ADVERTISEMENT

The north (Pittsburg) should remember!

kriart

Sports Fanatic
Nov 22, 2003
Next stop for Pitt is the Corona CenTen. I believe they've played them 3 times? All in the loss-side of the table. CenTen played Orange Lutheran lastfriday initially slow at first as Orange L scored 2 TDs first and went on to lead 21-10 by 2Q. The 2nd half was hugely reversed as CenTen finished off OL with alopsided 58-27 I believe. You see these guys have tremendous tenacity to come back in 2nd half. They dont lose focus on the win. Same thing in last year's State Div 1 finals, Pitt lead over Narbonne 21-0 in 1st half only to be reversed in 2nd half as Pitt lost their focus and the LA team gave them all they've got inthe 2nd half to win the State title. I dont blame one poster here when he says Pitt tends to lose focus in 2nd half and gives the win away. Galli and the boys must learn from these experiences. Is it lack of focus or determination to win, or just inadequate conditioning to last all th way? The strategy to score early and by a lot and then defend the margin is a sound one but please focus and playcall smartly for the win! Remember this is game 4 ? of the series and CenTen just moved up to #4 in State top 25 and Pitt is #25 accdg to Calhisports who has a very SS bias. The North can give it to them! Let's do it, guys and God bless!

Pitt has what they say in boxing a punchers chance in this one. Which is basically a term that's used to drum up interest when a opponent has no chance. If Pitt is who they say they are which is a top 5 NorCal team this game will highlight how far the North and south are apart.

Next stop for Pitt is the Corona CenTen. I believe they've played them 3 times? All in the loss-side of the table. CenTen played Orange Lutheran lastfriday initially slow at first as Orange L scored 2 TDs first and went on to lead 21-10 by 2Q. The 2nd half was hugely reversed as CenTen finished off OL with alopsided 58-27 I believe. You see these guys have tremendous tenacity to come back in 2nd half. They dont lose focus on the win. Same thing in last year's State Div 1 finals, Pitt lead over Narbonne 21-0 in 1st half only to be reversed in 2nd half as Pitt lost their focus and the LA team gave them all they've got inthe 2nd half to win the State title. I dont blame one poster here when he says Pitt tends to lose focus in 2nd half and gives the win away. Galli and the boys must learn from these experiences. Is it lack of focus or determination to win, or just inadequate conditioning to last all th way? The strategy to score early and by a lot and then defend the margin is a sound one but please focus and playcall smartly for the win! Remember this is game 4 ? of the series and CenTen just moved up to #4 in State top 25 and Pitt is #25 accdg to Calhisports who has a very SS bias. The North can give it to them! Let's do it, guys and God bless!
I think Pitts defense is a little better this year, but they can’t trade scores with Centennial.Huskies are just too explosive. They’re better than anyone in the North, including DLS.I just want to see Pitt play hard and compete for 4 quarters.

I think Pitts defense is a little better this year, but they can’t trade scores with Centennial.Huskies are just too explosive. They’re better than anyone in the North, including DLS.I just want to see Pitt play hard and compete for 4 quarters.
Pitt. had 100 yards in Penalities against St. Mary's, but it didn't hurt them, but they can't afford 100 yards of penalities against the Huskies...most were 15yarders by #74, this has to be fixed...

Pitt. had 100 yards in Penalities against St. Mary's, but it didn't hurt them, but they can't afford 100 yards of penalities against the Huskies...most were 15yarders by #74, this has to be fixed...

Actually the final was 45-28 with Centennial dominating the second half 35-7.Centennials front 7 is much improved this season with two dominant DE.WR Bryant is a typical huskies wideout.Lots of speed hard to corral in the open field.The running backs are typical Centennial skat backs small and run hard down hill

Pitt has what they say in boxing a punchers chance in this one. Which is basically a term that's used to drum up interest when a opponent has no chance. If Pitt is who they say they are which is a top 5 NorCal team this game will highlight how far the North and south are apart.

Although I’m pulling for Pitt, I’m afraid this post might be spot on. Go Pirates!

Bigger, stouter and swifter teams had been beaten before, one just needs to outsmart them in the field. One cardinal rule is knowing the enemy, do what we call in business a SWOT analysis; know their strenghts and weaknesses, and identify opportunities and threats. Study opponents hard, view videos, plan strategies and test them, and practice, practice, practice! Thats what the smaller DLS does and they usually win. Just think and play smarter and harder! CenTen also loses; they dont always win! Debunk that myth about the South!

Reactions: concrete17
They’re better than anyone in the North, including DLS.

Not sure I agree with this statement. DLS runs the perfect Offense not only for HS football but for keeping games close. Their defense is pretty darn good and that offense grinds on teams. Everybody loves the wide open passing game but reality in HS is about player turnover. With 4 years max for player availability DLS veer etc is much easier to teach maintain and find athletes for than the more technical spread offenses. It also helps with ball control clock and management. They are a tough out for most anybody.

The last four years these are the teams that have beaten Centennial

IMG x2
SJB x2
DLS x2
BG
MD

They don’t usually lose to teams they are supposed to beat.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Centennial is loaded this year. I think DLS & Folsom would keep it within 3 scores though. But they beat both teams. Pitt will play tough but I don't see them lasting into the 2nd half.

Centennial is loaded this year. I think DLS & Folsom would keep it within 3 scores though. But they beat both teams. Pitt will play tough but I don't see them lasting into the 2nd half.

I see DLS as a true pick em if they play. Folsom and Pitt are a level below and probably both get blown out, 3 score minimum.

Not sure I agree with this statement. DLS runs the perfect Offense not only for HS football but for keeping games close. Their defense is pretty darn good and that offense grinds on teams. Everybody loves the wide open passing game but reality in HS is about player turnover. With 4 years max for player availability DLS veer etc is much easier to teach maintain and find athletes for than the more technical spread offenses. It also helps with ball control clock and management. They are a tough out for most anybody.
Agree about DLS’s system, but right now Centennial has too much skill position talent and quick strike capabilities. They seem to be able to score from anywhere on the field. I understand that they are breaking in a new QB, and have some other new starters,but they are a reloading program at this point.Seems like they are a team that forces a defense to defend the entire field,putting a lot of pressure to make tackles and defend in space. A better version of Folsom in my opinion

Reactions: RedZone90

I don’t see it that way.People think Centennial runs off the pass but in reality it’s the dive that propels everything else they do on offense.DLS shuts that down usually and controls tempo.Folsom would be a tough out as well because their line play is improved.
Centennial will do what they do even playing two QB like they are this year.They are slightly less explosive this year but their D is better.I don’t think Pitt could improve as much as they had to in one year to win this game

I don't think Folsom would fair well at all. Personally I think people are putting to much stock in the Folsom DLS game around here. Reality to is it was first game of the season and DLS is not known to be fast out the gate. DLS was also starting a sophomore QB in a huge game where all things considered he played OK. If those two teams played again down the road I would expect DLS by a wide margin as it was it should have been by at least 3 scores in week 1. DLS play CC like that in week 1 that get stomped, they play them in week 15/16 it's a much closer game that's a pick em.

I just don't see a way Folsom competes with the top 5 or so teams from the south. They struggled with Helix for crying out loud. Hats off to Folsom for the game 1 performance they faired better than expected but they aren't on the same page with CC, SJB, etc.........

I don't think Folsom would fair well at all. Personally I think people are putting to much stock in the Folsom DLS game around here. Reality to is it was first game of the season and DLS is not known to be fast out the gate. DLS was also starting a sophomore QB in a huge game where all things considered he played OK. If those two teams played again down the road I would expect DLS by a wide margin as it was it should have been by at least 3 scores in week 1. DLS play CC like that in week 1 that get stomped, they play them in week 15/16 it's a much closer game that's a pick em.

I just don't see a way Folsom competes with the top 5 or so teams from the south. They struggled with Helix for crying out loud. Hats off to Folsom for the game 1 performance they faired better than expected but they aren't on the same page with CC, SJB, etc.........

I believe Folsom Coaches did these kids a disservice by not getting them big game experience last year against elite competition. If they had I think they beat DLS this year.These kind of games are run of the mill for DLS and it showed when both teams realized they would have to grind out a win.Folsom kinda hung their heads at the end of the 3rd quarter while DLS was in their element

I believe Folsom Coaches did these kids a disservice by not getting them big game experience last year against elite competition.

I agree 100%. They also didn't help themselves as coaches and it showed in the play calling. I'm dead serious in stating I don't think that team hangs with Socals top teams. In fact drop them in the souths playoff bracket of elite's I don't think they make it out of first round. I don't care what their rank is, ranks mean nothing in all reality.

I don’t see it that way.People think Centennial runs off the pass but in reality it’s the dive that propels everything else they do on offense.

Exactly right. Under Logan, CC has always been a run-first spread attack. The space they create with the splits combined with the smallish, lightning quick backs they've featured over the years has made their inside rush attack arguably second to none. As soon as a defense tries to shut it down, they hit you with the passing game and the QB read option.

Over the past 10 seasons, CC has ended the season with more rushing yardage than passing yardage 7 times. They are a rush 1st team. Barrinton Collins, Romello Goodman, Tre Watson, JJ Taylor, Miles Reed. The list goes on.

Perhaps not so oddly, Folsom's offense has become more dynamic once they started doing similar things with Tre Green and now Daniyel Ngata. I even saw them employ the wide splits against DLS a time or two. If they get it down like CC has, they could easily be the NorCal's version of the Huskies.

I believe Folsom Coaches did these kids a disservice by not getting them big game experience last year against elite competition. If they had I think they beat DLS this year.These kind of games are run of the mill for DLS and it showed when both teams realized they would have to grind out a win.Folsom kinda hung their heads at the end of the 3rd quarter while DLS was in their element

Completely disagree with you on this and stated why in another thread when someone else said the same thing. The only area previous big game experience was a factor was with coaching -- preparation and in-game adjustments. DLS has that in spades over Folsom. I'm not knocking Coach Richardson and his staff or labeling them as subpar, but rather acknowledging that they don't have the same resume as Alumbaugh, Eidson and Lad when it comes to coaching in big, pressure packed games and against the elite of the elite. That's all.

But from a player perspective this DLS team was no more experienced than Folsom. QB Dorian Hale was making his 1st start at the Varsity level and numerous other starters/key reserves didn't get a ton of playing time in prior years. In 2016 and 2017, DLS really only played 3 marquee games against St. John Bosco, Bishop Gorman, and Mater Dei. They weren't competitive in any of them. The rest of their games were on par with what Folsom dealt with in their 2016/2017 postseasons and State title run.

3 blowouts against SJB, BG and MD over 2 seasons where only a handful of players on the current roster saw any action doesn't qualify DLS as more experienced or 'battle tested'. It's a fallacy. The current players don't get to piggyback the history and success of the teams from 5, 10 or 20+ years ago.

DLS had an advantage with their coaching staff and defensive line, nothing more. Experience was pretty even.

Last edited:
Completely disagree with you on this and stated why in another thread when someone else said the same thing. The only area previous big game experience was a factor was with coaching -- preparation and in-game adjustments. DLS has that in spades over Folsom.

But from a player perspective this DLS team was no more experienced than Folsom. QB Dorian Hale was making his 1st start at the Varsity level and numerous other starters/key reserves didn't get a ton of playing time in prior years. In 2016 and 2017, DLS really only played 3 marquee games against St. John Bosco, Bishop Gorman, and Mater Dei. They weren't competitive in any of them. The rest of their games were on par with what Folsom dealt with in their 2016/2017 postseasons and State title run.

3 blowouts against SJB, BG and MD over 2 seasons where only a handful of players on the current roster saw any action doesn't qualify DLS as more experienced or 'battle tested'. It's a fallacy. The current players don't get to piggyback the history and success of the teams from 5, 10 or 20+ years ago.

DLS had an advantage with their coaching staff and defensive line nothing more. Experience was pretty even.

Understand your point but these kids being in those situations seeing and for some feeling how hard you have to play and the mental toughness involved with playing those elite teams is valuable down the line IMO

Reactions: aztecpadre
In 2016 and 2017, DLS really only played 3 marquee games against St. John Bosco, Bishop Gorman, and Mater Dei.

Um just off the top of my head they also played St.Johns, Servite, and East so that takes your supposed 3 marquee teams to 6 and we can't give Folsom credit for really any. Unless you want to count CVC for Folsom but then again DLS has smoked them twice over that period. Folsom should have lost against CVC the coach's poor choices cost CV that game.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Um just off the top of my head they also played St.Johns, Servite, and East so that takes your supposed 3 marquee teams to 6 and we can't give Folsom credit for really any.

I did neglect to include St. John's, good catch. That certainly counts. But stop with Servite talk. This isn't 2009. Folsom has better teams on their league schedule. East was certainly a good team, but not SJB or MD good. I suppose I'll give you that omission as well for arguments sake, though I'm not a believer of Utah football being better than top programs in NorCal.

Again, I still circle back to the fact that outside of maybe a couple of seniors, most the current team didn't play or have a role in the 2016 games. So it really comes down to the experience gained last season. Folsom returned a lot more starters than DLS and that was from a team that played in Regional/State games too.

DLS wasn't competitive in 2 of their 4 marquee games. And both teams played Central-Fresno and won by identical margins.

Sorry, you just can't sell me on the idea that the kids lacing it up this season were far more tested with big game experience. The difference, if there is one, is marginal at best.

we can't give Folsom credit for really any.

Now you're being an elitist. While Helix wasn't SJB or MD level elite, they were still the SDS Open Champ and were playing for a large school State title. If you won't give credit for that win, there's no point in continuing with the discussion because that's ridiculous. They also beat the Central Section D1 Champ by the same score DLS did -- in the Regional playoff no less. That's a good win.

Regardless, the discussion wasn't ever about who had better wins in 2016/2017. Of course DLS had a better resume in that regard. The notion I disagreed with is that the kids playing for the Spartans a couple weeks ago having an alleged decided edge in big game experience. They didn't. Regardless of the level of opponent, both teams played in Regional/State games the season before. If you reversed the opponents and Folsom got destroyed by MD and DLS blew out Helix -- It wouldn't have given Folsom the edge because they had faced a much better team. That's part of the point.

Reactions: feedback1
Understand your point but these kids being in those situations seeing and for some feeling how hard you have to play and the mental toughness involved with playing those elite teams is valuable down the line IMO

Agreed, but I just don't believe the difference was enough for it to play a factor. For example, Daniyel Ngata didn't somehow fumble the ball at the goal line because he lacked the same experience as some of the DLS players. He fumbled trying to be aggressive and reach the ball over the line. And Joe Ngata's illegal formation had zero to do with experience either. If anything, he was one of the most experienced players on the field that night -- he just happened to make a mistake at the wrong time. Those two mistakes played the biggest role in the outcome of the game.

If your argument was that player preparation and in-game adjustments led by the DLS coaches was superior to Folsom's and that it played a factor --- I could buy into it. Because it was evident that DLS's defensive scheme and execution kept them in the game when they easily could have been down multiple scores. And it was also evident that DLS made better adjustments coming out of the 0-0 halftime tie. Alumbaugh, Eidson and Lad have worlds more experience preparing for and managing games like this and it also played a factor.

Still, despite all those things, the 2 mistakes by the Ngata brothers played the biggest factors in the game IMO.

Lastly, I'll also point out that Henry To'oto'o fumbled near the goal line and it had nothing to do with experience or lack there of.

Reactions: cashisking18
It's funny. A new name in @What in the just joined last Friday, talking about SoCal stuff and trolling. I was waiting for the second Folsom came up. He tried to disguise it for a while. He couldn't resist for long! Ignore mode another troll goes! I love it!

By the way- (since he can read this and I can't read what he trolls) Folsom could beat ANY team in the south minus the two loaded transfer teams.

Think about this board members: These guys are coming on here stating "your top teams can't hang!" "Hahahaha!"

In reality- They have nearly twice the number or schools and student population than the north has. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo- that means they have an impressive number of TWO. Yes, TWO schools that can legitimately beat our best 3 or so teams (DLS, Folsom, Pitt). Considering the vast more numbers of kids and schools they have, that is NOT impressive. And, get this- The entire TWO teams they can lay claim to, are LOADED WITH TRANSFERS just to get to say this.

I don't know what you guys think- but to me, this isn't all that impressive. One could argue that we are doing A LOT more with less. What does that say about our coaching and our kids? To me, that is impressive.

Fun thought though- Imagine if we had the same transfer culture as SoCal did. Imagine the best from Folsom, DLS, Pitt could all play together. Well, they can. But imagine if they did! That would be crazy. But, I like it the way it is now. We have a god thing going and lots of cool traditions that you don't get down south. They can create new names and troll all they want. But pound for pound- they still aren't better!

Go NorCal!

Last edited:
That certainly counts. But stop with Servite talk.

At the time Servite was a top 50 team in Ca and they are a team that they scheduled. Point of conversation is going out and challenging your team by scheduling quality competition not league opponents that teams must play. Or playoff opponents that again must be played.

In terms of Helix, again not a school they went out and scheduled they just happened to be there. It should also be noted they got boat raced by a D4 Socal school. And no they were in no way the second best team in Socal.

Also note my very first response I talk about coaches not being prepared because they lack big game experience and it showed in play calling etc. And if you don't think being in program that is in big games, challenging themselves by scheduling whoever year after year, and pressure of a tradition to carry on better preps kids for big games wether in game or on sideline. Then I'm not sure what does. While it's easy to point to two mistakes and say it the difference in a game reality is there were many difference making plays, from sacks to turnovers to play calling to just game pressures.

Last edited:
At the time Servite was a top 50 team in Ca and they are a team that they scheduled. Point of conversation is going out and challenging your team by scheduling quality competition not league opponents that teams must play. Or playoff opponents that again must be played.

In terms of Helix, again not a school they went out and scheduled they just happened to be there. It should also be noted they got boat raced by a D4 Socal school. And no they were in no way the second best team in Socal.
1. Servite is irrelevant. Average at best. (by the way- thanks for confirming who you are. You could have at least used your real handle. I was just waiting for you to mention Folsom and reveal yourself)

2. Nobody cares about Helix. If you want to stop talking about these schools, then fix your playoff system and stop sending San Diego schools to the D1 game to get boat raced, while the other teams that should be there are sitting at home.

To the board- just put these clowns on ignore. It is literally like 2-3 posters creating new names and trolling. They offer nothing. Ignore. I was waiting for confirmation. Just got it. So funny!

Last edited:
Reactions: WWHS44
1. Servite is irrelevant. Average at best. (by the way- thanks for confirming who you are. You could have at least used your real handle. I was just waiting for you to mention Folsom and reveal yourself)

2. Nobody cares about Helix. If you want to stop talking about these schools, then fix your playoff system and stop sending San Diego schools to the D1 game to get boat raced, while the other teams that should be there are sitting at home.

To the board- just put these clowns on ignore. It is literally like 2-3 posters creating new names and trolling. They offer nothing. Ignore. I was waiting for confirmation. Just got it. So funny!

There is a real football discussion going on between knowledgeable California posters and this irritates you??? Why? Because you can’t join in ? So you start with the only thing you know ....trolling SMH.

It is so great discovering the ignore button! You can see people have posted, but no who, and not what they say! GLORIOUS!

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo- that means they have an impressive number of TWO. Yes, TWO schools that can legitimately beat our best 3 or so teams (DLS, Folsom, Pitt).

Go NorCal!

Only two teams in So Cal can beat the three teams you named? Ummm...Corona Centennial beat Pitt 63-21 last year. It was 28-0 after the 1st quarter. I think you could at least include Cen10 .

Only two teams in So Cal can beat the three teams you named? Ummm...Corona Centennial beat Pitt 63-21 last year. It was 28-0 after the 1st quarter. I think you could at least include Cen10 .
Sure. So that's an entire 3 in ALL of SoCal? And that's with transfer train teams. Sorry but that isnt impressive whatsoever.

Bosco, Mater Dei and Centennial have certainly separated themselves from the pack in the SS due to not only elite play, but their consistency.

However, there are lots of other really good programs down South. The teams just tend to rotate every couple of years. But in a given year, whatever teams prove to be really good can beat anyone in the State except for the South's big 3 (and DLS) most times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT