ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

Pardon the interruption. Doesn't Riordan have a big, physical tackle who is being recruited? Thought I saw that info on another site. Could be incorrect. Age may be creeping up like a DB on third and short.
I believe you are referring to Crusader sr. Gabe Martin, 6-2, 280lbs

Serra will also have a transfer by the name of David Silk who played at Woodside last year. He is a pretty good player who I believe will make an impact on this padre team once he sits out the first 4 games. Another weapon once league starts.

Thx "Heat Miser" as just looked up David Silk from Woodside out of the PAL Lake Division.

2-way player WR/DB on varsity as soph is 5'11-175. Last season in 9 games on offense had 34 catches, 4 TD's with 12.4 APC. On Defense had 40 tackles and an interception.

Sounds like Silk may contribute for Serra on one side of the ball or another and certainly adds to their roster depth at 2 positions.

Reactions: The Heat Miser

Thx "Heat Miser" as just looked up David Silk from Woodside out of the PAL Lake Division.

2-way player WR/DB on varsity as soph is 5'11-175. Last season in 9 games on offense had 34 catches, 4 TD's with 12.4 APC. On Defense had 40 tackles and an interception.

Sounds like Silk may contribute for Serra on one side of the ball or another and certainly adds to their roster depth at 2 positions.

The difference between the PAL Lake and the WCAL is a yawning chasm worthy of the Grand Canyon.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Thanks for the heads-up Spartanwhoknows as unfamiliar with Pederson due to no stats available on him. Any idea of his playing time or any passes caught last season. Sounds like a replacement for Michael Churich who was also a HUGE target [now at UCLA correct?].

Rmbr

Pederson as a Soph did not get much action he should be a real big target for Daylin. He also may play some D end.

Serra will also have a transfer by the name of David Silk who played at Woodside last year. He is a pretty good player who I believe will make an impact on this padre team once he sits out the first 4 games. Another weapon once league starts.
The word on Silk is that he will get lots of reps as a slot receiver and maybe be looked at RB. He is very fast

[QUOTE="Spartanwhoknows, post: 239014, member: 224"]Rmbr
Pederson as a Soph did not get much action he should be a real big target for Daylin. He also may play some D end.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback Spartanwhoknows. Pederson certainly has good size to be a good TE if he has some speed & "hands" as well.

In Serra's wide open offense, is a TE even used much at all?
In the Double wing tight ends can be big targets especially with a QB that can run like McClemore. Defenses have to stay home and that opens up the Tight end pass. He will play WR otherwise he has speed and good hands. Nice compliment to Loville.

The word on Silk is that he will get lots of reps as a slot receiver and maybe be looked at RB. He is very fast
I know the staff at Serra really like him and have mentioned that he is right up there with the top skill guys on the team. It will be fun to see him play. We know the WCAL is a big step up.

[B said:
"The Heat Miser[/B], post: 239022, member: 8251"]I know the staff at Serra really like him and have mentioned that he is right up there with the top skill guys on the team. It will be fun to see him play. We know the WCAL is a big step up.

Obviously the WCAL is at a different level than the PAL Lake Division & having said that my opinion is that the difference is more on a team/league level than rather judging a player by the league he played in [however strange that may seem]. This particular player based upon size and stats playing both ways previous does show some promise & am curious to follow player "David Silk". One thing I think for sure is that the Woodside coach is sorry in losing him.

Reactions: The Heat Miser
Checking out NCP's "Top 20 NorCal Teams" on the home page posted yesterday:

#4 Valley Christian 11-3 last season
#5 Serra 7-5
#6 Menlo-Atherton 13-2
#9 St. Francis 11-3

VC is high on everyone's radar and for good reason based upon last season and who returns this season. On another note Serra seems to have moved up coincidentally after my WCAL team by team player post 2 days ago - glad someone is paying attention to the WCAL post ;) I have to say most polls have Serra down significantly and NCP's has the Padres highest I've seen them to date [many incl myself still have fresh memories of Serra's 3 losses to VC & SF by a combined score of 127-21 so much has to be proven still]. M-A ranked below Serra? M-A who finished last season 13-2 won their state bowl game in 3-AA, after winning their NorCal regional over a good 12-1 Eureka team, after winning the CCS Open Championship over Wilcox - the same Wilcox 14-1 that took down VC 10-6 early last season. M-A looks solid again this season so what does NCP's know that I am missing? SF is several notches below Serra which should fire up the Lancers and Mitty is nowhere to be seen in the NorCal Top 20. Some fans think this could be Mitty's year while others are expecting a replay of the last 2 seasons. Like Serra its difficult to forget Mitty's 4 lopsided losses to VC, SF & Serra last season. So the 2 BIG question marks are Serra and Mitty as to who's up and/or who's down. It doesn't matter how low SF is ranked as I would not wager my car against them when they play Serra ["The Curse" still lingers...]

P.S. RE: Menlo-Atherton who now has St. Francis transfer Devin Bishop the Lancer's top RB last season and 5th best in WCAL. Serra plays M-A on Sept. 7th.

Last edited:

#5 Serra 7-5
#6 Menlo-Atherton 13-2
#9 St. Francis 11-3

VC is high on everyone's radar and for good reason based upon last season and who returns this season. On another note Serra seems to have moved up coincidentally after my WCAL team by team player post 2 days ago - glad someone is paying attention to the WCAL post ;) I have to say most polls have Serra down significantly and NCP's has the Padres highest I've seen them to date [many incl myself still have fresh memories of Serra's 3 losses to VC & SF by a combined score of 127-21 so much has to be proven still]. M-A ranked below Serra? M-A who finished last season 13-2 won their state bowl game in 3-AA, after winning their NorCal regional over a good 12-1 Eureka team, after winning the CCS Open Championship over Wilcox - the same Wilcox 14-1 that took down VC 10-6 early last season. M-A looks solid again this season so what does NCP's know that I am missing? SF is several notches below Serra which should fire up the Lancers and Mitty is nowhere to be seen in the NorCal Top 20. Some fans think this could be Mitty's year while others are expecting a replay of the last 2 seasons. Like Serra its difficult to forget Mitty's 4 lopsided losses to VC, SF & Serra last season. So the 2 BIG question marks are Serra and Mitty as to who's up and/or who's down. It doesn't matter how low SF is ranked as I would not wager my car against them when they play Serra ["The Curse" still lingers...]

...also curious about Riordan and the new regime on what was Phelan Avenue...

At team made up of 23 sophs with only 11 seniors prob
Common sense says
The team that has 23 sophs and only 11 seniors has a better chance at last place

Common sense says
The team that has 23 sophs and only 11 seniors has a better chance at last place

The official roster isn't out yet. Max Preps isn't very accurate unless they get a roster from the coach.

Last edited:
BNG-L-STFRANCIS-1005-10.jpg

St. Francis LB/RB Josh Pakola intercepts a VC pass to set up the only TD of the SF 7-3 win over VC on
Friday night October 5th on SF's home field. [photo courtesy of Mercury News-BANG]

WCAL Football Review of 2018 Season by Team

St. Francis – WCAL Champs 7-0 & overall 11-3
The Lancers’ graduated a ton of good players from 2017 and were not expected to be quite as good in 2018. The news leaked out that Darrel Page the WCAL’s leading rusher by large margin in 2017 had transferred. How do you replace your best player the offense revolves around? Next up early in the season SF lost its starting QB Jack Perry and back-up QB junior Ryan Daly moved behind center. In replacing RB Page the Lancers’ adopted a carry-by-committee rushing game with Andre Bishop & Opeti Fangupo getting most of the carries with added help from Thomas Whitenight, Anthony Smith & Nick Robinson. The 5 RB’s combined for almost 2200 yards and 29 TD’s. Back-up QB Ryan Daly was extremely efficient taking over for Jack Perry and Daly was the 3rd best QB overall in WCAL behind Serra’s Luke Bottari & Mitty’s Shamir Bey. Its important to note that Ryan Daly had the highest efficiency rating of any WCAL QB. St. Francis ended league season with the #3 offense and #1 defense [barely beating out VC defensively].

St. Francis 2018 Record: 11-3
SF 23-12 over Notre Dame [Sherman Oaks]
SF 35-7 over Oak Grove
DLS 33-15 over SF
SF 31-6 over S.I.
SF 14-0 over SHC
SF 7-3 over VC
SF 38-0 over Riordan
SF 28-0 over Bells
SF 28-7 over Mitty
SF 42-7 over Serra
SF 34-13 over Aragon Open II Playoffs
SF 38-8 over Serra Open II Playoffs
VC 31-30 over SF Open II Championship
Del Oro 14-13 over SF – NorCal Regional Bowl 2-AA

Worst Game
Looking at all the games SF really didn’t play badly in any games & 2 of its losses were by 1-point each to VC & Del Oro. If I had to pick a game it would be the De La Salle win of 33-15 over SF. This was the one game against the mighty Spartans where SF appeared out of sorts, making miscues and not taking advantage of several opportunities. Granted DLS has the ability to make just about any NorCal team look their worst, however I think the Lancer’s could have given DLS a better game. This was game 3 of the season with the first QB Perry for SF prior to getting injured. While Perry performed well for SF, once Daly took over the team and settled in he became highly efficient and the offense became more efficient overall as well. All things said I think a rematch end of season between the 2 teams would have been closer.

Best Game
This one was easy with the Lancer’s demolition of Serra by 42-7 on the Padres home turf, the worst Serra loss in recent memory. SF followed up 3 weeks later with a nearly identical win of 38-8 over Serra in Open II Playoffs, outscoring Serra by 80-15 in the 2 games.

Next Up: Valley Christian

#5 Serra 7-5
#6 Menlo-Atherton 13-2
#9 St. Francis 11-3

P.S. RE: Menlo-Atherton who now has St. Francis transfer Devin Bishop the Lancer's top RB last season and 5th best in WCAL. Serra plays M-A on Sept. 7th.

You are required reading on the WCAL. I wouldn't be due diligence if I wasn't reading along :)

In terms of Serra, M-A and St. Francis, those three teams bounced around a few times as I was writing it up. The issue for Serra was replacing the play and leadership of Bottari at the most important position, but in the end, I think they have the answer on their roster somewhere in the mix. Overall, they bring back the most talent.

M-A graduated two Pac-12 defenders and middle of the field players. They have some questions at QB, but I think they will figure it out similar to Serra. Their coaching change creates a question mark (at least in the preseason).

St. Francis' system and the type of players they get makes them almost slump proof. Similar to when Joe Cattolico was at Pleasant Grove in the SJS. They lost some really good players, but I think they will be in almost every game this year against a tough schedule.

For Mitty, the big question is whether this is the year they can take the next step. They have been at that solid team level for a few years now, but rarely get more than that. Having a quarterback like Bey is a good start. I'm waiting to see it play out.

BNG-L-STFRANCIS-1005-10.jpg

St. Francis LB/RB Josh Pakola intercepts a VC pass to set up the only TD of the SF 7-3 win over VC on
Friday night October 5th on SF's home field. [photo courtesy of Mercury News-BANG]

St. Francis – WCAL Champs 7-0 & overall 11-3
The Lancers’ graduated a ton of good players from 2017 and were not expected to be quite as good in 2018. The news leaked out that Darrel Page the WCAL’s leading rusher by large margin in 2017 had transferred. How do you replace your best player the offense revolves around? Next up early in the season SF lost its starting QB Jack Perry and back-up QB junior Ryan Daly moved behind center. In replacing RB Page the Lancers’ adopted a carry-by-committee rushing game with Andre Bishop & Opeti Fangupo getting most of the carries with added help from Thomas Whitenight, Anthony Smith & Nick Robinson. The 5 RB’s combined for almost 2200 yards and 29 TD’s. Back-up QB Ryan Daly was extremely efficient taking over for Jack Perry and Daly was the 3rd best QB overall in WCAL behind Serra’s Luke Bottari & Mitty’s Shamir Bey. Its important to note that Ryan Daly had the highest efficiency rating of any WCAL QB. St. Francis ended league season with the #3 offense and #1 defense [barely beating out VC defensively].

St. Francis 2018 Record: 11-3
SF 23-12 over Notre Dame [Sherman Oaks]
SF 35-7 over Oak Grove
DLS 33-15 over SF
SF 31-6 over S.I.
SF 14-0 over SHC
SF 7-3 over VC
SF 38-0 over Riordan
SF 28-0 over Bells
SF 28-7 over Mitty
SF 42-7 over Serra
SF 34-13 over Aragon Open II Playoffs
SF 38-8 over Serra Open II Playoffs
VC 31-30 over SF Open II Championship
Del Oro 14-13 over SF – NorCal Regional Bowl 2-AA

Worst Game
Looking at all the games SF really didn’t play badly in any games & 2 of its losses were by 1-point each to VC & Del Oro. If I had to pick a game it would be the De La Salle win of 33-15 over SF. This was the one game against the mighty Spartans where SF appeared out of sorts, making miscues and not taking advantage of several opportunities. Granted DLS has the ability to make just about any NorCal team look their worst, however I think the Lancer’s could have given DLS a better game. This was game 3 of the season with the first QB Perry for SF prior to getting injured. While Perry performed well for SF, once Daly took over the team and settled in he became highly efficient and the offense became more efficient overall as well. All things said I think a rematch end of season between the 2 teams would have been closer.

Best Game
This one was easy with the Lancer’s demolition of Serra by 42-7 on the Padres home turf, the worst Serra loss in recent memory. SF followed up 3 weeks later with a nearly identical win of 38-8 over Serra in Open II Playoffs, outscoring Serra by 80-15 in the 2 games.

Next Up: Valley Christian

Did Andre Bishop transfer to Menlo-Atherton?

BNG-L-CCSTWO-1201-22.jpg

Valley Christian celebrates Double O/T win over St. Francis in CCS Open II Championship Game Dec. 1, 2018.
[photo courtesy of Anda Chu/Bay Area News Group]

Valley Christian “Warrior’s” 11-3
VC had an incredibly good 2018 season along with St. Francis and both finished with the same record of 11 wins and 3 losses. The 3 losses were to a strong Wilcox team in season opener, a 7-3 loss to SF and loss in their state bowl game 1-A to Liberty of Brentwood 33-21.

VC has seen a recent rise in its football fortunes in the last 5 years in particular with the “worst” season coming in 2015 with a record of 8-4. The team in recent years’ features a run-first type offense with a seemingly inexhaustible stable of fast RB’s. VC seems to reload each year with another 1-2 RB’s as good or better than the year before. In 2018 VC had 4 RB’s in the top 7 rushers in the WCAL including the league’s #1 RB Isaiah McElvane who returns this season. McElvane had 1204 yards [260 yards more than the #2 RB in WCAL Anthony Heard of SHC]. McElvane had 11 TD’s, avg 92 YPG and an APC of 7.3 yards. VC also had D’Von Lang the #3 RB in league, Thomas Dunham #4 in league and Michael Corini #7 in league their FB who returns as well. Between the 4 RB’s they totaled 3659 yards and 46 TD’s for the season. No other WCAL team was remotely close in rushing stats to VC. As good as VC’s rushing game has been the Warrior “D” has been just as good finishing as either the #1 or #2 defense in the WCAL each of the last 5 seasons. During the 7 game WCAL league season both VC & SF allowed just under 4 points per game.

Valley Christian 2018 Record: 11-3
Wilcox 10-6 over VC
VC 27-14 over Pleasant Valley – Chico
VC 42-20 over Clovis West
VC 45-7 over SHC
VC 41-0 over S.I.
SF 7-3 over VC
VC 37-6 over Serra
VC 27-0 over Mitty
VC 35-0 over Bells
VC 53-7 over Riordan
VC 42-0 over Christopher [Gilroy] Open II Playoffs
VC 42-14 over Mitty – Open II Playoffs Semi-Final
VC 31-30 over SF – Open II Championship [double over-time]
Liberty 33-21 over VC – State 1-A Bowl Game

Worst Game
Looking at VC’s 3 losses the one that stands out as their poorest performance was the 7-3 loss to St. Francis during regular season. Granted the WCAL’s #1 defense of the Lancers had a large part to do with it. VC had their poorest passing and rushing game of the season with 6/21 passing with 3 INT’s and rushing 31/104 yards w/3.4 YPC [longest rush 10-yds].

Best Game
It’s a bit ironic as one of VC’s worst performances was also its best game[?]. VC’s victory over SF in the CCS Open II Championship of 31-30 was improbable at best. SF was a slight favorite as the undefeated WCAL Champs, had a better pass game & the #1 defense [by slight margin]. There was some speculation as to whether SF miscues caused the slight upset or VC simply took advantage of every opportunity. VC had an interception and 2 fumble recoveries in the 4th quarter along with a 55-yard catch with time running out in the 4th to tie the game. The 2 teams traded 4 TD’s in 2 O/T’s with VC blocking an extra point and then VC’s kicker Lucas Ramirez hitting a 25-yard field goal for the win. It was a win many VC players and fans will never forget.

Next Up: Mitty “Monarchs”

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Yes. No JV's again this season.

I think SHC doesn't plan to have a jv program since 2018...Coach Mac stated that this method may actually work better for the school just concentrating on two teams in an SFgate article and he cited some other schools that did this...I think the incoming frosh should schedule as many games as possible if this is the case.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I think SHC doesn't plan to have a jv program since 2018...Coach Mac stated that this method may actually work better for the school just concentrating on two teams in an SFgate article and he cited some other schools that did this...I think the incoming frosh should schedule as many games as possible if this is the case.
The Frosh has 9 games scheduled. I think that's the limit.

For all of you WCAL historians out there, has Bellarmine ever finished dead last in league play, dating back all the way to 1967?

Reading the last several posts regarding the once powerhouse Bellarmine Bells I feel compelled to respond.
I believe too many fans of the WCAL who are still alluding themselves to a sudden & dramatic come-back by the Bells are basing this on past years' of glory and domination of most of the other WCAL teams by Bellarmine.

You heard it here first - those days are over for the Bells - for now at least. Anyone posting there is no way Bellarmine finishes in last place this 2019 season is not looking over their record or the scores of their games the last 3 seasons.
The Bellarmine football program is in a tailspin to put it mildly and no indication they'll pull out of the nose-dive any time soon. You see its not just the varsity, but the entire Bells football program that has become an after-thought for the once proud school. Not only is the Bellarmine football program a mere shadow of what once was, but worse it appears many of their students & fans have abandoned the sport. Question: has anyone else noticed the dwindling crowds at Bells games the last few years? Very telling how the sport has lost its prestige at the largest single boys prep school in NorCal.

Bottom Line:
I have SHC rated above Bells currently and S.I. possibly a hair above as well. That my friends leaves only the upstart Crusaders of Riordan to kick the Bells to the curb so to speak & switch Riordan and Bells as the WCAL "Celler-Dwellers". With new coaching and return of a few good players incl QB Riordan may very well be chasing the Bells down this season ... for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee Bellarmine Bells & Coach Janda.....

Through the decades of the WCAL (and the CAL before that), you could usually count on one Bellarmine hallmark: A collection of outstanding prep linemen. The San Jose Jesuits seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of big, strong kids who made things tough for rivals on both sides of the ball. And there was depth. Not so much anymore.

Over the last several years, it's been striking to view the Bells' lack of bruisers. They don't manhandle opponents as they once did. Instead, they get pushed around on a regular basis on the line of scrimmage. It's surprising.

However, it's quite possible that Bellarmine's tough admission standards and high demand for entrance (Bellarmine, today, doesn't appear to need a strong football program to boost enrollment numbers) have combined to limit the enrollment of the school's traditional football demographic. Plus, the competition for players in the South Bay is ferocious.

The arrival of Valley Christian into the WCAL in 2002 added to the pressure already provided by the likes of Mitty and St. Francis. Even Serra, 30 miles to the north, has become a problem for Bellarmine due to the hiring of Patrick Walsh at the San Mateo school in 2001.

It's also obvious that Bellarmine's run-heavy offense simply won't work if the dominant linemen aren't there. It's the betting in this corner that Bellarmine, with 1,600 boys, and its tens of thousands of alumni won't stand for much more of this mediocrity. Another horrendous season just might force some major decisions, whether it's coaching, admission exceptions, whatever.

At Bellarmine, where excellence has been expected in all matters, athletic and academic, for more than 150 years, this weak football situation cannot go on forever. It's the antithesis of everything the school stands for.

Last edited:
A few more Bellarmine football notes:
  • The Bells last won, or tied for, a WCAL title in 2015; that Bellarmine team went 13-2 overall, 6-1 in league.
  • Since Valley Christian joined the WCAL in 2002, the Bells have captured, or tied for, six league varsity football championships; during that period, Serra has seven, VC 6 and St. Francis 4.
  • Over the last three years, the Bells have a combined 13-20 overall record, 7-14 in league (1-6 last year).
  • Red flags went up after the last game of the 2016 season when the Bells were shut out by Menlo-Atherton, 21-0, in the Central Coast Section playoffs.
  • Since 2002, the Bells have won or shared a combined nine frosh/JV league titles.
  • According to Bellarmine and WCAL records, the Bells have never finished winless in league play.
  • Those sources indicate that, prior to 2018, the last time Bellarmine won just a single league game was in 1993.
If you examine the Bells' football record book going all the way back to 1915, you will find a number of rather brief periods when things were not entirely rosy on the gridiron. The last time such a depressing performance occurred was 1972-74 when the Bells went 13-16. After that three-year dip, they rebounded to record 17 winning seasons in a row. So it would not be out of line to suggest that the current rough patch can be turned around _ even if 2019 winds up being as poor as some predict. As they say, time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defense_Rules
Another startling note— Bellarmine hasn’t scored against Serra since 2016. Two straight shutouts for the Padres.

A few more Bellarmine football notes:
  • The Bells last won, or tied for, a WCAL title in 2015; that Bellarmine team went 13-2 overall, 6-1 in league.
  • Since Valley Christian joined the WCAL in 2002, the Bells have captured, or tied for, six league varsity football championships; during that period, Serra has seven, VC 6 and St. Francis 4.
  • Over the last three years, the Bells have a combined 13-20 overall record, 7-14 in league (1-6 last year).
  • Red flags went up after the last game of the 2016 season when the Bells were shut out by Menlo-Atherton, 21-0, in the Central Coast Section playoffs.
  • Since 2002, the Bells have won or shared a combined nine frosh/JV league titles.
  • According to Bellarmine and WCAL records, the Bells have never finished winless in league play.
  • Those sources indicate that, prior to 2018, the last time Bellarmine won just a single league game was in 1993.
If you examine the Bells' football record book going all the way back to 1915, you will find a number of rather brief periods when things were not entirely rosy on the gridiron. The last time such a depressing performance occurred was 1972-74 when the Bells went 13-16. After that three-year dip, they rebounded to record 17 winning seasons in a row. So it would not be out of line to suggest that the current rough patch can be turned around _ even if 2019 winds up being as poor as some predict. As they say, time will tell.

I sense Janda hanging it up. Kids don’t want to run the wing-t anymore. Well take solace Bells fans, you pretty good in just about every other sport.

Serra's loyal fans hope you are correct in your assessment. However, this is much the same core that allowed 203 points vs. the four top-tier teams the Padres played a year ago (St. Francis twice). In those five games, Serra's defense was simply overwhelmed physically. The Padres lost all five ballgames, allowing nearly 41 points per game. Serra's 2019 schedule isn't a whole lot different than the 2018 version. If anything, the non-league portion is tougher. So we'll see. Maybe some of those heralded sophs will make a difference. Good luck.

Dear Colhenrylives, This year Serra team is a completely revamped team. The line is the largest line in WCAL. Average OL 6'4/300. They have a completely different offense with new skills players. If they go 3-0 in preseason look out for the Padres.....I will leave it at that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT