ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Best game of the nite is SHC vs Live Oak with the SHC Irish being a prohibitive favorite and after leading letting the game slip away from them in the 2nd 1/2. SHC looked to have the better athletes IMO, but to a point undisciplined and an unsportsmanlike penalty late in the game might have cost SHC the game - Irish had just dropped Live OAK QB for a big loss and then a 15-yarder for someone mouthing off from SHC.

OK back to game with a minute left and another 15-yard unsportsmanlike against SHC for player mouthing off at Live Oak player & then official according to announcers [?], costing the Irish another 15-yards and putting the final "nail in the coffin" so to speak. The only thing worse than the SHC loss was listening to the Live Oak announcer who gave new meaning to the term "Homer".

Tough loss for SHC/Will Irons and the Irish fans.

It was worse listening to the Live Oak coaches and sideline since I was handling the clip on the chain. Every play they cried penalty. Biggest whining staff I witnessed all year.

The last personal foul call was ridiculous.You don’t make that call at the end of a game. that reff made bad calls all night. But at the end I still give credit to the Live Oak kids who played their behinds off. Also didn’t help losing our stud MLB Uriah Uliah at the beginning of second half with knee injury.

Reactions: Scott2138
It was worse listening to the Live Oak coaches and sideline since I was handling the clip on the chain. Every play they cried penalty. Biggest whining staff I witnessed all year.

The last personal foul call was ridiculous.You don’t make that call at the end of a game. that reff made bad calls all night. Also didn’t help losing our stud MLB Uriah Uliah at the beginning of second half with knee injury.
There is just no excuse for the nth degree of incompetence (or collusion) of these officials. They blew a 4th down call that would've given us the ball back in the 4th; We'd get a 16 yard run and have it called back. There were block in the back calls missed. They even spotted the ball in the wrong place without measuring on a 4th down. I've been watching since 1973. It continues to boggle my mind what it is they have against Sacred Heart!

Last edited:
- Irish had just dropped Live OAK QB for a big loss and then a 15-yarder for someone mouthing off. The only thing worse than the SHC loss was listening to the Live Oak announcer who gave new meaning to the term "Homer".

What really did it ultimately, was not turning the ball over on downs to the Irish late in the game. Those striped stooges didn't even measure it. It was a pathetic display on many fronts, especially on the officiating and on players who full well know better than to get even more needless penalties. Especially against Dead Oak.

Last edited:

The last personal foul call was ridiculous.You don’t make that call at the end of a game. that reff made bad calls all night. But at the end I still give credit to the Live Oak kids who played their behinds off. Also didn’t help losing our stud MLB Uriah Uliah at the beginning of second half with knee injury.
Reading this morning's SF Chronicle story, it looks like the loss of Uliah had a significant impact as LO went to its run game...I could be wrong? Was Heard still injured? Appeared SHC was moving the ball in the first half...

Reading this morning's SF Chronicle story, it looks like the loss of Uliah had a significant impact as LO went to its run game...I could be wrong? Was Heard still injured? Appeared SHC was moving the ball in the first half...
That's what Rik Fran said. Heard was great. I so wish you saw this game. With good officiating, we win it going away. These striped clowns took the cake. Half Moon Bay may as well start polishing the trophy now. They're lucky they won't have to play us. If 1-5 SH Prep got 300 yards and 26 points on HMB's defense, what do they think SHC's skill players will do?

Last edited:

True Class Rikfran, appreciate your attitude and you got your son there so you feel it 10x more.....at the end of the day, gotta give the other team handshakes.....I can also agree with IC but moving forward you can't really blame the refs, you can only control your own destiny and make the plays. Will Irons said it best, "We didn't finish when we should have." Overall, it was a good season for the Irish definitely, one to enjoy, and to reflect on. The seniors and the team should be proud of themselves because SHC proved they had a potent offense this year and did better than most expected including beating SI which is the SHC Super Bowl. Im not sure if I ever saw this much offense in nearly three decades! Hats off to Barry too because he certainly let Irons air it out and had some new plays. Which is more than I can say for Coach Peralta or Coach Lee. Some of QB Irons' deep passes have to have tied some records or broke them. A couple of weeks ago, If we would have beat Bellarmine the season would have been epic but my sail fell when that didn't materialize. I knew then when we lost to Bellarmine that this team is streaky, especially fumbling the kickoff right off the gate. But looking forward, it was a positive thing moving the Jv's up, some of them performed and contributed well and I have to think it was a invaluable experience playing in these last games this year, setting the foundation next year. Next year, They won't have QB Irons but Im thinking Daly is a pretty good athlete too. He may not have Wills accuracy yet but he will still have RB Heard to show him how to win. Missing this year was Monroe, if he played this year, they would have beat Bellarmine and LO for sure. Next year if he plays and is good as his freshman year, this team could repeat the same success as this year. Heard and him in open space would do some damage. I think next year's Irish O-line will be bigger and stronger from maturity and experience too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Was SHC playing in the open division?
"Open Division III".

And Scott, mistakes would've been overcome easily with competent officiating. I know how it sounds, but it's true. I counted at least four others shouting at the refs and their antics.

Last edited:
Reactions: calm62
This is a delicate subject. But here goes. Fans of the WCAL, for better or worse, tend to suffer from a lack of perspective. They view their favorite league as being, by definition, a step or two above any and all public school athletic leagues. Yes, that can be true in some cases. But certainly not always. So the tendency is to dismiss a football team like Half Moon Bay, something of an outlier, as being inherently inferior without even seeing them in person. Big mistake. The eyeball test, not to mention wins over physically superior teams like Aragon and Menlo-Atherton, is pretty conclusive. With all due respect to SHC, their chances vs. HMB would have been minimal at best. Having seen both units in person, here's an unbiased opinion: HMB comes out on top in just about every category except one. The Cougars don't look like much getting off the bus. They are not a physically imposing group. They don't feature 250-pound linemen or a gaggle of 6-3 wide receivers. They don't have a 220-pound fullback. Division I college recruiters are not camped out at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. But the Cougars are a cohesive, well-prepared unit that bristles with experience, toughness and savvy. They don't beat themselves. They take full advantage of opponents' mistakes. They rarely commit turnovers or major penalties. Their QB, prime running back, kicker and wide receivers are very good. The kicker, a transfer from Menlo School, is a tremendous weapon for them. Defensively, they are solid. Special teams are excellent. And they are a true neighborhood team. Their small varsity roster (maybe 27 guys) comes from local coastal communities. They've been together for a long time. They are senior-dominated and play very well under pressure. HMB led a stout Burlingame team, 21-20, early in the third period Friday and scored 17 straight points to win going away. SHC would have struggled mightily with HMB. An Irish victory would have been a significant upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam007
Colhenry is accurate in his assessment of the 2 teams. In Div III when I saw the 8 teams my thought was "HMB and then everyone else". Looking at the other 7 teams my guess was SHC might have a shot if they played their "A-game" and HMB made some mistakes/turnovers. SHC though this year was a "hot & cold" team beating Mitty, but losing to Bells 34-14. The Mitty win was somewhat diminished as well as the Monarchs lost their last 6 games including to S.I. Towards the end of the SHC -Live Oak game after the 2nd costly "Unsportsmanlike Penalty" for 15 yards my thought was HMB doesn;t make those types of mistakes [and both those 15 yarders were costly game altering miscues by Irish players]. SHC had a highly successful season finishing 4th and hopefully will continue in the same direction next year if they have a quality QB.

I ran the 2 teams through the projected match-up and the computers say HMB wins 42-21 over SHC.

Colhenry is accurate in his assessment of the 2 teams. In Div III when I saw the 8 teams my thought was "HMB and then everyone else". Looking at the other 7 teams my guess was SHC might have a shot if they played their "A-game" and HMB made some mistakes/turnovers. SHC though this year was a "hot & cold" team beating Mitty, but losing to Bells 34-14. The Mitty win was somewhat diminished as well as the Monarchs lost their last 6 games including to S.I. Towards the end of the SHC -Live Oak game after the 2nd costly "Unsportsmanlike Penalty" for 15 yards my thought was HMB doesn;t make those types of mistakes [and both those 15 yarders were costly game altering miscues by Irish players]. SHC had a highly successful season finishing 4th and hopefully will continue in the same direction next year if they have a quality QB.

I ran the 2 teams through the projected match-up and the computers say HMB wins 42-21 over SHC.
Nope. Irish would win with speed and better skill players. Try running the numbers without the blowouts against 11,000th-ranked teams HMB played and see what your result is. Even Prep had 300 passing yards and 26 points on them. I can only imagine how Irons and crew would do.

Re:
But they lost to live oak lol

...and BEAT Live Oak 20-0 the next season. "lol".

Update: WON the CCS D-III, Norcal 4A and STATE 4-A in 2021. ""lol"".

Last edited:
For what it's worth, it's my guess the spread would be between 14 and 20 digits with HMB as the clear favorite. Put SHC in the PAL Bay in 2017 and they probably go 2-4, or at best 3-3, in league play. The PAL Bay was very good this year. The WCAL, overall, was a bit down.

Yes one of the best years in recent memory for PAL Bay with HMB, Aragon & M-A. To put things in perspective here are the current CCS rankings with teams power rankings for PAL & WCAL teams ranked in the Top 25 CCS teams [other than the top 3 WCAL teams].
No one still knows quite how good this HMB team is, but if they roll through Div III we'll have a better idea. Very curious to see how Aragon does with SF as well.

#5 HMB - 40.6
#6 Aragon - 34.1
#8 Menlo-Atherton - 27.0
#10 Mitty - 24.6
#11 Terra Nova - 24.2
#12 Bells - 22.8
#15 Menlo - 20.4
#18 Burlingame
#19 SHC 18.6
#21 S.I. - 17.4

Yes one of the best years in recent memory for PAL Bay with HMB, Aragon & M-A. To put things in perspective here are the current CCS rankings with teams power rankings for PAL & WCAL teams ranked in the Top 25 CCS teams [other than the top 3 WCAL teams].
No one still knows quite how good this HMB team is, but if they roll through Div III we'll have a better idea. Very curious to see how Aragon does with SF as well.

#5 HMB - 40.6
#6 Aragon - 34.1
#8 Menlo-Atherton - 27.0
#10 Mitty - 24.6
#11 Terra Nova - 24.2
#12 Bells - 22.8
#15 Menlo - 20.4
#18 Burlingame
#19 SHC 18.6
#21 S.I. - 17.4

That looks about right. M-A has been a huge disappointment. At least thus far. A shocker over Milpitas would be redemption, however. We'll see.

Nope. Irish would win with speed and better skill players. Try running the numbers without the blowouts against 11,000th-ranked teams HMB played and see what your result is. Even Prep had 300 passing yards and 26 points on them. I can only imagine how Irons and crew would do.

I feel you IC...I feel you...at the end of the day..what can you do? Im still proud of the guys, I didn't go to the game. But think this was a "trash can" squad no one believed in...they overachieved as a unit and as a whole. SHC finished in football with a winning record, that hasn't been awhile and they are the "KINGS OF KEZAR"...lol. For me it was about Bellarmine..if they beat them I would have been more excited and stoked for this one.

At end of day, Irish did not get it done. There defense was rather shallow depth wise, but by end of games was just too tired, particularly up the middle. A lot of that had to do with the amount of passes they threw. They did beat S.I. and to most their alumni, that is all that counts. The bar is very low at SHC for football. This senior class was in fact their best class for football in years. They were competitive as freshman and played respectfully in WCAL. I do like their coach for opening up offense. Numbers will hurt them over next two years.

At end of day, Irish did not get it done. There defense was rather shallow depth wise, but by end of games was just too tired, particularly up the middle. A lot of that had to do with the amount of passes they threw. They did beat S.I. and to most their alumni, that is all that counts. The bar is very low at SHC for football. This senior class was in fact their best class for football in years. They were competitive as freshman and played respectfully in WCAL. I do like their coach for opening up offense. Numbers will hurt them over next two years.

Any team that beats SI is a favorite. One of their best linemen got injured at the start of the third. That's why so many yards running were allowed. Still, giving up 300 points on the year doesn't look good.
Also, I'm sure Barry McLaughlin had some choice words for those needless personal fouls. Keep your composure guys!
BTW, beating SI is not a "low bar" to me, especially when packing 10,000 fans into Kezar.

Last edited:
St. Francis Lancer's 8-3 vs Aragon Don's 10-1 in CCS Division II Semi-Final
DSC_5328.jpg

Definitely an interesting match-up and a game I'm certainly looking forward to. The PAL Bay League has been having an outstanding year with a number of good teams, but as of yet not much inter-action between PAL & WCAL in which to gauge the better teams. Early in the season both Bellarmine & Mitty had close wins over Menlo-Atherton the 3rd place team in PAL Bay, so not a great determination of the 2 best teams Aragon & HMB.

Glancing at the teams let's see how they match up on paper and why SF is favored by 10 points to defeat Aragon.

Rosters: SF 71 players, Aragon 49
Avg Points Per Game Offense: SF 36, Aragon 30
Avg Points Allowed Per Game: SF 16, Aragon 16
Yards Passing Per Game: SF 125, Aragon 135
Yards Rushing Per Game: SF 219, Aragon 211
TD's Scored: SF 50, Aragon 37
Interceptions: SF 8, Aragon 8

Key Players:
QB's: SF
- Reed Vettel 6'5-190, Passing 1365 yards, 13 TD's, 3 INT's - QB Rating 110.7
Aragon - Gabe Campos 5'7-155, Passing 1361 yards, 10 TD's, 3 Int's - QB Rating 92.7

Running Backs: SF Darrel Page 5'10-185, Rushed 1676 yards, 152 per game, 7.8 YPC, 18 TD's
Lucas Andrighetto 5'11-185, Rushed 334 yards, 7.0 YPC, 3 TD's
Aragon RB's: Paul Lautami 5'10-185, Rushed 1400 yards, 140 per game, 7.4 YPC, 12 TD's
Cameron Grant 5'10-185, Rushed 426 yards, 5.0 YPC, 9 TD's
Wide Receivers: SF Evan Williams 5'11-180, 346 yards, 7 TD's, 20 YPC avg
SF Maurice Wilmar 6'2-195, 246 yards, 4 TD's, 29 YPC avg
Aragon: Davion Cox 6'2-185, 688 yards, 6 TD's, 19 YPC avg

Key Defenders: SF James Dineen 6'4-220 LB, Lucas Andrighetto 5'11-185 SS, Evan WIlliams 5'11-180 S,
Tyler Manoa 6'4-285 DT, Joshua Pakola 6'4-240 LB, Longahulu Ahoia 6'4-260 DT, Jr. Fehoko 6'4-240 - LB

Aragon: Dante Pachini 5'10-200 LB, Lopeti Pierce 6'3-195 LB, Michael Mueller 6'2-265 DE,
Cameron Grant 5'10-185 LB, Davion Cox 6'2-185 DB [* 7-INT's], Matt Gee 5'6-155 FS, Moses Olive 6'1-240 DT

Kickers- PAT's & FG's: dead-even on both percentages by both teams kickers with longest FG at 33 yards for both.

Conclusion: difficult to judge any huge advantage by either team. SF does have a larger roster by 12 players which is certainly not a disadvantage. Both teams have an abundance of large lineman which does not always translate into an advantage, but when it comes to the line its good to have some "beef" up front. SF's QB Vettel has a sizable height advantage at 6'4 to Aragon's Campos at 5'7 - advantage to Vettel when passing & viewing field whereas Campos has got to be hard to see on defense when scrambling. The 2 best players on the field regardless of position are usually skill players and in this case is no exception, SF's Darrel Page the WCAL's rushing leader is one of the best in CCS and nearly impossible to stop for a full game without breaking at least one run. Aragon's Davian Cox is the Don's big playmaker on both sides of the ball and especially effective on defense at the corner with 7 interceptions [ranks as 5th in CCS]. Likely Cox will cover Evan Williams & help on Wilmar as needed. Both teams rely heavily on the run, but both can pass as well with and the percentage of run to pass is almost even. QB: advantage SF with 3-year QB Vettel who has big game experience including playing in a state bowl game.Running Backs: advantage SF as they have Darrel Page. Wide Receivers: advantage Aragon with Davion Cox whose stats equal that of both SF's top WR's. Defense: advantage SF - while both teams allow 16 PPG the Lancers have had a far tougher schedule including De La Salle, Valley Christian and Serra. Looking down the rosters SF seems to have an edge on the defensive side of the ball throughout with size and experience such as All-American Tyler Manoa at 6'4-285 who can play both ways.
Both teams have above average secondaries.Over under: currently has SF at 10-point favorites with the spread being 7-14.

The Over/Under and last weeks Games:

So from the projections which of the teams advancing made the projections point spreads and which teams won, but by less than expected? Here are the projections followed by the actual game results and +/- against the spread.

Projected Winners last week:
Serra 48-14 over Mitty
VC 42-0 over Oak Grove
SF 38-14 over Wilcox
Milpitas 31-10 over Bellarmine
Aragon 41-6 over Westmont

Game Scores:
Serra 51-7 over Mitty
Milpitas 35-7 over Bells
SF 51-27 over Wilcox
VC 36-0 over Oak Grove
Aragon 41-23 over Westmont

+/- Against the Spread:
Serra +10
Milpitas +7
St. Francis even
VC -6
Aragon -17

What does this mean you ask? Very little or nothing or maybe something is the best answer if you follow point spreads. Serra & Milpitas won by more than expected, SF was right on target and VC & Aragon came in below the projected score differences. In the games with the biggest point differentials its common for starters to be pulled early in the 2nd 1/2's or 4th quarters and the winning teams usually stick to a run game to chew up more clock. With the larger point differentials the "running clock" goes into effect - where a team is up by 35 or more at end of the 3rd quarter or any time into the 4th effectively limiting the game to possibly one more score once in effect. In the Open I & II Division playoffs the weakest teams were eliminated in round 1, which means the point spreads for this weeks games will be by smaller margins.

Rmbr, I would disagree on your point about HMB if they roll through Div3. There is no team in Div3 playoffs that would show how good HMB is. They very well could be an elite team, but the best chance to find out is how Aragon does against SF and Serra/VC winner. While the 3 Opens help get more teams into Regional Bowl Games, it diminishes our ability to see how good some schools are. I dont think we will ever know how good this HMB team is under the current system, and I would have loved an opportunity to see if they truly were the Hickory/Hoosiers team of the CCS.

[B said:
"joebl[/B], post: 181024, member: 816"]Rmbr, I would disagree on your point about HMB if they roll through Div3. There is no team in Div3 playoffs that would show how good HMB is. They very well could be an elite team, but the best chance to find out is how Aragon does against SF and Serra/VC winner. While the 3 Opens help get more teams into Regional Bowl Games, it diminishes our ability to see how good some schools are. I dont think we will ever know how good this HMB team is under the current system, and I would have loved an opportunity to see if they truly were the Hickory/Hoosiers team of the CCS.

joebl: I was simply saying any team that can roll through the playoffs in any division without being challenged gives fans 3 more games in which to gauge how good they are. True if HMB was in Div II we'd find out in round 1 how good HMB is. Anyway that's not the case and a good reason why I'm excited to see the SF-Aragon game.
While SF is a 1-2 score favorite some knowledgable fans have expressed it could be a close game and a few others have mentioned on posts that in a close game Aragon could possibly upset the Lancer's. The HMB-Aragon game was a close one 28-21 with HMB out in front early and hanging on in a game that went down to the wire. Aragon as you indicated is the best clue vs SF as to how good the HMB Cougars really are. joebl - do you think HMB-Live Oak will be any kind of game or simply another blow-out by HMB?

HMB is a second level team in CCS and slightly behind VC, SF, and Milpitas in my opinion. I think they would have tough time against Serra and maybe VCs size and speed next and SF and Milpitas probably would be good games. HMB is probably a top 5 team in CCS this year and big favorite to win CCS Open 3 Playoff with only slight chance of upset. HMB is a very good D3 team. They probably would be competitive with Cardinal Newman and Rancho Cotate and Marin Catholic and Bishop ODowd. They might have a problem with physical and fast teams I rank ahead of them. I would rank those teams ahead of the NCS D3 teams as well.

My CCS Rankings

1st Tier:
Serra - seems to be best team in CCS by at least a TD or two over next tier.

2nd Tier:
VC, SF, Milpitas, HMB
- VC seems to be slightly better than the next 2 and in order with the next 2 slightly better than HMB.

3rd Tier:
Aragon, MA, Terra Nova, Salinas, Wilcox
- These teams seemingly would be very good games at this stage of the season. Wilcox is a very good team on offense and am impressed with how they run the option and belongs in this group. If Salinas played better last week I might put them ahead of Terra Nova, but they seem to play inconsistent. They got down early against TN in early meeting and game would be better next time in my opinion. Aragon could be at next tier above but at the bottom and MA probably still in this tier.

4th Tier
Palma, Aptos, Bells, Live Oak, SHC, Mitty, St Ig, Burlingame, San Benito, Los Gatos, Oak Grove, Piedmont Hills
- Palma seems to be playing very good on both sides and younger players playing like experienced ones and potential to beat next tier or at least good games. Have Palma ahead of Aptos due to all the Aptos injuries and reason I rank them ahead at this stage. A full strength Aptos is at bottom of next tier in my opinion. This group seems to be very competitive with each other. Palma close to next tier.Related to the WCAL teams, there seem to be some matchup issues between some of them and not necessarily where I rank them. For example SHC seems to have some issues contain ball control and top RBs but matches up
better with other good teams. Reason I think this group would compete.

Having seen St. Francis twice and Serra a number of times, I would rank the SF roster right there with Serra's, especially now that Mafi and a backup offensive lineman are out for the season. If those two schools play again, for me, it's a tossup. That's just off the eyeball test. My track record is not special, however. I had Hillary defeating Trump in a cage death match at the Cow Palace in 2016. And we know how that grudge match turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHgradSIdad

joebl: I was simply saying any team that can roll through the playoffs in any division without being challenged gives fans 3 more games in which to gauge how good they are. True if HMB was in Div II we'd find out in round 1 how good HMB is. Anyway that's not the case and a good reason why I'm excited to see the SF-Aragon game.
While SF is a 1-2 score favorite some knowledgable fans have expressed it could be a close game and a few others have mentioned on posts that in a close game Aragon could possibly upset the Lancer's. The HMB-Aragon game was a close one 28-21 with HMB out in front early and hanging on in a game that went down to the wire. Aragon as you indicated is the best clue vs SF as to how good the HMB Cougars really are. joebl - do you think HMB-Live Oak will be any kind of game or simply another blow-out by HMB?

Final was 21-14. After first play of that contest, an 80-yard TD by HMB's Hoffman, the ballgame was dead even. If Aragon and HMB were to play again (can't happen), it would be rated a tossup.

I would not expect HMB to have any problems with Live Oak, but having not seen Live Oak play, hard to know if their style matches up well against HMB to make it close.

Nice break down of CCS teams NorCal.

The one reason I am being cautious about "down-grading" HMB below the WCAL top teams along with Milpitas is that they remind me of the SHP team that went to state - many similarities [small squad, excellent skill players esp at QB & RB, team functions well as a unit on both sides of the ball and doesn't commit a lot of mental errors]. Also SHP was anot a big team physically.

That SHP team took down Oak Grove in the first round, then an excellent Los Gatos team that shut out Serra 27-0 the week prior and then took down the Bells by 2 TD's in the Open Championship to finish 13-0 on the season. I still remember the posts on my thread from WCAL fans convinced SHP would be destroyed if & when they played one of the WCAL "powers".

The following year 2014 SHP went to state after defeating a highly favored El Cerrito team by 42-7. That SHP team changed the way I look at the PAL teams in particular the Bay League.

Last edited:
Having seen St. Francis twice and Serra a number of times, I would rank the SF roster right there with Serra's, especially now that Mafi and a backup offensive lineman are out for the season. If those two schools play again, for me, it's a tossup. That's just off the eyeball test. My track record is not special, however. I had Hillary defeating Trump in a cage death match at the Cow Palace in 2016. And we know how that grudge match turned out.
My two cents:
It seems there are many people picking for Aragon to upset St Francis. It could happen but I highly doubt it. Wilcox put up a valiant effort capitalizing on a couple of SF miscues last week. Wilcox were surprisingly fast. Typical Calcgano, he started to slowly send 2nd string players as early as mid-2nd qtr. And sent the bench (including JV players) in the 3rd. Basically he eased the throttle or else the score would’ve been very high. They pretty much scored at will. This Friday's game could be a replay of last week. I'll be at attendance.

Picks for this weekend: (only a few)
Menlo-Atherton vs Milpitas: Milpitas wins by a wide margin. 42-14. They are undefeated for a reason and one reason is the Bracy brothers.
Aragon vs St Francis: St. Francis wins by a wide margin. 35-7
Live Oak vs Half Moon Bay: HMB wins this one. 38-14
Serra vs Valley Christian: Serra wins but will be close 28-21. Harder to beat a top WCAL team the second time around.

WCAL is usually a 5 headed monster but incredibly, the perennially powerful Mitty and Bellarmine had a extremely down year. SMH
Valley Christian vs HMB would’ve been a great matchup in DIII this year. VC was in DIII last year.
St Francis last played Aragon in the second round of CCS Div II in 2012. SF came out on top 41-7.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Reactions: WCAL75
There is one big difference between that SHP outfit and this year's HMB squad: Burr Kirven, a true, bigtime prep stud on both sides of the ball now starting for Washington on defense. HMB has no one of that caliber.

Reactions: jordan24
[B said:
"colhenrylives[/B], post: 181108, member: 968"]There is one big difference between that SHP outfit and this year's HMB squad: Burr Kirven, a true, bigtime prep stud on both sides of the ball now starting for Washington on defense. HMB has no one of that caliber.

colhenry: good knowledge and thought someone might bring up "Ben". I was just reading about him last week in playing for Washington & put on about 20 lbs. since HS. Ben Burr Kirven was a dynamic player at the HS level and a true star on both sides of the ball at 6'0-200 at SHP. His best year was his Jr. year when SHP went 13-2 and lost in the state bowl game where he had a great game. He was known more for defense where he was a force and while he had some long TD's as a RB he was more a power runner. His junior year he contributed on offense though he was the leader on defense. His senior year he missed a good portion of the season injured and SHP kept rolling on despite his absence and was the year they finished 13-0 and won the CCS Open. Burr Kirven was without a doubt the best defensive player on those teams for 2013 & 2014. SHP though did have a lot of other talented players at QB, RB, WR and on defense so the 2 teams those seasons were much more than the one outstanding player.

As for my comments on HMB - still sayin' a lot of similarities between the 2017 Cougars & 2013 Gators.

colhenry: good knowledge and thought someone might bring up "Ben". I was just reading about him last week in playing for Washington & put on about 20 lbs. since HS. Ben Burr Kirven was a dynamic player at the HS level and a true star on both sides of the ball at 6'0-200 at SHP. His best year was his Jr. year when SHP went 13-2 and lost in the state bowl game where he had a great game. He was known more for defense where he was a force and while he had some long TD's as a RB he was more a power runner. His junior year he contributed on offense though he was the leader on defense. His senior year he missed a good portion of the season injured and SHP kept rolling on despite his absence and was the year they finished 13-0 and won the CCS Open. Burr Kirven was without a doubt the best defensive player on those teams for 2013 & 2014. SHP though did have a lot of other talented players at QB, RB, WR and on defense so the 2 teams those seasons were much more than the one outstanding player.

As for my comments on HMB - still sayin' a lot of similarities between the 2017 Cougars & 2013 Gators.

There are some similarities. But SHP was clearly better than HMB. More talent. Much tougher overall schedules. SHP could play with just about anyone (sans DLS, of course). HMB, no. The Cougars, bless 'em, are right where they belong. The stars are aligned. They may well play in a NorCal small school regional contest. Good for them.

There are some similarities. But SHP was clearly better than HMB. More talent. Much tougher overall schedules. SHP could play with just about anyone (sans DLS, of course). HMB, no. The Cougars, bless 'em, are right where they belong. The stars are aligned. They may well play in a NorCal small school regional contest. Good for them.

Can't say myself that SHP was clearly better than HMB at this stage of season simply because nobody knows.
As for having much tougher schedules SHP and HMB were/are both in the PAL Bay and play the same opponents so the regular season schedules were essentially the same. The only difference in ratings then and now are that SHP won over both a good Los Gatos team & Bells team in post season which increased their end of season ratings dramatically. HMB now being in Div III will not get that opportunity, so we may never know.

I will say though if Aragon gets steam-rolled by SF my perspective loses steam, while on the other hand if Aragon shocks SF the conversation of HMB and SHP gets new life ;)

Reactions: colhenrylives
Serra - VC Rematch in Showdown Saturday Afternoon in San Mateo 1:00 PM

Below link to CCS Football Semi-Final Preview - Read about Serra-VC and other games

Serra’s Chris Park (23) heads for the goal line for a touchdown in the 3rd quarter as the Valley Christian H.S. varsity football team takes on Serra H.S. at Serra in San Mateo, California, on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017. (Patrick Tehan/Bay Area News Group)

bng-l-serra-1029-6.jpg

Serra is #3 and VC #4 in the Bay Area News Group Top 20 for Bay Area

Likely unless I'm wrong and I think most fans would agree with me that this game will be much closer than the initial meeting where Serra came out on top by 35-7 [largely due to a 22-point eruption by Serra in the 3rd quarter to blow the game open]. So what to expect? Its been reported that Serra lost its best 2-way lineman Mafi to injury which is a big blow to the Padres. Serra roster is deep though and capable reserves to fill the void so to speak. Valley Christian has to do 2 things in order to prevail in this game - run the ball successfully and contain Serra's passing game, which is easier said than done. VC's QB Juan Turner directs the offense using 3 primary RB's and only passes occasionally with Alton Julian being the primary WR. VC's offense relies on ball control and if VC falls behind by more than one score their game plan changes having to pass - something that did not work well against Serra previously. Serra's offense uses 3 primary RB's as well and in addition has 4 primary WR's to spread the ball around along with QB Bottari's scrambling ability. Serra also switches between the double-wing and a spread offense so the Padres give the opposing teams a lot of different looks to adjust for. Simply put Serra has more options on offense than most teams. The game will rely heavily on who controls the line of scrimmage ["LOS"] and VC will need to control on offense to maintain ball control and pressure Bottari on defense and hurry his throws. If this game is close as many see it this time around then miscues will be critical and any fumbles or interceptions could prove costly. Serra vs VC #2 should be a good one!

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/22/ccs-football-playoffs-valley-christian-gets-another-shot-at-serra/

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Can't say myself that SHP was clearly better than HMB at this stage of season simply because nobody knows.
As for having much tougher schedules SHP and HMB were/are both in the PAL Bay and play the same opponents so the regular season schedules were essentially the same. The only difference in ratings then and now are that SHP won over both a good Los Gatos team & Bells team in post season which increased their end of season ratings dramatically. HMB now being in Div III will not get that opportunity, so we may never know.

I will say though if Aragon gets steam-rolled by SF my perspective loses steam, while on the other hand if Aragon shocks SF the conversation of HMB and SHP gets new life ;)
That 2015 SHP haunts the Crusaders. If it weren't for that double reverse flea flicker...Ughhh! Lol

Serra vs Valley Christian broadcast live on NFHSnetwork - Saturday 1:00 PM

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/cifccs/3c897ad4cb

Unfortunately no live coverage of St. Francis-Aragon, the other highly anticipated game in Div II this evening at Aragon. NFHS has advertised the HMB vs Live Oak game, however the last 2 HMB games advertised were never available [likely the operators of equipment were not instructed properly how to use it [?]. Here is the link just in case they're successful this time around at 7 PM tonite [FYI - games routinely run late 15 minutes].

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/half-moon-bay-high-school-half-moon-bay-ca/93b39af2ba

Menlo-Atherton vs Milpitas also on at 7:00 PM

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/milpitas-high-school-milpitas-ca/d603eda16b

Serra vs Valley Christian broadcast live on NFHSnetwork - Saturday 1:00 PM

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/cifccs/3c897ad4cb

Unfortunately no live coverage of St. Francis-Aragon, the other highly anticipated game in Div II this evening at Aragon. NFHS has advertised the HMB vs Live Oak game, however the last 2 HMB games advertised were never available [likely the operators of equipment were not instructed properly how to use it [?]. Here is the link just in case they're successful this time around at 7 PM tonite [FYI - games routinely run late 15 minutes].

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/half-moon-bay-high-school-half-moon-bay-ca/93b39af2ba

Menlo-Atherton vs Milpitas also on at 7:00 PM

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/milpitas-high-school-milpitas-ca/d603eda16b

Speaking of Aragon vs. SF, if you attend this game in person be aware: There is seating for barely 200 people on the visitors' side of the field. And parking can be difficult as well. Get there early.

Speaking of Aragon vs. SF, if you attend this game in person be aware: There is seating for barely 200 people on the visitors' side of the field. And parking can be difficult as well. Get there early.

It'd be great if you could post a few updates here & there colhenry - surprised that Aragon with all the work done there in recent years has not done a simple bleacher upgrade - it was that way 10-years ago when I was there..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT