ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

WCAL Football 2019-20: Serra 11-1 vs VC 11-1

Tale of the Tape:

Since there was an obvious change at QB for Serra looking at any stats which include games prior to that are now somewhat meaningless. I'll review those games since the change to see how the Serra offense and team has changed or adapted since their #1 position underwent change. Obviously VC has not had any such change so their stats remain unchanged as to any "adjustments". So here's a look at Serra the first 8 games with McLemore and the last 4 games with the replacement QB Lampkin.

* Serra first 8 games on offense = 41.8 PPG [points per game]
* Serra last 4 games on offense = 23.0 PPG
* Serra first 8 games on defense allowed 14.8 PPG
* Serra last 4 games on defense allowed 10.5

Now to rate each teams last 4 games as to opponents:
* VC lost to Serra 10-0 [Serra rating 55.5]
* VC win over Mitty 28-0 [Mitty rating 27.4]
* VC win over SF 25-3 [SF rating 31.5]
* VC win over S.I. 28-7 [S.I. rating 39.7]
* VC outscored opponents by 81-20
* In last 4 games VC avg 20 PPG on offense and allowed 5 PPG on defense
** VC opponent avg rating of 3 wins of last 4 games = 32.8

* Serra win over VC 10-0 [VC rating 52.6]
* Serra lost to S.I. 14-13 [S.I. rating 39.7]
* Serra win over HMB 42-14 [HMB rating of 30.9]
* Serra win over Wilcos 27-14 [Wilcox rating of 39.9]
* Serra outscored opponents by 92-42
* In last 4 games Serra avg 23 PPG on offense and allowed 10.5 PPG on defense
** Serra opponent rating of 3 wins of last 4 games = 41.3

During the last 4 games:
* Serra is avg almost 13 PPG less on offense while allowing 4 PPG less on defense
* VC is avg approx. 9 PPG less on offense while allowing the same 5 PPG on defense

The first Serra vs VC game versus the rematch:
The basic stats point to Serra scoring substantially less while giving up slightly less on defense. This is of course effected by Serra playing 3 of its highest rated opponents of the season in VC, S.I. & Wilcox.
Serra should be in similar shape as the first meeting.

VC vs S.I. 1rst game [17-7] and 2nd meeting last week [28-7]
S.I. took a lead into the 4th quarter in the first game while VC dominated the 2nd meeting of the 2 teams. Looking at what took place for S.I. the score differential could have been much worse.

1rst VC-S.I. Game: 17-7
Teddye Buchanan & Danny Ryan both have great games and at the 1/2 VC clings to a 3-0 lead from a 29-yard Lucas Ramirez FG. Near end of the 3rd quarter Buchanan passes to Danny Ryan who had 10 receptions for a TD to take the lead 7-3 into the 4th. With 10 minutes left in game after converting a 4th & 3 at S.I. 26 VC is able to run it in for a 10-7 lead. With under 4 min left Buchanan throws an INT which results in VC's final score to make it 17-7 which was the final. A close game by all accounts [VC RB Isaiah McElvance held to 70 yards on 18 carries].

2nd VC-S.I. Game last week: 28-7
The day prior to game 1/2 dozen or so S.I. players come down with the flu including numerous starters and star WR Danny Ryan. S.I.'s star 2 way lineman Beau Gardner is hobbled by an ankle injury as well. VC marches down field on opening possession and scores TD 6 minutes into game. VC shortly after marches down to score a 2nd TD and VC up 14-0. S.I. replaces an ailing Teddye Buchanan with Zach Taylor Smith at QB who is able to guide the Wildcats to their lone score to make it 14-7 at the 1/2. In the 3rd VC makes it 21-7. S.I. in 2nd half has a drive stall in VC's red zone, but Zach Taylor Smith throws for a 12-yard TD - which is then nullified by a penalty resulting in no score. In the 4th VC scores one more TD for 28-7. S.I. has a late 4th quarter drive in which on 4th & goal Zach Taylor Smith comes up just short of the goal line on a questionable call to deprive S.I. of a final score. S.I. like the first game had 2 INT's. VC's McElvane in this game rushed for 120 yards vs 70 in game 1.
Overall in game one S.I. held VC to 127 yards rushing with a 3.5 YPC avg. In game 2 VC rushed for 308 yards with a 6.4 YPC avg and 401 yards total offense.

Conclusion: S.I. missing key players and others ill from the flu really did not have much chance in this game.
Even so S.I. had one TD nullified and came within a yard of a 3rd TD. The Buchanan to Danny Ryan connection was key along with Buchanan missing on D. The ankle injury to key 2-way lineman Beau Gardner was also a blow for the Wildcats. Had Serra played this S.I. team the Padres likely would have pulled away as well.

Upcoming VC 11-1 vs Serra 11-1:
I don't think too much can be taken of the VC 28-7 win over S.I. Was Serra's 27-14 win over Wilcox a better win than VC's over S.I.? Wilcox may have played its worst game of the season vs Serra with 3 lost fumbles and numerous penalties. Wilcox was also aided by a questionable large penalty on a 4th down that resulted in the first Wilcox TD. If there was a 2nd game between the 2 teams I believe the Padres would win again and by more than one score again. So the rematch between Serra and VC will be between the same teams/players as game one with no notable injuries at this time. I don't think VC's game plan will change much if at all from game #1. Coach Walsh is a bit more innovative and always has a surprise or 2 in big games. With VC's D and Serra's D game #2 should be a low scoring game as well. VC appears to have the edge on defense though Serra's D outplayed them in game #1. VC has the better rushing offense though overall Serra has more weapons to score with. FG's could be key in this game with VC's kicker Ramirez back in action after being injured during game #1 [Serra missed FG and PAT vs Wilcox which is a big concern for Padres]. Serra will need a similar effort on defense and if so should win by a small margin. With VC's D if the Warrior's can score 2 TD's or more then the Padres are in trouble.
Prediction: Serra 13-10

Tale of the Tape:

Since there was an obvious change at QB for Serra looking at any stats which include games prior to that are now somewhat meaningless. I'll review those games since the change to see how the Serra offense and team has changed or adapted since their #1 position underwent change. Obviously VC has not had any such change so their stats remain unchanged as to any "adjustments". So here's a look at Serra the first 8 games with McLemore and the last 4 games with the replacement QB Lampkin.

During the last 4 games:
* Serra is avg almost 13 PPG less on offense while allowing 4 PPG less on defense
* VC is avg approx. 9 PPG less on offense while allowing the same 5 PPG on defense

The basic stats point to Serra scoring substantially less while giving up slightly less on defense. This is of course effected by Serra playing 3 of its highest rated opponents of the season in VC, S.I. & Wilcox.

S.I. took a lead into the 4th quarter in the first game while VC dominated the 2nd meeting of the 2 teams. Looking at what took place for S.I. the score differential could have been much worse.

Teddye Buchanan & Danny Ryan both have great games and at the 1/2 VC clings to a 3-0 lead from a 29-yard Lucas Ramirez FG. Near end of the 3rd quarter Buchanan passes to Danny Ryan who had 10 receptions for a TD to take the lead 7-3 into the 4th. With 10 minutes left in game after converting a 4th & 3 at S.I. 26 VC is able to run it in for a 10-7 lead. With under 4 min left Buchanan throws an INT which results in VC's final score to make it 17-7 which was the final. A close game by all accounts [VC RB Isaiah McElvance held to 70 yards on 18 carries].

The day prior to game 1/2 dozen or so S.I. players come down with the flu including numerous starters and star WR Danny Ryan. S.I.'s star 2 way lineman Beau Gardner is hobbled by an ankle injury as well. VC marches down field on opening possession and scores TD 6 minutes into game. VC shortly after marches down to score a 2nd TD and VC up 14-0. S.I. replaces an ailing Teddye Buchanan with Zach Taylor Smith at QB who is able to guide the Wildcats to their lone score to make it 14-7 at the 1/2. In the 3rd VC makes it 21-7. S.I. in 2nd half has a drive stall in VC's red zone, but Zach Taylor Smith throws for a 12-yard TD - which is then nullified by a penalty resulting in no score. In the 4th VC scores one more TD for 28-7. S.I. has a late 4th quarter drive in which on 4th & goal Zach Taylor Smith comes up just short of the goal line on a questionable call to deprive S.I. of a final score. S.I. like the first game had 2 INT's. VC's McElvane in this game rushed for 120 yards vs 70 in game 1.
Overall in game one S.I. held VC to 127 yards rushing with a 3.5 YPC avg. In game 2 VC rushed for 308 yards with a 6.4 YPC avg and 401 yards total offense.

Conclusion: S.I. missing key players and others ill from the flu really did not have much chance in this game.
Even so S.I. had one TD nullified and came within a yard of a 3rd TD. The Buchanan to Danny Ryan connection was key along with Buchanan missing on D. The ankle injury to key 2-way lineman Beau Gardner was also a blow for the Wildcats. Had Serra played this S.I. team the Padres likely would have pulled away as well.

I don't think too much can be taken of the VC 28-7 win over S.I. Was Serra's 27-14 win over Wilcox a better win than VC's over S.I.? Wilcox may have played its worst game of the season vs Serra with 3 lost fumbles and numerous penalties. Wilcox was also aided by a questionable large penalty on a 4th down that resulted in the first Wilcox TD. If there was a 2nd game between the 2 teams I believe the Padres would win again and by more than one score again. So the rematch between Serra and VC will be between the same teams/players as game one with no notable injuries at this time. I don't think VC's game plan will change much if at all from game #1. Coach Walsh is a bit more innovative and always has a surprise or 2 in big games. With VC's D and Serra's D game #2 should be a low scoring game as well. VC appears to have the edge on defense though Serra's D outplayed them in game #1. VC has the better rushing offense though overall Serra has more weapons to score with. FG's could be key in this game with VC's kicker Ramirez back in action after being injured during game #1 [Serra missed FG and PAT vs Wilcox which is a big concern for Padres]. Serra will need a similar effort on defense and if so should win by a small margin. With VC's D if the Warrior's can score 2 TD's or more then the Padres are in trouble.
Where is this game being played

Tale of the Tape:

During the last 4 games:

Good analysis. VC’s offense needs to show up in this rematch. 0 points isn’t going to get it done, three scores might. If they can contain McLemore and don’t let him scramble, they have a shot. Hopefully VC’s “defense rules” the day and they avenge their sole loss.

I don't think VC's game plan will change much if at all from game #1. Coach Walsh is a bit more innovative and always has a surprise or 2 in big games.
Great analysis - maybe the best ever in your history of incredible analyses.

Although I am hoping for a VC win, I feel Serra would be the better team to represent CCS' top slot in the Bowl games. VC has great talent but its offense is so predictable that their wins come because of brute force instead of innovative coaching. Serra, on the other hand, has very similar talent but with more versatile coaching. Competent teams in Regionals and State will be more challenged by versatility than brute force. That being said, I like VC's defense at the Regional/State level.

If VC's offense can perform at a different level this weekend, I will, of course, be more optimistic of our CCS representation - regardless of who wins.

Tale of the Tape:

During the last 4 games:

Great breakdown 26, special teams and the turnover battle are critical in this one.

Although I am hoping for a VC win, I feel Serra would be the better team to represent CCS' top slot in the Bowl games. VC has great talent but its offense is so predictable that their wins come because of brute force instead of innovative coaching. Serra, on the other hand, has very similar talent but with more versatile coaching. Competent teams in Regionals and State will be more challenged by versatility than brute force. That being said, I like VC's defense at the Regional/State level.

If VC's offense can perform at a different level this weekend, I will, of course, be more optimistic of our CCS representation - regardless of who wins.

Fbaddict, I like this take but might slightly disagree on what offense I think could succeed with better success in RBG. If Serra could go vertical and pace 40 pts per game I would be right there with you, for all the reasons you mentioned. Right now, that doesn't seem to be the case, but another week of practice for the padres youngster could change for the better.

My take is who's executing better right now has the best chance to take on Fresno. I think that's clearly VC but we will know this week. Teams like MT, VC, are not sexy but are nightmares for teams used to spread football in RBG norcal. Not so much state where you get boat raced. Lol

Reactions: FBAddict

Would really have liked to see what Serra is capable of had they not lost their top two QBs for the rest of the season.Such a shame,

Fbaddict, I like this take but might slightly disagree on what offense I think could succeed with better success in RBG. If Serra could go vertical and pace 40 pts per game I would be right there with you, for all the reasons you mentioned. Right now, that doesn't seem to be the case, but another week of practice for the padres youngster could change for the better.

My take is who's executing better right now has the best chance to take on Fresno. I think that's clearly VC but we will know this week. Teams like MT, VC, are not sexy but are nightmares for teams used to spread football in RBG norcal. Not so much state where you get boat raced. Lol
You make a very good point about teams being used to defending against the Spread not have as much success with smash mouth offense.

Reactions: Santa Ball
WCAL Football 2019-20: Serra vs Valley Christian 5-Year History

2019: The 2 teams both undefeated at 8-0 met in week 9 of the season and Serra prevails 10-0. Next up the 2 teams both with seasons records of 11-1 play for the CCS Division I Championship Saturday 11/30/19.

2018: VC 11-3 on season defeated Serra 7-5 by score of 37-6 at VC. VC went on to win the CCS Open II Championship over SF by 31-30 in double O/T. VC then advanced to the NorCal 1-A regional losing to Liberty by 33-21.

2017: Serra 13-2 on season defeated VC 9-3 in regular season by 35-7 and Serra won WCAL crown outright. Serra then won over VC by 31-14 in the CCS Open II semi-final. Serra captured the CCS Open title, winning the NorCal regional over Tulare Union by 76-43 and then winning state 2-AA over Cajon by 38-14.

2016: VC with season record 13-2 defeated Serra 10-5 by score of 35-28 in regular season. VC, Serra & SF all shared WCAL Crown as Tri-Champions. Serra went on to win the CCS Open II Championship over Mitty by 37-24, then beating Sanger in NorCal 2-A playoffs by 49-36 before losing to Sierra Canyon in the state 2-A bowl game by 42-40. VC advanced to win the CCS Div III Championship over Palma by 14-10, defeating Card Newman 31-6 in NorCal 2-AA regional and then losing 21-17 to Madison of San Diego in state 2-AA bowl game.

2015: Serra with season record 6-4 defeated VC with record of 8-4 by 42-21 in regular season play. VC went on to lose in the CCS Open II Championship to Oak Grove by 42-23.

2014: Serra with season record of 7-4 defeated VC with record of 9-3 by score of 24-10 in regular season. The 2 teams shared the WCAL title. VC went on to lose in the CCS Open Championship to Bellarmine by 21-18.

5-Year Record = 7 games played with Serra holding a 5-2 winning advantage

* VC over last 5-Years: Co-WCAL Champs twice, 2 CCS Open Championships, & a NorCal regional win.

* Serra over last 5-Years: Outright WCAL Champs, Co-WCAL Champs twice, CCS Championships twice, NorCal regional wins twice, state Div. 2-AA Championship

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
WCAL Football 2019-20: Serra vs Valley Christian 5-Year History

2019: The 2 teams both undefeated at 8-0 met in week 9 of the season and Serra prevails 10-0. Next up the 2 teams both with seasons records of 11-1 play for the CCS Division I Championship Saturday 11/30/19.

2018: VC 11-3 on season defeated Serra 7-5 by score of 37-6 at VC. VC went on to win the CCS Open II Championship over SF by 31-30 in double O/T. VC then advanced to the NorCal 1-A regional losing to Liberty by 33-21.

2017: Serra 13-2 on season defeated VC 9-3 in regular season by 35-7 and Serra won WCAL crown outright. Serra then won over VC by 31-14 in the CCS Open II semi-final. Serra captured the CCS Open title, winning the NorCal regional over Tulare Union by 76-43 and then winning state 2-AA over Cajon by 38-14.

2016: VC with season record 13-2 defeated Serra 10-5 by score of 35-28 in regular season. VC, Serra & SF all shared WCAL Crown as Tri-Champions. Serra went on to win the CCS Open II Championship over Mitty by 37-24, then beating Sanger in NorCal 2-A playoffs by 49-36 before losing to Sierra Canyon in the state 2-A bowl game by 42-40. VC advanced to win the CCS Div III Championship over Palma by 14-10, defeating Card Newman 31-6 in NorCal 2-AA regional and then losing 21-17 to Madison of San Diego in state 2-AA bowl game.

2015: Serra with season record 6-4 defeated VC with record of 8-4 by 42-21 in regular season play. VC went on to lose in the CCS Open II Championship to Oak Grove by 42-23.

2014: Serra with season record of 7-4 defeated VC with record of 9-3 by score of 24-10 in regular season. The 2 teams shared the WCAL title. VC went on to lose in the CCS Open Championship to Bellarmine by 21-18.

5-Year Record = 7 games played with Serra holding a 5-2 winning advantage

* VC over last 5-Years: Co-WCAL Champs twice, a CCS Open Championship & a NorCal regional win.

* Serra over last 5-Years: Outright WCAL Champs, Co-WCAL Champs twice, CCS Championships twice, NorCal regional wins twice, state Div. 2-AA Championship

Since 2014 VC has been to a CCS championship game gave every year except 2017, where Serra beat them in the semi-finals. They won 2 champions and was runner up twice. This will be their 5th championship game in the last 6 years.

Here you go Defense_Rules is what you're referring to & gives a clearer picture of VC's playoff success year to year. gives a better picture Both VC & Serra won a CCS Division Championship twice over the same period.

Valley Christian CCS Play-Offs by Year:

2018 - Won CCS Open II Championship over St. Francis 31-30 in double O/T
2017 - Lost in CCS Open II Semi-Final to Serra 31-14
2016 - Won CCS Open III Championship over Palma 14-10
2015 - Lost CCS Open Championship to Oak Grove 42-23
2014 - Lost in CCS Open Championship to Bells 21-18

Reactions: Defense_Rules
CCS Champioship Games Schedule: All 5 Games Scheduled to be Live-Streamed via NFHS network

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/search?query=CIF%20Central%20Coast%20Section

* Div II - Oak Grove vs Los Gatos Friday 7PM @ Westmont HS
* Div V - Leland vs Santa Cruz Friday 7PM @ Independence HS
* Div IV - MIlpitas vs Branham Saturday 4PM @ Independence HS
* Div III - Terra Nova vs Kings Academy Saturday 7PM @ Westmont HS
* DIv I - Serra vs Valley Christian Saturday 8PM @ Independence HS

CCS Rankings of the 10 Finalists in the 5 Division Championship Games Listed Above:

Favorites to Win:

#1 - Serra
#2 - Valley Christian
#5 Los Gatos
#11 - Oak Grove
#13 - Kings Academy
#15 - Branham
#17 - Terra Nova

#21 - Milpitas
#29 - Leland
#34 - Santa Cruz

Serra vs VC for Div I Championship 8PM TONITE on NFHSnetwork

Does the weather change the outlook for tonites' game? VC's vaunted run game vs Serra's multi-faceted pass game? Last game Serra's D out-played VC's O-Line, but does wet weather give that big VC O-line any kind of advantage? In wet weather its tougher to cover speedy WR's so will that be to the Padres advantage?
Perhaps the biggest factor will be special teams in bad weather with the ball not going as far on kick-offs or punts and giving the receiving teams the advantage. Regardless this game is projected to be a low scoring affair with the 2 defenses. The last game scoring consisted of a single TD and a FG both by the Padres. Last season SF won over VC in regular season by 7-3 and yet the 2nd meeting for the same championship ended 31-30 with VC the victorious. So 2nd meetings when the first game was close are difficult at best to predict. My prediction was Serra 13-10, however 3-points isn't much and whichever team is able to score 2 TD's may come out the winner tonite.

As noted over the last several weeks, VC's stout defense will probably load up to the stop the Serra run game, forcing the backup QB to beat them through the air. Would not be shocked if turnovers in bad weather decided this affair.

I will make a prediction that indeed special teams/turnovers will decide the game tonight. Its going to be a closely fought contest if neither QB self-destructs and I can foresee a couple big plays of returns and maybe a crucial turnover as well. The question is: which QB will outplay the other. Cory Taylor has proven he can come through in the clutch & bsides VC's tag-team run team the Warrior's also have the big-play WR in frosh Dickey who was absent in the last meeting between the teams. Could Dickey be tonite's X-Factor for VC? Or possibly the elusive Lampkin and big time play WR & special teams Loville for Serra? Not much longer to find out...

Serra up 7-0 in 1rst after taking opening KO length of field for score & then VC frosh Dickey coughs it up on following KO to give Serra the ball right back -

Serra has dominated time of possession in 1rst 1/2 and VC defense has not had much success in stopping the Padres. Serra's coach Walsh has so far out-dueled his VC counter-parts when on offense. VC's use of first year sensation DIckey backfired when he coughed it up on the ensuing kickoff after Serra's score. So far a replay of first meeting as Serra has seemingly more speed at the skill positions and Serra's soph QB is extremely difficult for VC to contain when he scrambles. VC on other hand has classoic drop back passer Cory Taylor who is no where the scrambler Lampkin is.
2nd 1/2 VC gets the KO.

Serra 10-0 while VC has no answer for Serra. Serra D outplaying VC O-Line while VC coaching staff seemingly has no answer for Serra's offensive schemes. VC needs a big play & NOW ..

Last edited:
Serra dominated start to finish on both sides of the ball. Serra showed it can run the ball as well as throw when needed while VC proved once again it has no passing game against tough competition. If I recall VC had 5-6 turn-overs, [5 or 6?? how can you win?]. VC's QB Cory Taylor fumbled several times under heavy pressure from Serra's D giving the VC offense no time to pass.

Hard to figure against VC's D that Serra in 2 games scored 27-0.

Last edited:
Serra dominated start to finish on both sides of the ball. Serra showed it can run the ball as well as throw when needed while VC proved once again it has no passing game against touch competition. If I recall VC had 5-6 tune-overs, [5 or 6?? how can you win?]. VC's QB Cory Taylor fumbled several times under heavy pressure from Serra's D giving the VC offense no time to pass.

Seems to me that Serra had the better offense and defense, and Valley Christian had the better PR department.

The hype machine was wrong and the better team won.

Reactions: pc2986
Serra dominated start to finish on both sides of the ball. Serra showed it can run the ball as well as throw when needed while VC proved once again it has no passing game against tough competition. If I recall VC had 5-6 turn-overs, [5 or 6?? how can you win?]. VC's QB Cory Taylor fumbled several times under heavy pressure from Serra's D giving the VC offense no time to pass.

I believe I counted 7 TOs and I was at the game... 3 INTs, 3 Strip-Sack fumbles, and a fumble on the kickoff after Serra’s 1st score for VC.

Last thing you need to do if you’re playing the Padres is give them the ball even more.

VC had a couple of drives where they moved the ball well, but the turnovers are killer.

Seems to me that Serra had the better offense and defense, and Valley Christian had the better PR department.

The hype machine was wrong and the better team won.

VC was very strong. Their record and schedule speak for themselves. They did not match up well vs. Serra and mistakes were key.

WCAL Football 2019-20: Does the WCAL need to change who wins the league crown?

Obviously Padre fans will luv this idea while Wildcat fans not so much..

As has happened in past the WCAL consisting of only 8 teams has ended up with "Tri-Champions" sharing the league crown. Now Co-Champs is bad enough, but does anyone think 3 out of 8 teams should be awarded the league crown as partial champs? I guess a couple questions should point to the direction the WCAL system should be modified. Who does everyone think is the best team in the WCAL for this season? Or does everyone think that Serra, VC & S.I. are all about equal in standings. Serra won over VC twice convincingly so no doubt there. VC won over S.I. by 10 and then by 21 so not much to argue about there. If Serra and S.I. were to meet again in CCS playoffs who would your money be on? Perhaps the coaches should all be given a vote as to the #1 team as a tie-breaker when 3 teams are all 6-1 in league play[?]. Should the CCS playoff results have no bearing on the WCAL championsip with 2 of the 3 teams being eliminated and the 3rd winning a championship & all 3 teams were in the same division?

As it stands now we know overall: Serra #1, VC #2 and S.I. #3 so a true #1 and 2 runners-up.
Will fans look back at 2019 and think that "Yes, those were the 3 best teams in the WCAL for 2019 and all 3 were great teams" [probably not]. Or is the goal of the WCAL for 3 schools to all hang banners in the gym proclaiming "WCAL Football Tri-Champions 2019" [even the sound of "tri-champs" is cringe-worthy..]

Do fans want a true proclaimed WCAL Champ or comfortable with a 3-way tie?

Scores between the 3 "Tri-Champions" in order of when played:
VC over S.I. 17-7
Serra 10-0 over VC
S.I. 14-13 over Serra
VC 28-7 over S.I. - CCS Round II semi-final
Serra 17-0 over VC

Here is the final WCAL league standings & overall records:
Serra 6-1 & 12-1
VC 6-1 & 11-2
S.I. 6-1 & 9-3
Mitty 4-3 & 6-5
SF 3-4 & 4-7
Bells 2-5 & 3-8
Riordan 1-6 & 3-7
SHC 0-7 & 0-10

CCS Rankings:
1. Serra
2. VC
4. S.I.
9. SF
10. Mitty
20. Bells
21. Riordan
35. SHC

State Rankings:
12. Serra
26. VC
76. S.I.
125. SF
167. Mitty
315. Bells
324. Riordan
494. SHC

Since three teams finished at 6-1, co-champions seems appropriate and fair. A proposal to let coaches decide a champion by vote (and take it away from the results of the kids competing on the field) or use post league season results sounds ridiculous.

Reactions: remc
Since three teams finished at 6-1, co-champions seems appropriate and fair. A proposal to let coaches decide a champion by vote (and take it away from the results of the kids competing on the field) or use post league season results sounds ridiculous.

See I told you Wildcat fans would hate the idea :D

Agree, the field results should be the only criterion for determining a champion.Voting invites favoritism, biases, the repayment of perceived past slights and vendettas

WCAL Football 2019-20: Does the WCAL need to change who wins the league crown?

Obviously Padre fans will luv this idea while Wildcat fans not so much..

As has happened in past the WCAL consisting of only 8 teams has ended up with "Tri-Champions" sharing the league crown. Now Co-Champs is bad enough, but does anyone think 3 out of 8 teams should be awarded the league crown as partial champs? I guess a couple questions should point to the direction the WCAL system should be modified. Who does everyone think is the best team in the WCAL for this season? Or does everyone think that Serra, VC & S.I. are all about equal in standings. Serra won over VC twice convincingly so no doubt there. VC won over S.I. by 10 and then by 21 so not much to argue about there. If Serra and S.I. were to meet again in CCS playoffs who would your money be on? Perhaps the coaches should all be given a vote as to the #1 team as a tie-breaker when 3 teams are all 6-1 in league play[?]. Should the CCS playoff results have no bearing on the WCAL championsip with 2 of the 3 teams being eliminated and the 3rd winning a championship & all 3 teams were in the same division?

As it stands now we know overall: Serra #1, VC #2 and S.I. #3 so a true #1 and 2 runners-up.
Will fans look back at 2019 and think that "Yes, those were the 3 best teams in the WCAL for 2019 and all 3 were great teams" [probably not]. Or is the goal of the WCAL for 3 schools to all hang banners in the gym proclaiming "WCAL Football Tri-Champions 2019" [even the sound of "tri-champs" is cringe-worthy..]

Do fans want a true proclaimed WCAL Champ or comfortable with a 3-way tie?

Scores between the 3 "Tri-Champions" in order of when played:
VC over S.I. 17-7
Serra 10-0 over VC
S.I. 14-13 over Serra
VC 28-7 over S.I. - CCS Round II semi-final
Serra 17-0 over VC

Here is the final WCAL league standings & overall records:
Serra 6-1 & 12-1
VC 6-1 & 11-2
S.I. 6-1 & 9-3
Mitty 4-3 & 6-5
SF 3-4 & 4-7
Bells 2-5 & 3-8
Riordan 1-6 & 3-7
SHC 0-7 & 0-10

CCS Rankings:
1. Serra
2. VC
4. S.I.
9. SF
10. Mitty
20. Bells
21. Riordan
35. SHC

State Rankings:
12. Serra
26. VC
76. S.I.
125. SF
167. Mitty
315. Bells
324. Riordan
494. SHC

I am for if no outright champion, each school will send 1 representative to compete in a Punt, Pass, Kick competition. Winner wins league title for the school. None of this sharing/co-champion BS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT