ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL ALL League

serdaprs

Sports Fanatic
May 6, 2009
Any final word?

I heard that Clark and Mitchell were Co-MVP but have not seen anything else.

Anyone?

Does anyone know if the voting for the All WCALteams was done before or after the CCS Open ?
It is done at the end of the league season, coaches get a ballot to fill out and if I am not mistaken they can’t pick their player first. I believe you could put them second, but not first.

Reactions: WM483
I'm glad WCAL basketball has the decency of keep selections to a minimum. Football practically includes all people who have suited up

Reactions: WM483
Coaches nominate the players from their team. You can not vote for your own player. That is my understanding.
Yes I believe your right. I think they rank them in order but you can not vote for your own player. I know it was something like that. Been out the loop so long, my memory leaves me at times

Can nominate up to 5 players per your team, ranking them 1-5, with 1 being the best. Could, like I would expect in Riordan's case, have Jelani and Bryce 1a and 1b, then next player ranked 3rd.. Then each coach votes for 15 spots. Coaches CANNOT VOTE for any of their players. Top selection gets 15 points, 2nd 14, 3rd 13, etc. Player getting most points is MVP. Next 7 spots 1st team, next 7 2nd team. Any player receiving at least 1 point gets Honorable Mention.

Congrats to all players receiving All-League honors and especially Jelani and Mike Mitchell being named co-MVPs. This year's list is particularly strong. Special shoutout to a young man I had the pleasure to coach a bit over last Summer, Ryan Wilson of Serra. Fantastic Senior year for that young man.
Good luck to all the players as they start NorCals tonight.

Football includes just about anyone with even a faint pulse. That list makes "all WCAL" almost meaningless in the end.

14 All league spots (1st & 2nd team) for 8 teams is reasonable. The EBAL has 11 All league spots (POY + 5 1st & 5 2nd team) for 10 teams, which means not everyone gets a trophy, but it also means the players in those coveted 14 or 11 all league spots have earned it.

I'm glad WCAL basketball has the decency of keep selections to a minimum. Football practically includes all people who have suited up

Comparing apples and oranges. Football contains more than double the players needed to field a team hence the larger amount of players selected.

Comparing apples and oranges. Football contains more than double the players needed to field a team hence the larger amount of players selected.

Not really. The WCAL football all league squad is possibly the largest in the country for just 8 teams. There are 15 POY awards, and another 49 first team all league designations. On top of that, they still have a 24 man second team as well as 40 HM to make sure no one gets left out.

https://www.wcalsports.org/files/133122155.pdf

Not really. The WCAL football all league squad is possibly the largest in the country for just 8 teams. There are 15 POY awards, and another 49 first team all league designations. On top of that, they still have a 24 man second team as well as 40 HM to make sure no one gets left out.

https://www.wcalsports.org/files/133122155.pdf

You realize 3 of the 15 POY. Awards are lower classmen awards for Frosh Soph, Junior players of the year.

Also you realize that all those getting POY are also 1st team players. Your numbers do not take that into consideration.

Basically a basketball roster has 8 to ten players a typical football roster does contain 40 to 45 on a team so that is one for each position and their back up. That is how you select all league for a team right? There are four to five times the amount of participants in football over basketball. So putting that into consideration, they recognize the same percentage amounts if you base it on percentage of participants.

The one thing basketball does not do that football does is vote by position. There are 22 positions in football and basketball has 5. So yes there may be more players selected but like basketball has 5 players per team each coach will get to vote for 35 players. Football I believe has a top 2 or 3 per position per team which means there will be 22 to 33 players per team multiply that by 8 and you have 176 to 264 players in the field.

Also any player getting one point are Honorable mention. So it may see like as large group but given the amount of players on the board, just like in basketball close to the same % amount of players are nominated.

Look at most football all team 1st teams have between 25 and 40 players so it is not all that unusual.

You realize 3 of the 15 POY. Awards are lower classmen awards for Frosh Soph, Junior players of the year.

Also you realize that all those getting POY are also 1st team players. Your numbers do not take that into consideration.

Basically a basketball roster has 8 to ten players a typical football roster does contain 40 to 45 on a team so that is one for each position and their back up. That is how you select all league for a team right? There are four to five times the amount of participants in football over basketball. So putting that into consideration, they recognize the same percentage amounts if you base it on percentage of participants.

The one thing basketball does not do that football does is vote by position. There are 22 positions in football and basketball has 5. So yes there may be more players selected but like basketball has 5 players per team each coach will get to vote for 35 players. Football I believe has a top 2 or 3 per position per team which means there will be 22 to 33 players per team multiply that by 8 and you have 176 to 264 players in the field.

Also any player getting one point are Honorable mention. So it may see like as large group but given the amount of players on the board, just like in basketball close to the same % amount of players are nominated.

Look at most football all team 1st teams have between 25 and 40 players so it is not all that unusual.

The EBAL has 27 1st team selections, and 2 players selected as co-Players of the Year, compared to the WCAL’s 49 1st team selections and (15-3) 12 POYs. The previous poster did have a point.

http://www.theebal.com/uploads/1/0/5/0/105090367/2019_ebal_mountain_football.pdf

Reactions: CityVibesII
Looking at many other football 1st teams many leagues have close between 40 and 50 on all league teams. It is not a rare as you think. Just saying. It is not uncommon given the way the process works. Sorry but most leagues allow nominees for two or three guys given that football positions are WAY different than basketball.

Unlike WCAL, EBAL does not nominate b6 position. Therein lies the difference. When you get a pool of over 200 possible candidates you most likely will get 1/2 onto the honor board through the three categories 1st, 2nd and Honorable mention. Those getting recognized by the WCAL are not gimme votes. They are players ccx who earn it.

Ok I give. Every league should adopt the WCAL football procedures for all league. They obviously like it and it works for them. The point is when someone tells you they or their kid were all league, in some leagues that means they were a starter, and in other leagues it may mean you were actually the best player in the league at your position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT