ADVERTISEMENT

Clip of Riordan-Inderkum Brawl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, for some reason, the link isn't being posted. Send me a ping and i'll try to forward it.

I found a 30 second video clip on Twitter and it was ugly as f@ck! On a defensive rebound a Riordan player was literally mugged almost clotheslined by 2 Inderkum players then one of the Riordan players retaliated by pushing one of the offending Inderkum players in the back rather hard then all hell broke loose. The incident happened on the visiting end of the court so most of the Inderkum bench quickly emptied into the melee but the Riordan coaches did a good job and no one from the bench entered the fray until real late when one of the players came off the bench but didn't go farther than a little past half court. One of the Riordan players was knocked down and it looked like he was knocked unconscious as he laid motionless on the court until the end of the clip.

I don't see how they can make Riordan forfeit their next game given that Inderkum clearly instigated the incident and had no control over their bench as five or more players off the bench immediately entered the fray. Hopefully everyone is OK and got out of there and home safely. It's a rather congested tight area to get in and out of the gym so I hope none of this spilled over into the parking lots.

Reactions: remc and ayalar09
Obviously very chippy on that last possession and it looked like a Riordan player pushed an Inderkum player from behind that initiated the brawl. Am I seeing this right!

I found a 30 second video clip on Twitter and it was ugly as f@ck! On a defensive rebound a Riordan player was literally mugged almost clotheslined by 2 Inderkum players then one of the Riordan players retaliated by pushing one of the offending Inderkum players in the back rather hard then all hell broke loose. The incident happened on the visiting end of the court so most of the Inderkum bench quickly emptied into the melee but the Riordan coaches did a good job and no one from the bench entered the fray until real late when one of the players came off the bench but didn't go farther than a little past half court. One of the Riordan players was knocked down and it looked like he was knocked unconscious as he laid motionless on the court until the end of the clip.

I don't see how they can make Riordan forfeit their next game given that Inderkum clearly instigated the incident and had no control over their bench as five or more players off the bench immediately entered the fray. Hopefully everyone is OK and got out of there and home safely. It's a rather congested tight area to get in and out of the gym so I hope none of this spilled over into the parking lots.
I agree with you that I don’t see Riordan having to forfeit next game (based off what I saw on the video). Their coaches did a good job keeping their players on the bench, and even those who may have taken a few steps off, never even crossed half court. I disagree with your assessment stating “Inderkum clearly instigated the incident”. While Indy had fouled the Riordan player, it wasn’t nearly the ‘mugging’ you described, and the referee had merely called a standard foul on the play. While I understand I wasn’t privy to what transpired leading up to the posted video, from what I saw, sure looked like it was the Riordan player’s hard shove of an Indy player (from behind) that seemed to be the instigating action. my guess is that Riordan player may not being dressing next game…

my two cents.

I agree with you that I don’t see Riordan having to forfeit next game (based off what I saw on the video). Their coaches did a good job keeping their players on the bench, and even those who may have taken a few steps off, never even crossed half court. I disagree with your assessment stating “Inderkum clearly instigated the incident”. While Indy had fouled the Riordan player, it wasn’t nearly the ‘mugging’ you described, and the referee had merely called a standard foul on the play. While I understand I wasn’t privy to what transpired leading up to the posted video, from what I saw, sure looked like it was the Riordan player’s hard shove of an Indy player (from behind) that seemed to be the instigating action. my guess is that Riordan player may not being dressing next game…

my two cents.
That Riordan player was the one on the ground afterwards and had to be helped off. He probably suffered a severe concussion...

That Riordan player was the one on the ground afterwards and had to be helped off. He probably suffered a severe concussion...
Good catch - he probably wasn’t gonna be playing next game considering his actions - but he may be hurt anyhow

I was at the game. Riordan was controlling the game throughout with their tough man D. They held Inderkum to 17 first half points and held a double digit lest throughout most of the game. Inderkum clearly became frustrated and the game turned chippy in the final minutes. Refs lost control of this game. One ref was even yelling at the Inderkum coach re a call. The refs should have called an official’s timeout and told the teams a T would be called if there was any more chirping and cheap fouls. During the melee a kid with a black hoodie was throwing haymakers at anyone in purple and gold and Inderkum fans climbed over the railing and ontonthe floor. Sad scene

Last edited:

my two cents.
It was a hard foul to be sure, but not a “mugging”. It appears to be Wise that was fouled by the 2 Inderkum players, but he was calmly walking away from the play until the other Riordan player decided to act, then he joined the fracas. That player who wasn’t involved in the play (but was in the previous one) came over and shoved an Inderkum player hard from behind right in front of a ref.
Had the brawl not ensued, I’m pretty sure that Riordan player would have been not only T’d up, but ejected and probably suspended a game. I’m sure CIF officials will be reviewing the tape closely as well as talking to the officials and coaches before meeting out any punishment.
I wouldn’t be shocked if several Riordan players are suspended, but also wouldn’t be surprised if just the instigator/injured player is suspended, as the Riordan staff did such a good job keeping the bench away from the action. Hard to punish Inderkum when their season is already over, but I’m sure there will be some repercussions.

Hate to see young cats fighting on the court… Hope everyone is ok.

There was no reason for the Riordan guard (#12) to push the Inderkum player from behind. You’re up by 9 points with 1:15 left. Close out the game and move on to the next round.

Riordan plays a very physical style of defense and should be able to take what they dish out. #12 (Riordan) had no business pushing #5 (Indy), who appeared to be playing pressure defense.

There was nothing wrong with the aggressive play demonstrated by #2 (Indy), #4 (Riordan) and #5 (Indy). They were bumping and going for the ball. They separated and moved on from the foul without incident.

#12 was out of control and not cognizant of his surroundings. Young brothers know you got to talk with your game and not your hands. Especially when you are playing against kids that will mix it up with you. From what I saw, he started the whole mele and because of it #4 (Riordan), #21 (Riordan) could be suspended for the next game. As they both threw punches…

I’m glad that this game wasn’t in Sacramento. This could have gotten real ugly…

Riordan is not above reproach…

From what I saw, the Riordan player #12 instigated this dust up. Let your game do the talking not your hands. That aggressive push set things off.

We could also say that the Riordan coach had no control over his players. Up by 9 and your player renders a hard and unnecessary shove to a kid who was just playing hard d. That shove wasn’t a basketball play…

Reactions: Coach55Coach
20 years ago probably not a lot would be done in terms of penalties. CIF looks at this stuff so much closer now especially with all the violence in our society. (Montgomery HS just had a fatal stabbing this week). I think they come down very hard. If I’m a betting man Riordan season is over and Inderkum will be paying some price next year.

Reactions: ayalar09
I don’t think Riordan’s season will be over. Probably short handed due to injury or suspension but I agree that the riordan staff did a good job of keeping their bench mostly off the court

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Really unfortunate series of events last night. CIF will have to make a quick decision today. My guess is #12 will miss remainder of playoffs, along with the player that left their bench suspended one game. #0 on Indy will miss multiple games next season and Indy won’t host any section playoff games next year.

20 years ago probably not a lot would be done in terms of penalties. CIF looks at this stuff so much closer now especially with all the violence in our society. (Montgomery HS just had a fatal stabbing this week). I think they come down very hard. If I’m a betting man Riordan season is over and Inderkum will be paying some price next year.
IIRC, on the girls side Westmoor (Corey C days) and Leigh got into a dust up in CCS and CIF sat Westmoor's best player for at least a game. I want to say they suspended her for the remainder of the playoffs.

violence was worse in society 20 years ago. a fight would get you suspended 20 years ago and will today.

violence was worse in society 20 years ago. a fight would get you suspended 20 years ago and will today.
Cif has so many more rules for fighting, harassment, and sportsmanship today along with harsher penalties. Look at their bylaws now vs before. Add in social media, videos, and they will have to come down hard.
No winner in this one. Riordan coach did a great job of controlling bench. I hope other kids aren’t penalized.

I imagine that #12, 4, 21, 0 will probably get suspended.

#12 for Riordan was out of control and instigated the whole mele. The refs were letting him get away with a whole lot all game.

I was watching the stream the whole time yesterday. Let me give you the whole picture from my standpoint.

It was a physical game the whole way with both teams over the foul limit in the first half early. Second half is when it started already, the refs allow them to play a little bit. Then I saw a few questionable charges that looked like blocks, and a few other calls were inconsistent. In addition, the refs overturned a timeout from Riordan to prevent the 10 second call which Inderkum went wild with shot clock showing 24. As much as a great game with teams playing hard, Inderkum as not giving up with 4-5 minutes left. Inderkum decides to play the foul game to get steals, more possessions and hope Riordan misses some 1 and 1. Players were heckling towards players and to fans in the stands.

This is where I think the game was getting out of hand. The Refs would not call the obviously 1 -2 touches on the grab/fouls but would make the 3rd one where a harder foul was more obvious. I can see some players were talking and needed to be separated to their benches (2min mark). 12 was already talking and got subbed out. Refs should've called a double Tech somewhere along here. They didn't! Worse, they let this hackathon happen for another minute and also calling some touch fouls on Riordan which put Inderkum on the line. 2 on Riordan picked up his 5th which means 12 got subbed back in. After another series of free throws again, the 4th quarter was already dragged out and I was thinking, just let the time run out already. I'm guessing in this period of time, a total combined of 10-12 free throws, just imagine! Then next hack that is where the clips started. You can see that the Refs could've called early touch foul knowing they are fouling and to control the game but he let it play and waited for one where it was little over the edge that lead to players taking it a little more personal... I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Player’s attitude comes from parents.
I saw Inderkum earlier this year. Parents yelled at refs the whole game. Athletic director sat there right next to parents and said nothing. Maybe instead of just keeping students in line, administrations should start holding parents accountable. Refs can only do so much and shouldn’t have to do the administration’s job. Tired of people blaming refs for this instead of parents, coaches, and administrations.

Love hearing parent yell call a foul (on other team) then let them play (for their team).

Granada parents also are out of control.

CIF - instead of having announcer read your beginning statement which means nothing start doing something about this.

Inderkum was truly frustrated with Riordan’s defense. Definitely got chippy at the end. Refs should have told each coach a T would be called if there was more chirping and/or hard fouls.

The refs didn’t set a great tone for this game. The over aggressive defense and taunting should have not been allowed from the beginning. In games like this, where the kids are not highly skilled, you can’t just let them play…

I also fault Riordan for not taking better control of their basketball team and gymnasium. Their kids were doing a whole lot of trash talking and woofing, which doesn’t quite meet the standards of a parochial institution. That push was a clear sign of bullying and taunting.

The refs didn’t set a great tone for this game. The over aggressive defense and taunting should have not been allowed from the beginning. In games like this, where the kids are not highly skilled, you can’t just let them play…

I also fault Riordan for not taking better control of their basketball team and gymnasium. Their kids were doing a whole lot of trash talking and woofing, which doesn’t quite meet the standards of a parochial institution. That push was a clear sign of bullying and taunting.
Can we shift the conversation to what lies next?
Lots of fingers to point but now we have penalty phase.
I mean they didn’t even finish the game! Granada is sitting pretty no matter how you look at it. Either play against a diluted roster or get a forfeit win.

@BigMann08 Were you at the game? Riordan staff immediately tried to separate the teams and restore order . They even used chairs as a barrier. This is the first time I’ve ever seen this occur. Im hearing from others this is not the first time for Inderkum. The stands are separated from the floor by railing and is elevated. Yet the Inderkum fans came down on the floor. Everyone else incl Riordan’s families student body stayed put.

Reactions: blex20
It was a hard foul to be sure, but not a “mugging”. It appears to be Wise that was fouled by the 2 Inderkum players, but he was calmly walking away from the play until the other Riordan player decided to act, then he joined the fracas. That player who wasn’t involved in the play (but was in the previous one) came over and shoved an Inderkum player hard from behind right in front of a ref.
Had the brawl not ensued, I’m pretty sure that Riordan player would have been not only T’d up, but ejected and probably suspended a game. I’m sure CIF officials will be reviewing the tape closely as well as talking to the officials and coaches before meeting out any punishment.
I wouldn’t be shocked if several Riordan players are suspended, but also wouldn’t be surprised if just the instigator/injured player is suspended, as the Riordan staff did such a good job keeping the bench away from the action. Hard to punish Inderkum when their season is already over, but I’m sure there will be some repercussions.
Well stated; only comment is that it was Rencher (#4), not Wise (#22) who was fouled and then joined the ”festivities” once it started.

Reactions: observer22
I was watching the stream the whole time yesterday. Let me give you the whole picture from my standpoint.

It was a physical game the whole way with both teams over the foul limit in the first half early. Second half is when it started already, the refs allow them to play a little bit. Then I saw a few questionable charges that looked like blocks, and a few other calls were inconsistent. In addition, the refs overturned a timeout from Riordan to prevent the 10 second call which Inderkum went wild with shot clock showing 24. As much as a great game with teams playing hard, Inderkum as not giving up with 4-5 minutes left. Inderkum decides to play the foul game to get steals, more possessions and hope Riordan misses some 1 and 1. Players were heckling towards players and to fans in the stands.

This is where I think the game was getting out of hand. The Refs would not call the obviously 1 -2 touches on the grab/fouls but would make the 3rd one where a harder foul was more obvious. I can see some players were talking and needed to be separated to their benches (2min mark). 12 was already talking and got subbed out. Refs should've called a double Tech somewhere along here. They didn't! Worse, they let this hackathon happen for another minute and also calling some touch fouls on Riordan which put Inderkum on the line. 2 on Riordan picked up his 5th which means 12 got subbed back in. After another series of free throws again, the 4th quarter was already dragged out and I was thinking, just let the time run out already. I'm guessing in this period of time, a total combined of 10-12 free throws, just imagine! Then next hack that is where the clips started. You can see that the Refs could've called early touch foul knowing they are fouling and to control the game but he let it play and waited for one where it was little over the edge that lead to players taking it a little more personal... I hope this helps.
it didnt help. the player who took it personal was not even involved in the play.

@BigMann08 Were you at the game? Riordan staff immediately tried to separate the teams and restore order . They even used chairs as a barrier. This is the first time I’ve ever seen this occur. Im hearing from others this is not the first time for Inderkum. The stands are separated from the floor by railing and is elevated. Yet the Inderkum fans came down on the floor. Everyone else incl Riordan’s families student body stayed put.
I watched online but had a few people at the game.

People are saying that Riordan staff did a great job of defusing the situation. I argue that things should have never gotten this far out of hand. Riordan is a parochial school and should uphold a greater standard. All of the taunting and bickering from the players should not be tolerated.

#12 was out of control prior to the brawl. He should have remained out of the game. He might have messed up their playoff hopes.

Player’s attitude comes from parents.
I saw Inderkum earlier this year. Parents yelled at refs the whole game. Athletic director sat there right next to parents and said nothing. Maybe instead of just keeping students in line, administrations should start holding parents accountable. Refs can only do so much and shouldn’t have to do the administration’s job. Tired of people blaming refs for this instead of parents, coaches, and administrations.

Love hearing parent yell call a foul (on other team) then let them play (for their team).

Granada parents also are out of control.

CIF - instead of having announcer read your beginning statement which means nothing start doing something about this.
i wouldnt blame parents. my dad never said a word all game. i def had a lot to say all game. i played with anger, violence, and win at all cost. and i told the opponent about it all game.
and half the kids on my team didnt even know their parents and played like saints. lollll

Let them Play on. Riordan. It got chippy late and the entire Inndekum tram came off the bench. If a player from Riordan would be penalized it will be #12. But he wss blindsided and KOed. So he probably won't be able to play anyway.

ummmm these 2 teams are definitely 2 of the most skilled teams out there.

Let them Play on. Riordan. It got chippy late and the entire Inndekum tram came off the bench. If a player from Riordan would be penalized it will be #12. But he wss blindsided and KOed. So he probably won't be able to play anyway.
Rencher threw a punch too. He’s likely done….

I watched online but had a few people at the game.

People are saying that Riordan staff did a great job of defusing the situation. I argue that things should have never gotten this far out of hand. Riordan is a parochial school and should uphold a greater standard. All of the taunting and bickering from the players should not be tolerated.

#12 was out of control prior to the brawl. He should have remained out of the game. He might have messed up their playoff hopes.
lets be honest here. none of them basketball players are there for parochial reasons. if they couldnt dribble and shoot they would be going to lincoln or gateway.

Can we shift the conversation to what lies next?
Lots of fingers to point but now we have penalty phase.
I mean they didn’t even finish the game! Granada is sitting pretty no matter how you look at it. Either play against a diluted roster or get a forfeit win.
You’re welcome to shift the conversation. Lol I’m having a ton of conversations with people who were at the game, connected to both schools, refs, AD’s, etc.

But you are right penalty phase will be interesting. Hate to see Riordan not at full strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT