ADVERTISEMENT

Clip of Riordan-Inderkum Brawl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Inderkum is not exempt. Their behavior was unacceptable and embarrassing. Several people were blaming the brawl on Inderkum (excusing the behavior of #12) and praising Riordan’s staff for how they handle the situation. I saw this differently. So I offered a different perspective.

I hate to see young Brothers fighting one another…. Riordan is supposed to lead by example. Are they not supposed to represent Christ?
In history.....many atrocities were committed in the name of Christ, depending on who you worship...I'll just stop there!

I hear you...if 12 didn't push, this would not have happened....but the reaction was unacceptable and I have an issue with adults somehow justifying or mocking a young man being sent to the hospital, regardless of what he did.

A little background on me...

I attended SHC in the early 80's when the Holy Trinity were all powerhouses in hoops. I played Frosh ball because that was the peak of my talents but have always loved the game. My son attended SI and he also peaked out at frosh ball but picked up my love for the game. He lives in NYC and was in town on a business trip so we decided to check out our first WCAL team game in 6 years.

I am former military and taught self defense and one on one combat in the military for 15 years. I am 57 and can count on 1 hand the fights I have been in my entire life. I have walked away from many more fights than I can recall. Not because I was afraid, but because I knew what may happen if I put my hands on someone. Was #12 wrong for pushing an opposing player? Absolutely! If he got dropped by the kid he pushed I would not have said a peep. I do have an issue with a player coming off the bench and sucker punching a kid, which is what that was no matter how you slice it. And adults on here justifying it because of this and that is wrong and sets a bad example for young men that are at an impressionable age.

I will leave it at that.
Great résumé but nobody asked you for it but thank you for your service

According to the article, 2 players from Inderkum punched kids from behind.....Del Paso Heights representin' I guess..... is this what you mean by bout it? Hitting people from behind...if you're going to promote fighting at least do it the right way.... not this way
Come on man inderkum is in North Natomas not the Heights they’re White privilege kids who fortunately have black parents that are living in big homes and doing well. 😎

Come on man inderkum is in North Natomas not the Heights they’re White privilege kids who fortunately have black parents that are living in big homes and doing well. 😎
Well then that would explain the hostility and cheap shots

According to the article, 2 players from Inderkum punched kids from behind.....Del Paso Heights representin' I guess..... is this what you mean by bout it? Hitting people from behind...if you're going to promote fighting at least do it the right way.... not this way
if #12 didnt start a fight, we wouldnt be here. he learned the hard way.

i aint saying they was right, but i understand. this why i probably didnt get into bishop amat or mater dei as a high school kid.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
No, Inderkum is not exempt. Their behavior was unacceptable and embarrassing. Several people were blaming the brawl on Inderkum (excusing the behavior of #12) and praising Riordan’s staff for how they handle the situation. I saw this differently. So I offered a different perspective.

I hate to see young Brothers fighting one another…. Riordan is supposed to lead by example. Are they not supposed to represent Christ?
that is what is bothering me. all the praise (pun intended) for how the R handled it. as if Indy started this whole thing and acted like apes on bananas

you mean white moms and black dads. lollllllllllll
and you some of them supposed to be playing at Grant. but moved to NN away from the bloods

• Wow
Reactions: coachlittle
you mean white moms and black dads. lollllllllllll
and you some of them supposed to be playing at Grant. but moved to NN away from the bloods
No🤬, I don’t mean that not that I have a problem with white mothers and black fathers but there are very successful black men that love black queens

#12’s teammate didn’t need protection. He wasn’t harmed. He was on his way to the free throw line to shoot free throws. He saved a turnover from his hustle and was going to the free throw line.

From my pov: if #12 keeps his hands to himself, then there wouldn’t have been a brawl.

#0 from Inderkum was not being a Good Samaritan. There was no one else on the court to go after. The bully got bullied….

I agree with everything you are saying.

The level up on the violence robbed us all of a great ending.

9 point game with 1:20 left. Could have easily been 5 point game. With a Riordan tech and a bucket. Now the solid Inderkum seniors go out in the worst possible way.

I agree with everything you are saying.

The level up on the violence robbed us all of a great ending.

9 point game with 1:20 left. Could have easily been 5 point game. With a Riordan tech and a bucket. Now the solid Inderkum seniors go out in the worst possible way.
coaching... last year and this year that team was loaded and walk away with no hardware.
if those kids played a serra they would be world champs

Reactions: Scott2138
which players i cant read the article
The article does not list the ineligible players. Riordan's coach knows but was told not to disclose the names publicly. He did say they definitely won't have a full squad and will be short-handed tomorrow night.

I think declaring Riordan as the winner but letting Granada host the semi-finals is the fairest remedy to these unfortunate circumstances. I state this as an admittedly biased parent of a player who played basketball at Riordan his freshman & sophomore years but then transferred to another school in the East Bay. My son (and me to a much lesser degree) know #12 very well as my son used to work out with him quite often. This is totally out of character for this young man as I am sure for most if not all of the Inderkum players as I assume all were caught up in the moment. Lastly, #12s reaction to the events didn't just happen out of the blue so I disagree with those piling on the kid / young man as being solely or primarily responsible for the brawl.

From the sounds of it it appears the referees did a piss poor job of keeping control of the game so hopefully the CIF or whoever is responsible for the referees need to investigate that angle as well.

I just purchased our tickets (gofan.co) to tomorrow night's game in Livermore. I know Granada fans are passionate and will sell that gym out early so grab your tickets fast. Here's to good hoops to borrow a phrase.

I think declaring Riordan as the winner but letting Granada host the semi-finals is the fairest remedy to these unfortunate circumstances. I state this as an admittedly biased parent of a player who played basketball at Riordan his freshman & sophomore years but then transferred to another school in the East Bay. My son (and me to a much lesser degree) know #12 very well as my son used to work out with him quite often. This is totally out of character for this young man as I am sure for most if not all of the Inderkum players as I assume all were caught up in the moment. Lastly, #12s reaction to the events didn't just happen out of the blue so I disagree with those piling on the kid / young man as being solely or primarily responsible for the brawl.

From the sounds of it it appears the referees did a piss poor job of keeping control of the game so hopefully the CIF or whoever is responsible for the referees need to investigate that angle as well.

I just purchased our tickets (gofan.co) to tomorrow night's game in Livermore. I know Granada fans are passionate and will sell that gym out early so grab your tickets fast. Here's to good hoops to borrow a phrase.
blaming adults for a kids poor actions when those adults are not the parents of said kid. how do you control a kid who walks up and 2 hand shoves another player during a dead ball.

what would have happened if the score was tied or within 1?
tough hypothetical. you never know. maybe throughout the game trash talk got too personal. the stakes are high now. anything and everything you can get away with a player/coach will use. consider riordan fortunate CIF didnt kick them out of the tournament. optics are everything. im sure woodson being knocked out gave the decision makers a different way to look at it. the deck is stacked against riordan now. shorthanded, on the road, refs for next game are briefed to not let riordan get away with anything. all points to them losing tomorrow.

Does suspended mean in street clothes on the bench or does it mean staying at home playing video games?

I Have a Ph.D in Neuro-psychology and minored in journalism and based on my initial assessment from what I could gather from watching the videos. It seems that some of these kids could be coming from single - parent homes and maybe were never taught like we were growing up. When you see kids so eager to come off the bench to start swinging it could be a way of them to vent some of these pent-up emotions that these youth have had to keep inside growing up.

Also, the prevalence of "Highlight Culture" and "professional" players like that wanna-be tough guy Ja Morant help glorify the trash talk and disrespectful side of the game that these kids are looking up on Tick-Tock and Youtube. All I know is that if this happened back when I was on the court, things would have been a little different to say the least.

Last edited:
I Have a PHD in Neuro-psychology and minored in journalism and based on my initial assessment from what I could gather from watching the videos. It seems that some of these kids could be coming from single - parent homes and maybe were never taught like we were growing up. When you see kids so eager to come off the bench to start swinging it could be a way of them to vent some of these pent-up emotions that these youth have had to keep inside growing up.

Also, the prevalence of "Highlight Culture" and "professional" players like that wanna-be tough guy Ja Morant help glorify the trash talk and disrespectful side of the game that these kids are looking up on Tick-Tock and Youtube. All I know is that if this happened back when I was on the court, things would have been a little different to say the least.
Did NorCal preps hire a psychologist to diagnose and assess young Black youth? I’m getting Sir Francis Galton vibes. Are you gonna give us a lecture on eugenics?

• Haha
Reactions: bella123
I knew this thread could go in a lot of different directions but let’s try to keep it on basketball going forward. Inderkum is eliminated, Riordan advances but will be down what I assume will be at least one player and now has to go on the road to play Granada.

I Have a Ph.D in Neuro-psychology and minored in journalism and based on my initial assessment from what I could gather from watching the videos. It seems that some of these kids could be coming from single - parent homes and maybe were never taught like we were growing up. When you see kids so eager to come off the bench to start swinging it could be a way of them to vent some of these pent-up emotions that these youth have had to keep inside growing up.

MV5BYWE3ZDFjOGMtNGU2MC00ZGEyLTg1NjctNDVjZWRkYmEwYWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTU2NDQ3NjU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I knew this thread could go in a lot of different directions but let’s try to keep it on basketball going forward. Inderkum is eliminated, Riordan advances but will be down what I assume will be at least one player and now has to go on the road to play Granada.
And if they win will go on the road yet again despite being the highest seed standing. Punishment for Riordan was the ability lo tybto host any more playoff games

There are bad kids at both Catholic and public. As an SH alum, all those really bad kids usually got expelled or left the school by end of sophomore year. Junior and senior years we just have the funny knuckleheads that were not trouble at all. At publics youre pretty much stuck with them or maybe they dont even go to the school and are out on the streets up to no good. We're just talking about student body though. If youre good enough to be on a sports team, you do have some semblance of wanting to be taught, told what to do, stay out of trouble.

This was kids just letting their uncontrollable emotions get the best of them. 16, 17 year olds are still immature and are just raging hormones that mostly act before taking a step back and assessing the situation.
At the same time, the SF holy trinity talks enough trash amongst each other for decades...I do expect more from Riordan, they should be use to it and ignored the trash talk. I have never seen a fight in basketball within the WCAL. Every team member pretty much knows if you get in a fight there will be serious consequences.

Cute alias

And if they win will go on the road yet again despite being the highest seed standing. Punishment for Riordan was the ability lo tybto host any more playoff games
Do you know Do the “kids” get to attend the game in person on the bench in street clothes? Or are they banned from the gym? And is it one game only?
Either way Granada has a major advantage and quite frankly I think they would have won regardless.

Reactions: Prepog
Do you know Do the “kids” get to attend the game in person on the bench in street clothes? Or are they banned from the gym? And is it one game only?
Either way Granada has a major advantage and quite frankly I think they would have won regardless.
Pondo last year, Folsom this year. Campo and Inderkum over Riordan. The @larry legend33 curse! Lol.
Definitely a major advantage for Granada tonight, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT