ADVERTISEMENT

What do you like about Friday Night Lights?

Great examples. I wasn't aware of either.

Another good point to bring up. The only thing I'd counter with is that the stadium lights are used for more than just football games, no?

I can see the local HS in the area from my backyard (I'm in an elevated position) and the stadium lights are seemingly lit up quite often and throughout the year. I'm guessing soccer practices, track and numerous other events. My wife and I are always wondering what's going on over there when it's not football season. So perhaps the debate over tackle football wouldn't be enough to prevent it? IDK.

Great points. And I’m sure sharing the stadium lights with soccer, track, lacrosse, etc. was an argument they used to help get the lights.

Yeah, I hated Thursday night games. Played and coached in a few of those.

San Juan's McArthur Field hosted La Sierra, Bella Vista, Del Campo, Mesa Verde, Casa Roble and, of course, San Juan.
Next week East Nicolaus plays Mesa Verde at San Juan on Thursday night. :(

Next week East Nicolaus plays Mesa Verde at San Juan on Thursday night. :(

Mesa puzzles me (I coached frosh for a season there in the 90's). 43 years and counting primarily playing home games at San Juan. It's no wonder they've never been able to build a winning culture. They've had some good coaches in that program too.

I totally get where you're coming from. I graduated from Branham High School in 1977 and most all of our games were at 3:30PM on Friday afternoons. It's a good thing teams were primarily running the ball back in those days because as it was, it was getting fairly dark by the end of the games. The only team in our league with lights was Los Gatos and we only played under their lights every other year. I remember one night playoff game against Saratoga and a couple of non league night games against Sunnyvale High and Fremont High of Sunnyvale. I think I can count the number of night games I played in two years of varsity football on one hand.
In my day, we went to practice at 8 A.M to 11 A.M. and 5 P.M. to sun down in the two a day times......The Jv's played all games at 4 P.M. on Thursday and the varsity at 7 P.M.on Friday night.
Our coach didn't believe in roasting the team in the mid afternoon, when we lost a game, we practiced in the dirt, but winning was on the lawn, it didn't take long for the teams to figure that out.
The whole time I spent in high school football , there were never any head injuries, but lots of bruises and frasures and even then it was hard hitting...

@smashmouthrick @bella123 Those are great memories. I often miss those late 70's and early 80's Monday night games with Dandy Don, Cosell and Gifford. 6pm West Coast start. My parents took me to my first game when I was 8 years old --- a Monday night'er at Oakland Coliseum to see my Dolphins against the Ray-dahs. I still remember all the anti-Cosell banners hanging throughout the stadium.

It was a different viewing world back then and MNF was the center of the universe. That was usually the only way to see highlights of your team that week -- at halftime. Also, I'll never forget when news broke during the Dolphins-Patriots telecast about the assassination of John Lennon.

I love living in a community where my son grew up going to our town's high school games, and is now playing for the team himself. I love the tradition here, and that so many coaches and parents and grandparents of our current players, also played for the team back in their day. I love that as a parent of a teen, I get to literally cheer for him (not to mention ring my cowbell) and his friends and teammates as they strive to achieve their goals.

It's very special and I'm so grateful to share in the experience!

@smashmouthrick @bella123 Those are great memories. I often miss those late 70's and early 80's Monday night games with Dandy Don, Cosell and Gifford. 6pm West Coast start. My parents took me to my first game when I was 8 years old --- a Monday night'er at Oakland Coliseum to see my Dolphins against the Ray-dahs. I still remember all the anti-Cosell banners hanging throughout the stadium.

It was a different viewing world back then and MNF was the center of the universe. That was usually the only way to see highlights of your team that week -- at halftime. Also, I'll never forget when news broke during the Dolphins-Patriots telecast about the assassination of John Lennon.

I remember the game and the announcement.

Game went to OT with fins winning.

Reactions: ThunderRam
So long as it's not too hot ;) Remember last year at this same that they had to relocate the game to Folsom because of the heat wave. The Bulldogs were the visiting team on their home field.

I remember.......we are heading to Liberty High this afternoon, so hopefully, Brentwood won't be too brutal.....Friday afternoon we are at the Honor Bowl at St. Francis High School so praying that Mountain View is nice but not hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
I remember we are heading to Liberty High this afternoon, so hopefully, Brentwood won't be too brutal.....Friday afternoon we are at the Honor Bowl at St. Francis High School so praying that Mountain View is nice but not hot.
Ridgerider....It should be great football weather, about 80 with a breeze, three great games, what a way to spend the afternoon...

Reactions: RidgeRider
I remember.......we are heading to Liberty High this afternoon, so hopefully, Brentwood won't be too brutal.....Friday afternoon we are at the Honor Bowl at St. Francis High School so praying that Mountain View is nice but not hot.
Wish I could be there. One consolation for me is it is not a night game for DO so won’t miss fun under the lights. Hope St Francis stadium lights are a bit more reliable than AV’s for those attending the night game.

Stay cool RR! Need you to post updates;)

Wish I could be there. One consolation for me is it is not a night game for DO so won’t miss fun under the lights. Hope St Francis stadium lights are a bit more reliable than AV’s for those attending the night game.

Stay cool RR! Need you to post updates;)

Sounds good. I'll create an update thread for tonight and post when I think about it and tomorrow night for sure.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
The weather has cooled down the past few days. It's supposed to stay that way throughout the weekend. It still will be roasting on the turf fields for all the players, but shouldn't be too bad for all the fans.

The weather has cooled down the past few days. It's supposed to stay that way throughout the weekend. It still will be roasting on the turf fields for all the players, but shouldn't be too bad for all the fans.
Except for the visitor fans on most stadiums sit with the sun roasting you during JV games and part of the first qtr of the Varsity game but good thing it’s only in the beginning of the season as later on in the season it will be dark before the Varsity game even starts:D

**BUMP**

Re: the topic of Jesuit and stadium lights, I was just made aware that Jesuit and Rio Americano played a FRI night game at Loyola Field --- the first night game in school history. Of course portables were used, but getting that together was still a task (and a litmus test I'm sure). I wonder if this is small sign of things to come....

https://www.abc10.com/video/sports/...hael-night-lights-game-highlights/103-8252613

**BUMP**

Re: the topic of Jesuit and stadium lights, I was just made aware that Jesuit and Rio Americano played a FRI night game at Loyola Field --- the first night game in school history. Of course portables were used, but getting that together was still a task (and a litmus test I'm sure). I wonder if this is small sign of things to come....

https://www.abc10.com/video/sports/...hael-night-lights-game-highlights/103-8252613

Awesome!

Hope temporary lighting morphs to permanent lighting. Nothing like Friday light nights!

Another thing about Friday night lights. Seeing your high school coach . When in high school you thought was older than dirt. Now he looks better than you! And he's 93!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT