ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Quarterfinal Games

Great win for Logan!!
What is going on at Logan!
Shot selection is very poor. One on one.
THey have great athletes and a phenomenal team.
It is hard to watch their shot selection and the behavior of their players.
I have seen this happen at some of their other games but I think the other teams were egging them on and had poor behavior.
MV was a class act and did nothing to entice this behavior.
#0 is a great player but to go into the opponents huddle and talk the entire game is embarrassing.

Great win for Logan!!
What is going on at Logan!
Shot selection is very poor. One on one.
THey have great athletes and a phenomenal team.
It is hard to watch their shot selection and the behavior of their players.
I have seen this happen at some of their other games but I think the other teams were egging them on and had poor behavior.
MV was a class act and did nothing to entice this behavior.
#0 is a great player but to go into the opponents huddle and talk the entire game is embarrassing.
Seen the same thing, but it must be ok with the coaches since they didn’t exactly look like they were too concerned about the players behavior especially #0. Most coaches wouldn’t tolerate it and would’ve pulled him. Maybe it’s all about that W though.

The logan coach should be embarrassed for the way he allows his players to act. Great team and great players but man... they deserve to get punked by Dublin next round. Hard team to root for if you don't have a kid on the team. Was mind blown at the disrespect they showed out there.

Reactions: Openlooks
The logan coach should be embarrassed for the way he allows his players to act. Great team and great players but man... they deserve to get punked by Dublin next round. Hard team to root for if you don't have a kid on the team. Was mind blown at the disrespect they showed out there.
Logan is the BEST worst coached team that’s still playing. Talented, but so undisciplined and run nothing offensively except for your occasional high pick and roll. Surprised last night that those refs bit and called all those fouls on MV when Logan shot 3’s while flopping to the floor.

My second time watching Logan play. The other was at Gridley. Very talented and athletic team but you can tell the difference from the coaching staff change has hurt them tremendously. They have just been able to survive off talent and those kids play hard as hell. They are so undisciplined. One on one every time down the court. As talented of a team they are they will not go as far as they should. As you advance it’s come down to execution, and coaching which they seem to lack extremely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ayalar09
#0 does great job jumping into guys . He fell to the ground 12 times.
He is really good shooter and can pass. If he figures it out he can be a great player at the next level. He has great motor.
He runs around on defense and gets bored and doubles the ball. Logan can't play defense for for more than 10 seconds and then a player traps the drive. It works in their league against inferior teams and Moreau plays the same way. Newark plays like them but more structured and disciplined.
I forgot the number but the LEFTY took some of the worst shots ever. I really like the demeanor of the rest of the team. 32 received a technical for taunting but seeemed under control most of the time. If lefty passed the ball once in a awhile they would be a lot better. IT didn't seem like anyone on the Logan team complained about his shots.
They have the talent to beat Dublin but.....

Reactions: SheldonCooper
What talent are you talking about? How many of their seniors are signed? Logan is a good team and their coach does a great job of putting the players in position to succeed.

You may not like one on one basketball, it is effective brand of basketball. Attack the mismatch.

What talent are you talking about? How many of their seniors are signed? Logan is a good team and their coach does a great job of putting the players in position to succeed.

You may not like one on one basketball, it is effective brand of basketball. Attack the mismatch.
1-on-1 basketball only effective against less talented teams, but not against teams with equal or more talent and well coached. You only have to look at Logan’s 5 losses to figure that out. Outside of Sheldon, which is a machine, Logan lost to teams with equal talent, but supremely better coached. Also, not having kids signed isn’t a measuring stick for a talented teams. Some teams may have talented players, but those players may not be signed for academic reasons.

#0 does great job jumping into guys . He fell to the ground 12 times.
He is really good shooter and can pass. If he figures it out he can be a great player at the next level. He has great motor.
He runs around on defense and gets bored and doubles the ball. Logan can't play defense for for more than 10 seconds and then a player traps the drive. It works in their league against inferior teams and Moreau plays the same way. Newark plays like them but more structured and disciplined.
I forgot the number but the LEFTY took some of the worst shots ever. I really like the demeanor of the rest of the team. 32 received a technical for taunting but seeemed under control most of the time. If lefty passed the ball once in a awhile they would be a lot better. IT didn't seem like anyone on the Logan team complained about his shots.
They have the talent to beat Dublin but.....
Agreed. If Logan can bait Dublin into playing into their on court craziness, they could beat the Gaels.

Well Steadman and Brett Thompson is ranked in the NorCal top 40 for 2019. The other Thompson is ranked top 25 in his class for NorCal. Hawkins is pretty good and crafty. That’s what i mean by talented team.

What position does the coach put them in? They run nothing. Play a gamble man to man? What game are you watching man? Give them Ashmore from Newark and this could be an undefeated team on the season.

Well Steadman and Brett Thompson is ranked in the NorCal top 40 for 2019. The other Thompson is ranked top 25 in his class for NorCal. Hawkins is pretty good and crafty. That’s what i mean by talented team.

What position does the coach put them in? They run nothing. Play a gamble man to man? What game are you watching man? Give them Ashmore from Newark and this could be an undefeated team on the season.
If Busch family was still there they’d be undefeated.

Reactions: Openlooks
Oh yeah sure it’s not the coaching but it’s the talent, Logan basketball has been terrible for over a decade but the second Easley took over the team all the talented players stared piling onto Logan.

Even the roster that went 12-14 the year before but went 19-8 with Easley despite having the same core. Or the Roster that went 28-6 all the way to the state championship game without a single D1 player. Or last years team that went 19-8 with a bunch of juniors and a sophomore pointguard.

Give me a break and respect what’s Easley has done. The calls were terrible both ways and to say our players were flopping? Our point guard damn near broke his hand and had to come out the game cause of him diving for the loose ball, the same #0 that flops was on the floor ahead of everyone for every loose ball this season.

This team puts everything on the floor and plays hard for the entire game, consistently attacking the passing lanes and sacrificing their body.

I think Logan is a solid team but the theatrics are unnecessary. Just play basketball. These guys aren't going to be the best player on their college team anymore . They need to adjust if they will ever play at the next level.

Easley should be coach of the year .
Logan went 12-0 and he gives the players the freedom to shoot whenever they want and are not worried about getting pulled. Play defense any way they want and just free lance. It works very well at Logan and thats the reason they have back to back championships.
Not questioning the coaching !

Reactions: ankleassassin
Yeah the Busch brothers would somehow make up for the talent difference and allow them to bear MC, Sheldon, Dublin and the a top 30 team nationally from Utah.

These players talents carry them to all the wins, but the coaches holding them back in all the losses. It’s funny because these players would do anything for Easley. They scream “Easley is the best coach in Norcal” after wins and fall about how he doesn’t get much credit. Don’t believe me then go watch mercury news interview after win at Moreau.

You have old players from every season since he took over returning to come watch games and practices because of the culture they’ve been able to establish at Logan. Before the past 4 seasons, Logan would consistently have more losses then wins. The disrespect for Easley is unreal in here, quit coaching from the sidelines and try actually getting in their and seeing if you can do to a program what Easley has done for us.

Logan loves Easley and backs him up at every corner, that’s all I gotta say.

Oh yeah sure it’s not the coaching but it’s the talent, Logan basketball has been terrible for over a decade but the second Easley took over the team all the talented players stared piling onto Logan.

Even the roster that went 12-14 the year before but went 19-8 with Easley despite having the same core. Or the Roster that went 28-6 all the way to the state championship game without a single D1 player. Or last years team that went 19-8 with a bunch of juniors and a sophomore pointguard.

Give me a break and respect what’s Easley has done. The calls were terrible both ways and to say our players were flopping? Our point guard damn near broke his hand and had to come out the game cause of him diving for the loose ball, the same #0 that flops was on the floor ahead of everyone for every loose ball this season.

This team puts everything on the floor and plays hard for the entire game, consistently attacking the passing lanes and sacrificing their body.

If you believe that the talent came because of Easley your sadly mistaken. Do some more research on your home school. Easley seems like a great guy and I’m not bashing him. But I’m sure the talent started to come when the Busch family showed up. Maybe that had to do something with the administration letting them go. Let’s see what happens the next year. More talent should “Pile” in right? I’m only speaking facts because I’m friends with a few parents from James Logan and Newark Memorial.

They would have beat Salesian Mpdesto Christian and Sheldon with a different coach? What are you smoking

Reactions: LoganHomer
If you believe that the talent came because of Easley your sadly mistaken. Do some more research on your home school. Easley seems like a great guy and I’m not bashing him. But I’m sure the talent started to come when the Busch family showed up. Maybe that had to do something with the administration letting them go. Let’s see what happens the next year. More talent should “Pile” in right? I’m only speaking facts because I’m friends with a few parents from James Logan and Newark Memorial.

That’s sarcasm my guy, the talent didn’t start piling in, the talent finally has been given a real chance to win games.

There were better athletes and players on teams before Easley then anyone on the roster in the past 4 seasons. Klarence Kaye, Larry Jones, Chad Schaefer just to name a few. The winning started when Easley got here.

He is an AMAZING coach. And his kids COMPETE. I'm just saying the nonsense theatrics and disrespect for the opponent were a little ridiculous. #0 is an amazing player but he acted like a clown last night and that's a reflection on the coach. Regardless he gets the most from his kids and they play as hard as anyone.

Yeah the Busch brothers would somehow make up for the talent difference and allow them to bear MC, Sheldon, Dublin and the a top 30 team nationally from Utah.

These players talents carry them to all the wins, but the coaches holding them back in all the losses. It’s funny because these players would do anything for Easley. They scream “Easley is the best coach in Norcal” after wins and fall about how he doesn’t get much credit. Don’t believe me then go watch mercury news interview after win at Moreau.

You have old players from every season since he took over returning to come watch games and practices because of the culture they’ve been able to establish at Logan. Before the past 4 seasons, Logan would consistently have more losses then wins. The disrespect for Easley is unreal in here, quit coaching from the sidelines and try actually getting in their and seeing if you can do to a program what Easley has done for us.

Logan loves Easley and backs him up at every corner, that’s all I gotta say.

Everyone has an opinion. Nothing personal. Like i said I’m sure Easley is a great guy. He seems professional and the kids do seem to love him. I’m just saying don’t give him all the credit for changing the culture. I’ve done my research do yours. I’m sure if you ask the parents they will say how much the Busch family is missed. I’m just speaking facts. I wish Logan the best. I enjoy watching how hard they play.

Like i said Easley is a great guy. His kids do compete. They have been successful and i wish them all the luck going forward. Dublin should be fun game. Hopefully someone live-streams the game as I’ll be at the O’Dowd Redwood game. I’m sure @LoganHomer will keep the message board updated.

Pleasent Grove: 2nd in Utah, 24th nationally
Salesian: 2nd in California, 3rd nationally
Sheldon: 11th in California, 29th nationally
Dublin: 17th in California, 47th nationally
Modesto Christian: 35th in California, 118th nationally

So please explain where Logan underachieved in terms of losing games they should have won? 80% of their losses have came to teams that are top 50 in the ENTIRE country and the other one was to a team with four guys that are 6'7 or taller with size being their biggest problem.

Logan has no real big man, they have a 6'6 Steadman built like a shooting guard constantly going up against real bigs. Their bench is 2 deep on a good day, with one of the two being a sophomore that came out of nowhere in the middle of the season. All that talk about "they just let #0 and #1 iso all game" makes no sense because that's one of the only reasons they've gotten as far as they have.

Theres alot of claims going on in this thread about talent and coaching, and I respect different opinions cause it's a sport but please give some reasons because it's a long weekend and I have time + have watched the team more then probably anyone on this board.

As far as the attitude, theatrics and disrespect I have nothing to say with that. They play with an edge and compete hard, they talk trash but don't say anything out of line or anything personally offensive to the opposing coach or players. Brett Thompson grew up in Oakland and has been playing with an edge his entire life, that's what has gotten him this far. Not everyone is a goody two shoes out here, the edge they play with is the reason they've gotten this far despite being the smaller team and having less guys come off the bench then any team they play against.

As for not going as far as they could this season, that's already out of the question. In the NCS bracket, they've made it to the point where they are playing against the higher seed and have not lost to any lower seeds. I don't expect them to beat Dublin at that court, but I'll tell you what: these guys will compete till the last buzzer and leave it all on the court. That edge you guys call disrespect and theatrics is the MVP of Logan.

Reactions: SmoothJay
Also, I don't mean to come off as offensive or on attack mode. Basketball is a subjective sport and we're all allowed to have different opinions, I don't claim to have more knowledge about the sport then anyone on this board. Just going to back up my dudes when it comes to their character, talent and effort.

They have enough talent to win games. That was never the discussion. You have a chance any night against anyone with the backcourt they have. Similar to the twins from Salesian. Very easy to win at the high school level when you have talent. You’re right I’ve only watched them twice this year. But the year they went on that state run i watched them 8-10 times. I see a major difference in the level of discipline and execution. It’s very noticeable. But I’m not just a fan. I’ve coached and played at a high level so i guess you can say my expectations are a lot higher. Fans will just say they are winning. They are winning games they are supposed to.

I’m not hear to bash on anyone. Just hear simply explaining my opinion. That’s what’s this board is for right? Obviously you going to be a little more biased and blinded to the flaws of players and staff because you’re an alumni. I get it.

@LoganHomer I’ve had conversations with people in both Thompson’s circle. So next time you get a chance go ask how did they end up at Logan. I bet they won’t say Easley’s name. This is my last response. Good luck to Logan going forward.

Alright Folks....The Semi-Finals are here and only one game has yet to be played (Thanks Urban). Here they are:

D1
San Leandro @ De La Salle (2/20 7:30PM) - This should be an awesome game, and a defensive battle for the ages. Keshad Johnson probably facing his stiffest challenge yet, but this one should be a darn good one.

James Logan @ Dublin (2/20 7PM) - A Gridley Rematch! Two Top 25 teams battle it out and I see a more offense-oriented game in this one. Logan seems to rely on their athleticism, and they are going to have trouble if they try to go one-on-one with any of the Dublin players, especially Robby Beasley. In December, Dublin won 72-60....I picture this game being a little closer.

D2
Redwood @ Bishop O'Dowd (2/20 7PM) - O'Dowd will be favored in this one, but I think Redwood will give them a good fight. O'Dowd has only lost two games against California teams. Once to San Leandro, Once to Salesians. Redwood's only losses recently have come at the hands of Branson.

Las Lomas @ Moreau Catholic (2/20 7PM) - Last years Las Lomas team had a very special run. People saw that one coming. No one saw Las Lomas taking two games against higher ranked opponents. Before getting their NCS bid Lomas lost 6 out of 7 games. MC's only two losses outside of the Bay Area were to James Logan. MC the better team, but Las Lomas is extremely hot right now!

D3
Salesians vs. SJND (@ Albany HS 2/20 7PM) - I don't know why Salesian's isn't playing at their gym for this one, but SJND should be happy with this location. Salesian's is arguably the best basketball team in the Country, and unarguably the best team in Northern California. SJND is led by one of the best coaches in the entire bay area, Don Lippi. I think SJND is going to put up a good fight in this game, and anyone who gets to witness this one, will be witnessing basketball poetry in motion!

SPSV @ Campolindo (2/20 7PM) - SPSV has been able to survive without their star center Dishon Jackson for this long. Unfortunately Campolindo isn't Ranco Cotate or Miramonte. SPSV beat Campo by 2 when they met at the MLK Classic, this is an awesome revenge game and it needs to be said the D3 bracket is pretty darn entertaining.

D4
Piedmont vs. Branson (College of Marin 2/20 7PM) - Branson has won 24 games in a row. There have been a ton of really good Branson teams, maybe this one is the best version. Their defense is suffocating, they play smart basketball and always have a solid game plan. Piedmont has had a great season, but Branson has a HUGE edge in this game.

Saint Mary's @ Fortuna (2/20 7PM) - A great game between two teams, who are going to give it their all for a shot at Branson. Fortuna's only loss this year came to Menlo-Atherton, while Saint Mary's has had a solid season, and is well deserving of a 3-seed. Fortuna has a huge edge with homecourt, and Saint Mary's will be making the longest trip to the Semi-Finals with a 4-hour long bus ride there, and another 4-hours back.

D5
WILL DO WRITE UP WHEN FINAL GAME IS PLAYED MONDAY

They have enough talent to win games. That was never the discussion. You have a chance any night against anyone with the backcourt they have. Similar to the twins from Salesian. Very easy to win at the high school level when you have talent. You’re right I’ve only watched them twice this year. But the year they went on that state run i watched them 8-10 times. I see a major difference in the level of discipline and execution. It’s very noticeable. But I’m not just a fan. I’ve coached and played at a high level so i guess you can say my expectations are a lot higher. Fans will just say they are winning. They are winning games they are supposed to.

I’m not hear to bash on anyone. Just hear simply explaining my opinion. That’s what’s this board is for right? Obviously you going to be a little more biased and blinded to the flaws of players and staff because you’re an alumni. I get it.

@LoganHomer I’ve had conversations with people in both Thompson’s circle. So next time you get a chance go ask how did they end up at Logan. I bet they won’t say Easley’s name. This is my last response. Good luck to Logan going forward.

I can agree that they're no where near the 2017 team in terms of discipline and execution. That 2017 team was special in my opinion, no one put respect on their names and they went out and took that respect. The bond Conner, Parilla and McGlory had started way earlier in middle school AAU then they got to add Luster who completely focused on defense and never once complained about his lack of shots.

Nor did I ever say that they ended up at Logan to play under Easley, them being cousins is one of the bigger reasons they both ended up at Logan. I don't think Easley is some recruiting chip, I'm saying the talent level at Logan has been consistent for the past 15-20 years but insanely mismanaged prior to Easley. I don't mean disrespect but compare Logan during Fortenberry and after Fort. Then go over and look at how Castro Valley is doing under Fort. That man simply should not be a headcoach.

I'm not saying you're bashing Logan, and I'm not oblivious to the fact that yeah I have a certain level of bias for this team. I'm just saying, you said what you believe and I wanted to share my opinions from the other side of the spectrum as well. So I guess our disagreements are primarily on the talent level this team has so we can both agree to disagree there. :)

To clarify my earlier post. Logan is an exciting team who has played a very good schedule. The brothers were great for Logan but they aren’t making up that 20 spot from MC. Undefeated is a unicorn or Bigfoot. It statistically doesn’t happen and almost assuredly won’t happen when a team plays the schedule that Logan has. I agree with a previous post that these are high school kids and the top teams can all beat each other. Salesian may be number 1 and undefeated but they are far from dominant. Seriously, they beat the #10 team in the country and Alameda by the essentially the same amount. This time of year is so amazing because any of these teams can get hot and go on a run.

Lastly, anyone who thinks it’s easy to do what the Logan program has done is ridiculous. That Foundation may have been put down by others but the kids clearly buy in to what he’s selling. They play as hard as anyone.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the coaching at Logan. Players love playing for coach. Isn't it suppose to be fun !! Talent coming in ! Logan gets the players who live in their neighborhood. THey could have Calipari coach them and they wouldn't beat Sheldon or Modesto!! I forget who was the last coach at Logan and I know there was some issues . Players love playing for Easley .... Nothing wrong with that !!!

Theatrics !! I respect #0 heart and how competitive he is on the court. He is a point guard who finds the open man and really defends. Fierce!
He's too good to get in the opponents huddles. Is it legal sure!! unwritten RULE! stay out of huddle and show respect and beat the the opponent without listening to what their plan is going to be. Just a poor look! its legal in colllege and NBA but players don't do it!!! Its like scoring or dunking when you're up 20 with a few seconds to go. Hold the ball and don't shoot but its legal to shoot and score

The behaviior of #0 was diplorable and uncalled for while they are a talented team for sure there behavior at times leaves alot to be desired and I wont even go into there erractic play and shot section. there is
NO direction on the bench with the busch brothers being gone.we will see what happens on Wednesday at Dublin there players and coach have boasted in the paper how bad they want Dublin we will see how that turns out.

Alright Folks....The Semi-Finals are here and only one game has yet to be played (Thanks Urban). Here they are:

D1
San Leandro @ De La Salle (2/20 7:30PM) - This should be an awesome game, and a defensive battle for the ages. Keshad Johnson probably facing his stiffest challenge yet, but this one should be a darn good one.

James Logan @ Dublin (2/20 7PM) - A Gridley Rematch! Two Top 25 teams battle it out and I see a more offense-oriented game in this one. Logan seems to rely on their athleticism, and they are going to have trouble if they try to go one-on-one with any of the Dublin players, especially Robby Beasley. In December, Dublin won 72-60....I picture this game being a little closer.

D2
Redwood @ Bishop O'Dowd (2/20 7PM) - O'Dowd will be favored in this one, but I think Redwood will give them a good fight. O'Dowd has only lost two games against California teams. Once to San Leandro, Once to Salesians. Redwood's only losses recently have come at the hands of Branson.

Las Lomas @ Moreau Catholic (2/20 7PM) - Last years Las Lomas team had a very special run. People saw that one coming. No one saw Las Lomas taking two games against higher ranked opponents. Before getting their NCS bid Lomas lost 6 out of 7 games. MC's only two losses outside of the Bay Area were to James Logan. MC the better team, but Las Lomas is extremely hot right now!

D3
Salesians vs. SJND (@ Albany HS 2/20 7PM) - I don't know why Salesian's isn't playing at their gym for this one, but SJND should be happy with this location. Salesian's is arguably the best basketball team in the Country, and unarguably the best team in Northern California. SJND is led by one of the best coaches in the entire bay area, Don Lippi. I think SJND is going to put up a good fight in this game, and anyone who gets to witness this one, will be witnessing basketball poetry in motion!

SPSV @ Campolindo (2/20 7PM) - SPSV has been able to survive without their star center Dishon Jackson for this long. Unfortunately Campolindo isn't Ranco Cotate or Miramonte. SPSV beat Campo by 2 when they met at the MLK Classic, this is an awesome revenge game and it needs to be said the D3 bracket is pretty darn entertaining.

D4
Piedmont vs. Branson (College of Marin 2/20 7PM) - Branson has won 24 games in a row. There have been a ton of really good Branson teams, maybe this one is the best version. Their defense is suffocating, they play smart basketball and always have a solid game plan. Piedmont has had a great season, but Branson has a HUGE edge in this game.

Saint Mary's @ Fortuna (2/20 7PM) - A great game between two teams, who are going to give it their all for a shot at Branson. Fortuna's only loss this year came to Menlo-Atherton, while Saint Mary's has had a solid season, and is well deserving of a 3-seed. Fortuna has a huge edge with homecourt, and Saint Mary's will be making the longest trip to the Semi-Finals with a 4-hour long bus ride there, and another 4-hours back.

D5
WILL DO WRITE UP WHEN FINAL GAME IS PLAYED MONDAY
I believe Salesian gym is to small to host an NCS semifinal doubleheader. This happens to them every year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT