ADVERTISEMENT

Uncertainty with Roseville football

No offense to Cunha, who has been the HC since 1992, but Roseville HS would be much better off if Coach Cat was the permanent HC. That program would flourish -- assuming, of course, he stayed put for a while.

Reactions: FBAddict
That program would flourish -- assuming, of course, he stayed put for a while.
That's a big assumption for his part!!!! Great coach but lacks the long-term stability his dad had with Los Gatos.

I'll make a general statement about public school programs like Los Gatos. Leave the parochials out of the discussion because that is a different situation.

Schools like Los Gatos and a few other public schools like Hollister, Wilcox, Salinas, have genuine community/admin support and take an intentional approach to winning in all sports. It's not by accident, there is a tradition, and there is accountability from the community that makes it's way to the principal and even the superintendent. They don't win by accident it's the whole village working towards a stated and defined goal. Similar to parochial but without some of the advantages that those schools enjoy. That's a discussion for another day. You also find this to a degree in Clovis and a few other places.

Then there are other public schools where the coach and his staff drive the whole train. Admin may be aloof at best, obstructionist at worst. Community well meaning but don't understand what it takes to win. These are your Cattolico era PG and Sheldon teams and a handful of peninsula programs where the HC and his staff put the program on their back IN SPITE of the people in the building and maybe the community at large. This doesn't end up in the paper, nobody hears or sees this. But bet you what, if the HC leaves you see the lack of infrastructure quickly. Case in point is PG and I can give many other examples.

Joe has done an excellent job at his stops. I am sure he would have stayed at PG if they had come close to matching his work ethic and enthusiasm (they did not.) The situation at PG or Sheldon compared to Los Gatos does not make sense, in my opinion which matters little!

I don't see any uncertainty with the new Roseville coaching staff. Administration made a decision and the majority of the time if not all, it never gets overturned. Joe's staff will weather the storm in year 1 and build a solid program for the future. Although rare nowadays for HS head coaches, I hope he's in for the long haul.

Believe me, I wish more than anyone to find the long term stability my dad had at Los Gatos. Without boring anyone with details it is trickier than one might think...
Thank you, Joe, for your reply. As your post implies, there is probably a lot I don't understand to have a long term coaching relationship with a school. Your dad, Butch, was/is a great coach, finding himself among top tier of coaches in the state. You obviously learned a lot from him. Wishing for great success in your coaching career.

Reactions: bella123
Thank you FBAddict! I appreciate it! I can say that I have enjoyed all the places I have been and that I have great friends and memories from every one of them!
Great to hear this Coach, that is what it is all about! Helping the young men in HS find their way while making great friends in coaching, players (as they grow older) and perhaps some parents must be rewarding.

Reactions: bella123
I don't see any uncertainty with the new Roseville coaching staff. Administration made a decision and the majority of the time if not all, it never gets overturned. Joe's staff will weather the storm in year 1 and build a solid program for the future. Although rare nowadays for HS head coaches, I hope he's in for the long haul.
After reading the Sac Bee article, this is a very interesting situation. To be honest, a one of a kind like situation. Two solid and well respected long term head coaches in the Sacramento region. Though one is well respected in the Peninsula as well. One owns a 5-1 head to head record over the other one. This was during the time when Roseville played Pleasant Grove. The son of one of the coaches which was helping the team during the spring left the program upset. That's a sign that tells me the two head coaches may not co-exist in the future. As a matter of fact, I'll go on record and say they won't. That said, if they were to co-exist I believe the Roseville program would be a power in the SJS. Wish both coaches the best and the sky is still blue. "Don't Stop Believin" Journey

Believe me, I wish more than anyone to find the long term stability my dad had at Los Gatos. Without boring anyone with details it is trickier than one might think...

Well, if an administrative board wanted to ensure a long run of football success at their school, they'd be sure to do what's necessary to make sure you're taken care of and not unhappy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT