ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Finals/Regional Berths

I’m aware of the tie breakers. Like I said, I just thought it was a little disingenuous how he was representing things.

Speed - just to clarify Joebl is correct in his post about Mitty & Bellarmine being the 6th and 7th place teams in WCAL. You are going strictly by win/loss records and the WCAL also takes into consideration head to head results. S.I. beat both Mitty and Bellarmine so S.I. is the 5th place team this season. Mitty beat Bellarmine so Mitty edges out Bells for 6th place and Bells fall into 7th place. There are some instances where a tie can occur such as last season for WCAL 1rst place when VC beat Serra, Serra beat SF and SF beat VC all ending with 6-1 records, which eliminates 2nd & 3rd place. That is not the case with S.I. Mitty and Bells this season.
Final 2017 WCAL League Standings:
1] Serra 7-05]
2] VC 6-1
3] SF 5-2
4] SHC 4-3
5] S.I. 2-5
6] Mitty 2-5
7] Bells 2-5
8] ARHS 1-6

Speed - just to clarify Joebl is correct in his post about Mitty & Bellarmine being the 6th and 7th place teams in WCAL. You are going strictly by win/loss records and the WCAL also takes into consideration head to head results. S.I. beat both Mitty and Bellarmine so S.I. is the 5th place team this season. Mitty beat Bellarmine so Mitty edges out Bells for 6th place and Bells fall into 7th place. There are some instances where a tie can occur such as last season for WCAL 1rst place when VC beat Serra, Serra beat SF and SF beat VC all ending with 6-1 records, which eliminates 2nd & 3rd place. That is not the case with S.I. Mitty and Bells this season.
Final 2017 WCAL League Standings:
1] Serra 7-05]
2] VC 6-1
3] SF 5-2
4] SHC 4-3
5] S.I. 2-5
6] Mitty 2-5
7] Bells 2-5
8] ARHS 1-6
**SHC 3-4

Swapped the numbers so accurate Calispectator.

SpeedCity51
- just a matter of perspective and in simple wins/losses your point of view is as accurate as the other way around. S.I. in having a very rough year was unbelieveable in beating both Mitty & Bells - something they couldn't do with many of their better teams. So in that sense I guess its fair they slip by both teams and make the "middle tier" of the league with SHC. Even more unlikely since they lost to both SHC & Riordan.

I’m aware of the tie breakers. Like I said, I just thought it was a little disingenuous how he was representing things.

That's funny! Since when is posting facts become disingenuous in representing things?
As I stated previously, hard to rate how good PAL Bay is when they did not play any top teams. PAL Bay's top teams may very well be as good as the upper half of the WCAL, we simply just dont know. HMB could very well be top 3 CCS team, and it is unfortunate we wont find out unless Aragon wins Open 2 by beating 2 WCAL teams. I think HMB will win Open 3, but it also would not be shocking to me if they would lose to SHC. Milpitas is in a similar situation where we really dont have a good sense of how good they are, and we wont find out in the CCS playoffs since they really dont have any top teams in Open 1. Reminds me a bit when Palo Alto had their incredible run in 2010. We didnt know how good they were until the Open Playoffs where they beat 3 WCAL teams for the CCS title and then went on to beat Centennial. Now that there are 3 Open divisions, and the top 3 rated WCAL teams are all in Open 2, Open 1 & 3 are really watered down in comparison. Wish the State would implement a playoff system and subsequently the Sections can go back to a playoff to enter. Would be great to see Milpitas, VC, Serra, HMB in a 4 team playoff to represent the section to move on to state playoff...

That's funny! Since when is posting facts become disingenuous in representing things?
As I stated previously, hard to rate how good PAL Bay is when they did not play any top teams. PAL Bay's top teams may very well be as good as the upper half of the WCAL, we simply just dont know. HMB could very well be top 3 CCS team, and it is unfortunate we wont find out unless Aragon wins Open 2 by beating 2 WCAL teams. I think HMB will win Open 3, but it also would not be shocking to me if they would lose to SHC. Milpitas is in a similar situation where we really dont have a good sense of how good they are, and we wont find out in the CCS playoffs since they really dont have any top teams in Open 1. Reminds me a bit when Palo Alto had their incredible run in 2010. We didnt know how good they were until the Open Playoffs where they beat 3 WCAL teams for the CCS title and then went on to beat Centennial. Now that there are 3 Open divisions, and the top 3 rated WCAL teams are all in Open 2, Open 1 & 3 are really watered down in comparison. Wish the State would implement a playoff system and subsequently the Sections can go back to a playoff to enter. Would be great to see Milpitas, VC, Serra, HMB in a 4 team playoff to represent the section to move on to state playoff...

I found it a little disingenuous because it ignores that the “6th and 7th place schools” had the same conference record as the 5th place school and better overall records. But, whatever, games start tomorrow and the proof will be In the pudding.

M-A's losses to Mitty and Bellarmine really hurt the PAL Bay's status in 2017. Even a modest split would have helped. Still, at least in this particular season, the PAL Bay ranks as the best overall CCS public school league. That's not always the case but it is this time.

Below are the Calpreps schedule and computer predictions for the CCS Semi-finals. Only 3 of the 10 games are projected to be within 10 points. I have added the CCS rankings for each team. The computer is blind to things like injuries and other factors that can influence these games.

OPEN I PLAYOFFS
Menlo-Atherton (Atherton, CA) (8) at Milpitas (CA) (2), 7:00pm [projection: Milpitas (CA) 35-17]
Los Gatos (CA) (17) at Salinas (CA), 7:00pm [projection: Salinas (CA) (7) 31-19]

OPEN II PLAYOFFS
St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) (3) at Aragon (San Mateo, CA) (6), 7:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) 27-17]

OPEN III PLAYOFFS
Live Oak (Morgan Hill, CA) (23) at Half Moon Bay (CA) (5) , 7:00pm [projection: Half Moon Bay (CA) 44-13]
Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) (11) vs. Palma (Salinas, CA) (16) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm [projection: Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) 26-24]

IV PLAYOFFS
Santa Clara (CA) (39) at Leland (San Jose, CA) (22), 7:00pm [projection: Leland (San Jose, CA) 38-21]

V PLAYOFFS
Hillsdale (San Mateo, CA) (20) at Gilroy (CA) (14), 7:00pm [projection: Hillsdale (San Mateo, CA) 27-22]

Saturday, November 25th

OPEN II PLAYOFFS
Valley Christian (San Jose, CA) (4) at Serra (San Mateo, CA) (1), 1:00pm [projection: Serra [Junipero] (San Mateo, CA) 35-21]

IV PLAYOFFS
Alisal (Salinas, CA) (33) at Christopher (Gilroy, CA) (22), 1:00pm [projection: Christopher (Gilroy, CA) 28-20]

V PLAYOFFS
Scotts Valley (CA) (34) at Menlo (Atherton, CA) (15), 1:00pm [projection: Menlo (Atherton, CA) 28-10]

That is true. Aptos had 6 starters out against Terra Nova last week including their 1,000 yard plus rusher two way starter.

OPEN I PLAYOFFS
Menlo-Atherton (Atherton, CA) (8) at Milpitas (CA) (2), 7:00pm [projection: Milpitas (CA) 35-17]

Milpitas should win, but could be relatively close. Might be low scoring game. MA may have tough time scoreing more than 2 TDs unless Milpitas makes turnovers. Still like Milpitas by at least 7.

Los Gatos (CA) (17) at Salinas (CA), 7:00pm [projection: Salinas (CA) (7) 31-19]

If Salinas plays like they did last week with turnovers and bad penalties, Los Gatos could pull an upset. I think l;ast week's close game with Paly will get the Salinas team ready for this week. Salinas pass defense this year seems to have improved as the season has progressed and they are decent against the run. I think it will be closer. Salinas +7

OPEN II PLAYOFFS
St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) (3) at Aragon (San Mateo, CA) (6), 7:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) 27-17]

If Aragon can limit Lancer's Page, this might be a lot closer. Aragon has a balanced offense but will be going against a physical SF defense. Will be a good test of the strength of the PAL Bay versus WCAL. SF +7 (but I could see upset potential)

OPEN III PLAYOFFS
Live Oak (Morgan Hill, CA) (23) at Half Moon Bay (CA) (5) , 7:00pm [projection: Half Moon Bay (CA) 44-13]

HMB is big favorite but Live Oak ball controll could limit the scoring,. Still think HMB by +14

Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) (11) vs. Palma (Salinas, CA) (16) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm [projection: Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) 26-24]

This game depends on defense. Two of the sections top players. TN's QB Nathan Gordon and Pama soph RB Anthony Villegas. St Francis and Menlo Atherton contained Villegas early in the season, but he is playing in a much more aggressive fashion. Both teams have balance on offense. Palma is a young team and will give advantage to Terra Nova in Salinas, however this could end up an upset. I would think the spread would be higher in TNs favor. Defense and turnovers will be the determinant factor. Pick TN by +7, but could have an upset.

IV PLAYOFFS
Santa Clara (CA) (39) at Leland (San Jose, CA) (22), 7:00pm [projection: Leland (San Jose, CA) 38-21]

Last week was the tough matchup for Leland and should see them winning by +10.

V PLAYOFFS
Hillsdale (San Mateo, CA) (20) at Gilroy (CA) (14), 7:00pm [projection: Hillsdale (San Mateo, CA) 27-22]

This one I will take an upset and Gilroy's offense to pull out a win. Gilroy +7

Saturday, November 25th

OPEN II PLAYOFFS
Valley Christian (San Jose, CA) (4) at Serra (San Mateo, CA) (1), 1:00pm [projection: Serra [Junipero] (San Mateo, CA) 35-21]

Serra by +10 if they don't go into conservative mode on offense. Serra should still defeat VC even with injury to Malfi. You stop VC's Bostic and they have a tough time on offense.

IV PLAYOFFS
Alisal (Salinas, CA) (33) at Christopher (Gilroy, CA) (22), 1:00pm [projection: Christopher (Gilroy, CA) 28-20]

Christopher +7, but Alisal has heart and could win by upset.

V PLAYOFFS
Scotts Valley (CA) (34) at Menlo (Atherton, CA) (15), 1:00pm [projection: Menlo (Atherton, CA) 28-10]

Menlo +7

Question for PALbooster on who goes to bowls in following scenarios:
If Los Gatos upsets Salinas (would make LG 6-6 in in D1 Open fiinals), would a 6-6 Terra Nova go over Los Gatos if they win over Palma and make finals in D3 open?: Los Gatos would have win over Salinas as well in common opponents (Terra Nova defeated Salinas early in season). Terra Nova may have slightly better SOS as far as wins over Aptos and Burlingame.

It seems Palma would be out if it makes finas with a win over Terra Nova due to losing to Salinas while Los Gatos would have a win against common opponent. Palma also defeated San Benito which dominated Los Gatos early in season. Palma's record would be 8-5 if they defeat Terra Nova and may have slightly higher SoS in its wins (Menlo). In common opponents LG and Palma would both be 1-1, but a Salinas win by Los Gatos I think might put LG in the regional game. Not sure how CCS would decide this due to the strength of Salinas even though Los Gatos record would be 6-6? Any thoughts?

Of course these all would have to have to assume an LG upset. It seems Terra Nova would be in and not sure about Palma.

It seems the two finalists in the D2 Open playoff are automatically in a regional, but an upset of Salinas would change whether D1 or D3 has two move on to bowl. I'm assuming HMB wins against Live Oak which would be a bigger upset and Milpitas defeats Menlo Athertonn.

It looks like a Menlo Atherton upset of Milpitas would put them in over both Terra Nova and Palma with wins over both.

Question for PALbooster on who goes to bowls in following scenarios:
If Los Gatos upsets Salinas (would make LG 6-6 in in D1 Open fiinals), would a 6-6 Terra Nova go over Los Gatos if they win over Palma and make finals in D3 open?: Los Gatos would have win over Salinas as well in common opponents (Terra Nova defeated Salinas early in season). Terra Nova may have slightly better SOS as far as wins over Aptos and Burlingame.

It seems Palma would be out if it makes finas with a win over Terra Nova due to losing to Salinas while Los Gatos would have a win against common opponent. Palma also defeated San Benito which dominated Los Gatos early in season. Palma's record would be 8-5 if they defeat Terra Nova and may have slightly higher SoS in its wins (Menlo). In common opponents LG and Palma would both be 1-1, but a Salinas win by Los Gatos I think might put LG in the regional game. Not sure how CCS would decide this due to the strength of Salinas even though Los Gatos record would be 6-6? Any thoughts?

Of course these all would have to have to assume an LG upset. It seems Terra Nova would be in and not sure about Palma.

It seems the two finalists in the D2 Open playoff are automatically in a regional, but an upset of Salinas would change whether D1 or D3 has two move on to bowl. I'm assuming HMB wins against Live Oak which would be a bigger upset and Milpitas defeats Menlo Athertonn.

It looks like a Menlo Atherton upset of Milpitas would put them in over both Terra Nova and Palma with wins over both.
My understanding is that the CCS take the three open division final losers and selects two of the three based on the following criteria:

1) head to head - this means all three teams must have played each other (A played B and B Played C and A played C) and one team went 2-0, one team went 1-1 and one team went 0-2. This is most likely in the event that all three teams come from eh same league (like MA, Aragon and HMB or Terra Nova). If only two of the teams played head to head but the third was not involved this criteria is not used. This precedent was set last year.

2) Common Opponent - just like head to head all three teams must have played the same opponent with a different result. I don't think any of there remaining DII teams played Salinas this year so the scenarios you list above would not come into play. I don't think there is a common opponent among three teams left in DI, DII, and DIII except a scenario where all three of these teams are PAL teams like above where they would also have relevant head to head games.

3) CCS Power points - I believe this is coming into the playoffs. I don't think that the CCS points are recalculated for the three play-off rounds where the losers all went 2-1 against A opponents but some teams may have played league champions while others did not. The ranking of the remaining 12 teams based on their points going into the play-offs is as follows:

1. Milpitas 31.5
2. Salinas 30.5
3. Serra 30
4. Half Moon Bay 29.5
5. Aragon 27.5
6. St. Francis 27
7. Valley Christian 26.5
8. Palma 23.5
9/10. Menlo Atherton 22.5
9/10. Live Oak 22.5
11. Los Gatos 22
12. Terra Nova 20

Based on this if Milpitas, Salinas or Serra win their semi-final game they are guaranteed a regional game spot. All other teams have potential scenarios where they do not make it. Likewise, Terra Nova is the only team that can not get into a regional game under any scenario if they lose in the CCS final.

CCS D1 Open Semifinal: Milpitas 33 Menlo Atherton 20 Final
Looks like Salinas and Milpitas both have regional bowl games. Should be a better game than last time Milpitas and Salinas faced each other.

Open I:

Milpitas over Menlo-Atherton 31-14
Salinas over Los Gatos 31-21

Open II:

Serra over Valley Christian 21-14
St. Francis
over Aragon 35-20

Open III:

Half Moon Bay over Live Oak 42-20
Terra Nova
over Palma 24-14

Division IV:

Leland over Santa Clara 35-21
Alisal over Christopher 24-20

Division V:

Gilroy over Hillsdale 42-21
Menlo over Scotts Valley 35-28
Open I:

Milpitas won 33-20

Salinas
over Los Gatos 31-21
Salinas won 43-23

Open II:

(Today)

St. Francis
over Aragon 35-20
St. Francis won 42-7

Open III:

Half Moon Bay won 52-17

Terra Nova
over Palma 24-14
Terra Nova won 45-20

Division IV:

Leland won 52-20

Alisal
over Christopher 24-20
(Today)

Division V:

Gilroy won 34-14

Menlo
over Scotts Valley 35-28
(Today)

I went 7-0 last night.

Below are the Calpreps schedule and computer predictions for the CCS Semi-finals. Only 3 of the 10 games are projected to be within 10 points. I have added the CCS rankings for each team. The computer is blind to things like injuries and other factors that can influence these games.

OPEN I PLAYOFFS
FootballJunkie had Milpitas winning 31-14. Milpitas won 33-20. I had a 17 point spread/Calpreps had a 18 point spread. Milpitas won by 13 points. FJ+1
FootballJunkie had Salinas winning 31-21. Salinas won 43-23. I had a 10 point spread/Calpreps had a 12 point spread. Salinas won by 20 points. CP+1

OPEN II PLAYOFFS
St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) (3) at Aragon (San Mateo, CA) (6), 7:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) 27-17]FootballJunkie had St. Francis winning 35-20. St. Francis won 42-7. I had a 15 point spread/Calpreps had a 10 point spread. St. Francis won by 35 points. FJ+2

OPEN III PLAYOFFS
Live Oak (Morgan Hill, CA) (23) at Half Moon Bay (CA) (5) , 7:00pm [projection: Half Moon Bay (CA) 44-13]FootballJunkie had Half Moon Bay winning 42-20. Half Moon Bay won 52-17. I had a 22 point spread/Calpreps had a 29 point spread. Half Moon Bay won by 36 points. CP+2

Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) (11) vs. Palma (Salinas, CA) (16) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm [projection: Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) 26-24]FootballJunkie had Terra Nova winning 24-14. Terra Nova won 45-20. I had a 10 point spread/Calpreps had a 2 point spread. Terra Nova won by 25 points. FJ+3

IV PLAYOFFS
Santa Clara (CA) (39) at Leland (San Jose, CA) (22), 7:00pm [projection: Leland (San Jose, CA) 38-21]FootballJunkie had Leland winning 35-21. Leland won 52-20. I had a 14 point spread/Calpreps had a 17 point spread. Leland won by 32 points. CP+3

V PLAYOFFS
Hillsdale (San Mateo, CA) (20) at Gilroy (CA) (14), 7:00pm [projection: Hillsdale (San Mateo, CA) 27-22]FootballJunkie had Gilroy winning 42-21. Gilroy won 34-14. I had a 21 point spread/Calpreps had a 5 point spread. Gilroy won by 20 points. FJ+4

On Friday FJ+4/CP+3

Saturday, November 25th

OPEN II PLAYOFFS
Valley Christian (San Jose, CA) (4) at Serra (San Mateo, CA) (1), 1:00pm [projection: Serra [Junipero] (San Mateo, CA) 35-21]FootballJunkie had Serra winning 21-14. Serra won 31-14. I had a 7 point spread/Calpreps had a 14 point spread. Serra won by 17 points. CP+4

IV PLAYOFFS

V PLAYOFFS
Scotts Valley (CA) (34) at Menlo (Atherton, CA) (15), 1:00pm [projection: Menlo (Atherton, CA) 28-10]FootballJunkie had Menlo winning 35-28. Menlo won 26-21. I had a 7 point spread/Calpreps had a 18 point spread. Menlo won by 5 points. FJ+5

On Saturday FJ+1 CP+1

Last edited:
Based on Friday nights games 5 of the six CCS finalists are set (Serra vs VC is today).

Milpitas and Salinas will both go to the regionals (unless CCS elects to change the interpretation of their rules on head to head tiebreakers) as the loser will have the most power points of any losing team and there will be no head to head or common opponent tiebreakers that are applicable to all three teams in consideration.

Serra goes to the regionals with a win today over VC regardless of their outcome vs St. Francis in the final.

St. Francis goes to regionals with either a win vs either Serra or VC in the final or a HMB win over Terra Nova

HMB goes to regionals with a win in the CCS finals or a Serra win in the CCS finals or a Serra loss today against VC

Valley Christian goes to regionals if they beat Serra and St. Francis or if they beat Serra and then HMB wins CCS title.

Terra Nova only goes to regionals is they beat HMB in CCS finals. They have the lowest number of power points among remaining teams and despite a win over Salinas they can't win a three way tiebreaker on head to head or common opponent.

The order of teams in case of a loss in CCS finals would be as follows:

1. Milpitas
2. Salinas
3. Serra
4. Half Moon Bay
5. St. Francis
6. Valley Christian
7. Terra Nova

Open I:

Milpitas won 33-20

Salinas
over Los Gatos 31-21
Salinas won 43-23

Open II:

(Today)

St. Francis
over Aragon 35-20
St. Francis won 42-7

Open III:

Half Moon Bay won 52-17

Terra Nova
over Palma 24-14
Terra Nova won 45-20

Division IV:

Leland won 52-20

Alisal
over Christopher 24-20
(Today)

Division V:

Gilroy won 34-14

Menlo
over Scotts Valley 35-28
(Today)

I went 7-0 last night.
I went to watch my dark horse MA play Milpitas last night. MA outplayed them but had a couple of bad breaks. The brawl at the end of the game was uncalled for and very distasteful to say the least. Even on my way out there were a couple fights in the parking lot between spectators. One guy had his foot run over and I saw a woman pull what looked like a machete out her trunk. Passionate fans I guess. I think Salinas can pull off the upset if they are clicking on all cylinders. Good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Good to know that pulling out a machete represents "passion." Would hate to be near her during a hectic discount day at Best Buy.

I went to watch my dark horse MA play Milpitas last night. MA outplayed them but had a couple of bad breaks. The brawl at the end of the game was uncalled for and very distasteful to say the least. Even on my way out there were a couple fights in the parking lot between spectators. One guy had his foot run over and I saw a woman pull what looked like a machete out her trunk. Passionate fans I guess. I think Salinas can pull off the upset if they are clicking on all cylinders. Good luck to both teams.
Was the fight involving any players? Was it after the final play?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT