ADVERTISEMENT

What do you like about Friday Night Lights?

smashmouthrick

Hall of Famer
Sep 7, 2006
Newcastle Ca.
We are blessed to have this great game/institution of football that spans from midget to pro levels. So much to love about the sport. Since this is a preps site here is what I like about FNL:
  • A place to go and connect with the community where seemingly the whole community comes out to support the team. Few examples of such communities that I’ve experienced: Oakdale, NU, Grant & Del Oro
  • Watching players grow up from freshman to Varsity
  • Accessibility to games and so many local game choices
  • Being and talking with fans that are also passionate about the game
  • It is a drug, completely leave work and troubles behind while watching, cheering and dissecting each play
  • All the hype and excitement leading up to rival and playoff games
  • Watching some amazing athletes
  • Getting into the X’s and O’s of the game identifying schemes, alignments, coverages
  • Being an arm chair QB and sometimes second guessing coaching decisions
  • Learning more about the technical aspects of the game
  • Can go on and on...
What do you like about FNL?

Last edited:
Friday night lights is right. Growing up in Oakdale 3 house from the high school going to games at 10 years old. Your favorite players grandparents live right across the street. Going to games and talking to people that went to school with your parents. Talking to Mr. Munion who we lost last year at I believe at 93. Who played on the original football field first season. The information on Oakdale football history the man had. The only games he missed was when serving in the military . Home town man, small town hero. The joys of the one school small town football.

We are blessed to have this great game/institution of football that spans from midget to pro levels. So much to love about the sport. Since this is a preps site here is what I like about FNL:
  • A place to go and connect with the community where seemingly the whole community comes out to support the team. Few examples of such communities that I’ve experienced: Oakdale, NU, Grant & Del Oro
  • Watching players grow up from freshman to Varsity
  • Accessibility to games and so many local game choices
  • Being and talking with fans that are also passionate about the game
  • It is a drug, completely leave work and troubles behind while watching, cheering and dissecting each play
  • All the hype and excitement leading up to rival and playoff games
  • Watching some amazing athletes
  • Getting into the X’s and O’s of the game identifying schemes, alignments, coverages
  • Being an arm chair QB and sometimes second guessing coaching decisions
  • Learning more about the technical aspects of the game
  • Can go on and on...
What do you like about FNL?

Great post SMRick, You're right, you can go on and on, i.e. student section passion/rivalry's, supporting casts: marching bands, color guards, cheerleaders; alot of parents in the stands don't have players on the field, but have kids in the other programs. They're as excited to be there for their kids as all the player parents. I have taken in games up at Placer and Colfax high schools, town's fill the stands, bermuda grass fields, good stuff. Next season I'll be sitting in the Del Oro stands as an old guy empty nester and it'll be back to community connection and passion of being a fan.

1. The lights
2. The smells
3. Warm days turning into cool nights
4. Opposing fans (I love to see other schools fans and communities show out)
5. The JV games in anticipation for the main event
6. Time to visit with alumni and old timers. Catching up
7. Intriguing match ups
8. Learning about and meeting other families
9. Snack bars (they seem to get better ever year)
10. Talking smack on here! Jk

Going back home to Durham California when the heat of the summer has passed and the leaves are starting to change and there is a slight breeze. And then the Durham Trojans break out onto the field, baby! Go Trojans!
I should add East Nicolaus to my list as well as I’ve enjoyed a few games there. Atmosphere is definitely small town and super supportive of their team

Going back home to Durham California when the heat of the summer has passed and the leaves are starting to change and there is a slight breeze.

Made me think of this:
"It's that time of year again. When the first leaf of autumn falls forlornly on the barren ground below." --- Jack Dundee (aka Robin Williams) from 'The Best Of Times'

Damn, I love this time of year.

Great Post,

Pretty much agree with everything that has been said here on this thread of FNL, the smell of barbecues, the sounds of the tackles, sounds of the bands, sounds of the cheerleaders, the lights that come on as the sun sets, the nice weather at the beginning of the season and feeling how it starts to change to cold weather by the middle of the season, the Home teams run to the field coming out of a banner or mascot inflatable, the excitement of the players as they get pumped up before or during warmups, the fans, the families of the players...we could just keep going on everything that makes FNL exciting. Once you get addicted to FNL it’s hard to let it go and it just becomes a tradition.

Everyone has made great points why Friday Night Lights is so freaking awesome. I've tried to get some of my friends on board with it over the years to no avail. I sell them on the idea that, pound for pound, it's the best bang for the buck you can get. Typically $8 for a ticket to a game with great atmosphere, good food for reasonable prices, and a hotbed of talent that sometimes ends up on their 70" LED on Saturday's and Sunday's. Can't get them to come out though. Their loss.

Instead I take my nieces with me a couple times a season and have met some cool people from this site.

I'll post some of the best places I've seen a game

Del Oro
Nevada Union
Paradise
Valley Christian
Grant
De La Salle (for big games)
Vacaville
You need to take a trip up our way visit The Corral Oakdale and Dunlavy Field in Sonora . I love The Corral but love going up the hill to Dunlavy. The atmosphere all people sitting on the side of a mountain. The team enters through the stands. The food smells wafting around the stadium. I know they are our traditional rivals in spite of that good people them hillbillies!

Blanked on Oakdale. Have been there for a Central Catholic game a few years ago. One of the takeaways is how full the stadium got early.

Great post SMRick, You're right, you can go on and on, i.e. student section passion/rivalry's, supporting casts: marching bands, color guards, cheerleaders; alot of parents in the stands don't have players on the field, but have kids in the other programs. They're as excited to be there for their kids as all the player parents. I have taken in games up at Placer and Colfax high schools, town's fill the stands, bermuda grass fields, good stuff. Next season I'll be sitting in the Del Oro stands as an old guy empty nester and it'll be back to community connection and passion of being a fan.
I was at the AV vs. Del Oro game I was impressed how well Del Oro travels! Not only that but I was standing closer to the Del Oro Bleachers and the excitement is real with the community. Football is important with your fans and it shows on how well you travel and how well your team played Friday night. I heard nothing but excitement on the year from all of your fans of all ages. Community and the importance of the Football team to your community. That is what is most important to me about FNL. Good Job Del Oro!

Going back home to Durham California when the heat of the summer has passed and the leaves are starting to change and there is a slight breeze. And then the Durham Trojans break out onto the field, baby! Go Trojans!
I'm glad to see that Durham has upped their non-league games and scheduled out of section, I was disappointed we couldn't get a game figured out now that EN and Durham or no longer in the same league, I guess there is always the postseason. #GBR

East Nicholaus sucks.....:) LOL....we just can't seem to beat those guys. But hey Durham travels to Bradshaw Chrisitan Friday! You know where I'll be.
EN's last lost to a team in the Northern Section was to Durham. granted that was regular season, and they beat Durham in the postseason on the way to a State title.

For me, it's the perfect way to end a tough work week.
Amen to that RR!

FNL is a great way to transition from a stressful work week to Saturday morning where that stress melts as you settle into your game time spectator routine.

Few things completely consume most of my senses at one time and captivate my mind like football. FNL much more so than college or NFL games since you have a much stronger connection to players, coaches, fans on both sides and community pride.

Then the game starts and I get completely lost in the X’s and O’s of each play. If I were a physician I’d prescribe a healthy dose of FNL to those afflicted with the stress and strains of work. Something for everyone at a HS FB game!

Or a game rescheduled to a Thursday with no JV game. Don’t get quite the crowd and can’t relax as much having to have your work face on early next morning.

We have a special this week, freshman & JV on Thursday Night Lights and Varsity solo on Friday afternoon. Friday Afternoon No Lights. :)

A weird feel was always a Saturday night home playoff game. Different night and no JV game leading up to the varsity game.

Unfortunately, all my alma mater's home games were on Saturday afternoons. The 3-4 away games that were played on Friday nights were always a treat.

I dug my HS, but as I got older I started to realize how deprived we all were of the excitement of Friday night home games. They finally got lights installed in 2004 and just debuted a turf field this season.

Far too late for me though.

Or a game rescheduled to a Thursday with no JV game. Don’t get quite the crowd and can’t relax as much having to have your work face on early next morning.

Yeah, I hated Thursday night games. Played and coached in a few of those.

Back in the day, San Juan and El Camino High's were the center of the universe for the Capital Valley and Capital Athletic Leagues. There were so many teams adopting them as their home field that the schedule spanned Thurs., Fri, and Sat with even a few Wed. games sprinkled too, if you can believe that.

San Juan's McArthur Field hosted La Sierra, Bella Vista, Del Campo, Mesa Verde, Casa Roble and, of course, San Juan.
El Camino's Abbott Field hosted Mira Loma, Encina, Rio Americano, El Camino and sometimes Bella Vista and Del Campo.

My school may not have had lights or a turf field, but at least we had a playable field on our own campus. ;)

We have a special this week, freshman & JV on Thursday Night Lights and Varsity solo on Friday afternoon. Friday Afternoon No Lights. :)

So long as it's not too hot ;) Remember last year at this same that they had to relocate the game to Folsom because of the heat wave. The Bulldogs were the visiting team on their home field.

Their still working on lights, I've heard. If Malibu High can win the legal battle for stadium lights against deep pocketed residents, then I gotta believe Jesuit would stand a chance in 'lil ol Carmichael.
Hope they can get it done soon. They deserve it.

Blanton is building a powerhouse program and playing under lights can only help add to the excitement.

I wonder if playing more games in the heat of the day puts Jesuit a leg up on conditioning.

Hope they can get it done soon. They deserve it.

Blanton is building a powerhouse program and playing under lights can only help add to the excitement.

I wonder if playing more games in the heat of the day puts Jesuit a leg up on conditioning.

It sure looked like it against my Bulldogs last year, they do have a slight advantage when playing during the day as other teams are not used to playing during the day as their whole pregame routine is changed due to the earlier start.

It sure looked like it against my Bulldogs last year, they do have a slight advantage when playing during the day as other teams are not used to playing during the day as their whole pregame routine is changed due to the earlier start.

I do think there's some truth to this. My school had a penchant for the occasional upset while at home in September. Many teams wilted under the sun and 100+ degree temps from 1-4PM.

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Their still working on lights, I've heard. If Malibu High can win the legal battle for stadium lights against deep pocketed residents, then I gotta believe Jesuit would stand a chance in 'lil ol Carmichael.

In the East Bay in recent years, both Northgate and College Park high schools have eventually been able to overcome strong neighborhood opposition to get lights installed after many years, so they can now play Friday night home games. With the current concussion situation in the national media and the effect it is having on HS football, I would have to think it’s only going to get harder to accomplish such a feat.

Reactions: ThunderRam
In the East Bay in recent years, both Northgate and College Park high schools have eventually been able to overcome strong neighborhood opposition to get lights installed after many years, so they can now play Friday night home games.

Great examples. I wasn't aware of either.

With the current concussion situation in the national media and the effect it is having on HS football, I would have to think it’s only going to get harder to accomplish such a feat.

Another good point to bring up. The only thing I'd counter with is that the stadium lights are used for more than just football games, no?

I can see the local HS in the area from my backyard (I'm in an elevated position) and the stadium lights are seemingly lit up quite often and throughout the year. I'm guessing soccer practices, track and numerous other events. My wife and I are always wondering what's going on over there when it's not football season. So perhaps the debate over tackle football wouldn't be enough to prevent it? IDK.

Unfortunately, all my alma mater's home games were on Saturday afternoons. The 3-4 away games that were played on Friday nights were always a treat.

I dug my HS, but as I got older I started to realize how deprived we all were of the excitement of Friday night home games. They finally got lights installed in 2004 and just debuted a turf field this season.

Far too late for me though.

I totally get where you're coming from. I graduated from Branham High School in 1977 and most all of our games were at 3:30PM on Friday afternoons. It's a good thing teams were primarily running the ball back in those days because as it was, it was getting fairly dark by the end of the games. The only team in our league with lights was Los Gatos and we only played under their lights every other year. I remember one night playoff game against Saratoga and a couple of non league night games against Sunnyvale High and Fremont High of Sunnyvale. I think I can count the number of night games I played in two years of varsity football on one hand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT