ADVERTISEMENT

Vance Walberg takes Fresno State job

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
I know he has a lot of non HS coaching experience but I like when schools hire a successful local HS coach.

Also opens up a big HS job

Good for Coach Walberg! What other high school boys jobs are open this year? Think there was a thread on this on the girls side.

I know he has a lot of non HS coaching experience but I like when schools hire a successful local HS coach.

Also opens up a big HS job
He is going to have to be flexible with running his system. He tried it at Pepperdine and it was a complete debacle.

He is going to have to be flexible with running his system. He tried it at Pepperdine and it was a complete debacle.
Poor hire for this level of play - he is an assistant or low low low end div 1 coach and bandaid at that. Fresno ad must be desperate or not into taking much risk. Sorry Fresno you might want to look into Clovis high school tickets

Poor hire for this level of play - he is an assistant or low low low end div 1 coach and bandaid at that. Fresno ad must be desperate or not into taking much risk. Sorry Fresno you might want to look into Clovis high school tickets
it was probably about getting fans to show up. save mart center is a nice facility and nobody goes to the games. vance is legendary at the high school and JC level in fresno. but you wont win many games with kids from 559 area code alone.

it was probably about getting fans to show up. save mart center is a nice facility and nobody goes to the games. vance is legendary at the high school and JC level in fresno. but you wont win many games with kids from 559 area code alone.
I will give coach Walberg some decency on the hiring of Welch longtime assistant recently Kentucky. Bottom line you need Program builders. People that can motivate and turn maybes into yesss. Coaches that can explore and see opportunities that others are not able to do so. There is no other path with a school like Fresno and its quest to get to the promise land “dance”. These kind of people are rare but it’s not gonna be done with a 67 year-old sorry. Just not enough energy and desire .

Be great so see former Ashmore player take over from the community.
Have things changed a lot regarding the type of kids available to Newark? Because Ashmore had them running as one of the top teams in NorCal almost annually up until the last few years of his tenure. Quite a job looking back at it

He has been on nba benches for many many years. He knows the game extremely well and could succeed. If he sticks to dribble drive and full court press it will be a disaster like it was at Pepperdine.

He has been on nba benches for many many years. He knows the game extremely well and could succeed. If he sticks to dribble drive and full court press it will be a disaster like it was at Pepperdine.
Too many questions to be answered for the on NBA benches for many years to be a Program changer . Can he spot somewhat hidden talent? Can he convince them to come on board? Can he get others to embrace adversity ?

Let’s face it some of your best coaches these days are flat out amazing business men, strong risk takers and pattern driven

Last edited:
Have things changed a lot regarding the type of kids available to Newark? Because Ashmore had them running as one of the top teams in NorCal almost annually up until the last few years of his tenure. Quite a job looking back at it
looking at the team the last 2 years. it def looks different. no height or skill

Moreau is a huge factor in pulling key players from that area now. Talent pool alone from San Leandro to Newark not even close to what it was 10 years ago.

Reactions: Streak One
Enrollment overall is way down from over 2000 15 years ago to just over 1400 now. Hasn't hurt the boys soccer team, they just won a NorCal championship.

I heard from a reliable source that Miramonte's new AD wanted his own guys coaching... fired at least boys hoop and football.

Reactions: myko98
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT