ADVERTISEMENT

SHC over University

Yes, but was injured during football season so Im thinking he is still nursing the injury slightly. The Jvs are inconsistent with the scoring so I was wondering if he was out on those games. Maybe the coach wanted to keep this Frosh A class together to get better cohesiveness for now. Im sure if the Varsity goes somewhere or things get complicated some will move up right away.

He only played one game with the JV he's playing varsity now

Reactions: Scott2138
But that’s why they have divisions. Stuart Hall is always going to be D4 or D5. SHC is always going to be D3. Playing programs that are good to very good in higher divisions is not level competition. That’s just my opinion. Stuart Hall has always maintained their success year after year at their division level and that should be applauded. Fact is whenever Hall makes it to the state final which is very often, what NorCal guy doesn’t root for them against a very loaded SoCal team?

There is no disrespect. That’s why I said “probably” after the fact because on paper Hall has the two best players on the court and they lost by double digits to an Irish team that is likely going to struggle to win games as the season progresses. I bid your Hall team good luck for the rest of the season.

Iamgearyblvd....one thing I have learned over these past couple of years of watching High School Basketball in the Bay Area, is Division is nothing but a number. Last year Stuart Hall beat Sacramento High which is a D2 school. Dublin which is D1 lost to D4 Branson. It merely means you have more of a pool of kids to chose from, as opposed to having a smaller more talented group of kids. I think this is why the State Playoffs last year were so unique. You had teams like University and Branson playing in the D3 bracket, and Menlo jumping from division 4 all the way to Division 1, where they did indeed beat Clayton Valley Charter.

Overall, Sacred Heart isn't getting enough credit. I think a lot of those kids are playing with a chip on their shoulders, and I could see them really pushing some teams, including Riordan, in their division. In the end it'll probably come down to Bellarmine and Mitty, but who knows. I know personally I'll be cheering for SH the rest of the season.

Next week is a big week for my Knights....3 games......Miramonte at The Hall, Riordan @Riordan, then Branson @ Branson to finish the week off!

Iamgearyblvd....one thing I have learned over these past couple of years of watching High School Basketball in the Bay Area, is Division is nothing but a number. Last year Stuart Hall beat Sacramento High which is a D2 school. Dublin which is D1 lost to D4 Branson. It merely means you have more of a pool of kids to chose from, as opposed to having a smaller more talented group of kids. I think this is why the State Playoffs last year were so unique. You had teams like University and Branson playing in the D3 bracket, and Menlo jumping from division 4 all the way to Division 1, where they did indeed beat Clayton Valley Charter.

Overall, Sacred Heart isn't getting enough credit. I think a lot of those kids are playing with a chip on their shoulders, and I could see them really pushing some teams, including Riordan, in their division. In the end it'll probably come down to Bellarmine and Mitty, but who knows. I know personally I'll be cheering for SH the rest of the season.

Next week is a big week for my Knights....3 games......Miramonte at The Hall, Riordan @Riordan, then Branson @ Branson to finish the week off!

You're correct about it being a number. Do you recall the early 90s with teams like St. Joseph's led by Kidd and on the girls side with Sacred Heart Prep led by Rizzo, Felts that won state and they were basically Div IV or V schools. And really on any given night a lower division team like Branson can beat a higher division like Dublin. For the most part it really matters who's on your team. Amos and Burris should lead Hall to a very very good record this year and can make the argument they belong in Open. Branson has displayed they can hang tough against two of the best teams in Sheldon and Riordan. I'm a fan of competitive basketball vs blowouts.

Very premature much like Riordan's ranking at beginning of year. The WCAL has a way of neutralizing nail heads. Being that said, nice to see they are getting recognition.

From a source so high-placed that his identity cannot be divulged.
Wait what?No, I am not hiding. I am a parent of a current SHC varsity player. I am not trying to cause any issues. I was just commenting on that post about Jackson, that’s all.
As always, GO IRISH!!

Im going to go with hes not on varsity. The post Barbour era outside of Bryce has not had a freshman on the team. Fact is most freshman are not ready and need every bit of playing time on JV or Frosh to acclimate themselves to the next level. And even if they were added to the team later on in the season, they didnt get into the game or played any meaningful minutes.

I think Jackson will be solid and ready to contribute next season.

Reactions: Dreams 415
Play the SH/SI game at Cow Palace. Loved watching games there. Plenty of parking too.

Amazing the player movement and passing back then to get literally a shot at the basket. Not a whole lot of standing around and chucking up 3s. Teams really valued their possessions instead of the mindset of more possessions more chances to score. Oh how times have changed.

Wait what?No, I am not hiding. I am a parent of a current SHC varsity player. I am not trying to cause any issues. I was just commenting on that post about Jackson, that’s all.
As always, GO IRISH!!
I was kidding... I took an educated guess that it was Jackson.

UPDATE: Ray Jackson, Freshman Player of The Year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreams 415
SHC played Lincoln and the game was closer thanks to the refs and Irish shots were not falling...# 4 and # 5 missed a lot more lay ups than usual that will need to make. I think Oscar got into foul trouble but Osin M and Flowers will be the leaders. Osin is a nice player, he is a great "put back" player and overall shooter. He will be consistent. On the Jv side, I didn't see Branch Hayes or Jackson and they were not even at the game. Anyone know their status on the teams?

SHC played Lincoln and the game was closer thanks to the refs and Irish shots were not falling...# 4 and # 5 missed a lot more lay ups than usual that will need to make. I think Oscar got into foul trouble but Osin M and Flowers will be the leaders. Osin is a nice player, he is a great "put back" player and overall shooter. He will be consistent. On the JV side, I didn't see Branch-Haynes or Jackson and they were not even at the game. Anyone know their status on the teams?

I noticed they weren't there either. Oisen McCormack played great out there. So did C.J. Reed early on. They just needed some easy shots to drop. The refs called a technical on McCormack after he disagreed with a foul call. Big deal. I've seen a lot worse with no call. That's how Lincoln got back into the game. I hope they find more consistency in the upcoming SoCal games.

SHC played Lincoln and the game was closer thanks to the refs and Irish shots were not falling...# 4 and # 5 missed a lot more lay ups than usual that will need to make. I think Oscar got into foul trouble but Osin M and Flowers will be the leaders. Osin is a nice player, he is a great "put back" player and overall shooter. He will be consistent. On the Jv side, I didn't see Branch Hayes or Jackson and they were not even at the game. Anyone know their status on the teams?
Evan Branch Hayes is injured. And Jackson doesnt t have the GPA to be eligible right now.
And the refs were ridiculous last night. One threatened someone in the stands for disagreeing with the call. Damn shame

I hate to say this but the referee abuse coming from those in the stands has led to a lot of what you pointed out. The referee pools are dwindling fast and furious due to a lot of spectator abuse. This is not just in basketball but in all sports across the board.

Here is a prime example, in Northern California there were 2500 new referees signed up in 2018 however the sport experienced a loss of 3200 referees in the same region so even with 2500 new referees you still have a loss of 700 referees.

Many are citing fan abuse and leagues and schools unwillingness to deal with the actions of spectators. I know of some guys who enjoyed officiating 20 to 25 years ago but now no longer do it due to behavior at games.

One thing spectators need to realize is these officials are humans just as they are and will make mistakes. Unfortunately we have a lot of fans who think they know the game better than the official on the court. If you are one of these fans that are not liking calls made by the referees, I am sure local officiating associations can use you to officiate games.

Get in touch with the local sports officiating association and I am sure you will get plenty of games to ref.

Evan Branch Hayes is injured. And Jackson doesnt t have the GPA to be eligible right now.
And the refs were ridiculous last night. One threatened someone in the stands for disagreeing with the call. Damn shame

Got to hit the books Mr. Jackson to play...Better to learn now and get your priorities straight than deal with this down the line! Get it right, cause your future looks bright..think of the many kids who want your opportunity..make it count!

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I know. Don't be a wise guy.

Give him a break. Its hoops season and its the only time this year he can actually record stats that have any real positive outcome. Oh and wrestling too. I cant short wrestling team. Those guys are good. However, soccer 0-2 with a pair of 5-0 losses.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I keep hearing about Irish soccer. Have the Irish ever won a WCAL soccer title? I thought SI is the defending champ?

I keep hearing about Irish soccer. Have the Irish ever won a WCAL soccer title? I thought SI is the defending champ?
The varsity hasn't won a WCAL title but they have won some CCS titles. SI is defending champ but I think SHC will improve this season and the next two seasons at least. Irish frosh won two league titles in a row. I was surprised they lost to SH Prep and University, both 2-1. They have 4 sophomores on this team, so they could use some time to gel. It looks like Bellarmine is the front-runner again although St. Francis is 6-0 so far.

Last edited:

SI won last year. Pretty darn good team. SH won CCS D2 last year..... wait for it..... by forfeit. 2015, in an ultimate show of sportsmanship, they tied Prospect 1-1 in CCS finals and they decided to share the title. Now thats living Jesus in our hearts!

Reactions: jordan24
SI won last year. Pretty darn good team. SH won CCS D2 last year..... wait for it..... by forfeit. 2015, in an ultimate show of sportsmanship, they tied Prospect 1-1 in CCS finals and they decided to share the title. Now thats living Jesus in our hearts!

So it was a forfeit, or was it a tie? Both? Was it supposed to go into OT or PKs, and they both agreed to stop it? Is that a forfeit? I’m not sure of the CCS soccer rules, especially for ties in OT, just trying to wrap my head around it.

So it was a forfeit, or was it a tie? Both? Was it supposed to go into OT or PKs, and they both agreed to stop it? Is that a forfeit? I’m not sure of the CCS soccer rules, especially for ties in OT, just trying to wrap my head around it.

Observer the tie occurred in 2015. This was the year before CCS mandated that a winner must come out of every match in preparation for the state tournament last year. Prior to 2016, PKs after the OT did not occur and the matches were recorded as a tie

The forfeit occurred last year after the NorCal seeding when the team the Irish played was found out to have used 8neligible players for the CCS Championship match.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
It was a forfeit by Mt. Pleasant. Ineligible player. Since the seeding was already set for the NorCal playoffs, Mt. Pleasant's slot was vacated.
For the shared title with Prospect, I was under the impression that that's the way the championship ends if there's a tie. Prospect scored very early in the first half and SHC scored very late in the second half, followed by two overtimes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT