ADVERTISEMENT
1.5 teams that schedule well in WCAL this season. Which is 1.5 times more than it was 10 years ago. Folks that live in a bubble, play in a bubble. WCAL will continue to be weak in my mind until the LEAGUE actually schedules well. In other words, the most over-rated league in California, until proven on the field otherwise.

1.5 teams that schedule well in WCAL this season. Which is 1.5 times more than it was 10 years ago. Folks that live in a bubble, play in a bubble. WCAL will continue to be weak in my mind until the LEAGUE actually schedules well. In other words, the most over-rated league in California, until proven on the field otherwise.
Does anyone have a the WCAL week 1 matchups? Are there any soft matchups on this weeks WCAL schedule?

Fri 08/30 Serra (San Mateo, CA) at Folsom (CA), 7:30pm
Fri 08/30 Mitty (San Jose, CA) vs Logan (Union City, CA) at Foothill College (Los Altos Hills, CA), 7:00pm
Fri 08/30 St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) at Helix (La Mesa, CA), 7:00pm
Fri 08/30 Riordan (San Francisco, CA) at McClymonds (Oakland, CA), 7:00pm
Fri 08/30 St. Ignatius (San Francisco, CA) at San Ramon Valley (Danville, CA), 7:00pm
Fri 08/30 Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm
Fri 08/30 Valley Christian (San Jose, CA) at Wilcox (Santa Clara, CA), 7:00pm
Sat 08/31 Bellarmine (San Jose, CA) at Menlo-Atherton (Atherton, CA), 1:00pm

I'd say Serra's a fairly big underdog
Mitty's a slight favorite
St. Francis is a slight fave
Riordan's a clear fave, tho nobody seems to know why McClymonds is rated so low, might be closer than the ratings say
St. Ignatius will have its hands full with SRV
Sacred Heart should handle Soledad
Valley Christian should handle Wilcox
Bellarmine a slight fave over Menlo-Atherton

I'm mostly going by Calpreps' ratings, so take with a large grain of salt.

Reactions: FBAddict
Thanks Kiddman32, this looks like a good line up as far as I can tell.

Are there any particular non league opponents you’d like to see a WCAL team going up against?

Are there any particular non league opponents you’d like to see a WCAL team going up against?

Would be cool to see the WCAL schedule the trinity league down south for non-league games. I saw people talking about how bad that team is over in Menlo Park since Coach Ravipati left and now they are playing BCP? These private schools should be playing the likes of Bishop Gorman, SJB, and MD if they want to build real football power house programs. Serra loses to those trinity school and now they are scheduling them for pre-season games. Serra has been destroying norcal teams since they have been playing the big dogs. I think those two things are related.

Reactions: THEOC89
I'll be enjoying the SI/SRV game tonite. Its always a treat to watch 6'5, 240 middle LB just dominate on defense.

Well, the score was 7-3 at the half with SRV leading SI before pulling away in the 2nd half to beat SI 28-10.
St. Ignatius QB threw 3 picks which didn't help.
Still proud that SI made SRV play the entire game and that it wasn't the blowout that it was last year.

Well, the score was 7-3 at the half with SRV leading SI before pulling away in the 2nd half to beat SI 28-10.
Still proud that SI made SRV play the entire game and that it wasn't the blowout that it was last year.
Went to this game. SI played them pretty tough. SRV has some really good DBs. All Hummel really had were about a dozen 8 yard corner routes and when SRV figured that out, a DB jumped the route and picked him off. He took a few shots over the top but the SRV safeties read those and picked those off too. Hogan didnt really get going but Marco Jones will do that to you. John Mills was solid. Odhran Kenny is going to make it to the NFL. What a luxury to have a guy that kick a 40yd FG and punt the ball 40 yards!

Watching Jones was like watching Jerry Mixon. Just dominant and made a TD grab too on a nice left corner route with DB drapped all over him. SI will be solid for WCAL play. They just played a way better team tonight.

The 'Cats should get in the win column vs Tam next week. Tam got boat raced by O'Dowd last night 51-13.

We've said it before: The WCAL is better when the Bells are strong. Once again, they aren't. As we speak, they are being taken apart by Menlo-Atherton in a one-sided debacle. The JV's lost as well. Not good. Not good for Bellarmine. Not good for the league. They will no doubt finish in the WCAL's nether regions. Again. The program is a mess, a shell of what it once was. It's not clear at all if the school's administration really cares. Maybe it does. But the results (and the weak rosters) would indicate differently.

Reactions: brad4646
Went to this game. SI played them pretty tough. SRV has some really good DBs. All Hummel really had were about a dozen 8 yard corner routes and when SRV figured that out, a DB jumped the route and picked him off. He took a few shots over the top but the SRV safeties read those and picked those off too. Hogan didnt really get going but Marco Jones will do that to you. John Mills was solid. Odhran Kenny is going to make it to the NFL. What a luxury to have a guy that kick a 40yd FG and punt the ball 40 yards!

Watching Jones was like watching Jerry Mixon. Just dominant and made a TD grab too on a nice left corner route with DB drapped all over him. SI will be solid for WCAL play. They just played a way better team tonight.
Unfortunately, our best offensive player the last 2 years has been our kicker.
Coach Vandermade implemented a new Defense in the off season and I thought it looked great in keeping the game close.
Hogan looked like he didn't want it after seeing Marco Jones on the other side.
Agai
We've said it before: The WCAL is better when the Bells are strong. Once again, they aren't. As we speak, they are being taken apart by Menlo-Atherton in a one-sided debacle. The JV's lost as well. Not good. Not good for Bellarmine. Not good for the league. They will no doubt finish in the WCAL's nether regions. Again. The program is a mess, a shell of what it once was. It's not clear at all if the school's administration really cares. Maybe it does. But the results (and the weak rosters) would indicate differently.
SI torched Menlo-Atherton last week in our scrimmage.

Based on one game played for each of the WCAL's eight teams (and noting strength of opposition), here is a revised prediction: 1. Serra, 6-1 and St. Francis 6-1 (tie); 3. Riordan, 5-2; 4. Valley Christian, 4-3 and St. Ignatius, 4-3 (tie); 6. Mitty, 2-5; 7. SHC, 1-6; 8. Bellarmine, 0-7. Thoughts?

Based on one game played for each of the WCAL's eight teams (and noting strength of opposition), here is a revised prediction: 1. Serra, 6-1 and St. Francis 6-1 (tie); 3. Riordan, 5-2; 4. Valley Christian, 4-3 and St. Ignatius, 4-3 (tie); 6. Mitty, 2-5; 7. SHC, 1-6; 8. Bellarmine, 0-7. Thoughts?
Looks about right. However, only Serra's opponent Folsom was a known Top 3 NorCal team. Still unclear how good (or bad) SF & Riordan opponents, Helix (SoCal) and McClymonds are.

Last edited:
Suggest not be dynamic on this one and stick with your initial preseason prediction. Is the Bellarmine player that got carted off considered their best player? Certainly does not help the Bells cause in proving us armchair quarterbacks wrong.

The one week overreaction analysis says: 1) Serra is still good (just not flush with great talented seniors they had last year), 2) Riordan still cant play defense but as long as you have Mike Mitchell's arm you are never out of it, 3) St. Francis, Valley Christian, and Mitty all looked really good, 4) SI looked ok versus a better team, 5) SH looked great vs a lesser team, and 6) Bellarmine looked really bad.

San Jose Mercury's Predicted Order of Finish:
  1. Riordan
  2. Serra
  3. St. Francis
  4. Valley Christian
  5. St. Ignatius
  6. Bellarmine
  7. Sacred Heart Cathedral
  8. Mitty

1. St. Francis
2. Riordan
3. Serra
4. SI
5. Valley Christian
6. SH
7. Mitty
8. Bellarmine

1. JS (could fall to #3 with a rough season)
2. AR (but a disciplined season could take #1)
3. SF (might garner #2)
4. SI (or #5)
5. VC (or #4)
6. SH
7. AM
8. BCP (could find their way back up the ranks this year)

The various preseason predictions had Serra somewhere between #1 and #3. Based on Friday's performance, Serra probably won't skip a beat and is still the team to best. And it appears Riordan may need some time to get their talent to perform well together. St. Francis is usually good and this year they won't disappoint.

I agree with your new possible ranking. Right now, this is my ranking.

1. Serra - (Their new era system apparently works without lots of proven D1 talent)
2. St. Francis - (Looking to regain their previous clout of being the first NorCal team in the modern era to beat DLS)
3. Riordan - (Their D1 laden team has a lot to prove)
4. St. Ignatius - (Working hard to reclaim the King of SF Football title)
5. Valley Christian - (The old-styled offense doesn't match well with newer systems but their defense keeps the game close)
6. Mitty - (Generally in the middle-of-the-WCAL-pack team that is struggling)
7. Sacred Heart Cathedral - (Has proven they can compete if they have the talent)
7. Bellarmine (Suffering with their school demographics similarly to the two other San Jose schools.)

The conclusion of non-league should paint a clearer picture of the projected top 3 WCAL teams:
Serra: @De La Salle; St. John Bosco
St. Francis: Mack; @De La Salle
Riordan: @St. Bonaventure; @Pitt

Last edited:
The various preseason predictions had Serra somewhere between #1 and #3. Based on Friday's performance, Serra probably won't skip a beat and is still the team to best. And it appears Riordan may need some time to get their talent to perform well together. St. Francis is usually good and this year they won't disappoint.

1. Serra - (Their new era system apparently works without lots of proven D1 talent)
2. St. Francis - (Looking to regain their previous clout of being the first NorCal team in the modern era to beat DLS)
5. Valley Christian - (The old-styled offense doesn't match well with newer systems but their defense keeps the game close)
7. Sacred Heart Cathedral - (Has proven they can compete if they have the talent)
7. Bellarmine (Suffering with their school demographics similarly to the two other San Jose schools.)
@FBAddict,

I truly do see you as one of the few true NorCal FB gurus on these boards. I also think you have captured the tune of the WCAL this year. But as with all great minds as we have seen most recently on the national stage of politics, your memory may have been weakened from So Many years of excellent punditry.

There is not SF City title It is only the “ Kings of Kezar” and by the receipts and factual data,…TheR won that crown of #KingsOfKezar last year and from even your recent projections they will win it again in the 2024 season.

I will project that title stats with TheR at least until 2026,…which will make it a 4peat and closing the door of SHC ever Not being a Cellar Dewellar anytime soon

Last edited:
@FBAddict,

Their is not SF city title If is only the “ Kings of Kezar” and by receipts and factual data,…TheR win the crown of #KingsOfKezar last year and from even your recent projections they will win it again in the 2024 season
I'm sure you know your geography and possibly know of the ancient history of The Kezar. More recent references target the Kezar Stadium which of course was the home of the 49ers and even the Raiders for a season and now is the home stadium for various sports teams including the home field for Sacred Heart Cathedral.

Ancient references tap into the bloodline of the Huns starting with Kozar in approximately 450 AD and continued through approximately 1050 AD when the ruling Kezar (Khazar) family fragmented. We don't want to confuse people to suggest that the King of San Francisco is also the the ancient ruler of the Hun people group. Additionally, we want to clarify that the current day King of Kezar is the best of only three teams - St. Ignatius, Archbishop Riordan and Sacred Heart Cathedral. It bypasses the many other high school football teams in the San Francisco area. It may be easy to suggest that those other teams don't matter but it would be superiorly inappropriate to do so.

So when I say the King of San Francisco, I do mean the best team of the entire San Francisco City area - not just the best of three Catholic School teams in San Francisco.

OR I could have said, "Yeah, you are right." But I think my above answer was far more entertaining!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
I'm sure you know your geography and possibly know of the ancient history of The Kezar. More recent references target the Kezar Stadium which of course was the home of the 49ers and even the Raiders for a season and now is the home stadium for various sports teams including the home field for Sacred Heart Cathedral.

Ancient references tap into the bloodline of the Huns starting with Kozar in approximately 450 AD and continued through approximately 1050 AD when the ruling Kezar (Khazar) family fragmented. We don't want to confuse people to suggest that the King of San Francisco is also the the ancient ruler of the Hun people group. Additionally, we want to clarify that the current day King of Kezar is the best of only three teams - St. Ignatius, Archbishop Riordan and Sacred Heart Cathedral. It bypasses the many other high school football teams in the San Francisco area. It may be easy to suggest that those other teams don't matter but it would be superiorly inappropriate to do so.

So when I say the King of San Francisco, I do mean the best team of the entire San Francisco City area - not just the best of three Catholic School teams in San Francisco.

OR I could have said, "Yeah, you are right." But I think my above answer was far more entertaining!
Haha, entertainment is in the “Eye of the beholder”, correct me if I am wrong on two points,… 1. Did TheR beat both SI & SHC both last year. 2. But in recent days,..their hasn’t been a blind singer in a long time to be entertained by even for you?

But I could be wrong😴😲’

But since this thread was about WCAL,…”Stay on Point”, (your mind is wondering again) & reaching for a SNAP rebuttal and quoting long tooth stories items from Uncle Joe at the kitchen table… looses in poll numbers & articulate discussion🙄🤤🙄🤤

Last edited:
  • Haha
This is a good take…. Who do you think will beat Serra in league?…. I have a hard time seeing them lose to anyone in the WCAL….

I like this!…. I think SF is the next best team, Next to Walsh they have the Best Coach in the WCAL and a ton of returning players…. SF plays a tough Brand of FB….

Next to Serra and DLS, SF has the best opportunity to make the open…. They play DLS along with of Course Serra possibly twice….

Great 1st week analysis FBAddict! We hope to upset a few teams to climb out of that 4th place spot.

i hope i don't get banned for saying this but riordan was one of the biggest disappointments of week 1. they shouldve of been able to handle mcclymonds relatively easily considering that mack barely has enough to players to field a team. even if they have talent that shouldn't be enough to hang with a team as hyped as riordan. they need to improve fast if they want to be a serious contender in the league.

just my two cents sorry if it rubs any won the wrong way.

Reactions: Norcalguy111
Looks about right. However, only Serra's opponent Folsom was a known Top 3 NorCal team. Still unclear how good (or bad) SF & Riordan opponents, Helix (SoCal) and McClymonds are.
san diego teams still run schemes from the 1970's (or earlier) so unless they have an absolutely overwhelming talent majority (helix does not) they will get outschemed every time.

mcclymonds barely has enough people to field a team. i believe they had less than 20 players suited up.

Riordan may have a flaw or two (or three) on the defensive side of the melon, but the Crusaders can definitely score, sometimes a lot. They are dangerous. Very much so.

san diego teams still run schemes from the 1970's (or earlier) so unless they have an absolutely overwhelming talent majority (helix does not) they will get outschemed every time.

mcclymonds barely has enough people to field a team. i believe they had less than 20 players suited up.
You Clearly know nothing about San Diego teams…. They have won 2 out of the Last 3 D1AA SBG’s and didn’t have the most talented teams…. Carlsbad Just had the Top QB recruit in the Country and ran a passing offense….

I saw Mac in person 3 weeks ago at a scrimmage and they have plenty of speed and talent, they will be a difficult game for anyone….

Reactions: jordan24
You Clearly know nothing about San Diego teams…. They have won 2 out of the Last 3 D1AA SBG’s and didn’t have the most talented teams…. Carlsbad Just had the Top QB recruit in the Country and ran a passing offense….

I saw Mac in person 3 weeks ago at a scrimmage and they have plenty of speed and talent, they will be a difficult game for anyone….
with all do respect, i know quite a bit against san diego teams. to literally prove my point, let's talk about those bowl games. lincoln of san diego beat de la salle by literally direct snapping the ball to there manchild running back (now at georgia) and letting him bowl over people. straight out of the 70's like i said.

i agree completely about mcclymonds having speed and talent, but the point still stands that they don't even have enough people to field a team. riordan is being hyped as a team that is supposed to compete with the likes of junipero serra this year. do you think for a second that serra would play a close game against a team with 18 players? as the kids say........boy aint no way boy. you should be able to wear them down and pull away in the second half. riordan couldnt do that which is a massive red flag.

Reactions: Niklas227
with all do respect, i know quite a bit against san diego teams. to literally prove my point, let's talk about those bowl games. lincoln of san diego beat de la salle by literally direct snapping the ball to there manchild running back (now at georgia) and letting him bowl over people. straight out of the 70's like i said.
No, you don’t know anything about San Diego teams and the offenses they run….

2017 Helix vs Folsom…. Helix 32 attempts, Folsom 31 attempts…

2021 So Cal D1AA Regional SDCC vs OLU…. SDCC 22 pass attempts….. That is 3 more then Folsom had (19) in the Nor Cal Regional vs DLS….

2022 SD Open Lincoln vs Carlsbad…. Lincoln 28 Passing attempts….

2023 SD Open Semifinals Lincoln vs Helix…. Lincoln 26 Attempts

2023 Open Final Lincoln vs Granite Hills…. Lincoln 24 Attempts, GH 25 Attempts….

Those are not 60’s/70’s “Antiquated” offenses….

I know you are still hurt from SDCC only throwing 9 passes in the 2021 D1AA SBG and steamrolling “Modern Offensive” team Folsom with 300-400 rushing yards, but what coach in their right mind would stop running the ball when you are destroying a team with the running game and you have an elite D1 level running back?….

That’s not running an outdated offense, that is just smart coaching…. 🤣

Mack’s new qb, Staples, is the real deal. He adds a different dimension with both his arm and legs compared to Mack’s recent run heavy offensive scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT