ADVERTISEMENT

WOOD READY TO CHALLENGE NAPA

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
Going into the 2016 season the Wildcats will be led by Senior QB Carson Strong and a deadly passing attack, but backed up by a strong and fast ground game...Wood is loaded with Seniors for this season and are coming off a 2015 schedule that saw Wood go 4-1 in league play and 10-2 for the season. Woods only league loss was to Napa at 38-21. and the big league win was dumping Vacaville 41-25 for a little revenge. The playoff's ended quick, but in a roaring shootout that saw Del Oro win 59-49..

8-20.....Scrimmage at Alhambra.....about 9:A.m.
8-26.....Concord Home 7:30 P.M.
9-02.....River Valley Home 7:30 P.M.
9-09.....Liberty Home 7:15 P..
9-16.....American Canyon Home 7:30 P.M.
9-23.....Fairfield Away 7:30 P.M.
9-30.....Bye
10-07...Napa Away 7:30 P.M.
10-14...Armijo Home 7:30 P.M.
10-21...Rodriquez Home 7:30 P.M.
10-28...Vintage Away 7:30 P.M.
11-04...Vacaville Away 7:30 P..
In the scrimmage last season against Alhambra, the Bulldogs took too many chances and went on 4th downs, and they all back fired and the Wood passing attack was brutal against a pour Bulldog defense and Wood went on to win 42-3...Concord doesn't present much of a threat as Wood ran over the Minutemen 56-16, now the next three preason games will be different, but Wood should prevail...

I don't know anything about Wood's incoming QB but Howard will be EXTREMELY hard to replace. That guy was a player.

I don't know anything about Wood's incoming QB but Howard will be EXTREMELY hard to replace. That guy was a player.
Carson Strong had to take a back seat to Howard, Strong is quick and has a good arm and almost as good as Howard, it will be interesting to see if Strong can follow Howard's footsteps, in any case Wood has another good season coming.

Carson Strong had to take a back seat to Howard, Strong is quick and has a good arm and almost as good as Howard, it will be interesting to see if Strong can follow Howard's footsteps, in any case Wood has another good season coming.

Blue - not trying to be a naysayer but.......... Wood had the following MEL 1st Team All League:

Kristian Arias - Sr.
Arthur Jackson - Sr.
Tayvian Cunningham - Sr.
Damon Lewis - Sr.
Marcus Howard - Sr.
Germaine Lewis - Sr.
Jordan Boyd - Sr.
Tharon Cornist - Sr.
Matthew Howard - Sr.
Rafael Gallegos - Sr.

All Seniors - I can't see them replacing that group but I'm wrong most of the time!

Bluedog2,
I believe Strong is Jr. (6'4") he also played Varsity Basketball for Wood 2015-16. He played in 29 Games Scored 393 Points. He made 135 FG out of 249 FGA. He had 283 Rebounds (111 Offensive Rebounds & 172 Defensive Rebounds). He also had 41 Assists. I like the Pre Season Schedule. Wood gets Concord to start the season then they play River Valley of Yuba City (I think both schools from Vacaville are playing both school from Yuba City). Does anyone have info on River Valley? Then they get Liberty of Brentwood (both schools from Vacaville playing Liberty). Then American Canyon (hope to hear info on AC-do they have a new coach?). Then they play Fairfield (a new coach is there, wud have been interesting if Fishleigh wud have return).. I believe there may be new coaches at Rodriquez, Armijo & Vintage as well. Napa always ready!

Last edited:
Bluedog2,
I believe Strong is Jr. (6'4") he also played Varsity Basketball for Wood 2015-16. He played in 29 Games Scored 393 Points. He made 135 FG out of 249 FGA. He had 283 Rebounds (111 Offensive Rebounds & 172 Defensive Rebounds). He also had 41 Assists. I like the Pre Season Schedule. Wood gets Concord to start the season then they play River Valley of Yuba City 9I think both schools from Vacaville are playing both school from Yuba City). Does anyone have info on River Valley? Then they get Liberty of Brentwood (both schools from Vacaville playing Liberty). Then American Canyon (hope to hear info on AC-do they have a new coach?). Then they play Fairfield (a new coach is there, wud have been interesting if Fishleigh wud have return).. I believe there may be new coaches at Rodriquez, Armijo & Vintage as well. Napa always ready!
NCSCALFOOTBALL.....Strong is a Junior, guys from Vacaville while I was at the Wood Alhambra scrimmage had high praise for him, said he could step in at QB at any time, he was quick, good arm and smart, Wood doesn't get much help from the JV team, but there is enough to support the Wildcats n they meet Napa.....BUT, I don't know what is in the water at Napa,, but the JV team for the Indians could be dangerous...

Bluedog2,
I believe Strong is Jr. (6'4") he also played Varsity Basketball for Wood 2015-16. He played in 29 Games Scored 393 Points. He made 135 FG out of 249 FGA. He had 283 Rebounds (111 Offensive Rebounds & 172 Defensive Rebounds). He also had 41 Assists. I like the Pre Season Schedule. Wood gets Concord to start the season then they play River Valley of Yuba City (I think both schools from Vacaville are playing both school from Yuba City). Does anyone have info on River Valley? Then they get Liberty of Brentwood (both schools from Vacaville playing Liberty). Then American Canyon (hope to hear info on AC-do they have a new coach?). Then they play Fairfield (a new coach is there, wud have been interesting if Fishleigh wud have return).. I believe there may be new coaches at Rodriquez, Armijo & Vintage as well. Napa always ready!
NCSCALFOOTBALL....It looks like River Valley got hit by graduation as they had a great season in 2015.....They went 5-1 in Tri-County League and 8-3 for the season....They lost to Yuba City last year 31-29 in a close game and 35-21 to Pleasant Valley and were bombed 56-41 by Placer in the playoff's, but this looks like a good match up.

River Valley beat Yuba City 31-29.

They had three losses:
Inderkum 48-21
Pleasant Valley 35-21- Saw game on film and River Valley very well could have won, in fact I think they where winning the whole game till the end
Placer 56-41- Game was back in forth. I think Placer got a pick 6 for 90+ yards to win the game with under a min to go.

River Valley has tough kids and good size up front. They have had some speed recently as well. They have had solid Frosh and JV programs for the last 4 years or so (JV team was down last year compared to recent history.) RV is well coached. They lose two top backs from last year and a pretty good qb who is mobile (I think all league.) They have a really good kicker, I think he kicked out of the endzone on all kicks in our game.

River Valley beat Yuba City 31-29.

They had three losses:
Inderkum 48-21
Pleasant Valley 35-21- Saw game on film and River Valley very well could have won, in fact I think they where winning the whole game till the end
Placer 56-41- Game was back in forth. I think Placer got a pick 6 for 90+ yards to win the game with under a min to go.

River Valley has tough kids and good size up front. They have had some speed recently as well. They have had solid Frosh and JV programs for the last 4 years or so (JV team was down last year compared to recent history.) RV is well coached. They lose two top backs from last year and a pretty good qb who is mobile (I think all league.) They have a really good kicker, I think he kicked out of the endzone on all kicks in our game.
MISYARK.....Got my w/L in the wrong place in the Yuba City game and River valley's league wins were by big scores, they just couldn't deal with Inderkum....

Is the Coach of RV formally an Assistant Coach from Del Oro? What type of Offense they run! Thank you all for the info!

No, that's the old coach (Sherman only coached one year then went back to Del Oro)

McFadden is the HC at RV, he played at Nevada Union and Utah St. River Valley has some ex N.U. coaches on staff and one the helps out behind the scenes and is very knowledgeable.

RV runs a pistol/one back pro type offense. They run some zone run game schemes mixed with some power/sweeps. They have run a lot of fly action out of the one back as well and at times they get into two backs power run game.

No, that's the old coach (Sherman only coached one year then went back to Del Oro)

McFadden is the HC at RV, he played at Nevada Union and Utah St. River Valley has some ex N.U. coaches on staff and one the helps out behind the scenes and is very knowledgeable.

RV runs a pistol/one back pro type offense. They run some zone run game schemes mixed with some power/sweeps. They have run a lot of fly action out of the one back as well and at times they get into two backs power run game.
MISTARK......With a pistol/one back type offense, they must have some one who really teaches the linemen what to do, if you look at the scores that RV has run up, it tells the story....Finding guys that can teach proper line training don't come along very often.

I am not sure how they will be this year but last years team was solid upfront and they had speed with a really good QB (good team).

I think their speed gave lots of teams problems last year (both on offense and defense)

Bluedog2. i gotta agree withyou on the Line Teaching. When I used to Coach Youth Football...to me I it started with the Line everything else came natural...the scores used to go up to the 40's +...are the Linemen from RV Road Graders? Getting Hyped already! Very interesting indeed to hear about former NU Coaches...looks like RV is in good hands....

Bluedog2. i gotta agree withyou on the Line Teaching. When I used to Coach Youth Football...to me I it started with the Line everything else came natural...the scores used to go up to the 40's +...are the Linemen from RV Road Graders? Getting Hyped already! Very interesting indeed to hear about former NU Coaches...looks like RV is in good hands....
GUYS....Ever notice that you may have about eight to 12 linemen that were all good sized, but out of the group, there Is always several that are extremely aggressive and these are the guys that open holes on offense and protect the QB on defense and in most cases, the rest will step up their game an hopefully you have a good line coach that points every one in the right direction, this must be the type that points RV O and D....NCSCALFOOTBALL I think you are right about being in good hands....

GUYS....Ever notice that you may have about eight to 12 linemen that were all good sized, but out of the group, there Is always several that are extremely aggressive and these are the guys that open holes on offense and protect the QB on defense and in most cases, the rest will step up their game an hopefully you have a good line coach that points every one in the right direction, this must be the type that points RV O and D....NCSCALFOOTBALL I think you are right about being in good hands....

Sometimes the biggest strongest linemen can be the softest

When the other players noticed the Line doing well my players fed off that and always encouraged each other...hence the PF/PA...

When the other players noticed the Line doing well my players fed off that and always encouraged each other...hence the PF/PA...

Through all the rule changes and with more advanced passing attacks one thing has remained the same, games are still won and lost in the trenches the majority of the time, that will never change.

Captain Obvious signing off!!

Last edited:
Wood is NOT ready to challenge Napa. Napa brings back a host of talent and a JV team that absolutely destroyed Wood. Napa also has a blueprint for stopping Wood that has proven successful over the years. I predict it will be Napa and Vacaville battling for MEL supremacy once again. Some things never change.

Thank you Napa Injun on the info....how do you see Vacaville doing this year in both Pre/Regular Season? Thanks again!

Vacaville will be loaded and return a lot with players who have considerable experience. The Bulldogs also have a running back who played varsity last year as a freshman. I can only imagine how he will look with a year of weight lifting and experience under his belt. Of course both teams will need to remain healthy throughout the season and a number of kids will need to step up as Juniors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT