ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Quarterfinal Games

I think they will probably move up even if they lose, IMO...

I believe the idea is to seed all NorCal teams 1-88 regardless of past history and then slot them into that corresponding bracket/division, i.e. 1-8 to Open, 9-24 to D1, 25-40 to D2, etc. That’s not to say they wont make some adjustments, but if a team is legitimately say the 12 best team, I don’t think they’d be dropped into D3 even if they’re a tiny school that has never had much of a history.

But, that being said there are always some head scratchers that come out of this process. There’s a huge difference from being slotted in as the 25th best team and being the top seed in D2 with home games throughout against weaker competition, or being slotted as the 24th best team and having to travel to play the D1 top seed that just missed the Open.

Reactions: ayalar09
I agree. I think Salesian is a special case and although I think Branson could compete, I don't think putting them in the Open makes sense. Just my opinion, nothing else. I could be totally off base.
that is what i was getting at... why would branson a school of that size with that team want to compete versus teams that are far superior in players and size... i would sand bag that thang all the way to the ring shop!

I believe the idea is to seed all NorCal teams 1-88 regardless of past history and then slot them into that corresponding bracket/division, i.e. 1-8 to Open, 9-24 to D1, 25-40 to D2, etc. That’s not to say they wont make some adjustments, but if a team is legitimately say the 12 best team, I don’t think they’d be dropped into D3 even if they’re a tiny school that has never had much of a history.

But, that being said there are always some head scratchers that come out of this process. There’s a huge difference from being slotted in as the 25th best team and being the top seed in D2 with home games throughout against weaker competition, or being slotted as the 24th best team and having to travel to play the D1 top seed that just missed the Open.

Observer,

What if lets say you have 1-8 in open, but then you get to 9-24 for D1 and 10 of the 16 teams ranked in order are NCS teams? Is there a limit of how many section teams can be in one bracket? It has to be I think.

Observer,

What if lets say you have 1-8 in open, but then you get to 9-24 for D1 and 10 of the 16 teams ranked in order are NCS teams? Is there a limit of how many section teams can be in one bracket? It has to be I think.

That’s a great question FC. I don’t know if that is mandated. I would think the committee would try to balance the sections out at least to a degree. But if it is obvious that 10 teams from the same section belong in D1, one would hope they have some flexibility.

No matter how much it gets studied, reviewed and finessed, there is always going to be a team that gets the lowest seed in one bracket (probable 1 & done), and a very similar team that gets the top seed in the next lower bracket (possible “state champ”). No way around that.

Reactions: ayalar09
Also the CIF playoffs have a lot more upsets than NCS or CCS (sans this year). I feel like even if you are the 24th team and have to travel to the D1 high seed, it's totally worth it to challenge yourself. You can't win every game, and no one in CIF should take anyone lightly. Salesian got upset by Folsom last year. I like the fact they seed the teams by strength in CIF and not by Divisions. I want to see my team play the best competition they can.

Reactions: observer22
No matter how much it gets studied, reviewed and finessed, there is always going to be a team that gets the lowest seed in one bracket (probable 1 & done), and a very similar team that gets the top seed in the next lower bracket (possible “state champ”).

This is the MAJOR flaw in the current system. Winners are being determined in a board room and not on the court.

I would prefer that they use a European soccer model, where we know what schools are in the "premier division" from the beginning of the year (1st, 2nd, 3rd..) and year to year teams can go up and down based on a combination of past and expected performance (transfer, talent, etc)

Anything below the premier division would not be referred to as a state champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT