ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Scoreboard

Similarly, last year's record is why Turlock is ranked so low. They had health and Covid problems and their brutal pre-conference schedule didn't help. They lost two conference games, their only conference losses since 2015. This game was a defensive battle on both sides, with penalties factoring into drives. Turlock had several key 4th down stops on Rocklin drives, and were able to capitalize on a late second quarter interception to go up by two touchdowns at the half. Rocklin came out in the second half and marched down the field for a score, but that was it. It could actually have been 21-7 as JT Foreman ran the ball down to the one and almost stretched over for the score with a minute left but they took a knee for the last two plays.
Rocklin was rated too high this year but I understand the logic.

In regards to the game. It was a defensive game, Turlock could have punched it in for another TD at the end, but showed great sportsmanship. Turlock got the stops they needed and the offense strangled the clock efficiently.

The Rocklin offensive stalls were maddening, coupled with the penalties that had them in 3rd and 4th down deficit all night. Turlock secondary played really well, particularly second half. There were plays they did miss in coverage in the first half for wide open touchdown and the Thunder couldn't capitalize on it.

Defensively for the Thunder, they had to shuffle linebackers due to Injuries and they appeared to move Adam's from safety to linebacker. They also inserted a few sophomores out there in the secondary to backfill shifts and injuries and they did really well all things considered.

I was a bit perplexed at the decision by Rocklin to spin it so much. It maybe in their DNA but It seemed wide zone was really churning. The Stat line was about even pass v. run, but it felt like a game you needed to ground and pound.

For giggles, I looked at the SFL scores from week 1;

Granite Bay 34-12
Oak Ridge 56-0
Folsom 47-18
Del oro 35-8
Whitney 35-28
Average points forced 41.4
Average points allows 13.2
Rocklin 7-14

Not going to win many games putting up 7 points. I look for Rocklin to rebound this week.

I agree that Rocklin had success in the run game and didn't seem to utilize it as much as they could have. They had some openings on deep passes, but only connected on one play.

Turlock is always going to be prepared and tough. Cole Gilbert is a good high school QB who is a dual threat option. I was impressed with their speed agianst Rocklin. That usually holds them back against Sacramento area teams.

Reactions: Santa Ball
I agree that Rocklin had success in the run game and didn't seem to utilize it as much as they could have. They had some openings on deep passes, but only connected on one play.

Turlock is always going to be prepared and tough. Cole Gilbert is a good high school QB who is a dual threat option. I was impressed with their speed agianst Rocklin. That usually holds them back against Sacramento area teams.
An apt assessment. Rocklin had some success with their big backs and in the first half Turlock was lucky that some long passes were just overthrown. Turlock defended the long passes better in the second half. Turlock always has good line play and tough defense, but not always the skill players to push them over the top. They will have ample opportunity to see where they stand in the next few weeks. I don't know what Clovis West, their opponent this week, has, but Central of Fresno, Manteca, and Clayton Valley Charter will all have good if not great skill players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT