ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan

As others have stated, i haven't seen anyone write that Riordan will win out this year, just that they will have some height and length on their roster, with a possible starting frontcourt of 6'8", 6'9", & 7'0", with 6'3" Clark and Monroe in the backcourt. They'll also have a 6'6" and 6'8" backup. Not bad..

Pretty scary, even in the 80s Riordan never had this type of size and they took WCAL etc, easily, so the future for basketball at the school is oozing with potential now.

It was a pretty cool accomplishment. However, winning State > winning CCS.

Yes, I view it as two different fruits but both are definitely good history. SHC being the first school in SF to do this makes it more special for the school. Also, they did it with not one 1st teamer or all leaguer is even more noteworthy and important. Mission had a bonafide star player or two.

Last edited:
Riordan has talent but...

1. Mitty 9-3
2. Serra 8-4
3. Bellarmine 8-4
4. Riordan 8-4
5. SI . 7-7
6. SF 7-7
7. SHC 4-8
8. VC 1-11
Serra graduated their two top scorers in Rees and McDonald. Easily 25-30 points/game between them. Which returning Padres replace that scoring load? WCAL is going to be a battle this season. Last season's Mitty-Riordan matchups were all close with each game being decided in the final seconds; Mitty-Bells were great contests. Bells upset Riordan in OT in their 3rd matchup. Serra, SI, SHC and SF will always show up and battle to the end.

Pretty scary, even in the 80s Riordan never had this type of size and they took WCAL etc, easily, so the future for basketball at the school is oozing with potential now.

Even with this height, none of these kids are better 80s D. Fontana or 90s J. Wilson. THEY WERE MEN! They would eat these current Riordan guys for lunch.

Even with this height, none of these kids are better 80s D. Fontana or 90s J. Wilson. THEY WERE MEN! They would eat these current Riordan guys for lunch.
You can say that about a lot of players on every roster. Jaha Wilson was a player. I played against him in the Crusader Classic in 1992. We beat Riordan that year. Great high school player.

Reactions: Scott2138
The biggest frontcourt perhaps in high school basketball history was the Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) team of 2015 featuring Zach Collins (Gonzaga/Trailblazers), Stephen Zimmerman (UNLV/Magic, G-League) and Chase Jeter (Duke/Arizona). This year's Riordan team will be comparable in size. Not even to mention Jelani and Bryce. Could be a lot of fun to watch. Hope the college recruiters will not be too big of a distraction. It will be a big task for the coaches and parents.

not. comparable. One is ccs. the other a state title. there is a difference.

QUOTE="Scott2138, post: 238051, member: 2030"]SHC winning the OPEN was pretty huge too. How would you compare that win to Missions?[/QUOTE]

You can say that about a lot of players on every roster. Jaha Wilson was a player. I played against him in the Crusader Classic in 1992. We beat Riordan that year. Great high school player.
Irish beat them in 1992 at Kezar. Played some good defense and had a consistent offense.

One is ccs. the other a state title. there is a difference

In the open era, is there a difference?

In the competitive equity era, winning CCS open is more impressive than winning a division 3 "state title". Division 3 title now means you are anywhere from 37 th to 41st best team in Northern California.

Never step on others to make yourself look good, with that being said, I am done with this site. It's been real.

Before I say what I’m going to say. I myself am 5’8. I am short, hence why I played baseball. This is my 2 cents, I’ll probably be attacked, called rude and called a hater. But it’s just my observation.

All teams are looking for bigger guards. The no 1 point guard in 2020 is a 6’7 kid on Montverde. Everyone wants someone 6’3-6’4 or taller now to run the point. It sucks but this is the reality of basketball in 2019.

Cheering for your son, but I wouldn’t worry about something like rankings. If anything just use those rankings as motivation to prove people wrong.....he has scholarship offers and that right there is a huge accomplishment.

To what are you referring, Mr. Monroe?
To comment on it would seem as If I am disrespecting the other players which I am not. Norcal preps has B ranked pretty curiously to say the least. Post B stats, offers, etc next to any player in norcal and I will be silent. High school and AAU, the Gauntlet series has the finals left, B is 7th in the country in scoring, all the players on the list deserve to be recognized but I only responded out of respect because you addressed me. Done for a while on these threads.
Ayalar, I hear you about size , only thing is B holds 12 d1 offers...tops in the country in scoring. Seems curious to me that when B played Splash City they made the finals, B played Soldiers they qualified for Peach Jam and won Vegas, B comes to Lillard they have their first winning season in years and make Adidas finals . B goes to Riordan and they go D1 from D3 increasing their league wins by 6.
Just a few small facts

Please, don't even read those lists. They are meaningless. If you believed recruiting hype, Notre Dame football and Arizona basketball would have won at least half a dozen National Championships over the past 15 years.

I know many college coaches and they laugh at those lists.

Where are these rankings? Im curious now. B.M is a player period! Its a marathon and 12+ offers tells me he's winning to the eyes that matter. Keep grinding, kids not paying for college - Thats the ultimate win.

To comment on it would seem as If I am disrespecting the other players which I am not. Norcal preps has B ranked pretty curiously to say the least. Post B stats, offers, etc next to any player in norcal and I will be silent. High school and AAU, the Gauntlet series has the finals left, B is 7th in the country in scoring, all the players on the list deserve to be recognized but I only responded out of respect because you addressed me. Done for a while on these threads.
Ayalar, I hear you about size , only thing is B holds 12 d1 offers...tops in the country in scoring. Seems curious to me that when B played Splash City they made the finals, B played Soldiers they qualified for Peach Jam and won Vegas, B comes to Lillard they have their first winning season in years and make Adidas finals . B goes to Riordan and they go D1 from D3 increasing their league wins by 6.
Just a few small facts

I understand the critique and can see the argument for Bryce being higher.

For me, the 2020 class is very fluid (more so than other recent classes by the point of the rising senior summer). From the viewing weekend, Bryce made the biggest statement of anyone in NorCal HS basketball.

We are updating the rankings again post-July

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Please, don't even read those lists. They are meaningless. If you believed recruiting hype, Notre Dame football and Arizona basketball would have won at least half a dozen National Championships over the past 15 years.

It was sent to me by a hs coach that comments on this thread and I quote" look at this, lol"

I hope Notre Dame does well since two of my former players are going to be anchors on that line. Aaron Banks and Tosh Baker.

@Renard Monroe Like others on this board wish you and your son nothing but the best. Every year Riordan/Hall play each other, and after that game ends, I hope for the best for both teams since playing each other again after is highly unlikely.

The small amount of videos I have seen, I have seen guys much taller giving him a hard time on defense. He plays well for 5'11, and reminds me a lot of Markus Howard (attitude), Nate Robinson (style of play). He's a winner. And knows how to score.

But I look at a guy like Kihei Clark. I see how hard he plays defense, how he distributes the ball, I think colleges preference this over scoring nowadays. I would love to see Bryce adopt that aspect of Clark's game, maybe focus more on distribution and defense.

they won ccs and lost after. there is a difference. I would rather win a state title. Personally.

In the open era, is there a difference?

In the competitive equity era, winning CCS open is more impressive than winning a division 3 "state title". Division 3 title now means you are anywhere from 37 th to 41st best team in Northern California.

I agree that most D1 coaches are looking for bigger guards, but players like Jordan Ford continue to prove that small guards have a place and can succeed on the big stage. There is a big difference from HS to college ball. In HS a 6’7” player most likely will be a center and point guards may be scoring guards. At the D1 level 6’7” is likely a small forward or shooting guard and a 5’11” guard would become the point. College coaches know what they are looking at and looking for in a player. Parents and players who are given offers should be thankful and choose the school that best fits for the continued growth of the student athlete. Remember this, you may think you are a D1 player, but if no D1 schools are looking at you, you are are not D1... at this time.

I think we fall in love with size way too much. If you can play and have an exceptional skill, a smart team/coach will use you. Carsen Edwards is a generous 6'1. Shot the lights out and its going to play meaningful minutes for Boston. Cole Anthony is 6'2 and going to be likely a top 5 pick next year. Jordan Ford 6'1, has gotten better every single year and at times can dominate. Rather have guys that can play no matter the height vs a tall guy who doesnt have any other "skill" than being tall.

I think we fall in love with size way too much. If you can play and have an exceptional skill, a smart team/coach will use you. Carsen Edwards is a generous 6'1. Shot the lights out and its going to play meaningful minutes for Boston. Cole Anthony is 6'2 and going to be likely a top 5 pick next year. Jordan Ford 6'1, has gotten better every single year and at times can dominate. Rather have guys that can play no matter the height vs a tall guy who doesnt have any other "skill" than being tall.
Bryce is going to be Bryce not another guard named. He hasn't struggled vs any guard. Big or small. They have struggled guarding him. That's why he is 7th in the country in scoring. The rankings thing bothered me cause it's from NorCal , if your area thinks this it's a problem. Please tell the opposing coaches he is the 5th best player on the team so they can start double teaming the other players and playing box and 1 on them...lol
Its going to be what it's going to be. But to say that college coaches are looking for this or that Is opinion not fact. Bryce is 5'11 with 12 D1 offers...so I guess more than a few like the way he plays and that he is big enough for their style of play. Bryce lead Sacred Heart in assists, Lead Riordan in assists, lead Soldiers in assists, leads Team Lillard in assists.
My confusion and post came from rankings that was sent to me. I don't want it to turn into a Bryce thread. Kid deserves better is all, proved himself on a local stage , National stage, high school stage...it is what it is. Good luck to all. Last AAU tournament of his career starts tomorrow, going to enjoy it, take pictures and smile. #adidasfinals #lastride

why did Bryce leave SHC ? Seems like very similar systems. Both allow freedom to shoot.
SHC would've won it all with Bryce last season
Traveling down to LA so I couldn't respond. Sacred Heart had a tough road but finished on top in the playoffs playing with a chip on their shoulder and got it done. Not sure if they would have won it all with Bryce but thank you for thinking that. As he stated no reason to bring all that up. I wish it would have worked out but it didn't. Bryce has attended 3 schools his entire life...The San Francisco School, Sacred Heart and now Riordan so you know we are not the transferring type. My oldest son attended the San Francisco School and Serra.

Didnt a certain poster say he'd retire from the board and hs hoops if Burris transferred?
"Today was a good day" in my Cube voice

Reactions: Jaw Knee
I wonder if anyone will be all upset and attack like they did Bryce
Nigel Burris has transferred to Archbishop Mitty!

I'm not going to continue to apologize for something I already apologized for multiple times. I made comments about a situation, they were wrong, and you continue to hammer me over them. That's on you.

I'm not going to attack anyone. Mitty plays better competition than Stuart Hall does, and while I think our team with Nigel next season could have easily challenged for the D4 or D3 state title, NCS and BCL West, I still think our guys will rally around this and have a tremendously surprising season next year.

Guess there is nothing wrong with having two favorite teams right?

-Ray

I'm not going to continue to apologize for something I already apologized for multiple times. I made comments about a situation, they were wrong, and you continue to hammer me over them. That's on you.

I'm not going to attack anyone. Mitty plays better competition than Stuart Hall does, and while I think our team with Nigel next season could have easily challenged for the D4 or D3 state title, NCS and BCL West, I still think our guys will rally around this and have a tremendously surprising season next year.

-Ray
Not sure if you have a guilty conscience, but I honestly was not hammering you at all. I accepted your apology. You were not the only poster that was upset about the transfer. When the news of Nigel transferring came about, I immediately thought of you. You know that it's ironic! No hard feelings toward you at all.

Reactions: ayalar09
I'm just going to miss watching Nigel's game inside of the Dungeon. His ability to hit the 3-point shot. I remember when I saw him come off the bench his Freshman year during the Bgame Lions Tournament. I turned over to a brother of one of his teammates and said, "That guy is going to be special." He's been a force ever since. Even though it was only two years, Nigel did a lot for our program over the last two years. Watching him play was a treat, but now for the Knights its up to other guys to step up and fill the void of losing both Amos and Burris.

-Ray

Nope... I have three. Campo, St. Joe's, DLS. As far as I've seen, I've never gotten any grief for it. A little light-hearted needling, I guess, but no grief... :)

Heck, I may have to add a 4th team, my alma mater Berean Christian. I loved the school, but got so sick of the heavy-handed Bible-thumping that I can't make myself find time to go to their games...

However, my grandnephew (sophomore) is considering trying out for the Eagles... If he makes the team I suppose I'll have to suck it up and attend a game or two...

Reactions: ayalar09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT