ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Finals/Regional Berths

Do you feel that is a flaw though? The bay valley league is ranked as the 8th best league in California while the highest rated ccs league is west catholic at 15th. According to calpreps.com

All the section seedings have some issues. Not everyone is happy. NCS seeded Bishop O'Dowd 4th behind marin Cathoic that went undeated but SOS wasn't exceptional and Cardinal Newman and Rancho Cotate..who are in the same league andsplit their games against each other (one league and one nonleague). CN also lost to St Mary's - Stockton. Bishop ODowd lost to a good Freedom and a DelaSalle. Best win for Marin Catholic was an okay Campolindo. Bishop ODowd beat a higher ranked San Leandro and had faced several more higher ranked teams (Cal Preps). Cardinal Newman beat and lost to Rancho Cotate but won its league because it it was the designated league game (the other nonleague). Rancho Cotate was ranked higher than San Leandro but Cardinal Newman also lost to them . There is an argument for Bishop ODowd to be ranked higher than all, or at least #2 but were seeded #4.

All I am saying, there is no perfect system. CCS actually has been rather innovative in many ways. They had an Open divivson for many years and have set up a system that at least those that move on to the bowl are now at least relatively representative to the best teams by enrollment size. Yes...one of two WCAL teams might be better than those that move to the bowl but it is way better than before.

All the section seedings have some issues. Not everyone is happy. NCS seeded Bishop O'Dowd 4th behind marin Cathoic that went undeated but SOS wasn't exceptional and Cardinal Newman and Rancho Cotate..who are in the same league andsplit their games against each other (one league and one nonleague). CN also lost to St Mary's - Stockton. Bishop ODowd lost to a good Freedom and a DelaSalle. Best win for Marin Catholic was an okay Campolindo. Bishop ODowd beat a higher ranked San Leandro and had faced several more higher ranked teams (Cal Preps). Cardinal Newman beat and lost to Rancho Cotate but won its league because it it was the designated league game (the other nonleague). Rancho Cotate was ranked higher than San Leandro but Cardinal Newman also lost to them . There is an argument for Bishop ODowd to be ranked higher than all, or at least #2 but were seeded #4.

All I am saying, there is no perfect system. CCS actually has been rather innovative in many ways. They had an Open divivson for many years and have set up a system that at least those that move on to the bowl are now at least relatively representative to the best teams by enrollment size. Yes...one of two WCAL teams might be better than those that move to the bowl but it is way better than before.

As far as out of section teams how come when it comes to deciding whether a team is an A,B,C opponent CCS just looks at their lowest ranked league that is an A league and if the out of section team's league is ranked higher that team is an A league opponent.

As far as out of section teams how come when it comes to deciding whether a team is an A,B,C opponent CCS just looks at their lowest ranked league that is an A league and if the out of section team's league is ranked higher that team is an A league opponent.
To me personally I think using a service like calpreps/freeman metrics is a good way to do it and makes the most sense, but I believe they charge for it and CCS doesn't want to pay for it.

I haven't looked at how NCS does the seeding but Rancho Cotate (seeded 3) has the highest calpreps metric in the NCS playoff division followed by Bishop ODowd (seeded #4) then Cardinal Newman (seed 2) and Marin Catholic (seed #1) has the lowest rating. The calpreps ratings while good indications are not fail proof in intersection play and only way to get a reading is if there is lots of cross section play. I guess weighting a league makes sense but then not sure how much better the system will work. I'm sure in some cases it would make sense, but were talking about seedings and a few at large teams getting into an Open Division Playoff. The way the playoffs are set up, the at large teams have a little sot of winning a playoff with possibly a WCAL team like Bellarmine winning D1 Open but that is highly unlikely, or a Sacred Heart Cathedral winning CCS D3 which is highly unlikely. So my answer to you is weighting leagues versus records makes some sense but does it make much difference than what CCS does now at least in getting in the Open division bowl? Probably not. If a marginal team gets knocked out of a playoff, the chances are they probably shouldn't be in it. As far as not being seeded as high as a team should be, I think teams need to go through each other anyways or should be able to so what is the difference. My team as an alumni has consistently what seems to have had lower seeds because of some league rules (such as the old WCAL teams shouldn't face each other in the first round of playoffs) and it made their path harder, but in other cases they received the benefit of a higher seeding. I think it all evens out. But in answer to your point - I think if the section uses league weightings for their section that if there is a good way (affordable) to do the same with out of sections games, by all means they should stay consistent.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
Will sort out the brackets shortly but if the WCAL enforces their league integrity rule SI would need to get into the field with 16 points before Mitty with 21 points and Bellarmine with 18 points are placed in. This would mean SHP and Leigh would join Burlingame and Seaside as at large teams in the field

If this is the case Wilcox will move to DI. Leigh and Aptos will go to DII and SHP will go to DIII

If the WCAL no longer uses that rule then the at large teams are seaside mitty Burlingame and the last spot is a draw between Leigh Bellarmine and SHP

Reactions: 831ccschamp
Here are the final projections - per my note above I am unsure if the WCAL still enforces their league integrity rule or not which would keep Mitty and Bellarmine out of this year's play-offs. I am assuming that the rule is in effect.

In the case the league integrity rule is not in effect Mitty makes the field as an at-large with 21 points and is in DII and pushes Aptos back to DIII (unless SHP is the last team drawn in). The last spot would be a draw between Bellarmine (who would go in as the #8 seed in DI and bump Wilcox Back to DII); Leigh who would go into DII; and SHP who would go to DIII and much Aptos up to DII.

Projected Playoff field
Open Division I
8. Palo Alto 3-7 19 vs 1 Milpitas 10-0 31.5
5. San Benito 6-4 23 vs 4. Wilcox 7-3 24.5
6. Menlo-Atherton 6-4 22.5 vs 3. Piedmont Hills 8-2 26
7. Los Gatos 5-5 22 vs 2. Salinas 8-2 30.5

Open Division II
8. Leigh 4-6 18 vs 1. Serra 8-2 30
5. St Francis 7-3 26 vs 4. Oak Grove 6-4 26.5
6. Aptos 7-3 25.5 vs 3. Valley Christian 8-2 26.5
7. Westmont 7-3 23 vs 2. Aragon 9-1 27.5

Open Division III
8. Sacred Heart Prep 3-7 18 vs 1. Half Moon Bay 10-0 29.5
4/5. Seaside 6-4 22.5 vs 4/5. Live Oak 6-4 22.5
6. Terra Nova 5-5 20 vs 3. Sacred Heart Cathedral 6-4 23
7. Bulringame 6-4 20 vs 2. Palma 6-4 23.5

Non-Open Divisions

Division IV
8. Willow Glen 7-3 20 vs 1. Leland 9-1 25.5
4/5 Santa Clara, Cupertino, Alisal or Independence 20.5
6. 5 Santa Clara, Cupertino, Alisal or Independence 20.5 vs 3. Branham 7-3 21.5
7. 5 Santa Clara, Cupertino, Alisal or Independence 20.5 vs 2. Christopher 8-2 23

4 way tie at 20.5 points between Santa Clara, Cupertino, Alisal and Independence

Final Division V Field

8. Santa Cruz 5-5 15 vs 1. Gilroy 10-0 26.5
5. Sobrato 8-2 19.5 or Scotts Valley 6-419.5 vs 4. Hillsdale 7-3 20.5
6. Sobrato 8-2 19.5 or Scotts Valley 6-4 19.5 vs 3. Soledad 7-3 21
7. Jefferson 8-2 18.5 vs 2. Menlo 6-4 21.5

The WCAL integrity rule for entry into CCS playoffs seems to be the same according to point C below. However, there is a 3 way tie for the fifth place in league between SI, Mitty and Bellarmine. The winner of the tie break still has to have enough CCS powerpoints to qualify for playoffs.

http://www.wcalsports.org/docs/handbook/Article IV – Football.pdf
15. CENTRAL COAST SECTION PLAYOFFS
A. The League champion shall be designated as the #1 representative of the League to the CCS playoffs. Section 13. D. on page 56 clarifies how ties are resolved for the league championship, and representative to CCS.
B. The second-place team in the final League standings shall be designated as the number two representative of the League in the Central Coast Section playoffs.
C. Other teams may qualify as nominees to the CCS playoffs in the order of the final League standings.
D. Opting Out of the CCS Playoffs: A school shall not withdraw its team from such competition without prior notice to the Commissioner. In the event a team chooses not to participate in the CCS Playoffs or does not have enough CCS entry points to quality for the CCS playoffs, each team below that team in the round robin standings moves up one place.

The WCAL integrity rule for entry into CCS playoffs seems to be the same according to point C below. However, there is a 3 way tie for the fifth place in league between SI, Mitty and Bellarmine. The winner of the tie break still has to have enough CCS powerpoints to qualify for playoffs.

http://www.wcalsports.org/docs/handbook/Article IV – Football.pdf
15. CENTRAL COAST SECTION PLAYOFFS
A. The League champion shall be designated as the #1 representative of the League to the CCS playoffs. Section 13. D. on page 56 clarifies how ties are resolved for the league championship, and representative to CCS.
B. The second-place team in the final League standings shall be designated as the number two representative of the League in the Central Coast Section playoffs.
C. Other teams may qualify as nominees to the CCS playoffs in the order of the final League standings.
D. Opting Out of the CCS Playoffs: A school shall not withdraw its team from such competition without prior notice to the Commissioner. In the event a team chooses not to participate in the CCS Playoffs or does not have enough CCS entry points to quality for the CCS playoffs, each team below that team in the round robin standings moves up one place.

While true, Bellarmine lost to both SI and Mitty. SI beat both Mitty and Bellarmine. SI wins the tie-breaker.

Reactions: FBAddict
Here are the final projections - per my note above I am unsure if the WCAL still enforces their league integrity rule or not which would keep Mitty and Bellarmine out of this year's play-offs. I am assuming that the rule is in effect.

In the case the league integrity rule is not in effect Mitty makes the field as an at-large with 21 points and is in DII and pushes Aptos back to DIII (unless SHP is the last team drawn in). The last spot would be a draw between Bellarmine (who would go in as the #8 seed in DI and bump Wilcox Back to DII); Leigh who would go into DII; and SHP who would go to DIII and much Aptos up to DII.

Projected Playoff field
Open Division I

Open Division II

Open Division III

Non-Open Divisions

Division IV
7. 5 Santa Clara, Cupertino, Alisal or Independence 20.5 vs 2. Christopher 8-2 23

4 way tie at 20.5 points between Santa Clara, Cupertino, Alisal and Independence

Final Division V Field

Darren Sabedra of the San Jose Mercury News reported last night: "CCS commissioner Duane Morgan said his office confirmed with NCS commissioner Gil Lemmon about DLS being a league champ.". As such, "here's top half of CCS Open II:
1 Serra 30 points
2 Aragon 27.5
3 St. Francis 27, including 1 pt for DLS as EBAL champ
4 VC 26.5"
If this is true, St. Francis would appear to be the #3 seed in DII. Thoughts?

Darren Sabedra of the San Jose Mercury News reported last night: "CCS commissioner Duane Morgan said his office confirmed with NCS commissioner Gil Lemmon about DLS being a league champ.". As such, "here's top half of CCS Open II:
1 Serra 30 points
2 Aragon 27.5
4 VC 26.5"

If true, that is messed up. VC is 8-2, SF is 7-3. VC beat SF. VC is 6-1 in league and placed 2nd, SF is 5-2 and placed 3rd. Is Sabedra is right it just goes to show how messed up the CCS system is.

1 Serra 30 points
2 Aragon 27.5
4 VC 26.5"

If true, that is messed up. VC is 8-2, SF is 7-3. VC beat SF. VC is 6-1 in league and placed 2nd, SF is 5-2 and placed 3rd. Is Sabedra is right it just goes to show how messed up the CCS system is.
However the CCS rules seed teams is fine with me. I am surprised that this issue needed commish clarification this year when in fact DLS has been freelance for several years and Serra has played DLS in those years.

If the DLS league title point was given to Serra the last couple years, it stand to reason must be applied to SF this year. However, if the point was not given to Serra previously, it should not given to SF this year.

1 Serra 30 points
2 Aragon 27.5
4 VC 26.5"
DLS would not be EBAL champ but instead the assumed Freelance League champ

DLS would not be EBAL champ but instead the assumed Freelance League champ
I don't know - you may be correct. Going by what Darren also reported: "DLS is technically in the EBAL, and the EBAL gives DLS its No. 1 (league champion) spot automatically.".

Projected Playoff field
Open Division I

Open Division II

Open Division III

Non-Open Divisions

Division IV

Final Division V Field

Projected Playoff field
Open Division I

Open Division II

Open Division III

Non-Open Divisions

Division IV

Final Division V Field

I'm hearing rumors that 1 or more teams have qualified for playoff spot but will opt to not participate in playoffs. This will significantly change the brackets.

Without being specific, it's called getting bodybagged due to the significant difference in level of play. Keeping your players healthy from CTE is a good idea. Dominoes may fall and others may opt out as well. It's a tough call by me respect goes out to a HC for making the call.

There's absolutely no correlation between the CCS seeding and league standings. None.

SF played 2 league champs in non-league. VC played none.

Everyone knows the rules before the season starts.

I can't see teams pulling out of the playoffs. How do you go back to your team and tell them they qualified for the playoffs but the coaching staff does not believe you can compete??? A coach who does this is sending the WRONG message to his team. I cannot see a school administration allowing this to happen. Quitting should never be allowed or tolerated.

CTE??? The coach or coaches of these mysterious teams should consider letting someone else coach their teams. Again I have a hard time believing a coach would be cowardice enough to pull out. Not fair to kids.

CTE. Common sense
If you look back a couple years, why didn't Serra play Milpitas in the "Consolation" bracket? Yes, injuries.....common sense. Pointless game. Same goes for this years team who is opting out.

Big difference. Serra opted out of a meaningless one year consolation game that meant nothing. Do you mind revealing the team?

Uh. Kinda the same concept. I'm not taking my team of 18 with a losing record to play Rob Ryan and the caged Samoan lions to get scorched by 70 and helicoptered to Kaiser multiple times.

Uh. Kinda the same concept. I'm not taking my team of 18 with a losing record to play Rob Ryan and the caged Samoan lions to get scorched by 70 and helicoptered to Kaiser multiple times.

But if your team had a winning record you would have no problem subjecting them to that risk? Thats BS.

You must be referring to Leigh than since you already have made comments about how ridiculous this match up will be. You have also referred to the Serra DC as Rob Ryan in another occasion.
With a roster of a lot more than 18 I doubt their head coach will tuck his tail between his legs and run away.

You must be referring to Leigh than since you already have made comments about how ridiculous this match up will be. You have also referred to the Serra DC as Rob Ryan in another occasion.
With a roster of a lot more than 18 I doubt their head coach will tuck his tail between his legs and run away.
I started the thread stating their was a team opting out of playoffs, big deal. Nobody believed me. I never mentioned Leigh or Serra so make your assumptions. Rob Ryan was a Shitty D.C, the Serra DC is the best in the game. I hope they win state.

Again I emphasize that I have a hard time believing that an educator of young men would be able to look them in the eye and tell them “I am sorry but I decided you are not worthy of playing in a playoff game that you earned.”

Just getting started, tons of testerone in the room this morning, probably my favorite meeting of the year. Seems every year some coach puts there team on the board with 14-16 points. Looks as if my intel was correct. I don't see The OG HC here, maybe another coach is in his place?Shoukd be an interesting meeting. Good luck to all playoff teams!

Last edited:
Just getting started, tons of testerone in the room this morning, probably my favorite meeting of the year. Seems every year some coach puts there team on the board with 14-16 points. Should be an interesting meeting. Good luck to all playoff teams!
Please provide some ambient comments about the meeting as it progresses...

Please provide some ambient comments about the meeting as it progresses...
I feel for VC if SF gets a point for DeLa Salle. Having followed this for some time - the CCS had a written rule that if you played DLS you got a point. When DLS played for the EBAL championship that rule was rescinded and to my knowledge never reinstated when DLS stopped playing for the EBAL championship. The last couple of years Serra did not get a point for playing DLS. I don't understand why SF gets a point this year. The rationale that DLS is the "freelance" Champion makes no sense - freelance means you are not part of a league. Is Harker also a freelance champ for going 9-0? They played a number of CCS teams as well.

Clearly DLS is the hardest opponent a team can schedule in the region - and if CCS wants to reinstate their old rule it would be highly justified - but to make it up on the fly like they are doing this year seems wrong to me.

Again I emphasize that I have a hard time believing that an educator of young men would be able to look them in the eye and tell them “I am sorry but I decided you are not worthy of playing in a playoff game that you earned.”
Not going to happen unless the parents/administration sign off on the coach decision. If he tries to do this without the parents/administration consent it will be his last year coaching at that school and possibly any other school. The coach can propose his idea to the parents/administration but it won't hold water if he doesn't get their blessings. So at the end of the day it's the decision of the players parent(s) as well as the administration to allow or not allow their kid to participate in the post season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT