ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan

Bellarmine is scrappy , can shoot it , run their stuff , and play hard for 40 minutes. With that said they are 0-5 against SHELDON this summer with SHELDON playing without Bagley and another possible starter in Dontrell Hewlett .
RIORDAN possesses one of my favorite players in Bryce but his supporting cast doesn’t always seem to play what’s best for the team for me in my opinion. This new kid played on a team with 10 guys 6-6 or bigger including 2 6-10 and himself at 6-11. They went 6-24 so the jury is still out.
Mitty , bells, and Riordan I can see beating each other and possibly a 3 way co title in WCAL. Coin flip who ends up on top going to Nor Cal Open . As they say on any given night

I didnt know the kids played more than 32 minutes. Is everyone going getting overtime pay for the extra 8 minutes?

Reactions: observer22
This upcoming season looks like it could be one of the best ever in NorCal. Lots of teams that were very good to excellent last year look to me like they'll be even better this time around...

So far as the actual topic of this thread, Riordan... No, I haven't gotten a chance to see them this summer, so I can't really comment... But I'm sure they will be tough as heck.

I did take a good luck at the schedule that Florida team with Seck played last year... Very tough slate! Quite a few of the 24 losses were close ones vs. top-flight teams.

Even the 20-point loss to IMG is darned good... IMG clobbered almost everybody they faced, with their only loss being to national #5 Mountain Brook and their only other close games also vs. nationally-ranked monster teams.

So, based on that info plus the above mixtape, I'd say the new guy will be a real force, and so will be Riordan.

Oh, and I canNOT wait for the Gridley Tournament!

Im impressed with the loads of talent that Riordan has been able to stack and attract these past few years. This is the makings of a hoops factory. But remember, you can only play 5. Players, 6, 7, 8, 9 plus their parents will pine for more attention, not to mention players 3, 4 and 5 who think they should get more touches. This isnt the 80s anymore. This is modern basketball and players/parents will get unhappy real quick and jump to another opportunity that puts them in better position to progress. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. It is what it is.

Reactions: rabbit5
Man, If we learned nothing from GSW. Long time til March. Roster sounds stacked in June and a definite contender. Their backcourt is best in NorCal IMO, 2 pitbulls. Chemistry, injuries and other factors need to fall in place. Once the Preps finds out about the new 7ftr they will shoot their shot I'm sure.
Somebody schedule Riordan - Sheldon summer game. That'd be a great fundraiser for both programs.

I’m taking Sheldons backcourt with Xavion Brown and Marcus Bagley. Both have Open experience, 1 is probably the best defending guard in NorCal and the other is probably the best scorer in NorCal. They play a national schedule and beat top 25 teams.

Nice to see a big that tries to dunk and block everything as opposed to chucking up 30 footers.....Riordan needs a legit post threat and they will be scary good with their D1 backcourt. They don't need a big that stays on the perimeter....Look forward to watching them this upcoming season

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I would like to correct myself. ESPN and rivals list Bagley as a SF. However, VC and Maxpreps (Sheldon) list him as SG. Which ever way that is to be determined. If He plays 2 then I would take Huskies Backcourt.

You really do not remember how disrespectful you were being on this thread. Sadly I do. What you stated now is only a fourth of what you posted and implied. There is too much recklessness journalism on these threads. I ignore most but when it comes to my kids I will no longer just ignore it. Most of the comments on this thread about players , I usually have some type of relationship with them. A lot of comments and hatred were shouted out about my then 16 year old son. My son wanted to leave Sacred Heart as soon as he learned Coach Barbour was not returning. I made him stay . Bryce was born and being raised in SF. Did you know his home...not apartment, etc...his home is 1 mile away from Riordan? A lot happened to my son attending Sacred Heart. A lot of things that the public doesn't know. Bryce is back to smiling again and as parents we all want our kids happy. Bryce was all league at Sacred Heart and all league at Riordan, basketball will take care of itself for him. Happiness and enjoying your high school experience is key. You only get one high school experience. I will say this again , I wish it would have worked out there but it didn't. Nobody has the right to attack him and when adults do, as long as I am breathing, I will be his champion.
You are a big Stuart Hall supporter I gather from your posts. I coached in the BCL as the head coach of Urban, I know the Burris family, I formerly coached Kyle Jasper who will be a senior point guard there now, I am helping Stuart Hall's former guard in Miles Amos right now, there is no coincidence that he is playing with Team Lillard as a unsigned senior.
A lot of things go unsaid on posts and things gets misunderstood. I have said it before...my screen name speaks for itself, no hidden agenda. Like you said" A spade is a spade" when we meet on December 18th we can speak man to man.

I called another poster a pissant because they tried to start an unsubstantiated rumor. In regards to your son, if I said something that offended either of you, I apologize because that was not my intention. All the things you do for the kids, I have nothing but respect for. Not every case is the same, and I think I lost sight of that in my last post that offended you in regards to your sons transfer.

I'm not going to continue commenting on your son, since this is what you would prefer, but I will continue to address and comment on the other student-athletes talked about on this board.

I look forward to the Riordan/SHHS matchup as well, but to be perfectly honest with you, it hasn't been on my mind too much. I have more important things to worry about than a high school basketball matchup that will be taking place probably around Xmas time, and won't even affect our League Record.

Sorry to see Coach Forslund no longer with the Riordan Hoops Program. I thought he was in a perfect role in developing / preparing the JV players for Varsity as well as providing a "consigliere" role for Coach Curtin and his staff. I wish him nothing but the best.
He will be missed.

One player has transferred out of Riordan and headed to Sacred Heart Cathedral, one of my favorite kids and long time SF Rebel, i hate to see him go, but wish him nothing but the best.

Reactions: Scott2138
Riordan now has 3 legit D1 prospects. This kid holds an offer from Oklahoma State. They also added a nice big 6’5 kid think of Tejon Sawyer from Salesian but not at the same skill level, but a very good HS player who can finish with decent hands, Riordan has all the tools to be successful. As athletic and long as any team in the state.

maybe 6 D1 guys. And a few D2 guys.

Lee, they're going to be really good assets for Clark and Monroe. Lee has definitely improved since I seen him play last year. Riordan has no excuse to win WCAL...

I felt that Riordan would have done well to let Coach Forslund run the defense last year. He was marginalized and I wouldn't have returned either.

Riordan can go VERY big when they choose to do so and can go smaller and faster when they choose to do that. Could be an extremely difficult matchup for everyone.

Was at City College last night, but didn't stay to see Riordan play. The young man from Senegal is big. Let's hope he continues to improve.

Forslund is a head coach. That's just who he is. He's not an assistant. Not really. At least not at the prep level. The second or third banana routine doesn't work. Not for him. Some high school, somewhere would be lucky to have him. As a head coach.

6 ? Whoa, big number for one high school team , especially since in the past few seasons this school hasn't produced any...I wish all of those potential guys the best. My son will just be blessed enough to get to attend a good JC or post graduate school according to a few.

6? Not a chance amigo! Bryce, Jelani and the new big! Break it down for me and name the other 3 D1 maybe kids? Positive outlook but not reality! Just my opinion, hopefully the young men prove me wrong.

I agree with you mr.monroe saw Dublin play
this summer (beat a good bellarmine team)and if people think they are less then they will be thoughly surprised.They have alot of returners and as always they are as entertaining as any team to watch. I am not sure
about them being an open caliber type of team but them and DLS should still be the top two teams in there league.I cant wait
for the Gridley tournament that is going to be a solid 3 days of hoops with riordan, Dublin,campo, weston ranch,salesian,
And st pat's up there you are probaly talking about at least seeing 3 open teams in one tournament.one more team to keep an eye on is branson those players will be playing with some kind of passion due to the loss of there teammate and one thing about Branson you HAVE to beat them because they sure dont beat themselves.

Bones, you can add Capitol Christian to your list. They will not be a pushover for any team.
Young and developing nicely.

Looking forward to seeing all of you at the GIBT
Here's wishing you great hoops

6? Not a chance amigo! Bryce, Jelani and the new big! Break it down for me and name the other 3 D1 maybe kids? Positive outlook but not reality! Just my opinion, hopefully the young men prove me wrong.

ok. they wil

Funny..
First you comment on a kid you have never actually seen play. only on Video. He according to you is legitimate D1...He is very athletic. But he needs a lot of work But he has gifts you can't teach. Second, you comment on Robert, who you say is like Tejon. I guess you mean the Salesian youngman. (Robert is 6 foot 6 and may be more skilled in the post imo than Tejon. Tejon is just bigger. ) Then you say No way to 6 D1 prospects.I can name them all and the schools showing interest. .Just see how things play out...There is a lot of good things going on at 175 Phelan Ave... I will leave it at that and let the ball speak for itself. It doesn't lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
ok. they wil

Funny..
First you comment on a kid you have never actually seen play. only on Video. He according to you is legitimate D1...He is very athletic. But he needs a lot of work But he has gifts you can't teach. Second, you comment on Robert, who you say is like Tejon. I guess you mean the Salesian youngman. (Robert is 6 foot 6 and may be more skilled in the post imo than Tejon. Tejon is just bigger. ) Then you say No way to 6 D1 prospects.I can name them all and the schools showing interest. .Just see how things play out...There is a lot of good things going on at 175 Phelan Ave... I will leave it at that and let the ball speak for itself. It doesn't lie.

Well Oklahoma State has already offered the young man, fact! So yes legit. See I only go by official offers amigo not interests. Interests means nothing, absolutely nothing. Don’t get me wrong it’s fun and exciting for the kids and parents but at the end of the day does it translate into an offer?

Stand by my assessment of the new 6’6 kid, reminds my of Tejon. Tejon has a better shooting touch, and can pass extremely well. Perhaps Monroe who coached Tejon and has seen the new 6’6 kid, can make assessment? He’s a nice player but not at Tejon’s level, not yet anyway. After the big 3 who all hold offers, who are the next 3 potential D1 kids in your opinion?

Is riordan adding any incoming freshmen or sophomores this year? who should we be on the look out for?
A couple of guys came up from JV that will develop nicely, If patient with the process, but in today's basketball, you never know, with social media and these parents,everyone is a "Bucket " as they say, the special high school teams, players, coaches and yes parents know their roles.

Well Oklahoma State has already offered the young man, fact! So yes legit. See I only go by official offers amigo not interests. Interests means nothing, absolutely nothing. Don’t get me wrong it’s fun and exciting for the kids and parents but at the end of the day does it translate into an offer?

Stand by my assessment of the new 6’6 kid, reminds my of Tejon. Tejon has a better shooting touch, and can pass extremely well. Perhaps Monroe who coached Tejon and has seen the new 6’6 kid, can make assessment? He’s a nice player but not at Tejon’s level, not yet anyway. After the big 3 who all hold offers, who are the next 3 potential D1 kids in your opinion?

The percentage of an student athlete's receiving a d1 scholarship is very low. There is a school out there for everyone though, it's just about accepting it and enjoying it. Everyone's goals are different. I have witnessed kids/families turn down D2 offers to go to prep school and ultimately end up at a Junior College. Some kids development takes longer, body, skills, maturity, academics, etc...
I know a lot of kids in Norcal have potential and I am not a college scout but I do have contact with college coaches often. You never know what they are looking for and who fits their system.
SuperLe and Crosstown Rival I know you both want the best for athletes of Norcal but may root for different high schools for apparent reasons but if you read any of my posts, I never compare kids. I like the kid Rob that is at Riordan and it's unfair for me to compare him to Tejon. I have a special relationship with Sawyer because we been through battles together, road trips, flights, meals, etc...I have witnessed Tejon play against top players in the country and do more than hold is own. Even with Salesian he came right out of football and earned MVP of that Chic Fil A high school tournament in South Carolina. The kid is special In my eyes.
At the end of the day, at Riordan there is a lot of potential. The thing about potential is you have to reach it...keep working hard .
All these kids have potential and I hope they obtain their goals,
I don't know what level they will reach but I wish them the best but I hope it's not D1 or bust. Here is some insight from me though. Bryce and I never talk about winning or D1...we always prepare and we feel like everything else will take care of itself.

Its all about development and who is getting better. Growing. etc. As parent of two former collegiate athletes, things click differently for different kids. Some develop faster. While it may take time for others. The only thing one can control is how much one works on getting better. After that things will develop the way they are supposed to happen...

The percentage of an student athlete's receiving a d1 scholarship is very low. There is a school out there for everyone though, it's just about accepting it and enjoying it. Everyone's goals are different. I have witnessed kids/families turn down D2 offers to go to prep school and ultimately end up at a Junior College. Some kids development takes longer, body, skills, maturity, academics, etc...
I know a lot of kids in Norcal have potential and I am not a college scout but I do have contact with college coaches often. You never know what they are looking for and who fits their system.
SuperLe and Crosstown Rival I know you both want the best for athletes of Norcal but may root for different high schools for apparent reasons but if you read any of my posts, I never compare kids. I like the kid Rob that is at Riordan and it's unfair for me to compare him to Tejon. I have a special relationship with Sawyer because we been through battles together, road trips, flights, meals, etc...I have witnessed Tejon play against top players in the country and do more than hold is own. Even with Salesian he came right out of football and earned MVP of that Chic Fil A high school tournament in South Carolina. The kid is special In my eyes.
At the end of the day, at Riordan there is a lot of potential. The thing about potential is you have to reach it...keep working hard .
All these kids have potential and I hope they obtain their goals,
I don't know what level they will reach but I wish them the best but I hope it's not D1 or bust. Here is some insight from me though. Bryce and I never talk about winning or D1...we always prepare and we feel like everything else will take care of itself.

Well said.

With all these guys that are coming in, the coach better win at least the Norcal open. If they don’t do that it will be a failure. Jelani, Bryce and an active 7 footer amongst all the other pieces they have. Deck is stacked.
WIn Open or the season is a failure? Sheldon, Weston Ranch, O'dowd, Moreau, Salesian, Modesto Christian and others are all high quality programs with D1 players. All of these coaches have to navigate injuries, academic issues, teenage drama, know it all parent interference, etc. That's like the unwarranted over the top criticism former state coach of the year Bill Mellis got at the end of this past season. Or the flack Lou Ritchie and Frank Knight get when everything doesn't go perfect. All of them are exceptional coaches. Sometimes stuff happens and kids miss shots or throw a bad pass. Labeling teams or coaches a failure is simple minded.

Again, (just like my comment last year). Is one ball on the court O.K. for all the talent on the court. By end of last season, Riordan wasnt sure who to have ball at end of game. Potentially very exciting, but again, the WCAL has a way of nuetralizing teams. Will be tough for Coach Curtin to spread the wealth. The individual talent is definately there. Now settle it up to balance out the needs of the team v. the players wanting to show off their talent. Coach Forselund has a calming influence. Maybe he was their just long enough to give Curtin and staff some historical perspective. Bottom line, the Forum is the best place to watch a high school game on the west side of the Bay (for the food alone).

Reactions: basketballgeek29
im not going to lie, based off talent, i think this Riordan team is one of the best wcal teams ive witnessed in awhile after the Mitty Aaron Gordon era. I just hope Riordan doesn't have a disappointing season like last year.

im not going to lie, based off talent, i think this Riordan team is one of the best wcal teams ive witnessed in awhile after the Mitty Aaron Gordon era. I just hope Riordan doesn't have a disappointing season like last year.
The end of season might have been disappointing, but they went from 4-10 the season before to 10-4 in league. As others have said, they will still have to work hard to reach their potential.

One player has transferred out of Riordan and headed to Sacred Heart Cathedral, one of my favorite kids and long time SF Rebel, i hate to see him go, but wish him nothing but the best.

Does anyone think SHC will surprise this year as well? Do they have any transfers or any upcoming players coming in besides the ones currently on board that will make noise? Coach Sean did more with less last year and it would be interesting to see how SHC proceeds from the surprise Open run they had, which no one would have predicted.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Does anyone think SHC will surprise this year as well? Do they have any transfers or any upcoming players coming in besides the ones currently on board that will make noise? Coach Sean did more with less last year and it would be interesting to see how SHC proceeds from the surprise Open run they had, which no one would have predicted.
Anything is possible in sports , especially high school sports. SHC won 3 league games last season but got hot at the right time with no pressure or expectations. SHC had a big senior class. SHC also lost Oscsr and Devin as they transferred out. Trae transferred in which will help. I believe they will play hard and still compete successfully.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT