ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan

Anything is possible in sports , especially high school sports. SHC won 3 league games last season but got hot at the right time with no pressure or expectations. SHC had a big senior class. SHC also lost Oscsr and Devin as they transferred out. Trae transferred in which will help. I believe they will play hard and still compete successfully.
Sorry to hear about Cheng and Mims leaving. Trying to figure out why big Oscar is transferring for a second time, his senior year, nevertheless. He had a sound game by the end of last season. McPherson will add some scoring punch for the Irish. He and McCoy will make a solid backcourt.

Sorry to hear about Cheng and Mims leaving. Trying to figure out why big Oscar is transferring for a second time, his senior year, nevertheless. He had a sound game by the end of last season. McPherson will add some scoring punch for the Irish. He and McCoy will make a solid backcourt.
The family moved.

Oscar improved every game for the 2 years he was there. Wherever he goes Im sure his growth as a person and basketball player will continue. He will be missed next year by SH. Mims for whatever reason didnt quite break into MacKay's rotation. He had the size to really contribute but it didnt work out. Hope he catches on elsewhere and finds his niche. SH will really need to find some size or this next season will be a rough one. They have two nice pieces in Kori and RayJohn to build off of.

Reactions: Scott2138
I don't see them being a threat to the top 3 teams in that league this year. But you know under coach McKay they will show up and play hard and compete

RUFKM???

Yes, Hawaii.

Sad..McCoy and Jackson and Trae looking for a new big. I agree Oscar was getting better and better and it is very sad he didn't get to finish his senior year at SHC, but at least he finished his career at SHC at a high note. Well, hope some transfers come in. Back to rebuilding again. Mims didn't get into his sophomore year but he had upside. SHC had a good frosh A team so I think a lot of them will be put to the test for Varsity early since the JV team was not very good. Hey, Riordan let us have one guy..lots of playing time at SHC:)

Oscar improved every game for the 2 years he was there. Wherever he goes Im sure his growth as a person and basketball player will continue. He will be missed next year by SH. Mims for whatever reason didnt quite break into MacKay's rotation. He had the size to really contribute but it didnt work out. Hope he catches on elsewhere and finds his niche. SH will really need to find some size or this next season will be a rough one. They have two nice pieces in Kori and RayJohn to build off of.

I guess it just never gets easier for McKay....compared to Barbour.

Honestly appreciate that, with all the negative stuff that is often spewed out. I truly appreciate it!

I think its really one or two guys that fit that criteria and alot is just hot garbage. If reasonable and rationale criticism backed by objective views and not subjective feelings were more prevalent here, we'd have a better forum.

Having said that, I'd love to see Bryce put together a Paris Austin-like senior year. I think their games are very comparable at this stage of their playing careers. There is no Ivan Rabb on Riordan but they have a lot of guys hopefully know their roles and sacrifice for each other. Thats the only way they will bring back hardware next season.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I think its really one or two guys that fit that criteria and alot is just hot garbage. If reasonable and rationale criticism backed by objective views and not subjective feelings were more prevalent here, we'd have a better forum.

Having said that, I'd love to see Bryce put together a Paris Austin-like senior year. I think their games are very comparable at this stage of their playing careers. There is no Ivan Rabb on Riordan but they have a lot of guys hopefully know their roles and sacrifice for each other. Thats the only way they will bring back hardware next season.

What is the cost to go to these bay area Catholic schools? With the cost of living in the bay, it must be expensive.

Last edited:

I agree, good assessment. I honestly before Bryce transferred I didn't comment on here, I was a looky Lou, I let things be said but things started getting out of hand. I may not agree with everyone posts but for the most part I can respect them. Everyone opinions/feelings are valid except for character attacks, etc... so I appreciate your post!
We know Paris very well. I coached his younger brother for many years , Terrence Austin. Terry(their father) and I are friends. Only time will tell how successful this year will be for Riordan, Bryce, etc...the one thing that I can say is he is working hard on his chosen sport. He is happy and enjoying his high school experience. That is all a parent can ask for. I look forward to this upcoming season and his decision on where he will continue his education after Riordan.
There are a lot of talented high school teams this season and I am excited to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: jordan24

On youtube, Oscar Cheng has some interviews on his school in Hawaii. He states he is still back in the Bay Area to finish his AAU league. Kid has a good attitude and appears pretty mature. But he and his brother officially moved back to Hawaii and he intends to go to University of Hawaii to play basketball.

Haven't seen this sort of hype on the "CITY" team Riordan since Dwayne Fontana and Dorian Maningo.

Never? I don't know many schools that can say that. The WCAL top 3-4 teams are going to war this season. Def going to bring me down to that neck.
Tallest players I recall were 6-9/6-8 - Kevin Restani, Chris Munk maybe John Tofi, and the past 2 seasons with Chan and Riiny. The Crusaders also have an Asian kid , ~6-8, playing this Summer...
How many 7-footers has the WCAL ever had? I only recall Serra’s Jack Wilson.

Last edited:
Tallest players I recall were 6-9/6-8 - Kevin Restani, Chris Munk maybe John Tofi, and the past 2 seasons with Chan and Riiny. The Crusaders also have an Asian kid , ~6-8, playing this Summer...
How many 7-footers has the WCAL ever had? I only recall Serra’s Jack Wilson.

The late Patrick Dennehy via St. Francis was 6’10.

Oscar Cheng went off against my Knights last year, and it's going to be very interesting to see how it affects his game playing on the Island.

I'm not going to pretend like I know much about Hawaii high school basketball, but I can easily assume it is not nearly at the level the Bay Area is. Cheng should absolutely demolish the competition over there probably averaging 25 and 15 a game, and I could see his team versus Maryhill for the Hawaii State title.

Wish him nothing but the best of luck in Hawaii.....SH is losing a good one.

Oscar Cheng went off against my Knights last year, and it's going to be very interesting to see how it affects his game playing on the Island.

I'm not going to pretend like I know much about Hawaii high school basketball, but I can easily assume it is not nearly at the level the Bay Area is. Cheng should absolutely demolish the competition over there probably averaging 25 and 15 a game, and I could see his team versus Maryhill for the Hawaii State title.

Wish him nothing but the best of luck in Hawaii.....SH is losing a good one.
you dont know much about basketball period if you read bac a few months.

Riordan base is good for hyping Riordan every summer. This one might actually bare fruit.
Except It's not the Riordan base doing the hyping. This thread looks like people who have an interest in prep basketball and a natural curiosity for a team that looks like it has an unusual number of tall players. Same type of interest as when Mitty has had their exceptional big men.

Reactions: jordan24
Riordan base is good for hyping Riordan every summer. This one might actually bare fruit.
Those 2001-02 Kately/Tofi-led teams came with lot of hype and delivered. 2 NorCal Titles and One D3 State Title.

Let's put it another way: This may be a golden opportunity for the Riordan athletic program to make a significant mark on the NorCal prep sports scene. It's been awhile in the signature sports (football, basketball, baseball, track and field). The program's overall struggles at the WCAL and NorCal levels have been well-documented. There is no reason to rehash those troubles again. Let's just hope for a big hoops splash by the Crusaders in 2019-20.

Last edited:
Let's put it another way: This may be a golden opportunity for the Riordan athletic program to make a significant mark on the NorCal prep sports scene. It's been awhile in the signature sports (football, basketball, baseball, track and field). The program's overall struggles at the WCAL and NorCal levels have been well-documented. There is no reason to rehash those troubles again. Let's just hope for a big hoops splash by the Crusaders in 2019-20.

Mission winning the D3 title a couple years ago was HUGE. Sure it wasnt Open Division but I personally think D3 is where I'd draw the line to where I'd consider that a legit title. D4 and lower just isnt the same level of competition.

Mission winning the D3 title a couple years ago was HUGE. Sure it wasnt Open Division but I personally think D3 is where I'd draw the line to where I'd consider that a legit title. D4 and lower just isnt the same level of competition.

The new competitive equity model has changed the calculus big time. After the Open Division and Division I, the rest of the divisions are terribly watered down to the point of absurdity.

Reactions: SF_Mikey

SHC winning the OPEN was pretty huge too. How would you compare that win to Missions?

Riordan has talent but...

1. Mitty 9-3
2. Serra 8-4
3. Bellarmine 8-4
4. Riordan 8-4
5. SI . 7-7
6. SF 7-7
7. SHC 4-8
8. VC 1-11

Riordan has talent but...

1. Mitty 9-3
2. Serra 8-4
3. Bellarmine 8-4
4. Riordan 8-4
5. SI . 7-7
6. SF 7-7
7. SHC 4-8
8. VC 1-11
As others have stated, i haven't seen anyone write that Riordan will win out this year, just that they will have some height and length on their roster, with a possible starting frontcourt of 6'8", 6'9", & 7'0", with 6'3" Clark and Monroe in the backcourt. They'll also have a 6'6" and 6'8" backup. Not bad..

As others have stated, i haven't seen anyone write that Riordan will win out this year, just that they will have some height and length on their roster, with a possible starting frontcourt of 6'8", 6'9", & 7'0", with 6'3" Clark and Monroe in the backcourt. They'll also have a 6'6" and 6'8" backup. Not bad..
They won 10 league last year but somehow they get worse and win 8 this season. Looking forward to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT