ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Play-off Projections After Week 10 - Final going into Sunday meeting

A good source, and after I posted on here I was contacted directly by Carmel High School person from the school controlled Twitter account who read and quoted my above pos and communicated to me Quote: "We love listening to you just make things up."

I communicated back I did not make this up and I did not. So either the person doesn't know or maybe HC is reconsidering. I will tell you I did not make it up By "pushing" I meant there was positive conversations of opinion on why they should they should opt up. Not literally that there were people hammering the coach. Just that in a friendly manner it would be great if they did. Push was the word given to me but I didn't take it as a negative. I also conveyed that I hope they would opt and that I think they could compete in the bracket and they wouldn't be overwhelmed and would have a shot. I also noted that they should if the players want to and that it would be a great experience and also that they will be playing in the Gab anyways and would be experience for next season. It seems I hit a sour cord because it isn't finalized as far as there is time to still opt up..

In any event, they very well may opt up in the end. Not sure if it notification needs to be in already (I have to read playoff opting up clause) or if they still have time. However, I did not make it up and frankly never make up stuff. I hope they do. I am clear when it is speculation. Maybe they are waiting for when the season is over and/or where they might be seeded (speculations), but I can tell you I didn't make it up.
Someone else said the opt-up decision won't be officially cast until Sunday, the 4th. I'm guessing if the Padres come out of the Shoe Game intact injury-wise and running on all cylinders, Golden may surprise some people and opt up. We'll see...

Reactions: aztecpadre
Al
Soledad beat Alisal? Is that the same Alisal that was leading Carmel at the half last week?

Just asking for a friend.
alisal missed a game winning field goal at the end of the game. Lol I guess the mission division isn’t as strong as they were supposed to be. A 3-7 B league team shouldn’t be allowed to make the playoffs. They have what like about 14 points ?

Soledad beat Alisal? Is that the same Alisal that was leading Carmel at the half last week?

Just asking for a friend.

Yes Cal14, same Carmel team that crushed Soledad and beat the Gabilan champion Salinas cowboys.

I agree with 831 this team has no business being in the playoffs. But good for them for doing what they had to do in league to get in.

Yes Cal14, same Carmel team that crushed Soledad and beat the Gabilan champion Salinas cowboys.

I agree with 831 this team has no business being in the playoffs. But good for them for doing what they had to do in league to get in.
Following Cal’s logic, Carmel beat Salinas by a few scores, and Salinas beat both Palma and Aptos, so Carmel would have an easy walk through D3 Open given Palma and Aptos are two of the strongest teams in tbe bracket.

Why play the games? We have all these score relativities that already tell us Carmel is a few TD’s better given their win over Salinas?

Al

alisal missed a game winning field goal at the end of the game. Lol I guess the mission division isn’t as strong as they were supposed to be. A 3-7 B league team shouldn’t be allowed to make the playoffs. They have what like about 14 points ?

I think it was the late 90s or early 00s, there was a team in the SS that made it to the playoffs with a 1-9 record. In the SS, they have a ton of automatic bids and this league had four. This team won their last game of the year which forced a 3-way tie for fourth, then won a coin toss!

I think it was the late 90s or early 00s, there was a team in the SS that made it to the playoffs with a 1-9 record. In the SS, they have a ton of automatic bids and this league had four. This team won their last game of the year which forced a 3-way tie for fourth, then won a coin toss!

After Friday night’s action the only intrigue left for Saturday is the winner of Bellarmine vs Saint Ignatius will take the last CCS at-large play-off spot and the winner of the St. Francis vs Serra game will determine the WCAL league championship.

Last nights action saw Lincoln end up as the sole league champion of the Mt. Hamilton which I believe is their first A league championship season and Salinas grab a share of the Gabilan regular season championship with Palma based their win over Aptos.

A Bellarmine win would put them into DI as an 8 seed and everyone else would move up a seed and move Wilcox would become a 1 seed in Division II. Valley Christian would be pushed into Division III as a #3 seed and SI would be out.

A Serra win would leave DII alone except Serra would be a 3 seed, Oak Grove the 5 seed and Leland the 4 seed.

Carmel opting up would make Carmel the #3 seed in Division III. Push Pioneer into Division II as an 8 seed and move Aragon into the lower division IV play-offs. Carmel would play at home against either Terra Nova or Aptos.

CCS Projected Field

Division I

8. Piedmont Hills 4-6 19 vs. 1. Wilcox 10-0 32.33

5. San Benito 6-4 24 vs 4. Salinas 7-3 25.75

6. Los Gatos 6-4 22.33 vs 3. Menlo-Atherton 8-2 29

7. Milpitas 6-4 21.5 vs 2. Palo Alto 9-1 30

Smallest CBed – Wilcox 1969

Division II

8. Aragon 2-8 15 vs 1. St. Francis 9-1 31

5. Serra 6-4 22 vs 4. Leland 6-4 23

6. Mitty 5-5 21.5 vs 3. Oak Grove 6-4 23.5

7. Christopher 5-5 20 vs 2. Valley Christian 8-2 27.33

Smallest CBed – Valley Christian 1629

Division III

8. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 or Pioneer 4-6 18 vs 1. Palma 9-1 30.25

5. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 vs 4. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5

6. Sacred Heart Cathedral 5-5 21 vs 3. Live Oak 8-2 27

7. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 or Pioneer 4-6 18 vs 2. Sacred Heart Prep 9-1 28.33

Largest CBed – Pioneer 1619

For the lower divisions today’s action between King City and San Lorenzo Valley will determine the final spot in the field. A King City win and they are in. A King City loss will give Mountain View the final play-off spot.

If King City makes the field they go into D V as 5thor 6th seed (coin flip with Del Mar) and Saratoga would move into D IV as a #7 seed.

If Carmel opts up Aragon moves into D IV – with King City in the field – Saratoga would stay in D V. With Mt. View in the field Burlinga,e would move down to D V as the #2 seed.

Division IV

8. Soledad 3-7 15 vs 1. Independence 10-0 27

5. Carlmont 8-2 21.33 vs 4. Willow Glen 7-3 21.5

6. Santa Clara 6-4 19.83 vs 3. Overfelt 8-2 23.33

7. Mountain View 6-4 18.83 vs 2. Burlingame 8-2 25

Smallest CBed – Burlingame 1423

Division V

8. Mt. Pleasant 6-4 15 vs 1. Carmel 10-0 28

5. Saratoga 6-4 19.83 vs 4. 5 Gonzales 10-0 23

6. Del Mar 6-4 19.5 vs 3. Kings Academy 8-2 24

7. Monta Vista Christian 5-5 17 vs 2. Monterey 9-1 25.5

Highest CBed – Saratoga 1354

Last edited:
Reactions: RLS13
What would D3 look like of SI loses and Carmel Opts in? Would VC go back up and Pioneer stay in D3?
Yes - BCP in DI forces Wilcox into DII, Aragon is moved to DIV, VC stays in DII and Pioneer stays in DIII for SI's vacancy.

Last edited:

Beat me to it. I believe Carmel beat Soledad 56-0 or something like that. When they played Alisal, they were just not clicking in the first half. It happens. After all these are kids and sometimes it takes a bit to get it going. But, as we all know, they got it together in the second half and won going away. I'm glad for Soledad. Good win for them.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
Golden needs to sack up and opt up. I get the storyline of being a closed public school district and not having the numbers but cmon anyone who has seen Carmel play knows they are no joke. Will they win D3? Who knows but I definitely think they have a chance. I just dont see the point of staying down. If I'm a player, I would be all over Golden to opt up. You test your self against Salinas and win. Why not test yourself against Palma and Aptos if possible. I actually think Aptos is a very comparable program to Carmel. Aptos was a dropped INT away from beating Salinas last night.

Pal Booster,as always great job on your brackets and Predictions. Question for you you have Mitty at 6-4 when they actually finished at 5-5 . Does that change their point total and Seeding ?

After Friday night’s action the only intrigue left for Saturday is the winner of Bellarmine vs Saint Ignatius will take the last CCS at-large play-off spot and the winner of the St. Francis vs Serra game will determine the WCAL league championship.

Last nights action saw Lincoln end up as the sole league champion of the Mt. Hamilton which I believe is their first A league championship season and Salinas grab a share of the Gabilan regular season championship with Palma based their win over Aptos.

A Bellarmine win would put them into DI as an 8 seed and everyone else would move up a seed and move Wilcox would become a 1 seed in Division II. Valley Christian would be pushed into Division III as a #3 seed and SI would be out.

A Serra win would leave DII alone except Serra would be a 3 seed, Oak Grove the 4 seed and Leland the 5 seed.

Carmel opting up would make Carmel the #3 seed in Division III. Push Pioneer into Division II as an 8 seed and move Aragon into the lower division IV play-offs. Carmel would play at home against either Terra Nova or Aptos.

CCS Projected Field

Division I

5. San Benito 6-4 24 vs 4. Salinas 7-3 26.25

Division II

8. Aragon 2-8 15 vs 1. St. Francis 9-1 31.5

6. Mitty 6-4 21.5 vs 3. Oak Grove 6-4 23.5

Division III

5. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 vs 4. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5

For the lower divisions today’s action between King City and San Lorenzo Valley will determine the final spot in the field. A King City win and they are in. A King City loss will give Mountain View the final play-off spot.

If King City makes the field they go into D V as 5thor 6th seed (coin flip with Del Mar) and Saratoga would move into D IV as a #7 seed.

If Carmel opts up Aragon moves into D IV – with King City in the field – Saratoga would stay in D V. With Mt. View in the field Burlinga,e would move down to D V as the #1 seed.

Division IV

8. Soledad 3-7 15 vs 1. Independence 10-0 28

7. Mountain View 6-4 18.83 vs 2. Burlingame 8-2 26

Division V

8. Mt. Pleasant 6-4 15.5 vs 1. Carmel 10-0 27.5

7. Monta Vista Christian 5-5 17.5 vs 2. Monterey 9-1 25.5

Pal Booster,as always great job on your brackets and Predictions. Question for you you have Mitty at 6-4 when they actually finished at 5-5 . Does that change their point total and Seeding?

Beat me to it. I believe Carmel beat Soledad 56-0 or something like that. When they played Alisal, they were just not clicking in the first half. It happens. After all these are kids and sometimes it takes a bit to get it going. But, as we all know, they got it together in the second half and won going away. I'm glad for Soledad. Good win for them.
I don’t think it would have changed much but when Soledad played Carmel their starting QB was in Mexico. The first quarter of that game Soledads defense was holding up but the 3 and outs and short field position for Carmel took its toll fast.

Pal Booster,as always great job on your brackets and Predictions. Question for you you have Mitty at 6-4 when they actually finished at 5-5 . Does that change their point total and Seeding?
Mitty is 5-5 with 21.5 points - so I have them seeded correctly

Golden needs to sack up and opt up. I get the storyline of being a closed public school district and not having the numbers but cmon anyone who has seen Carmel play knows they are no joke. Will they win D3? Who knows but I definitely think they have a chance. I just dont see the point of staying down. If I'm a player, I would be all over Golden to opt up. You test your self against Salinas and win. Why not test yourself against Palma and Aptos if possible. I actually think Aptos is a very comparable program to Carmel. Aptos was a dropped INT away from beating Salinas last night.
Bingo.

Reactions: jordan24

We will all know on Sunday at the league meeting. That's when teams can declare to move up or not. Coach Anderson knows what he has and there is little doubt in my mind, Carmel would represent Monterey County very well in D3 Open.

I know two years ago when Covassay Windham was a Sr. The word was they were considered opting up, until he suffered a season ending injury in game 9. That team wasn’t nearly as talented or deep on both sides of the ball as this year’s squad, so I can’t believe Golden has already ruled out opting up.

I know everyone here other than Cal 14, who can’t afford to see Carmel opt up and maybe even win a game or two, wants to see them in DIII. They belong there.

A Serra win would leave DII alone except Serra would be a 3 seed, Oak Grove the 5 seed and Leland the 4 seed.

CCS Projected Field

Division I

Division II

8. Aragon 2-8 15 vs 1. St. Francis 9-1 31

Division III

If Carmel opts up Aragon moves into D IV – with King City in the field – Saratoga would stay in D V. With Mt. View in the field Burlinga,e would move down to D V as the #2 seed.

Division IV

8. Soledad 3-7 15 vs 1. Independence 10-0 27

7. Mountain View 6-4 18.83 vs 2. Burlingame 8-2 25

Division V

8. Mt. Pleasant 6-4 15 vs 1. Carmel 10-0 28

7. Monta Vista Christian 5-5 17 vs 2. Monterey 9-1 25.5

If Carmel opts up does Aptos move up to CCS D2 Open? What happens to seedings in D3 Open? Lookslike Carmel would be seeded 3 and Live Oak #4 . Terra #5. If Aptos not moved up, Terra or Aptos would move into other bracket it seems?

If Carmel opts up does Aptos move up to CCS D2 Open? What happens to seedings in D3 Open? Lookslike Carmel would be seeded 3 and Live Oak #4 . Terra #5. If Aptos not moved up, Terra or Aptos would move into other bracket it seems?

Pioneer would move up.

We will all know on Sunday at the league meeting. That's when teams can declare to move up or not. Coach Anderson knows what he has and there is little doubt in my mind, Carmel would represent Monterey County very well in D3 Open.

Like I said I dont see why they would not opt up. If he knows what he has, they will opt up. I just dont see the point in staying down when you have a team that can compete. There is no juggernaut in D3 this year.

If I understand if Carmel opts up

Division III

8. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 vs 1. Palma 9-1 30.25

5. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 (not sure how seeding will hash out one will be seeded 5 or 6) vs 4. Live Oak 8-2 27

6. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 (not sure how seeding will hash out one will be seeded 5 or 6) vs 3. Carmel 10-0 28

7. Sacred Heart Cathedral 5-5 21 vs 2. Sacred Heart Prep 9-1 28.33

Pioneer moves up to CCS D2 Open bowl and in place of Aragon. Terra Nova and Aptos seedings of which is 5 or 6 I am not sure who it will be but both play away at Palma or Carmel depending on seeding.

Last edited:
If Carmel opts up if my calculations are right -

Division III

8. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 / Pioneer 4-6 18 (one is out of open playoffs) vs 1. Palma 9-1 30.25

5. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 (not sure how seeding will hash out one will be seeded 5 or 6) vs 4. Live Oak 8-2 27

6. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 (not sure how seeding will hash out one will be seeded 5 or 6) vs 3. Carmel 10-0 28

7. Sacred Heart Cathedral 5-5 21 vs 2. Sacred Heart Prep 9-1 28.33

Either St Ignatius or Pioneer would be out and move down to non-bowl eligible division. Terra Nova and Aptos seedings of which is 5 or 6 I am not sure who it will be. Maybe just come down to travel? Not sure.
The way it works is that Carmel would bump down the lowest team among all the A divisions (I, II and III) to the lower division play-offs. Given the numbers this year it would be Aragon that would move down - Pioneer as the school with the largest CBed would then be bumped up to DII. The net effect would be the seedings you have above with SI as the #8 seed, SHC as the #7, a coin flip for #5 and #6 between Terra Nova and Aptos as they didn't play head to head and they both beat Aragon and San Benito who were common opponents.

The way it works is that Carmel would bump down the lowest team among all the A divisions (I, II and III) to the lower division play-offs. Given the numbers this year it would be Aragon that would move down - Pioneer as the school with the largest CBed would then be bumped up to DII. The net effect would be the seedings you have above with SI as the #8 seed, SHC as the #7, a coin flip for #5 and #6 between Terra Nova and Aptos as they didn't play head to head and they both beat Aragon and San Benito who were common opponents.
Very interesting. Thanks for the clarification. You are the best at figuring this out!

Like I said I dont see why they would not opt up. If he knows what he has, they will opt up. I just dont see the point in staying down when you have a team that can compete. There is no juggernaut in D3 this year.

I hear someone or some still trying to convince to opt up. I know the school will come back again and say I made this up, but I am stating a fact. He may or may not be convinced to opt up.

At this point this should be the field. I have included a projected field if Carmel opts up. I don't see any other B league champion (Monterey, Burlingame, Independence or Santa Clara) opting up. Final Cal Preps CCS Section ranking in parentheses.

CCS Projected Field
Division I
8. Piedmont Hills 4-6 19 (38) at 1. Wilcox 10-0 32.33 (2)
5. San Benito 6-4 24 (18) at 4. Salinas 7-3 25.75 (10)
6. Los Gatos 6-4 22.33 (22) at 3. Menlo-Atherton 8-2 29 (5)
7. Milpitas 6-4 21.5 (27) at 2. Palo Alto 9-1 30 (6)

Division II
8. Aragon 2-8 15 (31) at 1. St. Francis 9-1 31 (1)
5. Serra 6-4 22 (4) at 4. Leland 6-4 23 (34)
6. Mitty 5-5 21.5 (12) at 3. Oak Grove 6-4 23.5 (24)
7. Christopher 5-5 20 (29) at 2. Valley Christian 8-2 27.33 (3)

Division III
8. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 (14) or Pioneer 4-6 18 (46) at 1. Palma 9-1 30.25 (7)
5. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5 (13)/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 (8) at 4. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5 (13)/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 (8)
6. Sacred Heart Cathedral 5-5 21 (16) at 3. Live Oak 8-2 27 (17)
7. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 (14) or Pioneer 4-6 18 (46) at 2. Sacred Heart Prep 9-1 28.33 (11)

Division IV
8. Soledad 3-7 15 (47) at 1. Independence 10-0 27 (15)
5. Carlmont 8-2 21.33 (28) at 4. Willow Glen 7-3 21.5 (35)
6. Santa Clara 6-4 19.83 (59) at 3. Overfelt 8-2 23.33 (25)
7. Mountain View 6-4 18.83 (58) at 2. Burlingame 8-2 25 (20)

Division V
8. Mt. Pleasant 6-4 15 (75) at 1. Carmel 10-0 28 (9)
5. Saratoga 6-4 19.83 (55) at 4. 5 Gonzales 10-0 23 (32)
6. Del Mar 6-4 19.5 (41) at 3. Kings Academy 8-2 24 (19)
7. Monte Vista Christian 5-5 17 (33) at 2. Monterey 9-1 25.5 (23)

CCS Projected Field - if Carmel opts up

Division I
7. Milpitas 6-4 21.5 at 2. Palo Alto 9-1 30

Division II
8. Pioneer 4-6 18 vs 1. St. Francis 9-1 31

Division III
8. Saint Ignatius 3-7 18 vs 1. Palma 9-1 30.25
5. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 vs 4. Live Oak 8-2 27
6. Terra Nova 8-2 25.5/ Aptos 8-2 25.5 vs 3.Carmel 10-0 28
7. Sacred Heart Cathedral 5-5 21vs 2. Sacred Heart Prep 9-1 28.33

Division IV
8. Soledad 3-7 14.5 vs 1. Independence 10-0 27
5. Santa Clara 6-4 19.83 vs 4. Carlmont 8-2 21.33
6. Mountain View 6-4 18.83 vs 3. Willow Glen 7-3 21.5
7. Aragon 2-8 15 vs 2.Overfelt 8-2 23.33

Division V
8. Mt. Pleasant 6-4 15 vs 1. Monterey 9-1 25.5
7. Monta Vista Christian 5-5 17 vs 2.Burlingame 8-2 25

Last edited:
Reactions: 831ccschamp
Rumor is MVC is contemplating opting up, possibly preparing for the future? I thought you have to win the B league to be eligible. Can someone clarify?

Rumor is MVC is contemplating opting up, possibly preparing for the future? I thought you have to win the B league to be eligible. Can someone clarify?
That’s awesome if that’s true. Gotta give props to any coach who wants to play the best competition and has belief in his team!

MVC would displace Aragon if Carmel doesn't opt up I believe. Pioneer would be forced up to #8 seed taking Aragon position in D2 Open. MVC which is smaller and has more points than Aragon be placed at #8 in D3 Open. Aragon would move to non-bowl eligible division. MVC would have opening game against Palma.

If Carmel Opts up, Pioneer would be forced up to #8 on D2 Open and Carmel would be seeded #3 in D3 Open. MVC and Aragon would be in non-bowl playoff division.

MVC cannot opt up, only B League Champs can:

Section 3. TOURNAMENT FORMAT
A. 40 teams will be divided into an Open Division with three (3) eight team brackets and two (2) non-Open divisions of eight (8) teams.
B. Division placement will occur as follows:
1. "Open" Division:
a. The Open Division of the CCS will be comprised of twenty-four (24) teams from A leagues and will be placed in three (3) eight-team brackets, as determined by order of enrollment (largest to smallest), utilizing the previous school year's Grade 9-12 CBEDS enrollment figures.
(1) Each of the five (5) A leagues will receive four (4) automatic berths into the Open Division.
(2) The remaining four (4) berths will be filled by entering, from the remaining A league teams entered into that years’ CCS Football Playoffs, the A league teams with the highest CCS Point totals as calculated in accordance with Section 5 herein.
(3) B league champions may opt up to the Open Division if their CCS point total is more than the A league team with the lowest CCS point total is entered in the tournament.
(4) Any A league team displaced from the Open Division by a B league champion will be placed in a non-Open division based on their enrollment.

Last edited:
PAL Booster - another outstanding job this year.

I have Monterey with 25 points.
North (Bakersfield) 6-4 Season Record = 2 win + 0.5 for 6-4 record = 2.5 points
Seaside = 2 win + 1 for being A League = 3 points
Sobrato = 2 win = 2 points
N. Salinas = 0.5 being a B League = 0.5 points
6 wins in League = 12 + 3 points for (6) B league opponents + B League Champs 2 = 17 points

MVC cannot opt up, only B League Champs can:

Section 3. TOURNAMENT FORMAT
A. 40 teams will be divided into an Open Division with three (3) eight team brackets and two (2) non-Open divisions of eight (8) teams.
B. Division placement will occur as follows:
1. "Open" Division:
a. The Open Division of the CCS will be comprised of twenty-four (24) teams from A leagues and will be placed in three (3) eight-team brackets, as determined by order of enrollment (largest to smallest), utilizing the previous school year's Grade 9-12 CBEDS enrollment figures.
(1) Each of the five (5) A leagues will receive four (4) automatic berths into the Open Division.
(2) The remaining four (4) berths will be filled by entering, from the remaining A league teams entered into that years’ CCS Football Playoffs, the A league teams with the highest CCS Point totals as calculated in accordance with Section 5 herein.
(3) B league champions may opt up to the Open Division if their CCS point total is more than the A league team with the lowest CCS point total is entered in the tournament.
(4) Any A league team displaced from the Open Division by a B league champion will be placed in a non-Open division based on their enrollment.
Bummer, that would of been a bigger story than SLV bugging opponents locker rooms and using the Gambino family to shakedown opposing QB’s pre game.

Reactions: RLS13 and FBAddict
PAL Booster - another outstanding job this year.

I have Monterey with 25 points.
North (Bakersfield) 6-4 Season Record = 2 win + 0.5 for 6-4 record = 2.5 points
Seaside = 2 win + 1 for being A League = 3 points
Sobrato = 2 win = 2 points
N. Salinas = 0.5 being a B League = 0.5 points
6 wins in League = 12 + 3 points for (6) B league opponents + B League Champs 2 = 17 points
North ended up being a league co-champion so Monterey should get 0.5 points for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT