ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's - Stockton vs Mater Dei @ Levi's Stadium

This week it is Cardinal Newman hosting St. Mary's-Stockton.

Both teams lost their starting QB to graduation. CN lost Brookshire. SM lost Dunniway.

Like vs Serra last year, last year's game vs Cardinal Newman was a shootout in the first half until the Rams took over in the second half. Both starting QB's were unstoppable. But, add in that St. Mary's RB, Dusty Frampton, was unstoppable with 194 yards on 21 carries and 3 TD's. Same could be said for the Rams WR, Dewey Cotton, who caught 12 passes for 195 yards and 3 TD's (just too much speed).

Click here for highlights from 2016 meeting. Please ignore the final score/stats at the end of the video as this is incorrect.

Here's the breakdown for this year's game ...

QB. St. Mary's will be without starting QB, Noah May. Noah played excellent vs Serra. Backup QB, Marcus Aponte, came in with one mission in mind to hold onto the football and run down the clock. He only threw the ball once, which resulted in a 32 yard TD reception by senior WR and 3rd string QB, Hunter Low. Marcus's arm is yet to be tested. This year, Cardinal Newman's senior, Beau Barrington, starts at QB and is off to a great start in his victory performance vs Fortuna. This week he faces a tougher secondary in St. Mary's. But, because he has a complete game under his belt and demonstrated success, I am going to lean with Cardinal Newman for this position. Who knows? Maybe Marcus Aponte surprises us all in filling in for Noah May? Since it is still a mystery - Edge Cardinals.

RB. Dusty Frampton for the Rams could not be stopped last year. I have my doubts he will be stopped this year. St. Mary's line may not be as big as last year, but I believe the Rams will still have an advantage in the running game, especially with Aponte's ability to run from the Wildcat set. The Cardinals counter with senior RB, Tanner Mendoza. But, I like the Rams run defense and how well they did vs Serra's run offense ... Edge Rams.

WR. St. Mary's demonstrated vs Serra that they are loaded in this position. It's not just Tre Jenkins and Aponte (who will now be at QB), but a few speedsters in Yay Yay Cotton, Joe Fontes, and the sophomore sensation, Jamar Marshall. I realize that CN will counter with their own set of WR's for Barrington to throw to. However, considering the damage Dewey Cotton (Yay Yay's older brother) caused last year, CN is now faced with stopping 3 times what they faced vs Dewey Cotton. It will be a test still for Aponte to get them the ball. But, I feel confident they will get the ball. And once they get the ball, lookout! Edge Rams.

TE. Do either team utilize this position to receive the ball? Not much. Hence, ... Even

OL/DL. On paper, St. Mary's linemen are bigger than the Cardinals linemen, but not by much. The big factor will be the depth at this position due to size of roster. Last year CN line was worn down against a larger/deeper Rams OL/DL. Anticipate the same result in this area. Edge Rams.

LB. The Rams' Harrison Heath looked great vs Serra last week. Expectations are that he will shine again this week along with the rest of the Rams LB's. However, I feel the Cardinals will feel at liberty to pack the box and will have some success in stopping the Rams running game, unless Aponte can threaten via the air. Still, Dusty Frampton and Aponte in the Wildcat will not be easy to stop/control, especially late in the game. Edge Rams.

Secondary
. As shared last week, with the Jenkins brothers anchoring the secondary for the Rams, the Rams secondary is being touted as one of the best in the area. Shame on me for questioning this in my initial analysis vs Serra. The Cardinal Newman secondary had trouble with the speed of the Rams last year. The Rams bring more speed this year in the WR position. Although Barrington demonstrated much success going deep vs Fortuna, the Rams secondary is not at the same level as Fortuna's secondary. The Jenkins brothers are going to be tough to beat. Only edge I see Cardinal Newman having is they will be facing an untested QB, in Aponte. But, that disappears once any one of the speedy WR's get the ball. Please note that Aponte has QB experience as a youth, and he is an athlete. It won't take much effort for him to have an impact against the CN secondary, especially when Frampton gets into the secondary and runs free. Edge Rams.

Special Teams. St. Mary's transfer student kicker is awesome! Doubt CN will get a chance to return any kickoffs, unless he is instructed to kick it short. All of his kicks will be touchbacks. He also was successful in FG attempts vs Serra from 30 and 34. The kid has one heck of a leg. Keep in mind that CN's coach Cronin is a genius at trick plays and CN did recover the onside kick attempt Fortuna tried. The difference make is still the Rams kicker. Edge Rams.

Tangibles. Trick plays (element of surprise) and home field advantage. Edge Cardinals.

In summary, this game is expected to be a blow-out. Calpreps projects a 44-14 win for St. Mary's. However, history between these teams has proven that you can't count out Cardinal Newman. They come to play, plus they will be hosting this game. I anticipate a tough game in the trenches again. But, I feel once again, with Cardinal Newman being the smaller school with the smaller roster, that depth is going to play a key factor and they will get worn down come the 2nd half. There is still potential that Aponte (new at QB) might make mistakes or Frampton fumbles the ball, as he did once vs Cardinal Newman last year. Turnovers can certainly alter the game expectations. Heck, Serra had 4 to 1 versus St. Mary's last week. I really like the Rams defense this year. They will definitely be tested again vs Cardinal Newman. I also believe CN will do their best at defense and have hope in testing Aponte's arm. But, can they stop Dusty Frampton? Two years ago, the Rams escaped Santa Rosa with a 35-34 win. I'm anticipated another hard fought game, where the Ram's ground game and defense will dictate the results this year. Rams with the victory 28-13.

Last edited:
Rancho will first face "some" competition on 9/15 vs Campolindo. Rancho does not get CN until 11/4. Rancho lost to CN last year in OT at the varsity level and their JV with a 9-1 record got beat by CN 31-14. Rancho Cotate has a good program. But, IMHO, they don't get much competition in pre-league or league (other than CN) to compare. I think Marin Catholic also falls into this group of Rancho Cotate and Cardinal Newman. MC took care of business vs Campolindo last week and have a good match-up vs Central Catholic, which St. Mary's will host the following week. It's so early. Still hard to gauge how good these teams really are until we get more results on the field. Much respect to Rancho Cotate, CN, and the others.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
yes, marin catholic, newman, and rancho are all up there. But don't take Rancho for granted . This is a team that had Antioch last year within a TD and lost to ODOWD in NCS Semi's by 3. They have a lot of kids back and probably the best QB beside MC Petras in the part of the state. Simmons passed for 4000 yards and 43 TD's as a JR. Kid has college size and can really play. Rancho sends kids to D1 colleges year in and out. I'm just saying they can compete with a lot of schools. I think they go into that Newman game 10-0 this year. They play 2 very good teams coming up. Analy is another program that year in and out competes with everybody. And we all know about Campo.

Agree with most of you. This game is St. Mary's to lose. For Newman to win they will need to get out front early and force St Mary's in to catch up. There is hope as replacement QB threw TD pass in to triple coverage and short. Accuracy and decision making will be key.

Yep, that TD throw by Aponte was short, but more like a floater Hail Mary pass for any to grab. Fortunately, Hunter Low was in the right position to grab it and skip into the endzone. If I were Cardinal Newman, I would flood the box to stop the run, limit QB to throwing short (jam the WR's), and dare Aponte to throw deep. Rams have the speedy WR's who can run deep and beat the CN secondary. But, can Aponte get them the ball deep? Floater Hail Mary passes will allow the CN secondary to make up ground and better chances for INT's. Indeed, accuracy and decision making will be key by Aponte. This game, indeed, is for St. Mary's to lose. But, Cardinal Newman definitely can pull off the upset if the stars align. That's why we play the game on the field. I really think this game is going to come down to which team has the better defense. I wouldn't be surprised if the defense for either team scores a TD from pick 6 or fumble return. Cardinal Newman has played St. Mary's enough times to anticipate what to expect and properly defend it. The Rams losing their QB and relying on Aponte in this position is definitely the mystery as to how all of this is going to play out. Stay tuned.

Reactions: northbayfb
I really like Aponte though. He brings athleticism to the position and another dimension. I agree with you guys on flooding the box. Make him throw. He can definitely run and is outstanding in the open field. Newman is definitely an underdog and whether its 2-3 TD's is anybody's guess. They need some breaks. Some early turnovers and scores. Give them so confidence. Wish I was out in sonoma county for this one. Keep us posted.

I'm bias to the NCS because I still think its the best overall section when you combine the 3 major sports. (football, basketball and baseball). NCS did very well against SJS and the SJS took it to the CCS. Still early in the year. Teams can often be totally different by week 10.

This should be an interesting match up. If St. Mary's QB cannot play, then the edge may go to Cardinal Newman.
That St Mary's defense looks very stout and the DBs can cover. I think it could be closer than the Serra game because the game snowballed so fast and then St mary's seemed to toe it down a little in second half. Serra played better, but I think St Mary's toned it down a little. Newman will have some matchup issues and I think Frampton will have more success running against Newman. Serra run defense is very stout and were burned on RAC on screens and short passes. Not sure Newman has anyone that can matchup with their speedster playmakers. They just need an inch and they are gone.

Have there been any updates made for the start times for the JV and Varsity games @ Cardinal Newman? I am showing the JV game is scheduled for 4:30PM and the Varsity is scheduled for 7PM, per St. Mary's website and Cardinal Newman's website. It appears that Santa Rosa will be hitting 100 degrees F on Friday @ 5PM and will cool down to 93 degrees F by 6PM. For St. Mary's this temperature is the norm during practice in Stockton. I am hearing that other venues are changing their start times to accommodate the heat. Just wondering if the CN vs SM is doing the same, so I can tune in to watch the game at the correct time.

Have there been any updates made for the start times for the JV and Varsity games @ Cardinal Newman? I am showing the JV game is scheduled for 4:30PM and the Varsity is scheduled for 7PM, per St. Mary's website and Cardinal Newman's website. It appears that Santa Rosa will be hitting 100 degrees F on Friday @ 5PM and will cool down to 93 degrees F by 6PM. For St. Mary's this temperature is the norm during practice in Stockton. I am hearing that other venues are changing their start times to accommodate the heat. Just wondering if the CN vs SM is doing the same, so I can tune in to watch the game at the correct time.
Wow that's going to be a cooker! Hot!

I believe light restrictions with neighbors keeps it from having the option to push back.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
I thought it would be much cooler since Santa Rosa is closer to the ocean. Oh well.

At night generally you get that fog and marine layer that comes in and acts as a AC and makes for great weather. But this weekend will just be hot everywhere.

Reactions: slick58
It appears there is much confidence in St. Mary's to beat Cardinal Newman in the early projections of this week's Pick'ems, with many selecting the Rams with their 10 point pick (including me, a huge Rams fan). Yet, there still exists much mystery as to how the Rams offense will do with Aponte at QB. He only threw one (just one) pass last week vs Serra, which was a 30+ yard TD Hail Mary up for grabs, in which Rams senior WR, Hunter Low, came down with for the score. The Rams o-line is not as beefy as last year. The Rams did not have the same success running the ball vs Serra as they did the prior year. Sure, Cardinal Newman, too, had trouble stopping the Rams ground game last year with Frampton carrying the rock. But, the Rams also had a prolific aerial attack that helped, as well. Other than the 2nd quarter flurry the Rams had vs Serra, the Rams offense was pretty much held in check by Serra (1st quarter and much of 2nd half). I anticipate Cardinal Newman's defense will be better this year against the Rams offense than they were last year. Hence, I do not anticipate a high scoring game. I could be wrong. I could be wrong in picking the Rams as my 10 point pick. But, I have some comfort that others are following this projection, in that "should" the Rams lose (it could happen), it won't only be my total Pick'em score that is in jeopardy. Anything can happen on a Friday night. But, it is my trust in the Rams D (more so than the Rams O) that has me picking them to win.

GO SM RAMS!!!

JV Rams KO today at 5:00PM @ Cardinal Newman

Frosh Rams open their season tomorrow @ St. Mary's vs Cardinal Newman. KO moved to 9:00 AM due to heat.

Praying NFHSNetwork has no technical difficulties so I can watch the Varsity game, as scheduled @ 7PM. Too long a drive to make the game in person. Lots of other good games on NFHSNetwork and TV (ie. DLS vs St. John's game, Mater Dei vs BG game), too. Good to stay home with A/C on!

Frosh Rams open their season tomorrow @ St. Mary's vs Cardinal Newman. KO moved to 9:00 AM due to heat.

Praying NFHSNetwork has no technical difficulties so I can watch the Varsity game, as scheduled @ 7PM. Too long a drive to make the game in person. Lots of other good games on NFHSNetwork and TV (ie. DLS vs St. John's game, Mater Dei vs BG game), too. Good to stay home with A/C on!
I'm gonna have to DVR the DLS game. ESPNU right?

I can't seem to find the Mater Dei game on Comcast anywhere. Does anyone know if it's on Comcast?

Wood beat Concord and Vaca beat Liberty Im shocked that those were the only wins by SJS vs NCS last week, Idk if that info is correct who were the other SJS teams that lost?

Sometimes I will have up to 4 games going - TV and 2-3 on my Laptop (NHSFNetwork, The Cube or other stream) and sometimes even have one going on my Google Nexus. I guess I have good bandwidth at home. NFHSNetwork sometimes freezes up but I think mainly due to having so many games going. Since I can stream all these games I am selective on attending ones - have to be big games. Luckily on NFHSNetwork you can also save them to watch later.I've saved games on their that were two years ago.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
I'm planning to bounce between 7 games on NFHS Network (separate window for each on my 56" Smart TV in my den), with main focus on the SM vs CN game. Subscription definitely worth it! Yes, planning to watch replays later of games that were close/interesting. I will watch the 2 TV broadcasted games later. My brain can only handle so much at my age. LOL!

Also, some good games tomorrow on NFHS Network, including the Del Oro game @ 4PM.

So glad it's football season!

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
In preparation for the SM vs CN game, here is a write-up from local Santa Rosa paper:

Press Democrat coverage of the game

Win or lose, praying no one gets hurt from either team and the heat is not an issue. Same goes for all games being played this evening.

This weather is oppressive...and dangerous. It hit 110F in Pleasanton where I live. They've cancelled some games or moved the times in many around the area. It's 108F now. Santa Rosa is 104F at 5pm. If they played in Stockton it is 110F right now. Poor JV. By 4th quarter these teams will be dragging. This is when depth really helps.

Its 108 in Santa Rosa right now. 5pm. Its 107 in sac. For some strange reason bay area and places like Vacaville/Fairfield are hotter or = to Fresno/Sac right now. Bottom line is its brutal. One saving grace is CN is grass. Might be the last school in America that place on it.

Reactions: Dan12Kings
This weather is oppressive...and dangerous. It hit 110F in Pleasanton where I live. They've cancelled some games or moved the times in many around the area. It's 108F now. Santa Rosa is 104F at 5pm. If they played in Stockton it is 110F right now. Poor JV. By 4th quarter these teams will be dragging. This is when depth really helps.

Word is that it hit 104 IN San Francisco! Lol

In preparation for the SM vs CN game, here is a write-up from local Santa Rosa paper:

Press Democrat coverage of the game

Win or lose, praying no one gets hurt from either team and the heat is not an issue. Same goes for all games being played this evening.
"Under funded public schools." Whoever this writer in this no name newspaper is needs to get out more. Lol. Must be a bad area for public schools.

Its 108 in Santa Rosa right now. 5pm. Its 107 in sac. For some strange reason bay area and places like Vacaville/Fairfield are hotter or = to Fresno/Sac right now. Bottom line is its brutal. One saving grace is CN is grass. Might be the last school in America that place on it.
Vacaville has grass too but I don't think that makes too mouch of a difference with this kind of heat

NFHS Network is currently broadcasting the JV game with no sound. Varsity pregame show (with audio) will not begin until 7:25PM (per Twitter).

JV game over. Not sure the final score after watching both teams score in the last minutes. Varsity taking the field.

Q1 St Mary's 6-0 CN bad snap on conversion 10:01 Q1

80 yard drive. St Mary's line and speed a problem on first drive.Aponte QB sneaked it for a long TD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT