ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 - Week 1: SI vs Bells, Serra vs VC Previews

So which is it Ted. Do you save your venom for fans or kids?

Your words....own it.

@PurpleHaze Riordan is a better team because they have speed and talent with what appears to be very good defensive coaching. That's why despite going for just one first down in the first half they were winning in the fourth quarter against what is a very WCAL average SF team. But 0-4 is 0-4. The players have now had to endure almost identical back-to-back Head Coaches with Sacred Heart football coaching roots and similar historical won/loss records. Why did Riordan think those guys would be more successful at Riordan than they were at their previous schools? Words of wisdom for Riordan when picking their next football coach: STAY AWAY FROM ANY SHC FORMER OR CURRENT COACHES!

Originally posted by PurpleHaze13:
So which is it Ted. Do you save your venom for fans or kids?

Your words....own it.
I take it, you didn't breast feed as a baby...

As I said before, you moron, I was responding to a direct quote/comment made about bring up 2 soph linemen whom I saw with my very own eyes as less-than-talented frosh (to be PC about it). To prove a point and provide specifics on why they weren't qualified to be Varsity linemen, those 2 cream puffs became collateral damage...in the line of fire...

If I really despised Riordan as a school or athletic program, why wouldn't I post in other forums or tell other folks, word of mouth, that they sucked???

Originally posted by Rmbr26:
PurpleHaze - I can answer your post without having to spend time thinking about it. Nothing I said in the above post is not accurate.
In several posts I gave props to both SHC & Riordan for games well played, but the fact of the matter is both teams did lose the games. Both Mitty & SF suffered unexpected losses early in pre-season and many fans are questioning if these teams are as good as expected. Until that time when SHC & Riordan beat a team other than each other in league they remain at the lower tier of the WCAL. I understand your excitement of Riordan having a close game vs St. Francis and personally I would have liked to see the Crusader's get the upset win. Any predictions PurpleHaze as to this week's game: Riordan vs SHC? Can the Crusader's turn back the Irish once again? While I picked Riordan pre-season to win this game SHC looked very good vs Mitty.
You did give props for being "improved" while the teams they've played are suddenly "not as good as we thought." That sounds like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Yes, both teams lost. Yes, this is not the time for moral victories. Believe me, i'm not at all excited about a team that is 0-4. It's maddeningly frustrating.

What I take issue with is the, now 4 week running, dialogue that the teams whom Riordan plays close are suddenly not that good. Riordan has consistently surprised prognositcators (yourself included). Then in an effort to save face for grossly underestimating Riordan, begin to attack the opponent, and in one instance, the WCAL as a whole.

If you look purely at the record, there is little difference between this year's Riordan team and those of the past 5-6 years. But i guarantee you, coaches around the league are taking notice. Riordan is no longer a second bye week on the schedule. Riordan is closing the gap by their level of play rather than a regression on the part of the teams they play. There's a world of difference in that distinction.
I'm not sure that you are reading Rmbr26's posts in the right context or at least I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I agree with you that Riordan is a much better team this year and I see them even getting better as the season goes on. Riordan is going in the direction and as a WCAL fan I am glad to see it.

On the other hand I think that both you and Rmbr26 can be right at the same time. I watched the SF/Riordan game and have seen SF play twice this year. So while I saw a huge improvement in Riordan over that last several seasons, its also true that SF is well down from the last two years.

This post was edited on 10/6 11:46 AM by WCAL75

Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons.

OR....

I AM AN EXTREMELY PROUD NORCALPREPS.COM MESSAGE BOARD FANS OF RIORDAN HATER...There's a difference, you know...and I thought I made this clear on numerous occasions...

Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons.

OR....

I AM AN EXTREMELY PROUD NORCALPREPS.COM MESSAGE BOARD FANS OF RIORDAN HATER...There's a difference, you know...and I thought I made this clear on numerous occasions...
Perhaps this video will sum up this discussion..

This post was edited on 10/6 11:45 AM by TedSmithers

VIDEO LINK

I remember the last time somebody got caught lying and tripped all over himself. You're in good company Ted.

Video Link

I have to agree with you FUBO! Nepotism was alive and well @ Riordan when Lee was hired.
Originally posted by FUBO:
Words of wisdom for Riordan when picking their next football coach: STAY AWAY FROM ANY SHC FORMER OR CURRENT COACHES!

Re: WCAL 2014 - Opening week of WCAL League Play

My week 1 WCAL Predictions:
Archbishop Mitty 28 - Sacred Heart Cathedral 10
"I don't think Sheppard will be much of a factor in this so SHC will have to go to the air."
Junipero Serra 21 - Valley Christian 31
"Why is everyone anxiously waiting for Bishop to play? I think the Serra's starting QB is managing the team well."
Archbishop Riordan 7 - St Francis 21
"If Riordan gets ahead by the 3rd, it would spell trouble for SF."
Bellarmine 24 - St Ignatius 28
"SI had a darn good battle tested preseason and they will pull it out in another close game."

Results:
AM 33 - SHC 27

Way off LOL! Sheppard going wild for 300+.
JS 24 - VC 10
VC is now a mystery. Looks like Walsh is starting Bishop next week
AR 23 - SF 25
AR went up front in the 3rd, All-League Quinn only has one arm but used his leg to win.
Bells 31 - SI 28
Oh so close. SI had a TD pass near the end to win but WR couldn't come up with it.

Seems like people are talking about next years crops so here are the results over the weekend if interested. Stats from Maxpreps
JV: AM 40 - SHC 20
FR: AM 22 - SHC 20
JV: JS 0 - VC 49
FR: JS 7 - VC 8
JV: AR 0 - SF 28
FR: AR 7 - SF 35
JV: Bells 34 - SI 0
FR: Bells 30 - SI 0
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Week 2 WCAL League Predictions:

Archbishop Mitty 20 - Saint Francis 17
Both teams will be pumped for this game. Last years game was a thriller and I think it will be the same. This could be a low scoring defensive battle. Mitty's special team play has been excellent and it may come down to this. A pick 6, a muffed punt, a KO/PR TD, OR a blocked FG will be the deciding factor.

Bellarmine 28 - Valley Christian 31
Valley is a mystery at this point. Maybe they read so many articles how good they are and how they will eventually become WCAL Champions but somehow they forgot to play like one. Maybe the loss of LB and Captain Osuna had an effect. But it's do or die for them so I'm picking them...again...to win.

Sacred Heart Cathedral 28 - Riordan 17
SHC and Riordan gave Mitty and SF a good run for their money. At least one City school will win a league game this week. SHC has a seasoned QB in White which is why they will win. Riordan needs to improve on passing and it looks like the JR will start who is a great scrambler. Good game to watch. Will it be streamed?

Serra 35 - St Ignatius 24
This could be a high scoring game. But Bishop starting could slow things a bit for Serra since its his first game. If SI can rattle bishop early, it may work out for them to keep things close and maybe get a win. But SI also needs to contend with Serra's D which is the best in League.

Good luck Teams!

I remember the last time somebody got caught lying and tripped all over himself. You're in good company Ted.
Absolutely remarkable...Do you understand the context of the situation???...How the hell was I lying??? I did not deny calling those soph linemen cream puffs or morons when responding to some glorious statement that you guys had 2 stud soph o-linemen who were moved up to varsity...

Let me break it down for you simpleton. When you say....

"I AM AN EXTREMELY PROUD NORCALPREPS.COM MESSAGE BOARD FANS OF RIORDAN HATER...There's a difference, you know...and I thought I made this clear on numerous occasions..."

You're saying that you reserve your disparaging remarks for Riordan fans, and then say....

"Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons."

That's a lie.

@ PurpleHaze What would you call it if in August a Riordan fan claimed on this board that the coaching staff had prepared the players so well and at a high level not seen in years......... that it would be the players fault if they didn't do well?

My Week 2 picks:

Archbishop Mitty 28 - St. Francis 20
SF in a slight down year as it is lacking game breakers/team speed from seasons past. That will be the difference in this game. Surprised that Toki was really not a factor against Riordan's jr. lineman and overall D had trouble dealing with Riordan's speed. Will be interesting to see how Dakari Monroe does against SF D.

Valley Christian 28 - Bellarmine 24
VC's backs against the wall and will figure out a way to defeat the Bells at home. Game will be decided by a key turnover and could easily go to the Bells as they have been executing very well this season.

Serra 42 - SI 21
Is this is a homecoming game for the Padres as this is a night game? Padres will be fired up for this game as they hold SI as a bitter rival (at least that what Tom Brady said. Lol!) Hunter Bishop's ability to pass and scramble and Serra's fast attacking D will be the difference in this game.

Riordan 28 - SHC 21
O/D Line play will be the deciding factor in this game as I believe Riordan's is more battle tested and healthier than SHC's at this time. If Gen Lee (and that's a big IF! Lol!) starts Luavasa, opens up the Offensive playbook, uses his best combination of players (I.e. a rotation of Caston, Sanders and Green with Novello at times at RB) and getting Verba-Hamilton /McAfee/Sanders in space by using bubble screens, fly sweeps, coming out of the backfield or from the slot - this could offset the beast - Williams-Sheppard. Ronan Murphy should be used more as I was very impressed by him when SHC blasted the Crusaders last season on JVs. Logan White should look to throw more downfield if they want to take off the pressure of the Crusaders stacking the box. That heavy damp air may hinder kickoffs allowing Sanders and Verba-Hamilton KO opportunities. SF Warrior renunion of sorts, too that includes Sanders, Caston, Verba-Hamilton, Mavega, Payton, Tofi, Novello, Luavasa, Plantz, Orlando,, Kaulave, vs Sheppard-Williams, White and Ismael. Did I mention Lee coached at SHC for many years and Peralta coached Riordan to its 2000 WCAL title? Lol! Looking forward to that clam chowder in a bread bowl, Irish Cheers! Lol! Should be a good one!

Originally posted by HSS75:

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Week 2 WCAL League Predictions:

Archbishop Mitty 20 - Saint Francis 17
Both teams will be pumped for this game. Last years game was a thriller and I think it will be the same. This could be a low scoring defensive battle. Mitty's special team play has been excellent and it may come down to this. A pick 6, a muffed punt, a KO/PR TD, OR a blocked FG will be the deciding factor.

Bellarmine 28 - Valley Christian 31
Valley is a mystery at this point. Maybe they read so many articles how good they are and how they will eventually become WCAL Champions but somehow they forgot to play like one. Maybe the loss of LB and Captain Osuna had an effect. But it's do or die for them so I'm picking them...again...to win.

Sacred Heart Cathedral 28 - Riordan 17
SHC and Riordan gave Mitty and SF a good run for their money. At least one City school will win a league game this week. SHC has a seasoned QB in White which is why they will win. Riordan needs to improve on passing and it looks like the JR will start who is a great scrambler. Good game to watch. Will it be streamed?

Serra 35 - St Ignatius 24
This could be a high scoring game. But Bishop starting could slow things a bit for Serra since its his first game. If SI can rattle bishop early, it may work out for them to keep things close and maybe get a win. But SI also needs to contend with Serra's D which is the best in League.

Good luck Teams!

Wow - the board has suddenly lit up with predictions and posts about upcoming games which are great reads!

Some great upcoming games and would be curious to hear from any of the Valley Christian fans who said this was their year - where did they all go?? Should be an epic battle & although Bells 4-0 some fans already going with VC. I will say that definitely this game will define VC's season - one way or another - the Johnson's & Mike Machado need to step it up big time along with the O'line. Can they prevent the Bell's McCauley & Guttadaro from running wild like they did against SI? VC unlike SI must stick to outside containment to prevent the long untouched TD's these 2 RB's scored in bringing down the Wildcats.

Looking forward to posting my pre-game's and predictions of the upcoming games.

This post was edited on 10/6 8:22 PM by PurpleHaze13

This post was edited on 10/6 8:33 PM by PurpleHaze13

ctgtv.jpg

This post was edited on 10/6 8:52 PM by PurpleHaze13

Week 2 Picks

VC vs Bells
As stated above its do or die time for VC. Whether the hype got to them or whaever the case may be, its time to step it up more than a notch. Johnson was held to just 46 yards rushing and the other Johnson just one catch. This just goes to show it doesn't matter how much talent you have, you still have to execute and perform at a high level to win a game in this league. The Bells have looked pretty sharp and are looking to show people that they are the real deal also. I still question their high ranking, but they can prove me wrong with a win over VC on the road. Bells win because I have yet to see VC beat a good team. Bells 24 VC 17.

Serra vs SI
Serra has had a tough schedule which is already paying off with a solid win at VC. Now comes the million dollar question. Will Bishop being inserted in the starting lineup help them or haunt them? They have talented receivers that can make big plays if he can get them the ball, but Serra's will depend on defense to win this game. SI had a great chance to beat the Bells, but just fell short. This matchup and the VC-Bells matchup will tell us how good those two teams really are. I think karma comes back on Walsh for sitting the QB. Bishop will shine soon enough, but not this week and SI pulls the upset. SI 31 Serra 28.

Mitty vs St. Francis
Probably one of the harder games to pick this week due to the inconsistency on both sides of the ball for both teams. SF gets up by 20 against Riordan, and then almost looses the game! Mitty gives up 340 yards to Sheppard, but actually scores alot of points to win the game. Its cliche, but whatever team shows up will win this game. The small edge would have to go to Mitty as they have beaten SF something like 8 years in a row. This should be a defensive battle similar to last year but Mitty's playmaker could be the difference. Mitty 24 SF 17

Riordan vs SHC
Big game in the city for bragging rights and for a team to pick up a WCAL win. This matchup is interesting as both teams took home positives after their two losses. They both are much improved from last year. I watched SHC last week and it looked like the O-Line had a helluva game VS Mitty. Most of Sheppard's run were untouched. Riordan has been solid against the run and will be well aware of what the SHC back did last week. Other than Sheppard I didn't really see any other threats for SHC and the veteran qb didn't look that sharp. So Riordan's game plan should be putting a spy at all times on #5! Most would pick SHC in this one, but i'm gonna go with RIordan as they have more speed and special team threats, and a better defense. Riordan 24 SHC 21.

That was one lame attempt at being funny. Ted should be flattered. I guess it is difficult to be reminded of your pre-season preemptive player bashing. Reality is you chose to put your faith in a coach with a losing WCAL record that gets worse every season.

Rmbr26: I totally agree with your assessment of VC needing to stick to outside containment of the Bell's running game. The Bells on numerous occasions have scored on big explosive outside runs, (which is extremely fun to watch). It also reminds me of the running back for SHP at their last game.

PurpleHaze and Ted, could we please stop with the pics? Gives me the creeps. Let's stick to our animated and passionate discussions.

Re: WCAL 2014 - SHC vs. Riordan - Live Stream -

Originally posted by jordan24:
PurpleHaze and Ted, could we please stop with the pics? Gives me the creeps. Let's stick to our animated and passionate discussions.
Concur with Jordan...

Try this link for streaming. Follow the instructions so you'll get free access for a year. Anybody with spare fog lights?

Also, the streaming will be delayed due to connectivity with the internet at Terra Nova.
This post was edited on 10/10 12:32 PM by Irish_Cheers

SHC TV

"Try this link for streaming. Follow the instructions so you'll get free access for a year."

I think SHC paid for a number of subscriptions for the "SHC Community". not for entire Norcal community. be careful with that link.

Originally posted by ds1968:
Rmbr26: I totally agree with your assessment of VC needing to stick to outside containment of the Bell's running game. The Bells on numerous occasions have scored on big explosive outside runs, (which is extremely fun to watch). It also reminds me of the running back for SHP at their last game.
ds1968: I was surprised watching the SI-Bells game that SI did not seem to make any adjustments for the outside containment of the Bells RB's. I think there were 2 long runs for TD's, another long run brought down short of the goal line and another long break-away for a TD called back on a penalty - so 4 runs to the outside over 50 yards each! If VC can have success stopping the Bells run game like last year they'll have a good shot at knocking them off. If VC gives up the big running plays like SI & VC's stable of very capable RB's has another lackluster day then the Warrior's chances of winning are not good.

Today is monumental...It's PurpleHaze's first attempt at memes...We can now see how much of a sick little monkey he really is...

To curtail such disgusting banter, I will refrain (or limit) my meme's going forward.

Originally posted by HSS75:
"Try this link for streaming. Follow the instructions so you'll get free access for a year."

I think SHC paid for a number of subscriptions for the "SHC Community". not for entire Norcal community. be careful with that link.

I could always double-check with somebody, but it's right there on their website.

According to the SHC website the game will not be streamed live due to the lack of internet connectivity at Terra Nova.

This post was edited on 10/7 1:58 PM by Mr. Direct

Originally posted by Mr. Direct:
According to the SHC website the game will not be streamed live due to the lack of internet connectivity at Terra Nova.

Well that sucks...
sign0094.r191677.gif

I did double-check about the link and they just thanked me for sharing it. Also, the game will be a delayed webcast because of the internet connection.

This post was edited on 10/9 8:29 AM by Irish_Cheers

We may not be able to see the game in the fog anyway. Lol!

That happens at Kezar sometimes too. Once I couldn't see a touchdown pass because of it. I even had binoculars. Weather calls for "mostly cloudy" skies for Friday. We'll see.
This post was edited on 10/8 8:14 AM by Irish_Cheers

I find it interesting that the first couple of pickem peeps think Mitty will score over 28 points against St Francis.

Originally posted by PAL95:
I find it interesting that the first couple of pickem peeps think Mitty will score over 28 points against St Francis.
Riordan did score 22 on them. I'd expect better from Mitty. I think they'll score in the 40's but I kept my Pick 'em prediction a little more conservative.

"Originally posted by PAL95:

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Originally posted by Irish_Cheers
Riordan did score 22 on them. I'd expect better from Mitty. I think they'll score in the 40's but I kept my Pick 'em prediction a little more conservative.
"

St Francis gave up 40 points 4 times in the last 10 1/2 years and 2 of them at the 2008/09 season when they were 3-6-1. I'm sure both Scharrenbergs know each other fairly well....you think?
This post was edited on 10/8 2:02 PM by HSS75

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:
What if Riordan is just better than Mitty?

Riordan has to win a game first and foremost. They have improved, but to question if they are better is a stretch. I dont see Riordan beating Pitt.

@ PurpleHaze "What if Riordan is just better than Mitty?" Only you would even try to throw that out there in a serious manner. 0-4. That means zero wins and four losses. I am now convinced you are a troll.

I saw on the SHC site that the game won't be streamed live but it will be delayed so it can be viewed at home later.

HA! Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:

sign0094.r191677.gif

Originally posted by FUBO:
@ PurpleHaze "What if Riordan is just better than Mitty?" Only you would even try to throw that out there in a serious manner. 0-4. That means zero wins and four losses. I am now convinced you are a troll.
Let's not forget his earlier comparison regarding Riordan having a tougher pre-season schedule than Serra also...

This post was edited on 10/8 12:48 PM by TedSmithers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT