ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Scoreboard

Tough blow for them. I saw Joe Davidson post something about the 3 game rule for ejection in a game or scrimmage. Is that new this year?
Streak he came off the bench. Total boneheaded move.
With all that “heat” on the program it was probably a factor too. I know from a good source the program is on thin Ice right now. They can’t have anymore issues.

Streak he came off the bench. Total boneheaded move.
With all that “heat” on the program it was probably a factor too. I know from a good source the program is on thin Ice right now. They can’t have anymore issues.

I’m thinking more like graves. Bennett was good with his feet and I tend to forget about him because I think he was so overrated in terms of system and talent around him at Folsom. Not sure he’s ever taken a college snap.
Lyons is just in a different league.

Graves was clearly their best dual threat QB, no doubt.

But in terms of giving Folsom a true dual threat dimension, Kaiden Bennett surely did that and more.

His Junior season, when Folsom went 16-0, Bennett rushed for over 1200 yards and 16 scores while still throwing for over 4400 yards with 57 TD passes. His Senior year wasn’t as productive on the ground, as he rushed for just under 600 yards but he still had 13 rush TD’s while throwing for over 4200 yards and a staggering 62 TD passes.

I highly doubt that Lyons is in a different league with regard to matching or exceeding those gaudy dual threat numbers. And, FWIW, Bennett has taken snaps in college. But none of that matters wrt to a HS career. Dano Graves was Folsom’s most accomplished QB (National POTY) and also didn’t flourish in college.

Also, don’t forget about Tanner Trosin, who followed Graves in 2011. Tanner rushed for just under 1200 yards and a whopping 20 TD’s. And then Jake Jeffrey rushed for nearly 1000 yards and 11 scores in 2015.

Folsom has been blessed with more than a few dynamic dual threat talents over the years. Lyons just appears to be the next in line.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC916
Folsom offensive machine under Taylor and Richardson was as good as any of us have ever seen. (Or will) Those guys would be throwing up 45 on teams. Pissed a lot of people off too. A lot of those stats are so over inflated. Folsom new staff is much more defensive /line focused than before and not nearly as offensively savvy. Just comparing Apples and oranges. Good example is last night. Old Folsom teams go up 35-0 vs MT at half and would pour it on in 2nd. Not under Dougherty are they doing that. They called dogs off. Stats can be very misleading especially during the Folsom high octane era.

I’m thinking more like graves. Bennett was good with his feet and I tend to forget about him because I think he was so overrated in terms of system and talent around him at Folsom. Not sure he’s ever taken a college snap.
Lyons is just in a different league.
Lyons isn't Graves. At least not yet. He might be more on the Browning track of development, anyway.

He had a couple of short runs that could have been TDs for any Folsom ball carrier. His best run was when he slipped a sack and broke contain for a long gain.

He's obviously good, but It wasn't a magical night. MT is young and inexperienced at pretty much every position. They basically had one horrible quarter (1st) and then hung with Folsom the rest of the night. MT pitched a shutout in the 2nd half, including a goal-line stand when Folsom had 1st and goal from inside the 5 with starters playing. The dogs were not called off.

I'm not knocking the kid or the program. Just saying that the most inexperienced MT team in years moved the ball effectively at times (11-minute drive) and played shutout defense for long stretches. That doesn't normally happen to Folsom in the SJS. Folsom is pretty young too, so they will also grow and get better. It's not like their dominance will end any time soon. But they aren't as frightening as normal just yet. I'm sure the next month will give us all more insights.

Reactions: THEOC89
Folsom offensive machine under Taylor and Richardson was as good as any of us have ever seen. (Or will) Those guys would be throwing up 45 on teams. Pissed a lot of people off too. A lot of those stats are so over inflated. Folsom new staff is much more defensive /line focused than before and not nearly as offensively savvy. Just comparing Apples and oranges. Good example is last night. Old Folsom teams go up 35-0 vs MT at half and would pour it on in 2nd. Not under Dougherty are they doing that. They called dogs off. Stats can be very misleading especially during the Folsom high octane era.
Interesting observations. I like the current coaching team better than the previous coaching team for one main reason - Dougherty is more likely to schedule difficult games. Richardson seemed to prefer the easy route to high points. Taylor and Richardson had a great offensive system but they protected their image carefully through thoughtful scheduling. There is nothing easy about the SJS SFAL league but a team that is the top of SFAL must schedule higher than the SFAL to prove their position - not lower or the same has the level to score lots of points. But hey, what do I know - that mindset got both of them jobs at the next level.

Now you’re altering the topic. None of the above addresses the point.

Folsom has fielded 3 different QB’s since Dano Graves that gave their offense a true dual threat dimension. Kaiden Bennett was the most recent just 5 years ago. And despite whatever he has or hasn’t accomplished in college, he was trully dynamic in HS, both as a passer and runner.

Interesting observations. I like the current coaching team better than the previous coaching team for one main reason - Dougherty is more likely to schedule difficult games.

Valid point. However, without the other staff, Doherty and his current staff wouldn’t be in the position they’re in.

Those guys built the Lamborghini from scratch, while Doherty just drives it a tad differently. He surely couldn’t build the high performance race car on his own, or he would have elsewhere. Instead he was busy breaking rules and getting fired at Whitney.

Doherty is really no different than Alumbaugh at DLS. No chance either could have built up their respective programs to the level they were when they inherited them. So while Taylor and Richardson clearly didn’t schedule aggressively while laying down the foundation and building up Folsom’s program, they were and still are vastly superior coaches — as evidenced by accomplishing the same at the highest level of the FCS.

If you were choosing a HC and staff to take over and transform a middling or cellar dwelling program starting tomorrow, no rational person would hire Doherty and his staff over Taylor and Richardson.

There are a myriad of coaches that could take over a ready made juggernaut program and find a way to ruin it. However there are also a myriad of coaches that could keep it going just like Doherty has so far.

I’m immediately reminded of Max Miller who took over at Cordova after Dewey Guerra and Ron Lancaster built that program into the SJS’s first true State/Nat’l powerhouse. What Guerra and Lancaster accomplished is infinitely harder and more impressive than what Max Miller did. Same applies to Taylor and Richardson vs. Doherty.

The antithesis to the DLS and Folsom situations would be George Stavrianoudakis replacing Jerry Van Lengen at Hilmar.

It'll be interesting to see how long Doherty can keep the well-oiled machine going. It took Alumbaugh about 8 seasons before DLS started to see some chinks in the armor wrt to NorCal perfection.

Doherty's 1st season was rocky by Folsom standards, as was season 3 even though they bounced back to win NorCal. Taylor and Richardson never endured 2 league losses and 4 double-digit losses.

As long as the top talent continues to transfer in, they'll be fine. But if the slow slippage continues, it might not be long before the volume of top talent decides to start flowing elsewhere.

Reactions: FBAddict
Taylor and Richardson never endured 2 league losses and 4 double-digit losses.
Taylor and Richardson Never came close to beating DLS and Doherty has already done that Twice…

And Taylor and Richardson’s “Great Offense” got shut out by DLS and had their Doors blown off by multiple times by DLS and by Grant on their only appearance on National TV…. With “The Greatest Folsom QB”….. 🤣

That equals 4 double digit losses…. 🤣🤣
Great recruiters for sure which is why they are successful at the College level….

Interesting observations. I like the current coaching team better than the previous coaching team for one main reason - Dougherty is more likely to schedule difficult games. Richardson seemed to prefer the easy route to high points. Taylor and Richardson had a great offensive system but they protected their image carefully through thoughtful scheduling. There is nothing easy about the SJS SFAL league but a team that is the top of SFAL must schedule higher than the SFAL to prove their position - not lower or the same has the level to score lots of points. But hey, what do I know - that mindset got both of them jobs at the next level.
I’ve criticized Folsom for their scheduling in the past. But we can’t forget that Taylor/Richardson scheduled Grant who was #5 in the nation at the time that they played.

Keep in mind, those Folsom teams weren’t very talented. They were extremely well coached! The same goes for many of the other SFL schools. They are extremely well coached teams. But we must acknowledged the brilliancy of Troy Taylor. He is on a whole different level.

If Taylor would have coached at Grant or DLS, instead of Folsom, he would have won several Open Championships. He would have toyed with both Bosco and MD.

The stuff he did at Sac State was legendary!

Taylor and Richardson Never came close to beating DLS and Doherty has already done that Twice…

C’mon, OC89, I know you’re really not naive and ignorant enough to compare the DLS teams Taylor and Richardson faced to the more recent DLS teams. Be real.

The Spartans have lost to NorCal opponents 5 times the past 2 seasons after not having previously lost for nearly 30 years. It ain't the same team or program and you know it.

Folsom's teams from 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018 were far superior to any of their teams under Doherty so far and would have beaten the Spartans 2021 and 2022 teams too -- just like St. Francis, Serra, and St. Mary's-Stockton all did.

Conversely, Folsom's last 2 teams wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell of beating any of the Spartans teams Taylor and Richardson faced. I know you really know that too.

Lastly, regarding "Taylor and Richardson never coming close to beating DLS", you clearly were absent for the 2018 game or just chose to block it out. It was scoreless at half, with the controversial Ngata knee down at the goal line call costing Folsom a game-changing lead.

You lose a lot of credibility with comments like the one above.

That equals 4 double digit losses…. 🤣🤣

In one season? I thought not.

Clearly you didn't understand what I was saying. Try harder.

Great recruiters for sure which is why they are successful at the College level….

Better x's and o's coaches, too, which is why they are also at the college level (with Taylor now leading Stanford).

Doherty is a good HC. He did quite well at Sac Hi and was marginal at Whitney. But he's doing nothing at Folsom that dozens of other HC's around the section couldn't also do if handed the same set of circumstances. But none of them could build what Taylor and Richardson built from scratch, otherwise they'd have done so.

And make no mistake, Folsom's decade of dominance was sparked by Taylor's offensive system and ability to coach up QB's. They were winning before the influx of transfers from around the region and Nevada. Their system and winning ways is what started the influx.

And now Doherty reaps the benefits of that influx just as Max Miller did at Cordova and Alumbaugh does at DLS. But none of them could start it themselves.

Stop with the crazy talk.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
I’ve criticized Folsom for their scheduling in the past. But we can’t forget that Taylor/Richardson scheduled Grant who was #5 in the nation at the time that they played.

Pretty much ALL of us criticized Folsom's scheduling, specifically once they became the undisputed top dog of the SJS and arguably the #2 team in NorCal behind DLS.

And it was completely justifiable criticism. For quite a long time they seemingly just weren't interested in scheduling anybody they didn't expect to beat. That didn't really change until 2018 when they finally scheduled DLS during the regular season.

Keep in mind, those Folsom teams weren’t very talented. They were extremely well coached!

Exactly right. It's easy for people to forget that from 2002 (Taylor's first stint as HC) through "around" 2014 (10 seasons into Richardson's tenure as HC and 3 seasons into Taylor's return as co-HC) they were doing it largely with homegrown kids. And they didn't have the offensive and defensive lines to compete with DLS or the elite SoCal teams. They didn't even really develop passable defenses until 2014-2015.

That's around the time their newly consistent winning ways started to attract mass transfers from all over the region and from Reno. But up to that point they were beating teams with their offensive scheme and QB play, all made possible due to Troy Taylor.

The only time they would lose was usually to a team that could dominate their lines and play much more physically than them. Their overall team speed wasn't what it's been the past 7 or 8 years either.

But we must acknowledged the brilliancy of Troy Taylor. He is on a whole different level.

If Taylor would have coached at Grant or DLS, instead of Folsom, he would have won several Open Championships. He would have toyed with both Bosco and MD.

The stuff he did at Sac State was legendary!

He is brilliant. And Richardson is a very good line coach. He just didn't have the horses to work with early on at Folsom, certainly not the horses needed to compete with the likes of Austin Hooper, Devin Asiasi, Boss Tagaloa, Drew Sullivan, and Kahlil McKenzie, just to name a few.

But Sac State's offenses the past 3 seasons have featured the same Taylor-esque brilliance, but with well-above average o-line play. That's precisely how you win one of the FCS's top 2 or 3 divisions 3 years running.

I'm a bit concerned about Taylor's future at Stanford, though. As good a coach as he is, Stanford just has too many disadvantages going against it and now with the dissolution of the PAC-12 -- the future looks quite murky IMO.

Maybe wrong thread but on paper serra looks to be a fairly comfortable favorite against Folsom this week.
I don’t expect Folsom to get buried but I could see Serra dominating the ball and winning by a coupe scores.

Patsy was entertaining I will say that.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Came here for some scores - but have enjoyed the walk down “Folsom’s Memory Lane”. Where’s Pasty to chime in when you need him? 🤣

My bad, I take full responsibility for hijacking and altering this thread. For that, I apologize.

When somebody makes a statement I know to be factually incorrect, it’s often difficult for me not to chime in. ;) I’ll try to refrain from doing so in the future, specifically in the scores thread.

C’mon, OC89, I know you’re really not naive and ignorant enough to compare the DLS teams Taylor and Richardson faced to the more recent DLS teams. Be real.

The Spartans have lost to NorCal opponents 5 times the past 2 seasons after not having previously lost for nearly 30 years. It ain't the same team or program and you know it.

Folsom's teams from 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018 were far superior to any of their teams under Doherty so far and would have beaten the Spartans 2021 and 2022 teams too -- just like St. Francis, Serra, and St. Mary's-Stockton all did.

Conversely, Folsom's last 2 teams wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell of beating any of the Spartans teams Taylor and Richardson faced. I know you really know that too.

Lastly, regarding "Taylor and Richardson never coming close to beating DLS", you clearly were absent for the 2018 game or just chose to block it out. It was scoreless at half, with the controversial Ngata knee down at the goal line call costing Folsom a game-changing lead.

You lose a lot of credibility with comments like the one above.

In one season? I thought not.

Clearly you didn't understand what I was saying. Try harder.

Better x's and o's coaches, too, which is why they are also at the college level (with Taylor now leading Stanford).

Doherty is a good HC. He did quite well at Sac Hi and was marginal at Whitney. But he's doing nothing at Folsom that dozens of other HC's around the section couldn't also do if handed the same set of circumstances. But none of them could build what Taylor and Richardson built from scratch, otherwise they'd have done so.

And make no mistake, Folsom's decade of dominance was sparked by Taylor's offensive system and ability to coach up QB's. They were winning before the influx of transfers from around the region and Nevada. Their system and winning ways is what started the influx.

And now Doherty reaps the benefits of that influx just as Max Miller did at Cordova and Alumbaugh does at DLS. But none of them could start it themselves.

Stop with the crazy talk.
HA!…. In 2012 and 2013 Folsom was 29-2 running up the score to 60, 70, 80 points on teams Yet Taylor in all his Offensive Genius with the greatest QB in school history couldn’t even stay within 4 TD’s of DLS in their only 2 losses in those 2 years…. 🤣

DLS was 29-1 in this 2 years so The teams were comparable, just poorly coached on Folsoms side when facing the best competition….

And of course, the Current Folsom and DLS teams are not what they were back then but at least Dougherty has beaten DLS, multiple times with equal teams…. Including 1-1 in the playoffs with the games being very close….

Conversely, Taylor and Richardson were a combined 0-3 getting out scored 108-32 playing equal DLS teams where you could even argue Folsom was the more talented team….

And I guess Kudos to Richardson who Finally Scheduled DLS with Folsom returning 17 returning starters and numerous D1 players including 4 from Reno…. And the Best he could do was a 2 TD shutout loss when he clearly had the more talented team….

So I will stick by my comment…. Great recruiters which is why they are at the next level… But I have yet to see Taylor or Richardson actually “Out Coach” anyone….

Reactions: larry legend33
Maybe wrong thread but on paper serra looks to be a fairly comfortable favorite against Folsom this week.
I don’t expect Folsom to get buried but I could see Serra dominating the ball and winning by a coupe scores.

Patsy was entertaining I will say that.
Agree! I think Folsom will take the early lead having a game played behind them and first game jitters out if the way. However, Serra is at much different level than MT and Folsom’s QB will see much more pressure than experienced vs MT. Folsom with the early lead but Serra coming from behind for the win. The team I project Serra having more of a challenge will be vs DLS. DLS was very young last year playing several sophomores, relying much on senior RB Greer. Eidson is back and DLS’s defense which was not at all close to as good as prior years will be much better this year. Will DLS have improved to be able to beat Serra? Unsure. But, Serra can’t afford to make mistakes like last year vs Serra and still come away with the win. Anyways, Serra vs DLS and Serra vs Folsom are going to be some good games.

HA!…. In 2012 and 2013 Folsom was 29-2 running up the score to 60, 70, 80 points on teams Yet Taylor in all his Offensive Genius with the greatest QB in school history couldn’t even stay within 4 TD’s of DLS in their only 2 losses in those 2 years…. 🤣

DLS was 29-1 in this 2 years so The teams were comparable, just poorly coached on Folsoms side when facing the best competition….

And of course, the Current Folsom and DLS teams are not what they were back then but at least Dougherty has beaten DLS, multiple times with equal teams…. Including 1-1 in the playoffs with the games being very close….

Conversely, Taylor and Richardson were a combined 0-3 getting out scored 108-32 playing equal DLS teams where you could even argue Folsom was the more talented team….

And I guess Kudos to Richardson who Finally Scheduled DLS with Folsom returning 17 returning starters and numerous D1 players including 4 from Reno…. And the Best he could do was a 2 TD shutout loss when he clearly had the more talented team….

So I will stick by my comment…. Great recruiters which is why they are at the next level… But I have yet to see Taylor or Richardson actually “Out Coach” anyone….
Huh!? You didn't see them out coach multiple college staffs last year leading Sac State to a historical 12-1 year??

You think you become a Power 5 Head Coach without out coaching people? Come on man. Lol

Agree! I think Folsom will take the early lead having a game played behind them and first game jitters out if the way. However, Serra is at much different level than MT and Folsom’s QB will see much more pressure than experienced vs MT. Folsom with the early lead but Serra coming from behind for the win. The team I project Serra having more of a challenge will be vs DLS. DLS was very young last year playing several sophomores, relying much on senior RB Greer. Eidson is back and DLS’s defense which was not at all close to as good as prior years will be much better this year. Will DLS have improved to be able to beat Serra? Unsure. But, Serra can’t afford to make mistakes like last year vs Serra and still come away with the win. Anyways, Serra vs DLS and Serra vs Folsom are going to be some good games.
I too think Serra has the advantage in this game based on home field and the fact the game is at 12 pm on Saturday…. Folsom will be leaving to go to San Mateo around 9am I would imagine, so this is very different then playing Friday nights…. Serra is used to this….

If the game was at normal time I would favor Folsom because I think the teams are evenly matched and Folsom is well coached, but I think Serra will have the upper hand….

The DLS vs OLU game is the most intriguing game to me this weekend….. We will have a good idea of what DLS will look like this year after this game…. It will really be a test for the offensive and defensive lines….

If DLS keeps it close or wins then I think it will be a great year for the Spartans and they will be poised to make a run at The Open again…. But Folsom, Serra and ST Mary’s will all have a day in that…..

But if DLS make a bunch of mistakes like last year, Missed Tackles, missed blocks, turnovers, etc and loses by 2 or 3 TD’s, it will be a huge step back…. The top Nor Cal teams should be able to beat the #3 Trinity league team…. I think DLS wins a close one, but this will be a huge test for The Spartans…..

Huh!? You didn't see them out coach multiple college staffs last year leading Sac State to a historical 12-1 year??

You think you become a Power 5 Head Coach without out coaching people? Come on man. Lol
If you examine Sacramento State schedule, you will find a very similar pattern. DI FSC Big Sky competition is like SJS SFAL in in HS California. Its a good compared to SJS but not so good compared to the top HSFB throughout CA or the national programs. Careful scheduling makes for grand season.

HA!…. Nope, not at all… Don’t really Care about Sac State Football and don’t care to watch Taylor/Richardson teams…. But I do know from reading this board that they recruited a lot of good players to Sac State….

Did they win the Championship or get out coached and lose before the Championship game?… 🤣

Edit- I googled it and it looks like they were the #2 seed and gave up 66 points and lost to the #7 seed in the quarterfinals…. My point stands… 🤣🤣

Last edited:
If you examine Sacramento State schedule, you will find a very similar pattern. DI FSC Big Sky competition is like SJS SFAL in in HS California. Its a good compared to SJS but not so good compared to the top HSFB throughout CA or the national programs. Careful scheduling makes for grand season.
Folsom has beaten all of the top programs in NorCal, Central Valley and San Diego. They’ve also beaten a nationally ranked Southern Section school as well.

I agree it would have been nice to see them square off with MD, Bosco, Cen10, or an out of state powerhouse. But we all know they wouldn’t have faired well against (MD and Bosco). The matchup many of us wanted to see was Folsom vs Cen10.

You also have to remember that Folsom does not get the best players from the Sacramento area. They get a few good players, but it’s far from a Sac-Metro All-Star team. Yet they’ve still managed to beat all of the top programs in NorCal.

I too think Serra has the advantage in this game based on home field and the fact the game is at 12 pm on Saturday…. Folsom will be leaving to go to San Mateo around 9am I would imagine, so this is very different then playing Friday nights…. Serra is used to this….

If the game was at normal time I would favor Folsom because I think the teams are evenly matched and Folsom is well coached, but I think Serra will have the upper hand….

The DLS vs OLU game is the most intriguing game to me this weekend….. We will have a good idea of what DLS will look like this year after this game…. It will really be a test for the offensive and defensive lines….

If DLS keeps it close or wins then I think it will be a great year for the Spartans and they will be poised to make a run at The Open again…. But Folsom, Serra and ST Mary’s will all have a day in that…..

But if DLS make a bunch of mistakes like last year, Missed Tackles, missed blocks, turnovers, etc and loses by 2 or 3 TD’s, it will be a huge step back…. The top Nor Cal teams should be able to beat the #3 Trinity league team…. I think DLS wins a close one, but this will be a huge test for The Spartans…..
They better have a fast bus driver! I’m betting they leave around 730 from Folsom because it’s a good 2+ hours and that will give them time to warmup , stretch, tape, walk thru.

As for game agree with you. Home game and quite frankly I think Serra plays a game that Folsom can’t. They will pound them to death and control clock.

• Haha
Folsom has beaten all of the top programs in NorCal, Central Valley and San Diego. They’ve also beaten a nationally ranked Southern Section school as well.

I agree it would have been nice to see them square off with MD, Bosco, Cen10, or an out of state powerhouse. But we all know they wouldn’t have faired well against (MD and Bosco). The matchup many of us wanted to see was Folsom vs Cen10.

You also have to remember that Folsom does not get the best players from the Sacramento area. They get a few good players, but it’s far from a Sac-Metro All-Star team. Yet they’ve still managed to beat all of the top programs in NorCal.
I’m trying to remember which nationally ranked Southern Section they beat? We’re not talking about Serra back like 13 years ago are we ?

I’m trying to remember which nationally ranked Southern Section they beat? We’re not talking about Serra back like 13 years ago are we ?
Yes we are! They were a nationally ranked program. Keep in mind Taylor left a few years after that….

I sure do miss the good ole days where nearly every thread was hijacked by someone complaining about Folsom. Oh wait - nevermind.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited:
I have trouble seeing Folsom beat Serra on the road this season. Folsom is very young and this is Serra's best senior class ever. Based on what I saw against MT Folsom is very talented but they're a year away IMO. Serra by 10.

I have trouble seeing Folsom beat Serra on the road this season. Folsom is very young and this is Serra's best senior class ever. Based on what I saw against MT Folsom is very talented but they're a year away IMO. Serra by 10.
I’m picking Serra in this week’s pick’em based on these factors, but I see Folsom getting out of the gate first in this game since they have a game played. Even though Serra returns a team that has experience from last year, the first game jitters and mistakes are real. St. Mary’s returned nearly an entire offense (9 out of 11) and looked very sloppy early on in their game vs Clovis West. Not saying that this is guaranteed to occur for Serra. But, having played a game already vs not has its advantages even if a team like Folsom is younger and new at QB position. Folsom capitalized big time on mistakes by MT. Serra needs to be careful and not make many mistakes early else the Padres will find themselves playing catch up and the deficit may be too big to rebound from. Still, I see Serra pulling out the victory but it being closer than Calpreps and others may see it. Play mistake free and it could be a Serra blowout. But, I have my doubts being their first game this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT