big scoring games but high assist totals.

The Bruce-Mahoney game at Haas? Seriously? Why not save the trouble and just have it at Kezar Pavilion?

They should have played SI/SHC game at Cow Palace. Last time they had it at Kezar, the west upper deck exterior concrete was popping out (the old lady cant structurally take the weight any longer).

Last edited:
I have not seen SHC play this year. I only suspect that last year, everything went through Bryce Monroe. Drive, shoot and/or dish. That was their offense. Maybe kids felt pressure of rocking the boat with a coach and a talented individual. Now that he is with Riordan, kids may be more relaxed and team ball taking over. Might be a good fit for both teams.

Did SHC play University at SH or University? I thought with Spivey and strong senior class, University was a solid team last year. Maybe some baby steps this year for the Devils.

Have to love the 3-0 start even if two of the opponents arent on the same level. Stuart Hall probably not on same level either. Coach MacKay this year and last year building early season success and confidence going into a brutal league season. Irish definitely playing team inspired ball on both ends.

As for the games vs Riordan, I anticipate Bryce not having big scoring games but high assist totals.

The Bruce-Mahoney game at Haas? Seriously? Why not save the trouble and just have it at Kezar Pavilion?
Kezar Pavilion has been long in need of replacement. I don't see why it's so hard to do considering what was done to replace Kezar Stadium.

Kezar Pavilion has been long in need of replacement. I don't see why it's so hard to do considering what was done to replace Kezar Stadium.
I suspect the cost would be outragious. To gut, remodel, and City codes make any significant improvements tough to justify. This is way more expensive than the football stadium. City probably cant justify the cost, when it still works for all events other than a SI/SHC game. True it would be great, but man to build something equivilent in this day and time and cost, prohibited.

I have not seen SHC play this year. I only suspect that last year, everything went through Bryce Monroe. Drive, shoot and/or dish. That was their offense. Maybe kids felt pressure of rocking the boat with a coach and a talented individual. Now that he is with Riordan, kids may be more relaxed and team ball taking over. Might be a good fit for both teams.

Did SHC play University at SH or University? I thought with Spivey and strong senior class, University was a solid team last year. Maybe some baby steps this year for the Devils.
It was at University.

Kezar Pavilion for me was always Home for the Irish. There was a nostalgia and mystique about the gym that gave SH a slight advantage. Darker lights, the springiest floor, the deep corner stands. Student Life Center now is nowhere near a home court advantage for SH. Its just convenient for the students to be there for games. I suspect that is why in the past 5+ years SH has scheduled more road games than home games.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I suspect the cost would be outragious. To gut, remodel, and City codes make any significant improvements tough to justify. This is way more expensive than the football stadium. City probably cant justify the cost, when it still works for all events other than a SI/SHC game. True it would be great, but man to build something equivilent in this day and time and cost, prohibited.

IDK they have remodeled every other gym in the city, why not Kezar. Hamilton, Glen Park, Palega have all been fully remodeled. Kezar is the only gym in that area so it seems to me that it should warrant the remodel.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

iamgearyblvd....very disrespectful comment towards Stuart Hall High School. Last year we made the State Championship game and pretty much returned every single starter. When SH won that game they celebrated like they won the State Championship. Not bashing them for doing so, but just saying, Stuart Hall isn't some cupcake team....and they haven't been for quite some time now!

IDK they have remodeled every other gym in the city, why not Kezar. Hamilton, Glen Park, Palega have all been fully remodeled. Kezar is the only gym in that area so it seems to me that it should warrant the remodel.
Warrant? Absolutely. Cant compare potential cost of Kezar structure, lockers and office space to single floor neighborhood gyms. But I agree, would be a nice investment to The City. It could be show place for sectional finals and other mid-level entertainment events.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
iamgearyblvd....very disrespectful comment towards Stuart Hall High School. Last year we made the State Championship game and pretty much returned every single starter. When SH won that game they celebrated like they won the State Championship. Not bashing them for doing so, but just saying, Stuart Hall isn't some cupcake team....and they haven't been for quite some time now!

For a school that hasn't been to a state championship under this new regime that was their state championship lmao. City bragging right :)

But that’s why they have divisions. Stuart Hall is always going to be D4 or D5. SHC is always going to be D3. Playing programs that are good to very good in higher divisions is not level competition. That’s just my opinion. Stuart Hall has always maintained their success year after year at their division level and that should be applauded. Fact is whenever Hall makes it to the state final which is very often, what NorCal guy doesn’t root for them against a very loaded SoCal team?

There is no disrespect. That’s why I said “probably” after the fact because on paper Hall has the two best players on the court and they lost by double digits to an Irish team that is likely going to struggle to win games as the season progresses. I bid your Hall team good luck for the rest of the season.

Warrant? Absolutely. Cant compare potential cost of Kezar structure, lockers and office space to single floor neighborhood gyms. But I agree, would be a nice investment to The City. It could be show place for sectional finals and other mid-level entertainment events.

Would be hilarious if a Pavilion remodel was given the ok and say Oracle was getting torn down and then they start putting Oracle seats into Pavilion like taking Candlestick seats and putting them into 50 yard line seats at Kezar Stadium. Gotta love the re-use/recycle/zero waste economy!

Would be hilarious if a Pavilion remodel was given the ok and say Oracle was getting torn down and then they start putting Oracle seats into Pavilion like taking Candlestick seats and putting them into 50 yard line seats at Kezar Stadium. Gotta love the re-use/recycle/zero waste economy!

Makes sense though and cost effective!

But that’s why they have divisions. Stuart Hall is always going to be D4 or D5. SHC is always going to be D3. Playing programs that are good to very good in higher divisions is not level competition. That’s just my opinion. Stuart Hall has always maintained their success year after year at their division level and that should be applauded. Fact is whenever Hall makes it to the state final which is very often, what NorCal guy doesn’t root for them against a very loaded SoCal team?

There is no disrespect. That’s why I said “probably” after the fact because on paper Hall has the two best players on the court and they lost by double digits to an Irish team that is likely going to struggle to win games as the season progresses. I bid your Hall team good luck for the rest of the season.
NCS D5 Branson just defeated NCS D1 Dublin tonight to open up the first round of the Gridley Tourney 66-57. Robby Beasley made his 2018 debut for the Gaels in the loss.

Last edited:
NCS D5 Branson just defeated NCS D1 Dublin tonight to open up the first round of the Gridley Tourney 66-57. Robby Beasley made his 2018 debut for the Gaels in the loss.

So you’re saying Branson can beat Riordan this year? =p

Good one! Lol! Branson could have beat many teams the way they played tonight. Branson's guard was on fire, similar to how Alonso lit up the Crusaders a few weeks ago. Tough D limited the Gaels' star scorers including Beasley.

They could also use it for college games and tournaments. There's plenty of room and adding a few decks to the existing parking lot would be easy too.

Here are a few reasons for the non remodel of Kezar

1. There is a lot of lead in the building underneath all those layers of paint on the bleachers. There would need to be millions spent not only on abatement, but a new Environmental Impact Report and many other reports committee meetings and the like would need to take place without even striking the first hammer.

2. And this is probably 99.9% the reason why THE NEIGHBORS and Neighborhood will not let it happen

3. As for adding a garage there, that will never happen because the neighbors do not want to deal with the traffic.

Reactions: CityVibesII
The voters will eventually decide if it makes it to the final 2019 Parks bond list and it is being bounced around. Neighborhood centers run 10-12 million. Think upwards of $50 million per the report presented at the Commission. But it would be a long way out.

Yes... aren't the PROAM games played there too? However, probably all types of games will be eventually played at Chase I surmise

iamgearyblvd
Don't you remember how Branson used to beat those Modesto Christian teams like a drum, even though MC had D 1 players?
People always ask me, why did you inivite a Div 5 team to the Gridley tournament. I just say, watch them play.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Irish breeze through the Red Devils 73-45. SHC is 3-0.

Irish play Lincoln (SF) next on Tuesday, Dec. 11 at Lincoln. Game time is 6:30pm.

S.I. plays University at the cat box on Saturday, Dec. 8th at 4:00pm.

Hello, IC, You mentioned on another post you saw the Irish Frosh A play and they look nice, have you seen SH Jv games? Lookin at the scores, it looks like inconsistencies.... are players injured or the competition just better?

Hello, IC, You mentioned on another post you saw the Irish Frosh A play and they look nice, have you seen SH Jv games? Lookin at the scores, it looks like inconsistencies.... are players injured or the competition just better?
I haven't seen the JV's yet except for the Alumni game. I'll probably be at the Lincoln game. They got rolled by Salesian (the Mustangs from SoCal), so we'll see. There were some players who were on the football team so maybe they have to catch-up practice-wise.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the JV's yet. I'll probably be at the Lincoln game. They got rolled by Salesian (the Knights from SoCal), so we'll see. There were some players who were on the football team so maybe they have to catch-up practice-wise.

Thank you, heard that some of the JVs from the frosh and varsity football team were not at full strength and it would explain the discrepancy in scoring in the games.

All the talented freshman are playing freshman A for some odd reason. They do have a good freshman class but who knows why they are playing freshman A instead of JV.

All the talented freshman are playing freshman A for some odd reason. They do have a good freshman class but who knows why they are playing freshman A instead of JV.

All but one...! He probably is one of the best of the bunch.

Out of the group I think he should be playing JV.

Yes, but was injured during football season so Im thinking he is still nursing the injury slightly. The Jvs are inconsistent with the scoring so I was wondering if he was out on those games. Maybe the coach wanted to keep this Frosh A class together to get better cohesiveness for now. Im sure if the Varsity goes somewhere or things get complicated some will move up right away.

Yes, but was injured during football season so Im thinking he is still nursing the injury slightly. The Jvs are inconsistent with the scoring so I was wondering if he was out on those games. Maybe the coach wanted to keep this Frosh A class together to get better cohesiveness for now. Im sure if the Varsity goes somewhere or things get complicated some will move up right away.
I saw Ray-John Jackson on the JV's, up from the Frosh football team. Cian Dowling and Evan Branch-Haynes from the Varsity football team are also on the JV's. From the All-Name team is #21 Soph Nicolious Hooker.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT