ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

BNG-L-MITTY-0831-14.jpg

Mitty's QB Shamir Bey runs for daylight in 28-21 loss to eventual state champs Menlo-Atherton in closely fought game
on Friday nite August 31,2018. [photo courtesy of Mercury News - BANG]

WCAL Football Review of 2018 Season by Team

Mitty “Monarchs” 2018 Record 6-6
Could this, will this be the Year of the Monarchs? There was much anticipation and excitement about the Mitty team entering the 2018 season. I for one was on board as to expecting possibly bigger things with the return of their talented QB Shamir Bey as a junior and a year experience under his belt. The first game of the season Mitty faced an Oakdale team that had been hyped a bit more than they apparently deserved. When Mitty rolled over Oakdale by 42-14 fan excitement grew and many including myself thought “this was the Mitty team we were hoping to see”. The excitement was quickly tempered however as Mitty lost to Menlo-Atherton of the weaker PAL League by 28-21 the following week [at that time no one dreamed M-A would go 13-2 & win a state bowl game beating such powerhouse teams as Wilcox along the way. Mitty bounced back to beat Acalanes before stark reality set in with a 42-6 blow-out to Serra. For Mitty the 2018 season was a near mirror image of their 2016 in which they finished 5-6. Mitty had the QB and some other talented players, but not the roster depth and “horses” to go toe-to-toe with the likes of SF, VC & Serra. Shamir Bey the top returning QB from 2018 is indeed a fine HS QB but needs a good core group of support players for Mitty to have success. Mitty’s roster for 2018 showed 61 players, while the pre-season roster shows just 37 [which cannot be confirmed currently]. Last years roster also showed approx. 40 players not then seniors who could return to varsity this season, so the 37 incl. JV players would seem quite low. Mitty had a JV team that went 7-2 so hopefully there are more players to be added to the roster. A WCAL roster to have any depth and back-up players would be at minimum 40 players and more desirably 45.

Mitty 42-14 over Oakdale
M-A 28-21 over Mitty
Mitty 22-17 over Acalanes
Serra 42-6 over Mitty
Mitty 34-6 over Riordan
Mitty 35-14 over Bells
S.I. 38-24 over Mitty
VC 27-0 over Mitty
SF 28-7 over Mitty
Mitty 26-14 over SHC
Mitty 35-7 over Oak Grove CCS Open II Playoffs
VC 42-14 over Mitty CCS Open II Playoffs semi-final

Worst Game
The 38-24 loss to St. Ignatius in week 7 of the season. Mitty went in as the favored team and lost by 14 to the Wildcats who would go 3-8 on the season. It was Shamir Bey’s highest yardage total for the season and 3rd best total yards for the offense. Unfortunately fumbles, penalties, INT’s and general sloppy play doomed the Monarch’s in this game. It was simply a case of which team wanted the win more and on this day it was S.I.

Best Game
This had to be the Oakdale game resulting in the Mitty 42-14 victory in game 1 of the season.
While Oakdale was not quite the powerhouse we’d been led to believe Mitty played well, made big plays and had a solid win over a team that would go 9-4 over the season. The win and score differential also created a major buzz about Mitty after that first game. In looking back I could have also gone with the 28-21 loss to M-A as Mitty’s “other best game”. M-A in going 13-2 to win a state title beating the likes of Wilcox, Eureka & Lincoln [San Diego] was right up there with SF & VC end of the season. That Mitty game vs M-A was actually tied in the 4th quarter until M-A scored the go-ahead TD with 5 min. remaining. It just goes to show how well Mitty could play against a very good team when it was on its “A” game. Regardless I’ll go with the Oakdale win vs the M-A loss as “best game”.

Next Up: Serra “Padres”

Last edited:
BNG-L-MITTY-0831-14.jpg

Mitty's QB Shamir Bey runs for daylight in 28-21 loss to eventual state champs Menlo-Atherton in closely fought game
on Friday nite August 31,2018. [photo courtesy of Mercury News - BANG]

Could this, will this be the Year of the Monarchs? There was much anticipation and excitement about the Mitty team entering the 2018 season. I for one was on board as to expecting possibly bigger things with the return of their talented QB Shamir Bey as a junior and a year experience under his belt. The first game of the season Mitty faced an Oakdale team that had been hyped a bit more than they apparently deserved. When Mitty rolled over Oakdale by 42-14 fan excitement grew and many including myself thought “this was the Mitty team we were hoping to see”. The excitement was quickly tempered however as Mitty lost to Menlo-Atherton of the weaker PAL League by 28-21 the following week [at that time no one dreamed M-A would go 13-2 & win a state bowl game beating such powerhouse teams as Wilcox along the way. Mitty bounced back to beat Acalanes before stark reality set in with a 42-6 blow-out to Serra. For Mitty the 2018 season was a near mirror image of their 2016 in which they finished 5-6. Mitty had the QB and some other talented players, but not the roster depth and “horses” to go toe-to-toe with the likes of SF, VC & Serra. Shamir Bey the top returning QB from 2018 is indeed a fine HS QB but needs a good core group of support players for Mitty to have success. Mitty’s roster for 2018 showed 61 players, while the pre-season roster shows just 37 [which cannot be confirmed currently]. Last years roster also showed approx. 40 players not then seniors who could return to varsity this season, so the 37 incl. JV players would seem quite low. Mitty had a JV team that went 7-2 so hopefully there are more players to be added to the roster. A WCAL roster to have any depth and back-up players would be at minimum 40 players and more desirably 45.

Mitty 42-14 over Oakdale
M-A 28-21 over Mitty
Mitty 22-17 over Acalanes
Serra 42-6 over Mitty
Mitty 34-6 over Riordan
Mitty 35-14 over Bells
S.I. 38-24 over Mitty
VC 27-0 over Mitty
SF 28-7 over Mitty
Mitty 26-14 over SHC
Mitty 35-7 over Oak Grove CCS Open II Playoffs
VC 42-14 over Mitty CCS Open II Playoffs semi-final

Worst Game
The 38-24 loss to St. Ignatius in week 7 of the season. Mitty went in as the favored team and lost by 14 to the Wildcats who would go 3-8 on the season. It was Shamir Bey’s highest yardage total for the season and 3rd best total yards for the offense. Unfortunately fumbles, penalties, INT’s and general sloppy play doomed the Monarch’s in this game. It was simply a case of which team wanted the win more and in this day it was S.I.

Best Game
This had to be the Oakdale game resulting in the Mitty 42-14 victory in game 1 of the season.
While Oakdale was not quite the powerhouse we’d been led to believe Mitty played well, made big plays and had a solid win over a team that would go 9-4 over the season. The win and score differential also created a major buzz about Mitty after that first game. In looking back I could have also gone with the 28-21 loss to M-A as Mitty’s “other best game”. M-A in going 13-2 to win a state title beating the likes of Wilcox, Eureka & Lincoln [San Diego] was right up there with SF & VC end of the season. That Mitty game vs M-A was actually tied in the 4th quarter until M-A scored the go-ahead TD with 5 min. remaining. It just goes to show how well Mitty could play against a very good team when it was on its “A” game. Regardless I’ll go with the Oakdale win vs the M-A loss as “best game”.

Next Up: Serra “Padres”

One factor undermining the Monarchs has been changes in the coaching staff. They have had four different head coaches in less than a decade. That can't be helpful.

Granted regular coaching changes are generally not beneficial to any football program. In 2018 the offensive coordinator Sione Ta'ufo'ou took over for Keith Burns the previous 3-year head coach with a record of 18-17.
Ta'ufo'ou was the previous head coach at Menlo-Atherton from 2010-2014 and PAL Coach of the Year in 2011.
I think things will settle down in year 2 of the coaching change much like I think Serra will have adjusted better as well to last season's changes. I def think MItty will be better than the last 2 seasons, but to what degree is the BIG question.

For what it's worth, Cal Hi Sports says Valley Christian is "clearly" the best team in the Central Coast Section this year.

Of note regarding the Mitty Monarchs 2018 review and upcoming season.

I'd mentioned about Mitty's QB Shamir Bey being the #2 QB last season and would be the top WCAL QB returning this season. Here's what I neglected to mention of importance. Seeing the roster from last season and reading an article about Bey he's gotten a bit bigger working with weights during the off-season instead of playing basketball. Last seasons roster had Bey at 6'2-196 and he is now listed at 6'3-207. Also that Bey was injured for part of the 2018 season missing 4 games, so his passing/running stats were only for 8 games. Using Bey's per game averages had he played all 12 games he would have surpassed Serra's Luke Bottari as the WCAL's top passer. As it stands Bottari threw 18 TD's in 12 games while Bey threw 18 TD's in 8 games. Bottari had 9 INT's while Bey had 7. I imagine Bey will be getting even more looks from the next level this season.

Of note regarding the Mitty Monarchs 2018 review and upcoming season.

I'd mentioned about Mitty's QB Shamir Bey being the #2 QB last season and would be the top WCAL QB returning this season. Here's what I neglected to mention of importance. Seeing the roster from last season and reading an article about Bey he's gotten a bit bigger working with weights during the off-season instead of playing basketball. Last seasons roster had Bey at 6'2-196 and he is now listed at 6'3-207. Also that Bey was injured for part of the 2018 season missing 4 games, so his passing/running stats were only for 8 games. Using Bey's per game averages had he played all 12 games he would have surpassed Serra's Luke Bottari as the WCAL's top passer. As it stands Bottari threw 18 TD's in 12 games while Bey threw 18 TD's in 8 games. Bottari had 9 INT's while Bey had 7. I imagine Bey will be getting even more looks from the next level this season.

The summer between junior and senior years is critical for most high school athletes. Has Bey received any firm scholarship offers for his services at this juncture?

Offers from Howard, and William and Mary. Maybe some interest from Baylor.
Agree. He's an athlete in addition to QB. I agree his list will grow. I think there is at least one Pac 12 school that may have interest but forgot which one. His injury set him back last season and this season should have a big year.

BNG-L-HONORBOWL-0825-1.jpg

Serra Padres of San Mateo take the field in the Honor Bowl to face Serra Cavaliers of Gardena, SoCal at campuscof St. Francis High Mt. View Saturday, Aug. 25, 2018. (photo courtesy Vytas Mazeika / Bay Area News Group)

Serra “Padres” 2018 Record 7-5
Major coaching changes took place for the Padres after the 2017 season when Serra won a state championship for the first time in school history & the Serra offense re-wrote the record book [mostly for records on offense]. Serra lost its offensive coordinator Steven Lo to St. John’s Bosco and lost as well Chris Vasseur the defensive coordinator to Clovis in Fresno County. Serra lost 2 main cogs in its successful coaching staff during a solid run the past 5 years’. Since Serra h added new assistants as QB coach and D-line coach acting with Coach Walsh under his direction [please correct me if any info inaccurate]. So both departing assistant coaches highly regarded and considered difficult pieces to replace. Looking at highly successful seasons prior to 2018 it becomes obvious where Serra “derailed” so to speak. In 2016 Serra made it to a state bowl game losing by a mere 2 points. In 2017 Serra erased many of the Padres football records via its all time passing leader Luke Bottari & perhaps its best group of 4 WR’s the WCAL has ever seen along with 2 exceptional RB’s AND with the WCAL’s best return player - to stun a favored El Cajon team by 38-14. The Serra 2017 team IMO opinion was the greatest team the Padres have ever put on the football field. In 2016 the Padres came close to winning state & in 2017 a stunning unpredictable win over a SoCal power to end a remarkable and improbable season.

In 2018 Serra looked very similar early on though losing marquis players. The shocking eye-opener was that Serra in ’18 was no longer competitive with either VC or SF and suffered 3 blow-out losses in which Serra never posed a threat to either team. Much of the talk has been the O-Line and also shifted to the D-Line. Was it either or both? Or was it a combination of coaching & loss of some of the best players in Serra’s recent football history? I will go with the latter suggestion that it was both loss of graduating players & coaching [players #1 cause]. Serra did not posses a big play RB in ’18 and not one WR as good as any of the 4 that graduated in 2018. In other words the Serra offensive machine of 2017-2018 was no longer the threat it had previously been. I’ve researched the games & stats and the more you look the more obvious it becomes. All aspects of Serra’s offense suffered in 2018 and why Luke Bottari was not effective against the better team defenses. While Bottari was excellent in 2016 & 2017 he had 2 excellent RB’s and 4 excellent WR’s plus the WCAL’s best kick returner in Malakai Rango [responsible for KO return against Cajon in state bowl game to seal the Serra win]. In 2018 the exceptional 2 RB’s & 4 exceptional WR’s were now gone as well as Rango.

In 2016 & 2017 the Serra passing game was unstoppable at 206 YPG. In 2018 it dropped to 157.
In 2016 & 2017 the Serra run game was unstoppable at 220 YPG. In 2018 it dropped to 144.
In 2016 & 2017 Serra offense scored an avg of 82 TD’s each season. In 2018 it dropped to 51.
In 2016 & 2017 Serra offense scored an average of 603 points. In 2018 it dropped to 411.
In 2016 & 2017 the Serra Defense gave up avg of 358 points. In 2018 it dropped to 260 points.
* I do not use the word “unstoppable” lightly as many of the 2016 + 2017 Serra games were over by ½ time and the starters pulled – in which the scoring & stats could have been decidedly much higher.

Serra Padres 2018 Record 7-5
Serra of Gardena-SoCal 41-22 over Serra-San Mateo
Serra 41-17 over Elk Grove
Pitt 45-35 over Serra
Serra 42-6 over Mitty
Serra 43-0 over Bells
Serra 57-6 over Riordan
VC 37-6 over Serra
Serra 50-14 over S.I.
Serra 42-0 over SHC
SF 42-7 over Serra
Serra 58-14 over Leland – CCS Open II Playoffs 1rst Round
SF 38-8 over Serra – CCS Open II semi-final – end of season for Serra

Worst Game
This was unfortunately a tie of 3 games in which Serra lost to VC by 37-6 and SF by 42-7 and then SF again by 38-8. It was not a fluke of one game or simply a “bad game” by Serra, the VC & SF teams were just than much better – defeats of 31, 35 & 30 points. The Serra offense stalled throughout & the defense wore down over the course of the games.

Best Game
Serra excelled against the weaker teams of the WCAL and lost 2 of its 3 pre-season games, so a difficult choice to make. A 10-point loss to a pretty decent Pitt team or a lopsided win against a weaker opponent? I tend to lean towards the win vs the loss & so will choose the Mitty 42-6 win by Serra. Mitty lost in a close game to M-A and actually was more competitive against both VC & SF than Serra so that is Serra’s signature win for 2018 season.

Conclusion: First of all there are some variables in the components due to different teams in each of the seasons. The best team Serra defeated in the 3 seasons was Cajon and that win was by 38-14 which is still shocking when you look at each teams record and then watch the game itself [I have viewed 3 times before wife accidentally deleted it – or was it accidental [??..]

So defense was better in 2018 while a dramatic drop-off in offense production. Serra’s 2018 offense could not score against the higher caliber teams & though the defense was on field more Serra defense played admirably in matching up against 2016-17. In those years Serra simply outscored opponents. Coaching changes in itself had some effect no doubt, however the primary cause of Serra’s dramatic decline in 2018 was lack of offensive weapons losing 7 exceptional players on offense from those terrific 2016 & 2017 teams.

Next Up: St. Ignatius “Wildcats”

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
BNG-L-HONORBOWL-0825-1.jpg

Serra Padres of San Mateo take the field in the Honor Bowl to face Serra Cavaliers of Gardena, SoCal at campuscof St. Francis High Mt. View Saturday, Aug. 25, 2018. (photo courtesy Vytas Mazeika / Bay Area News Group)

Serra “Padres” 2018 Record 7-5
Major coaching changes took place for the Padres after the 2017 season when Serra won a state championship for the first time in school history & the Serra offense re-wrote the record book [mostly for records on offense]. Serra lost its offensive coordinator Steven Lo to St. John’s Bosco and lost as well Chris Vasseur the defensive coordinator to Clovis in Fresno County. Serra lost 2 main cogs in its successful coaching staff during a solid run the past 5 years’. Since Serra h added new assistants as QB coach and D-line coach acting with Coach Walsh under his direction [please correct me if any info inaccurate]. So both departing assistant coaches highly regarded and considered difficult pieces to replace. Looking at highly successful seasons prior to 2018 it becomes obvious where Serra “derailed” so to speak. In 2016 Serra made it to a state bowl game losing by a mere 2 points. In 2017 Serra erased many of the Padres football records via its all time passing leader Luke Bottari & perhaps its best group of 4 WR’s the WCAL has ever seen along with 2 exceptional RB’s AND with the WCAL’s best return player - to stun a favored El Cajon team by 38-14. The Serra 2017 team IMO opinion was the greatest team the Padres have ever put on the football field. In 2016 the Padres came close to winning state & in 2017 a stunning unpredictable win over a SoCal power to end a remarkable and improbable season.

In 2018 Serra looked very similar early on though losing marquis players. The shocking eye-opener was that Serra in ’18 was no longer competitive with either VC or SF and suffered 3 blow-out losses in which Serra never posed a threat to either team. Much of the talk has been the O-Line and also shifted to the D-Line. Was it either or both? Or was it a combination of coaching & loss of some of the best players in Serra’s recent football history? I will go with the latter suggestion that it was both loss of graduating players & coaching [players #1 cause]. Serra did not posses a big play RB in ’18 and not one WR as good as any of the 4 that graduated in 2018. In other words the Serra offensive machine of 2017-2018 was no longer the threat it had previously been. I’ve researched the games & stats and the more you look the more obvious it becomes. All aspects of Serra’s offense suffered in 2018 and why Luke Bottari was not effective against the better team defenses. While Bottari was excellent in 2016 & 2017 he had 2 excellent RB’s and 4 excellent WR’s plus the WCAL’s best kick returner in Malakai Rango [responsible for KO return against EL Cajon in state bowl game to seal the Serra win]. In 2018 the exceptional 2 RB’s & 4 exceptional WR’s were now gone as well as Rango.

In 2016 & 2017 the Serra passing game was unstoppable at 206 YPG. In 2018 it dropped to 157.
In 2016 & 2017 the Serra run game was unstoppable at 220 YPG. In 2018 it dropped to 144.
In 2016 & 2017 Serra offense scored an avg of 82 TD’s each season. In 2018 it dropped to 51.
In 2016 & 2017 Serra offense scored an average of 603 points. In 2018 it dropped to 411.
In 2016 & 2017 the Serra Defense gave up avg of 358 points. In 2018 it dropped to 260 points.
* I do not use the word “unstoppable” lightly as many of the 2016 + 2017 Serra games were over by ½ time and the starters pulled – in which the scoring & stats could have been decidedly much higher.

Serra Padres 2018 Record 7-5
Serra of Gardena-SoCal 41-22 over Serra-San Mateo
Serra 41-17 over Elk Grove
Pitt 45-35 over Serra
Serra 42-6 over Mitty
Serra 43-0 over Bells
Serra 57-6 over Riordan
VC 37-6 over Serra
Serra 50-14 over S.I.
Serra 42-0 over SHC
SF 42-7 over Serra
Serra 58-14 over Leland – CCS Open II Playoffs 1rst Round
SF 38-8 over Serra – CCS Open II semi-final – end of season for Serra

Worst Game
This was unfortunately a tie of 3 games in which Serra lost to VC by 37-6 and SF by 42-7 and then SF again by 38-8. It was not a fluke of one game or simply a “bad game” by Serra, the VC & SF teams were just than much better – defeats of 31, 35 & 30 points. The Serra offense stalled throughout & the defense wore down over the course of the games.

Best Game
Serra excelled against the weaker teams of the WCAL and lost 2 of its 3 pre-season games, so a difficult choice to make. A 10-point loss to a pretty decent Pitt team or a lopsided win against a weaker opponent? I tend to lean towards the win vs the loss & so will choose the Mitty 42-6 win by Serra. Mitty lost in a close game to M-A and actually was more competitive against both VC & SF than Serra so that is Serra’s signature win for 2018 season.

Conclusion: First of all there are some variables in the components due to different teams in each of the seasons. The best team Serra defeated in the 3 seasons was El Cajon and that win was by 38-14 which is still shocking when you look at each teams record and then watch the game itself [I have viewed 3 times before wife accidentally deleted it – or was it accidental [??..]

So defense was better in 2018 while a dramatic drop-off in offense production. Serra’s 2018 offense could not score against the higher caliber teams & though the defense was on field more Serra defense played admirably in matching up against 2016-17. In those years Serra simply outscored opponents. Coaching changes in itself had some effect no doubt, however the primary cause of Serra’s dramatic decline in 2018 was lack of offensive weapons losing 7 exceptional players on offense from those terrific 2016 & 2017 teams.

Next Up: St. Ignatius “Wildcats”

Any thoughts, specifics, key individuals, new additions, etc. re Serra's 2019 unit? Or does that come later?

For what it's worth, Cal Hi Sports says Valley Christian is "clearly" the best team in the Central Coast Section this year.

TBD

49ers Cal Hi Sports will be following the Warriors this year with a web series called The Season. I guess they expect big things from VC this year. We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
Any thoughts, specifics, key individuals, new additions, etc. re Serra's 2019 unit? Or does that come later?

I will be breaking down the teams further once I complete the reviews of last season for each team [4 teams to go].
As I see it so far Serra will be better than last year on offense and defense will be at least on par as well.
Serra has some good athletes & will have an athletic QB who can also scramble and some good WR's. For me the big question is the RB position for the Padres. Last year that position was their weak spot on offense and they will need to be much more productive. VC has far & above the best backfield at this point and it looks as though either Serra or Mitty a distant 2nd.

In 2016 Serra had Leki Nunn & Isaiah Kendrick who with reserve RB help accounted for 2500+ yards.
In 2017 Serra had David Coker & Isaiah Kendrick & with add'l reserve RB's accounted for 2800+ yards.
In 2018 Serra relied mainly on Nate Sanchez [498 yards] & departed senior Malakai Rango [340 yards] along with others for total of approx. 1400 yards.

In 2016 Serra averaged 190 YPG rushing.
In 2017 Serra averaged 230 YPG rushing.
In 2018 Serra averaged 144 YPG rushing.

In 2018 VC rushed for nearly 3800 yards and averaged 252 YPG.
VC returns the leagues leading RB Isaiah McElvane - 1204 yards in '18 with 7.3 APC.
VC returns the leagues leading FB rusher in Michael Corini - 621 yards in '18 with 6.0 APC.
AND VC has several other very capable RB's to compliment the above 2 starters.

Reactions: THEOC89
I will be breaking down the teams further once I complete the reviews of last season for each team [4 teams to go].
As I see it so far Serra will be better than last year on offense and defense will be at least on par as well.
Serra has some good athletes & will have an athletic QB who can also scramble and some good WR's. For me the big question is the RB position for the Padres. Last year that position was their weak spot on offense and they will need to be much more productive. VC has far & above the best backfield at this point and it looks as though either Serra or Mitty a distant 2nd.

In 2016 Serra had Leki Nunn & Isaiah Kendrick who with reserve RB help accounted for 2500+ yards.
In 2017 Serra had David Coker & Isaiah Kendrick & with add'l reserve RB's accounted for 2800+ yards.
In 2018 Serra relied mainly on Nate Sanchez [498 yards] & departed senior Malakai Rango [340 yards] along with others for total of approx. 1400 yards.

VC returns the leagues leading RB Isaiah McElvane - 1204 yards in '18 with 7.3 APC.
VC returns the leagues leading FB rusher in Michael Corini - 621 yards in '18 with 6.0 APC.

Never sleep on the Lancers. They are still formidable. Maybe not quite up to the level of VC this year, especially in terms of quality depth. But talented nonetheless.

Serra Running Backs will be Vince Poni cousin of Nate Sanchez up from JV last season. Tough hard running back is also on the track team, Nate Sanchez and Jackson Lataimua. With McLemore being such a threat running the need for depth at RB is minimized. Unlike VC and SF offenses which depend mainly on the RB's for their offense, Serra last season went with a 1 back set for most of the games. However Luke Bottari was not as much of a threat in running as Daylin Mc Lemore

Serra Running Backs will be Vince Poni cousin of Nate Sanchez up from JV last season. Tough hard running back is also on the track team, Nate Sanchez and Jackson Lataimua. With McLemore being such a threat running the need for depth at RB is minimized. Unlike VC and SF offenses which depend mainly on the RB's for their offense, Serra last season went with a 1 back set for most of the games. However Luke Bottari was not as much of a threat in running as Daylin Mc Lemore

Is Eaton out for the season?

Thanks for providing that info Spartanwhoknows. I had gone through the WCAL final track results and spotted "Vince Poni" as coming in 2nd in the JV 100 meters [11.63] and winning the JV 200 meters [24.01]. Knowing he was on JV I had included him in the Serra players to watch in 2019 as shown below.

"Vince Poni – 5’10-160 FS was fastest player in WCAL JV’s last season & adds more speed for Padres."

While last year Vince Poni was a bit off the fastest varsity sprinters times I'm sure Vince has gotten a tick or 2 faster since.

As to team speed this season VC will have the fastest player while Serra appears to have the most overall speed.
* VC - Devan Vanderbilt WR/DB won men's WCAL 100 Meters in 10.94
* Serra - Dylan Eaton RB/WR came in 3rd place men's 100M in 11.09 [Eaton injured & out]
* Serra - Nate Sanchez RB came in 7th in men's 100M in 11.25
* Serra - Terrance Loville WR just missed men's 100 M finals at 11.27
* Serra - Vince Poni RB took 2nd place in WCAL JV 100M at 11.63

Reactions: colhenrylives
How Fast is FAST in the high school 100 Meters you ask?

I've always liked and followed track & field and been to many meets over the years'. I just listed some of the fastest players in the WCAL and thought I'd put fast in perspective for those fans unknowing.

* Anything under 11.0 in the men's 100M in HS is fast.
* CA, TX, & FL generally have the fastest 100M state finals times ranging in the low 10.3' to mostly 10.4 - 10.7's.
* Only a handful of HS track stars as in 9 total have ever cracked 10.15 secs.
* Only 2 young men have ever cracked the 10.0 second barrier with 9.99 recorded 8 years ago.
* The fastest 100M time ever recorded took place just a few months ago in TX on April 27,2019 at 9.98.

Fastest 100M ever by a HS track athlete:

Matthew Boling's 9.98 would have placed him 7th in the last summer Olympics at Rio. He is currently ranked as the 33rd fastest person in the world. 2019 is his first year running track

How Fast is FAST in the high school 100 Meters you ask?

I've always liked and followed track & field and been to many meets over the years'. I just listed some of the fastest players in the WCAL and thought I'd put fast in perspective for those fans unknowing.

* Anything under 11.0 in the men's 100M in HS is fast.
* CA, TX, & FL generally have the fastest 100M state finals times ranging in the low 10.3' to mostly 10.4 - 10.7's.
* Only a handful of HS track stars as in 9 total have ever cracked 10.15 secs.
* Only 2 young men have ever cracked the 10.0 second barrier with 9.99 recorded 8 years ago.
* The fastest 100M time ever recorded took place just a few months ago in TX on April 27,2019 at 9.98.

Fastest 100M ever by a HS track athlete:

Matthew Boling's 9.98 would have placed him 7th in the last summer Olympics at Rio. He is currently ranked as the 33rd fastest person in the world. 2019 is his first year running track

Good heavens. Stunning talent. Any truth to the created rumor that he's transferring to Riordan and the boarding program? (Just kidding).

Reactions: Rmbr26
  1. Good heavens. Stunning talent. Any truth to the created rumor that he's transferring to Riordan and the boarding program? (Just kidding).
    Haha. He’s following Coach Modeste as both are from Strake Jesuit in Houston.

Good heavens. Stunning talent. Any truth to the created rumor that he's transferring to Riordan and the boarding program? (Just kidding).

Ha! Got me goin' on that one Col - why is it we ALWAYS pick on Riordan, be it if only in jest!
[while we silently root for the Crusaders']... ;):rolleyes: Purple & Gold my "dark horse" this season...

Last edited:

Ha! Got me goin' on that one Col - why is it we ALWAYS pick on Riordan, be in only in jest!
[while we silently root for the Crusaders']... ;):rolleyes: Purple & Gold my "dark horse" this season...

No question. Somewhere deep inside there lies a soft spot for the Crusaders (and the Irish). Neither has the resources of their SF neighbor, SI.

Thanks for providing that info Spartanwhoknows. I had gone through the WCAL final track results and spotted "Vince Poni" as coming in 2nd in the JV 100 meters [11.63] and winning the JV 200 meters [24.01]. Knowing he was on JV I had included him in the Serra players to watch in 2019 as shown below.

"Vince Poni – 5’10-160 FS was fastest player in WCAL JV’s last season & adds more speed for Padres."

While last year Vince Poni was a bit off the fastest varsity sprinters times I'm sure Vince has gotten a tick or 2 faster since.

As to team speed this season VC will have the fastest player while Serra appears to have the most overall speed.
* VC - Devan Vanderbilt WR/DB won men's WCAL 100 Meters in 10.94
* Serra - Dylan Eaton RB/WR came in 3rd place men's 100M in 11.09 [Eaton injured & out]
* Serra - Nate Sanchez RB came in 7th in men's 100M in 11.25
* Serra - Terrance Loville WR just missed men's 100 M finals at 11.27
* Serra - Vince Poni RB took 2nd place in WCAL JV 100M at 11.63

Besides being fast they are very good football players. Poni will allow Sanchez and Lataimua more freedom on Defense and time to rest since they will also be on special teams.

Another player to watch is Dominique Lampkin the Frosh QB from last year. He will be the Free Safety. He is a real talent ( D1) and will probably be the QB next season

Reactions: colhenrylives
Question for Spartanwhoknows - Vince Poni the speedy junior is not on the large size of the spectrum as HS RB's go at 5'10-160 which makes sense as a sprinter & therefore his carries will be more limited and likely to the outside perimeter rather than "up the gut" against the likes of VC & SF massive D-lines. So Poni was listed as a FS on JV roster and with his speed that would seem to make him a valuable asset in the Padre secondary. Is it reasonable to think he is durable enough to play D-secondary and also get 3-6 carries per game?

Question for Spartanwhoknows - Vince Poni the speedy junior is not on the large size of the spectrum as HS RB's go at 5'10-160 which makes sense as a sprinter & therefore his carries will be more limited and likely to the outside perimeter rather than "up the gut" against the likes of VC & SF massive D-lines. So Poni was listed as a FS on JV roster and with his speed that would seem to make him a valuable asset in the Padre secondary. Is it reasonable to think he is durable enough to play D-secondary and also get 3-6 carries per game?

The Padres have quality DB’s with experience across the board. I would imagine the more pressing need would be at running back. They also return a good fullback in Watson Latu. He was a soph on varsity last year.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Wow. Serra and VC seem to be super teams this year. It sounds like the Lancers will be picking their poison.

I’m not that close to SF’s program anymore. In fact I’m closer to De La Salle’s program. Seriously I am. We moved to Walnut Creek last year.

Reactions: observer22
Lots of hype for a player from Serra's winless JV team of last season.
Why aren't you guys talking up Hassan " The Missle" . Is he a secret weapon?

Last edited:
Especially since they were thin at running back last year
Either way it seems the Padres have a lot of skill guys as always

Besides being fast they are very good football players. Poni will allow Sanchez and Lataimua more freedom on Defense and time to rest since they will also be on special teams.

Another player to watch is Dominique Lampkin the Frosh QB from last year. He will be the Free Safety. He is a real talent ( D1) and will probably be the QB next season

How many sophs will start on offense and defense for Serra?

Gallegos-Hunkin-Riordan.jpg

Siaki Gallegos-Hunkin (31) tackles Lavaka Kefu (22) of Archbishop Riordan in the second quarter of a WCAL game on Oct. 27, 2018, at Kezar Stadium. (Ryan Gorcey / S.F. Examiner)

St. Ignatius “Wildcats” 3-8
It is tough to forecast just where the once formidable Wildcats football program is headed these days.
S.I.’s program in recent years has made little attempt to attract those with talent wishing to play football at the HS level. The fan base seems indifferent or at least that’s the perception to outsiders. S.I. besides the Bells has become the 2nd of the 8 WCAL schools to not submit statistics of any kind to MaxPreps or any other site to help promote both their program and their players. It only takes but a single student to submit S.I.’s games statistics, but as their football program has languished this simple task has also fallen by the wayside. Football at St. Ignatius has fallen far down the ladder of interest it seems to students, faculty and alumni [correct me please if I’m wrong]. Both Riordan and the SHC Irish show stronger fan base support than the larger St. Ignatius college prep [I'm trying to remember the last time an S.I. football fan posted on the NCP forum board - maybe 2 seasons ago??]. So let’s review 2018 to see if any indication of change in the S.I. football forecast for the near future.

In 2018 S.I. struggled at 3-8 in what has become a pattern. In 2017 the record was 3-7, in 2016 it was 4-6, 2015 sunk to 1-9, 2014 was a “banner year’ at 7-6 and 2013 was 4-9. The 2014 team was actually quite good with a record of 7-6 as S.I. lost 4 games by 3 points or less that season. They made it to the Div. III CCS Championship only to lose by 11-8 to Westmont. Back to the present and last season. Here’s a look at the record for 2018”

St. Ignatius 2018 Record
Palo Alto 21-14 over S.I.
- A well played game by S.I. that went down to the wire
Campolindo 34-21 over S.I. – Again not a bad effort but Campo just a better team
Gonzaga Prep 42-37 over S. I. – Like Paly & Campo the G.P. team was rated much higher.
SF 31-6 over S.I.
VC 41-0 over S.I.
SHC 26-21 over S.I.
– At one time considered an upset, but times have changed.
S.I. 34-21 over Mitty – No one saw this coming & still unexplainable ....
Serra 50-14 over S.I. – Its no secret that in recent years the Padres have owned S.I.
S.I. 35-0 over Riordan - Surprising score was expected to be closer.
S.I. 34-0 over Bells – While S.I. a slight favorite nobody expected a blow-out.
SHP 13-7 over S.I. – A completely “winnable” game but the Wildcats fall short to end season.

Worst Game
The 50-14 loss at Serra was yet another blow-out loss in a series of blow-outs to the Padres down in San Mateo. In retrospect Serra’s offense was not up to par with previous years and had trouble scoring at all against VC or SF, yet was able to pile on 50 points and S.I. was never really in the game. While S.I. was competitive in many of its games the gap between the Wildcats & then SF, VC & Serra remains large.

Best Game
Easily the 38-24 win over a pretty decent Mitty team in week 7 of the season. S.I. was a 10-14 point underdog going into this game and many including myself thought perhaps Mitty would win easily. While S.I. finished 3-8 for the season 4 of the losses were by 1 score or less and all of those games were “winnable”. Switch those 4 losses and suddenly S.I. would have been 7-4 and we’d be having an entirely different discussion. The win over Mitty & close losses to both Palo Alto and SHP show that S.I. was competitive with most mid-level teams. This season will depend of course on final roster numbers and talent at the skill positions. Will it be status quo for the Wildcats or can they turn the corner after 4 losing seasons in a row?

Next Up: SHC “Irish”

Siaki Gallegos-Hunkin (31) tackles Lavaka Kefu (22) of Archbishop Riordan in the second quarter of a WCAL game on Oct. 27, 2018, at Kezar Stadium. (Ryan Gorcey / S.F. Examiner)

It is tough to forecast just where the once formidable Wildcats football program is headed these days.
S.I.’s program in recent years has made little attempt to attract those with talent wishing to play football at the HS level. The fan base seems indifferent or at least that’s the perception to outsiders. S.I. besides the Bells has become the 2nd of the 8 WCAL schools to not submit statistics of any kind to MaxPreps or any other site to help promote both their program and their players. It only takes but a single student to submit S.I.’s games statistics, but as their football program has languished this simple task has also fallen by the wayside. Football at St. Ignatius has fallen far down the ladder of interest it seems to students, faculty and alumni [correct me please if I’m wrong]. Both Riordan and the SHC Irish show stronger fan base support than the larger St. Ignatius college prep [I'm trying to remember the last time an S.I. football fan posted on the NCP forum board - maybe 2 seasons ago??]. So let’s review 2018 to see if any indication of change in the S.I. football forecast for the near future.

In 2018 S.I. struggled at 3-8 in what has become a pattern. In 2017 the record was 3-7, in 2016 it was 4-6, 2015 sunk to 1-9, 2014 was a “banner year’ at 7-6 and 2013 was 4-9. The 2014 team was actually quite good with a record of 7-6 as S.I. lost 4 games by 3 points or less that season. They made it to the Div. III CCS Championship only to lose by 11-8 to Westmont. Back to the present and last season. Here’s a look at the record for 2018”

St. Ignatius 2018 Record
Campolindo 34-21 over S.I. – Again not a bad effort but Campo just a better team
Gonzaga Prep 42-37 over S. I. – Like Paly & Campo the G.P. team was rated much higher.
SF 31-6 over S.I.
VC 41-0 over S.I.
SHC 26-21 over S.I.
Serra 50-14 over S.I. – Its no secret that in recent years the Padres have owned S.I.
SHP 13-7 over S.I. – A completely “winnable” game but the Wildcats fall short to end season.

Worst Game
The 50-14 loss at Serra was yet another blow-out loss in a series of blow-outs to the Padres down in San Mateo. In retrospect Serra’s offense was not up to par with previous years and had trouble scoring at all against VC or SF, yet was able to pile on 50 points and S.I. was never really in the game. While S.I. was competitive in many of its games the gap between the Wildcats & then SF, VC & Serra remains large.

Best Game
Easily the 38-24 win over a pretty decent Mitty team in week 7 of the season. S.I. was a 10-14 point underdog going into this game and many including myself thought perhaps Mitty would win easily. While S.I. finished 3-8 for the season 4 of the losses were by 1 score or less and all of those games were “winnable”. Switch those 4 losses and suddenly S.I. would have been 7-4 and we’d be having an entirely different discussion. The win over Mitty & close losses to both Palo Alto and SHP show that S.I. was competitive with most mid-level teams. This season will depend of course on final roster numbers and talent at the skill positions. Will it be status quo for the Wildcats or can they turn the corner after 4 losing seasons in a row?

SI's admissions office does not appear to provide a whole lot of sports-based exceptions. Which means potential football guys are not being admitted to the school, assuming they even apply. The SI marketing/PR department doesn't need a terrific football program to goose enrollment or the image of the school. The Jesuit school, which dates back to the 19th century, has more than enough quality applicants without worrying about football. It's a lot like Bellarmine in San Jose (although the Bells' WCAL football pedigree is far stronger). SI's lacrosse program is far more successful. That's a suburban sport; athletes and their parents are looking toward East Coast schools that like to see lacrosse on applicants' bios. Football? Not so much. The SI male demographics are definitely not skewed toward football at all. In theory, SI would be much better off in a two-tier WCAL (which would include schools like Marin Catholic and Sacred Heart Prep, by the way). But that does not seem likely at this point. So SI is stuck playing powerhouses like VC, SF and Serra on a regular basis. Those three schools emphasize football in a very big way. Their rosters are nearly double the size of SI's and the sport is a priority. It's a formula for failure for SI. At least for now.

Last edited:

St. Ignatius 2018 Record
SF 31-6 over S.I.
VC 41-0 over S.I.
SHC 26-21 over S.I.

Worst Game

Best Game

SI does have a few very good players in Hunkin, Taylor-Smith and Buchanan. Like with the other City schools, depth and keeping the star players healthy are keys to having a competitive season.

A rare occurrence is an SH football win against SI in 2017. Someone slap me in the face because SH beat SI again in football in 2018. Wake me up! The demise of SI's football program is clear. They arent exactly rolling over though. The kids still play hard. They used to be at least a good game vs SF, VC and Serra. Those schools are in their own class now. Give credit to Coach Mac at SH for really putting together a competitive football program with staff that really works with the players they have. SH isnt in the same level as the other schools either, but if they manage to own the city matchups that works for me.

A rare occurrence is an SH football win against SI in 2017. Someone slap me in the face because SH beat SI again in football in 2018. Wake me up! The demise of SI's football program is clear. They arent exactly rolling over though. The kids still play hard. They used to be at least a good game vs SF, VC and Serra. Those schools are in their own class now. Give credit to Coach Mac at SH for really putting together a competitive football program with staff that really works with the players they have. SH isnt in the same level as the other schools either, but if they manage to own the city matchups that works for me.

In your view, is a two-tier WCAL even possible anymore? One hopeful note: Marin Catholic is only a marginal (non-title-eligible) football member of the MCAL these days. A football-only move to the WCAL would not be an outrageous suggestion at this point. For some perspective, SHC has never won a WCAL football championship at any of the three league levels; Riordan has won or shared three varsity and two JV crowns (zero frosh titles); SI has won or shared two varsity, three JV and two frosh crowns. Those are stunning numbers, all provided by the WCAL website. Since the league was created in 1967, the City schools simply do not attract sufficient numbers of reasonably competitive young football players. The SHC case (the Irish left the league in football for many years and then re-joined) is especially worrisome. The imbalance with the southern WCAL schools is getting worse.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT